Rittenhouse trial

JackLadd

Felix Lighter
59 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

As someone who normally watches left leaning American news i'm pretty fed up with most of them now after the trial. I was watching CNN post trial and they mentioned Jacob Blakes murder, Kyle illegally taking the gun across state lines, executing two people etc. It was quite clear those commentating had never watched the trial. 

Oops, multi quote and booze don't mix.

53 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

When I wrote oblivion I seem to recall I thought it was funny, now I cannot remember why.

I am sorry but I cannot under any circumstance  see a cop putting himself in the circumstances Rittenhouse did.. In the kid we are discussing someone who I believe has what can be a harmless mental condition, but in his case has proven his desire to be someone  and  to  be noticed.  A cop with again my uneducated guesses as to his mental condition is unlikely to get through the employment screening.  I cannot even imagine a cop getting himself in that predicament.

Would a cop haveany choice but to place himself into those circumstances, a riot? Surely it is a cops duty as a peace officer after all? Perhaps if the authorities had been on the ball the night before then daft kids like Rittenhouse and his cohorts might not have felt the need to be there the following night.

I'll rephrase the question Bob, if that had been you, would you have let them relieve you of your weapon?

Edited by Felix Lighter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sharpie

• hughesie27

• Des Lynam

• JackLadd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Zimmerman should have been found guilty in my opinion. 

Ignored police instructions when told not to follow the kid for no logical reason. 

If he listens to those orders. Nobody dies. 100% his fault.

I defended Zimmerman at the time but I am appalled at his behaviour post-trial. Trying to sell the gun etc.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

He was a convicted kiddy fiddler. Sodomised at least one of the five young boys between the ages of 9 and 11 that he abused. However I doubt rittenhouse knew anything about that on the night. 

He had no idea but having a scary 36 year old man try and attack you when you are only 17 isn't fun.

3 hours ago, Felix Lighter said:

Oops, multi quote and booze don't mix.

Would a cop haveany choice but to place himself into those circumstances, a riot? Surely it is a cops duty as a peace officer after all? Perhaps if the authorities had been on the ball the night before then daft kids like Rittenhouse and his cohorts might not have felt the need to be there the following night.

I'll rephrase the question Bob, if that had been you, would you have let them relieve you of your weapon?

No.

13 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I defended Zimmerman at the time but I am appalled at his behaviour post-trial. Trying to sell the gun etc.

He had no idea but having a scary 36 year old man try and attack you when you are only 17 isn't fun.

Im more appalled he shot dead two people really that selling a gun.  And as others noted he didnt know one of the guys he killed was an abuser so he gets no kudos for that really.  Hes a dangerous wee scroat. A Trump in the making. Trailer trash. 

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Im more appalled he shot dead two people really that selling a gun.  And as others noted he didnt know one of the guys he killed was an abuser so he gets no kudos for that really.  Hes a dangerous wee scroat. A Trump in the making. Trailer trash. 

You are confusing two different cases. I was referring to George Zimmerman who shot Trayvon Martin in 2012. He was the one who tried to sell the gun he used.

Kyle hasn't done anything like that (yet). I agree that he didn't know about the criminal history of those men he shot.

Being on those streets was irresponsible of him but still a legitimate self defense claim. You are allowed to fight back if people are trying to harm you.

On 20/11/2021 at 04:22, Captain Sausage said:

Everything about that night was avoidable, but laying sole responsibility one one kid because it fits your political narrative is pathetic. 

What are you talking about? If this witless fantasist who wanted to play action man hadn't been there two people would not be dead and a third injured. It's as simple as that.

And incidentally I have no political narrative. What I do have is a wife and a home in this country where I don't want witless wannabe pricks like this one roaming the streets with deadly weapons. 

13 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Kyle hasn't done anything like that (yet). I agree that he didn't know about the criminal history of those men he shot.

Being on those streets was irresponsible of him but still a legitimate self defense claim. You are allowed to fight back if people are trying to harm you.

Kyle? You on first name terms now? A fanboy? Got the Kyle posters yet?

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Kyle? You on first name terms now? A fanboy? Got the Kyle posters yet?

Someone is upset as they didn't get the guilty verdict, they were vehemently hoping for.

