Best chippy in Edinburgh when you were wee..

Morgan

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It is indeed. They have a couple of branded vans with the names of both chippies on them. The Corbie isn't the best but it's always busy so you normally get fairly fresh stuff that hasn't been sitting in a heater for hours. 

I think that's maybe where The Gold Sea goes wrong, because it never seems to be busy these days.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Locky

• Tazio

• I P Knightley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

When folk take their suppers home, do they eat with their hands or get the cutlery out?

Vast majority of the time it will be hands, but a steak pie supper is pretty tricky. Or if I get chips, cheese and curry out a chippy I'll use a fork too.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Locky said:

I think that's maybe where The Gold Sea goes wrong, because it never seems to be busy these days.

folk are feared to go in there as there are always polis at the Oceana next door dealing with the usual paggers etc.

4 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

folk are feared to go in there as there are always polis at the Oceana next door dealing with the usual paggers etc.

Funny you mention that because I broke my Oceana virginity only last month. :lol: 

Was pretty quiet when I was there tbf. Just a bunch of auld yins in for the Scotland game. Naturally I got on like a house on fire with the locals. Ended up in the Spey after it. :ninja: 

20 minutes ago, Locky said:

Funny you mention that because I broke my Oceana virginity only last month. :lol: 

Was pretty quiet when I was there tbf. Just a bunch of auld yins in for the Scotland game. Naturally I got on like a house on fire with the locals. Ended up in the Spey after it. :ninja: 

Used to be wild in there at the weekend when it was the Carousel. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Used to be wild in there at the weekend when it was the Carousel. 

When did it become the Oceana roughly? That's all I've ever known it as. My earliest memories of it being the Oceana would probably be around 2002/03.

Willie Blair's chippie in Gilmerton.  I can still recall the delicious aroma coming from the shop as I walked down the street on a cauld winter night.

On 15/11/2021 at 20:01, hereford_hearts said:

Victor Tarry was my next door neighbor when I was growing up. Free black pudding and chips for me.

When I was about 13, I discovered that I could watch his wife topless sunbathing out of the window at the top of the stairs. In later years I talked to my dad about, and he knew about it. He reckoned she knew about it to, as she would only put the radio she took outside up loud when she was topless. Was never topless when Victor was at home.

That made me laugh.  Course he ****ing did :lol: 

On a side topic are chippies considered good value for money these days? Growing up they where a treat, probably due to the cost involved but felt like it was value for money. 

These days I’m not so sure - roughly on comparison a burger meal from a well known fast food joint is cheaper than a fish supper, not comparable  exactly in terms of the food type but still on cost/value seems better. 

im not advocating either by the way - just interested in opinions if a supper is felt as ‘good value’ 

Edited by Angry Haggis

The ones at the Chesser Inn and Wheatsheaf

Both well run and took no crap .. easy to get barred for being a bit cheeky

But if you chatted up the lassies serving you got a chip mountain !!

58 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

On a side topic are chippies considered good value for money these days? Growing up they where a treat, probably due to the cost involved but felt like it was value for money. 

These days I’m not so sure - roughly on comparison a burger meal from a well known fast food joint is cheaper than a fish supper, not comparable  exactly in terms of the food type but still on cost/value seems better. 

im not advocating either by the way - just interested in opinions if a supper is felt as ‘good value’ 

I'd say a jumbo spicy haggis supper coming in around the price of a pint is value for money. 😋

1 hour ago, Angry Haggis said:

I'd still say they are tbh. A supper and a can of juice costs about a fiver, but a decent supper will fill you right up. Go for a Chinese or an Indian and you'll feel inclined to spend 2 or 3 times that. Unless that's just me. :lol: 

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Willie Blair's chippie in Gilmerton.  I can still recall the delicious aroma coming from the shop as I walked down the street on a cauld winter night.

Was that at the crossroads?

There was a chippie further up, Down from Mitchell's called Claudias.

18 hours ago, Pap said:

Was that at the crossroads?

There was a chippie further up, Down from Mitchell's called Claudias.

At the corner of Newtoft Street and Hyvot Bank Avenue.  The building is still there, but the chip shop disappeared many years ago.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

At the corner of Newtoft Street and Hyvot Bank Avenue.  The building is still there, but the chip shop disappeared many years ago.

Ah ok. It was Haloman (or something like that), Cantonese takeaway for years when i was growing up. Think its a tanning salon now.

On 16/11/2021 at 21:29, William H. Bonney said:

The international was round the corner from viewforth. I was at boroughmuir when I went to it.  
Bottom of viewforth then turn left onto gilmour place. That’s where the chippy was. 
i think the family that owned the international also owned the globetrotter. 