Seems like Rittenhouse wanted to be part of a loosely organised armed protection unit, which apparently enfamed an already volatile situation.

So long as it's written into the US Constitution (via 2nd Amendment)  that it's ok to have a "well- regulated (armed)  militia" this is bound to happen again... and again.

42 minutes ago, felix said:

this is bound to happen again... and again.

Sadly I feel this is true unless the US can move away from extreme politics. 

I was anti Rittenhouse at the start I saw in him a wee wanna be a big man figure.  As I watched the Trial I still saw an element of guilt, but also saw a young man with serious psychiatrist or psychological problems. Now the Trial is over, he was found Not Guilty, I don't always agree with these findings, but they have been made and I live with them.

I am somewhat concerned now for this what I see as a gullible young person being used for political reasons. I can see considerable TV interviews with a purpose, and I can see this encouraging more righteous demonstrations and protests, and he will be lauded as a hero. When it all falls apart, he will be sacrificed,  I will be making an effort to watch the suggested Fox interview today, no information has been given so far as to time and whom will be conducting the interview, I would suspect Carlson or Hannity.

Captain Sausage
13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

What are you talking about? If this witless fantasist who wanted to play action man hadn't been there two people would not be dead and a third injured. It's as simple as that.

And incidentally I have no political narrative. What I do have is a wife and a home in this country where I don't want witless wannabe pricks like this one roaming the streets with deadly weapons. 

And if the arseholes running riot destroying everything the came across hasn’t been there, two people would not be dead and a third injured. It’s as simple as that. 

Picking a side and saying they are fault when both sides are to blame is frankly bizarre. 

4 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

And if the arseholes running riot destroying everything the came across hasn’t been there, two people would not be dead and a third injured. It’s as simple as that. 

Picking a side and saying they are fault when both sides are to blame is frankly bizarre. 

Trained police deal with situations. There will always be periods of unrest where people are ARRESTED. Despite the police reputation being shit, I'd still see them as the peacekeepers, not some twat from out of state doing some ill conceived security.

Watched the Rittenhouse interview with Tucker Carlson. An innocent young man who only went into a hostile demonstration with a loaded rifle carried in a ready manner. He was approached and intimidated by big bad boys and as a result was forced to shoot them dead in self defence. I listened for the reason he left the place he had volunteered and deserted, and heard that he went into the hostile crowd to aid anyone needing it. Of course the fact that the "medic" was carrying a powerful weapon had no impact on anyone. He was asked about Bidens Campaign time statement that he was a racist, he declined to say anything other than his lawyers were looking into it. I am obviously more senile through age than  I had thought, I thought Kyle Rittenden was a young lad from a middle class broken home. He just finished a Trial where his legal fees were estimated at two million or more dollars. He has "my lawyers" working on his case involving the now President of the United States, I am sure they are welfare lawyers and charge no fees.  I have some sympathy for him surprisingly he is a young man who is being welcomed and financed by people who want to use him to show  as he mentioned in the interview the Democrats views on the laws. Another female Fox employee Judge Judy or something, and she went on about this outstanding young man who throughout has told the truth, and is an outstanding young man with a bright future, and seemed to suggest certain people should be looking at him as a future asset. At the end Hannity came on, I was so spell bound by his comments, that I was so busy trying to figure out if he had a new wig, and never heard anything he was saying, God can be good, he rescued me from that.

I repeat what I said in an earlier post, I really have no use for this selfish young man. He drives or drove a car unlicensed, and subsequently uninsured, if he had killed or seriously injured someone whilst driving in that unprepared state, that individual or his surviving family could be left destitute. He had a friend purchase a weapon for him, and carried it to all intents and purposes illegally, he went through a harrowing Court Trial, was well represented, but I don't think people donate the kind of money he got and still is receiving without looking for some return, my guess is he is going to be used as a pawn in denigrating all the Democrats Law and Order policies and that is fair enough, but is this boy really intelligent enough to understand that he is being used and in the termination of that use will be dumped like last weeks garbage.

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

is this boy really intelligent enough to understand that he is being used and in the termination of that use will be dumped like last weeks garbage.

I have never seen this boy speak and I can't recall ever reading a single thing he has said. If I did read anything he said it must have been instantly forgettable. But from that position I would still be willing to bet he's a grunt. 

21 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Someone is upset as they didn't get the guilty verdict, they were vehemently hoping for.

You entirely misunderstand me. I live in Trump country, a place where people walk around openly carrying guns. Men and women, you will see them walking around the grocery isle at the supermarket. Packing in case they might meet armed resistance at the deli or something.

Far from hoping for anything vehemently or otherwise goes I knew what the verdict would be long before it was delivered. 

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You entirely misunderstand me. I live in Trump country, a place where people walk around openly carrying guns. Men and women, you will see them walking around the grocery isle at the supermarket. Packing in case they might meet armed resistance at the deli or something.

Far from hoping for anything vehemently or otherwise goes I knew what the verdict would be long before it was delivered. 

Has it been that way your whole life or has it become worse recently?

Edit: sorry, a secondary question...has it always been allowed as well?

Edited by Taffin

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Has it been that way your whole life or has it become worse recently?

Edit: sorry, a secondary question...has it always been allowed as well?

I'm not an American but I have been in Oklahoma for the past 10 years and it's always been like that since I came here. There are guns literally everywhere, even in my house. My wife is an American, a born Oklahoman and lived here all her life.

In this house there are two handguns and a .22 rifle which were already here when I first arrived. . In all my time here not one of those guns has ever been loaded far less fired. I think there's ammunition somewhere but I don't know where and have never seen it. Last I heard of it some years ago was the wife saying she thought it was becoming rusty.

We're not gun people, she inherited these guns from her father but it's just an example of how liberally scattered guns are. They're a favourite target of burglars/thieves.

And speaking of wandering around the supermarket toting a gun, check this story. Mom fatally shot when son, 2, grabs gun from her purse in Walmart

Now while it's a tragedy it's just one more in the entire American gun tragedy. One of the 80 dead by gunshot every single day.

I couldn't help sarcastically thinking well what can you do? The only thing that can stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.

48 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I have never seen this boy speak and I can't recall ever reading a single thing he has said. If I did read anything he said it must have been instantly forgettable. But from that position I would still be willing to bet he's a grunt. 

Did you watch the trial? 

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm not an American but I have been in Oklahoma for the past 10 years and it's always been like that since I came here. There are guns literally everywhere, even in my house. My wife is an American, a born Oklahoman and lived here all her life.

In this house there are two handguns and a .22 rifle which were already here when I first arrived. . In all my time here not one of those guns has ever been loaded far less fired. I think there's ammunition somewhere but I don't know where and have never seen it. Last I heard of it some years ago was the wife saying she thought it was becoming rusty.

We're not gun people, she inherited these guns from her father but it's just an example of how liberally scattered guns are. They're a favourite target of burglars/thieves.

And speaking of wandering around the supermarket toting a gun, check this story. Mom fatally shot when son, 2, grabs gun from her purse in Walmart

Now while it's a tragedy it's just one more in the entire American gun tragedy. One of the 80 dead by gunshot every single day.

I couldn't help sarcastically thinking well what can you do? The only thing that can stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.

A start might be getting rid of the guns you have that you judge other people for owning? 

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's horrific. 

9 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

A start might be getting rid of the guns you have that you judge other people for owning? 

Not mine to "get rid of", I specified they belonged to my wifes father and she's not prepared to give up a personal possession of her dead father.

But rest easy, I guarantee you neither me nor her will ever be taking to the streets or walmart packing guns while toting our rusty ammo if we can find it.

16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's crazy, thanks for the detailed answer. I've no way of really comprehending being somewhere like that.

I don't think Oklahoma is for me by the sounds of it! Must be tough having to live somewhere with laws and a mindset you're really against, but where I can empathise is the desire and need to live where your loved ones do.

Maybe one day it will change; fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Not mine to "get rid of", I specified they belonged to my wifes father and she's not prepared to give up a personal possession of her dead father.

But rest easy, I guarantee you neither me nor her will ever be taking to the streets or walmart packing guns while toting our rusty ammo if we can find it.