On 16/11/2021 at 21:25, I P Knightley said:

I'm confused. You're in my neck of the woods and I've used the chippy in Gilmore Place quite a few times but I thought that the International was the name of the chippy at the bottom of Yeaman Place (which is where my folks used to get our fish suppers).

Both good enough but I think the Gilmore Place one was better.

My mate's dad used to take us to what I remember as The International Restauarant on Gilmore Place c.1982-84, often after home games, and occasionally *namedrop* with Johnny haynes.  I believe it was on the south side of the street up those 2/3 steps, in the section between Viewforth and Leamington Road. Now it's a long time ago but any idea if they were entirely separate 'eateries' (lol, see a recent seethe post :D ) or perhaps owned by the same person/family? Or, perhaps I'm just talking pish wrt name, all the rest happened!

Naisys Tackle
On 15/11/2021 at 16:58, Morgan said:

There was a good one at Newington, but it’s name escapes me right now?

Bratties after the pool. 

On 17/11/2021 at 10:38, William H. Bonney said:

I used to like the chippy on wardlaw place in gorgie. It’s now cheeky chicken. 
This was when I was living there 2009-2015. I can’t recall it’s name but I actually thought it was better than the gorgie fry. 

Was it not called C. Star? The guy that worked or owned it  now runs The Chip inn at Oxgangs or bottom chippy as it was known. 

broxburnjambo

The Gold Sea at the bottom of Ferry road. Always a visit at lunch time from school. Great chippy. On the subject of chippies. I had the unpleasant experience of buying a jumbo sausage supper from the chippie opposite Haymarket station on Saturday night.  That was all they had left and they charged me £6.00 for the privilege. I was expecting Robin Hood to appear from the back.

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

My mate's dad used to take us to what I remember as The International Restauarant on Gilmore Place c.1982-84, often after home games, and occasionally *namedrop* with Johnny haynes.  I believe it was on the south side of the street up those 2/3 steps, in the section between Viewforth and Leamington Road. Now it's a long time ago but any idea if they were entirely separate 'eateries' (lol, see a recent seethe post :D ) or perhaps owned by the same person/family? Or, perhaps I'm just talking pish wrt name, all the rest happened!

I've now worked it out in my befuddled memory from a few years before your timeframe but also covering it.

Yep, The International was the posh one from the 3 within a drive and a 7-iron of me. It had a sit-in restaurant; you're right - opposite and a few paces up the street from the Viewforth church. Then up the hill, The Globetrotter had the slightly more 'exotic' menu (I remember deep fried mushrooms being on the card) and then down the hill, the Aquamarine in Yeaman Place (about 4 doors up from Dundee St) was the most 'honest' with fish, haggis, pie & chicken suppers and not much else.

N Lincs Jambo

Been some great chippies in Edinburgh over the years. Early 70s for me was Tarry's Manse Road which has had a few shouts, The Grill and Griddle at Carrick Knowe shops and Stenhouse Cross chippy. All excellent.

Late 70s the Kingfisher on Bread Street where I had my first ever pizza - yes ham and mushroom and fully deep fried! About the same time as an underage drinker we used to go to L'Aquila Bianca at Stockbridge. It was also licenced to sell alcohol and if you you wanted you could have had a bottle of champagne with your fish supper. Changed days. 

21 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've now worked it out in my befuddled memory from a few years before your timeframe but also covering it.

Yep, The International was the posh one from the 3 within a drive and a 7-iron of me. It had a sit-in restaurant; you're right - opposite and a few paces up the street from the Viewforth church. Then up the hill, The Globetrotter had the slightly more 'exotic' menu (I remember deep fried mushrooms being on the card) and then down the hill, the Aquamarine in Yeaman Place (about 4 doors up from Dundee St) was the most 'honest' with fish, haggis, pie & chicken suppers and not much else.

Thanks, IP ... I wasn't at all familiar with the area in my younger days, alas the details have faded but I did enjoy the hospitality he generously invited upon me, as my folks rarely ever ate out.

There was a chippy near Yeaman Place, on one of the side streets, maybe Bryson Road, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.  It was my 'go to' if I was skint, as they always gave me tons of chips. Any ideas?

jambo east anglia
38 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a chippy near Yeaman Place, on one of the side streets, maybe Bryson Road, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.  It was my 'go to' if I was skint, as they always gave me tons of chips. Any ideas?

There was one on Bryson Road that I used to frequent when I was at Boroughmuir Annexe on Watson Crescent.  Sorry,can't remember the name but their white pudding supper was great 😃

Can't see the Alba D'Oro in Henderson Row mentioned anywhere. Excellent in mid to late 80s deep fried cauliflower was a new offering for me in less cosmopolitan times.