Sometimes you just have to respect the way things are when you move to a new place. I would find the notion of people owning guns bizarre and weird but I haven’t been brought up around them. Did you watch the trial? 

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You make your bed etc etc.

The verdict here is meaningless.  The main point is that children, and adults,  can carry assault weapons and cops just drive past. 

If that was a middle east country,  that reality would be made the justification for invading them, or for blowing them off the face of the planet. 

America is a 3rd world country by any modern definition.  

I have spent considerable time in the United States. On one extended trip I was ridiculed by fellow police officers for my lack of a firearm.  I visited a house in Washington DC. of a retired police officer who had his comfortable chair facing his front door, and a firearm constantly in easy reach. As a viewer of US television I am a bit surprised at the anger, hate and strong advocation of weapons, the lies from politicians, the constant bleating of the former President that  an election was rigged, stolen etc. 

The population have to accept responsibility for what is happening, they have twice elected inept Presidents, I was more in favor of Biden than Trump, but it really was not an ideal situation. If it continues as is the Democrats will take a beating in the next elections and the Republicans will retain control of the Congress and Senate. In my mind this will put Donald Trump in the position of being because of his control over the Party a pseudo President. Individuals such as the mentioned in this thread Kyle Rittenhouse will be used to further the cause. God Save America.

7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have spent considerable time in the United States. On one extended trip I was ridiculed by fellow police officers for my lack of a firearm.  I visited a house in Washington DC. of a retired police officer who had his comfortable chair facing his front door, and a firearm constantly in easy reach. As a viewer of US television I am a bit surprised at the anger, hate and strong advocation of weapons, the lies from politicians, the constant bleating of the former President that  an election was rigged, stolen etc. 

The population have to accept responsibility for what is happening, they have twice elected inept Presidents, I was more in favor of Biden than Trump, but it really was not an ideal situation. If it continues as is the Democrats will take a beating in the next elections and the Republicans will retain control of the Congress and Senate. In my mind this will put Donald Trump in the position of being because of his control over the Party a pseudo President. Individuals such as the mentioned in this thread Kyle Rittenhouse will be used to further the cause. God Save America.

Well you would think the numbers needed to ensure a democrat victory last time would allay any fears of complacency. And encourage the promoting of faces that can better appeal to all, within reason. You can't continually rely on the opposition shooting itself in the foot by removing masks too soon or over reaching.

46 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Well you would think the numbers needed to ensure a democrat victory last time would allay any fears of complacency. And encourage the promoting of faces that can better appeal to all, within reason. You can't continually rely on the opposition shooting itself in the foot by removing masks too soon or over reaching.

As I am sure you realise I am a non US citizen who watches various News channels. There seems to be from my observations a continuing decrease in Bidens popularity. Of course Fox news constantly report on his age and some of his verbal stumblings, which I in fairness feel are a result of a speech impediment and his fight to bypass it. His poll numbers are dropping quite seriously and his handling of the Border crisis are seen to be poor. His selection for Vice President has been a failure, she is almost unheard of in most days. Things like the subject Trial are being used by his detractors as proof that he does not respect American values and rights, and that his whole motivation is to develop a Socialist, neo Communist state. 

I as I have stated I was pro Biden mainly because I am totally anti Trump. I have no vote, but if I had I am not sure how I would go, of course in local, State, and even National elections I would vote against anyone whom I saw as a proponent of Trump, but really  if I was a Democrat I would be wondering how to vote because neither candidate appeals to me. I do have to say that as a Canadian and a close  geographical neighbor of the US and having a grandaughter and great grandchildren citizens of the USA my concerns are real. I have to state too that my Granddaughters American family are strong Trump supporters.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:24, Cade said:

Far-right judge.

Far-right killer.

Black victims.

Only one way this is ending.

He killed 2 white people. 🎵Let's go Brandon

22 hours ago, wibble said:

The verdict here is meaningless.  The main point is that children, and adults,  can carry assault weapons and cops just drive past. 

If that was a middle east country,  that reality would be made the justification for invading them, or for blowing them off the face of the planet. 

America is a 3rd world country by any modern definition.  

It's like a Mad Max style scenario. There's a segment like say the gun industry who in their ideal world would have every man woman and child packing. Packing a variety of weapons, including some military style rifle. Everybody needs one of them.

The gun industry lobbies hard to make guns as easily accessible as possible to anybody at all while 70% of Americans want more gun regulation. But they're not getting it and they're unlikely to with the current balance of power in the US.

If Biden tried to push stricter gun regulation the Republicans will block it. Even if they privately thought it was rational and beneficial policy they would still block it.

A level of pettiness from an opposition party that perhaps on some level borders on insanity. Given what they're doing could rob hundreds of millions of a beneficial policy for sheer spite. Another example of how broken this country is. It's dystopian.

Given Biden's reaction to the verdict I initially thought something would be attempted. And still think it may be a possibility. Which politician wouldn't want to introduce policy 70% of the electorate are for.

I watched Fox News last night where Hannity had a full hour with Donald Trump. Definitely a pre Campaign move. Sad for me to say but  Trump did have some relevant criticisms about Biden and particularly against his Law and Order policies. This was emphasised when Kyle Rittenhouse was shown with his mother as guests of Trump at Mar A Lago. Trump lauded the young man, praised he and his actions and stressed how unfairly this young man had been treated by the Democrats. Should Trump in fact run again for President this young hero will be prominent in the campaign propaganda. I am so biased against Trump who projects just about everything I am against, I have to say though if there was an election tomorrow he would win in a landslide. With examples like Rittenhouse, and Trump policies the United Staes will become a place of fear.

The defence team in the Arbery trial were pulled up by the judge because they struck off so many black jurors.

Life sentence may mean parole after 30 years.

Felix Lighter
10 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

The defence team in the Arbery trial were pulled up by the judge because they struck off so many black jurors.

Life sentence may mean parole after 30 years.

What? And they still got a guilty verdict?

The judge in the Rittenhouse trial was lambasted in leftist circles for allowing Rittenhouse to randomly pull balls out of hat for jury selection.

The American left must be feeling pretty confused.

Although one thing they weren't confused about today was their need to sweep this under the carpet...

11 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

The judge in the Rittenhouse trial was lambasted in leftist circles for allowing Rittenhouse to randomly pull balls out of hat for jury selection.

Although one thing they weren't confused about today was their need to sweep this under the carpet...

Yup. In the deep south of all places

Well worth trying to see what Arbery's dad had to say after the trial👍

I'm not with you on the last bit though. ??

Felix Lighter
1 minute ago, Longbaws said:

Yup. In the deep south of all places

Well worth trying to see what Arbery's dad had to say after the trial👍

I'm not with you on the last bit though. ??

You got a link? I sincerely hope he speaks too the division in America right now and the need for it to be addressed peacefully. 

If by the last bit you mean Waukesha atrocity I'm referring to the hypocrisy in the way that the MSM report stories to suit their agenda. They are stoking up race hatred and are largely responsible for the mess the country is in.

The Biden policy on incarceration Bail and other concepts are going to reelect Trump and the Republicans. The suspect in the Waukesha incident had just recently been allowed out on bail of $1,000, he is reported to have a rap sheet containing fifty pages of criminal records, one female Democrat was on televison advocating closure of all prisons, at the other end of the scale is Trump with his new hero Rittenhouse. What a Country, now centuries old and they haven't come to a satisfactory law and order policy yet, guns everywhere, deaths by crime every day, and their politicians are arguing about ho to solve it. Russia, N. Korea and China must be just wondering which one of them is going to take full advantage of ths rudderless ship.

33 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

Where has this been 'swept under the carpet'?

That's a big generalisation.

Though generalisations seem to be popular.

Felix Lighter
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Where has this been 'swept under the carpet'?

That's a big generalisation.

Though generalisations seem to be popular.

Well here for a start...

https://edition.cnn.com

Nowhere to be seen.

1 minute ago, Felix Lighter said:

Well here for a start...

https://edition.cnn.com

Nowhere to be seen.

So you mean reporting.

Good point.

Traditionally nowadays stories generally disappear after a day or two. Some don't but the media can only sustain a few such of these. While a very strange incident (if you've seen the overhead video), I'm not surprised it disappears until the trial. 

Unless there is a link with Rittenhouse which someone can find.