***Official Heart of Midlothian vs Dundee Utd Match thread***

William H. Bonney

1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

And even Tom English recons our mid field is not supporting the front men enough and not contributing enough goals. No point in thinking another striker will suddenly produce goals if he's not getting support. 

Beni and Devlin tend to play quite close together with neither making forward runs into the box very often, maybe they are told to play that way. We don't seem to actually have a box to box attacking midfielder in the Severin mould or the Cameron/Hartley attacking midfielder. Maybe it would be better if we lined-up in a 3-1- 2- 1-3. I would like to see McAneff used somewhere but it's difficult to see where he would fit, and I wouldn't want to drop either Beni or Devlin although maybe that will be tried on Saturday.

Gordon

Souttar   Halkett   Kingsley

Beni

Smith                 Cochrane

Devlin

Mackay  Boyce   Gino 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Marvin

• sadj

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ex member of the SaS

Every newly promoted team seems to go on a run early in the season, then teams work out how they play and counteract it. We have been found to be slow from back to front and teams press the defense making it harder. Not suggesting whole sale changes BUT we must change something and soon. I still maintain playing one up front against the bottom teams is wrong.

1 hour ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Reading Robbie interview re-Boyce, doesn't sound like he is 100% ready for tomorrow. Maybe time to try Woodburn up top with Gnando. 

That’s looking very likely given a spark is needed up front.

Exile fae Main Street
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Personally I think the solution is further back. I’d put Haring in a holding role and get Devlin and Beni further up the pitch. That means switching to a back 4 or just playing 2 up front instead of 3

But we know what will happen here. He’ll persist with this system until he’s had 2 or 3 defeats because of it

Absolutely this

21 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

McKay does not deserve a start after his feeble performance as a sub last week.

He’s been played in an alien position last two games. He’s one footed as hell and can only play on the right IMO

15 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

2-0

Woodburn 2

hope this is true... 

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-championship/heart-of-midlothian/

if this is true would like to see some value for money

according to same site Hendo is on £560pw at moment I would rather have Hendo back and allow Woodburn to return to Liverpool

10 minutes ago, Mighty jam said:

hope this is true... 

according to same site Hendo is on £560pw at moment I would rather have Hendo back and allow Woodburn to return to Liverpool

We won't be paying him that. Maybe a token sum to Liverpool. But that will be his salary as a Liverpool player.

Same goes for Moore and Cochrane.

5 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Keep the formation, keep the same we are playing. Just cause it hasn’t worked the last couple of games you don’t rip up what we have worked on all summer. Back to middle picks itself. Up top McKay, Boyce, Gino for me. 

5 wins from 12 matches is hardly a ringing endorsement. Recently the system hasn’t worked well. I wouldn’t say it needs ripped up but it needs a tweak offensively because we’re not dangerous.

31 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Somebody is due a royal pumping, let it be this lot

HHGH

Aye somebody is due a humping. Probably us judging by our woeful showing last week which could easily have been a humping

12 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

We won't be paying him that. Maybe a token sum to Liverpool. But that will be his salary as a Liverpool player.

Same goes for Moore and Cochrane.

I think you are probably correct. Still makes you wonder how much he is costing us and really ought to be making more impact in games

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s been played in an alien position last two games. He’s one footed as hell and can only play on the right IMO

We will see, am sure it was the First Minister of KB that had him in future Scotland squad, will be lucky to be in Hearts team soon if does not improve.

28 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

5 wins from 12 matches is hardly a ringing endorsement. Recently the system hasn’t worked well. I wouldn’t say it needs ripped up but it needs a tweak offensively because we’re not dangerous.

I actually think we created more than enough chances against Dundee and Saints to win the game. Ibrox was a hard till the last 15 When we also created plenty chances. Aberdeen I never saw the game. We get in good areas but Boyce and Gnado have been disappointing in taking chances. 

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

I actually think we created more than enough chances against Dundee and Saints to win the game. Ibrox was a hard till the last 15 When we also created plenty chances. Aberdeen I never saw the game. We get in good areas but Boyce and Gnado have been disappointing in taking chances. 

Fair points, but at Ibrox we swung the game our way only after we ditched the system.

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

3rd most dangerous in the league I reckon. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Agreed, Aberdeen has been the only real disappointing in terms of result and performance. 

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed, Aberdeen has been the only real disappointing in terms of result and performance. 

Ross county wasn’t a disappointing result and performance  ? Dundee wasn’t a disappointing performance and result ?. 2nd half home to Aberdeen ? 1st half Perth ? 1st half performance Ibrox ? Ineffective against Hibs for 90 minutes. Nothing to see here ? All going swimmingly for you Aye ? 

5 good performances and results for me. The rest has been pretty shite. 

Edited by JimmyCant

4 hours ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

I would like kingsley or cochrane getting down the left more and not really needing a left winger as such.

Someone like woodburn playing more as an attacking mid intead, which also helps out an over run midfeild like at aberdeen. Jambos 2 arabs 0 ;)

Square pegs/ round holes.........Woodburn is not an attacking midfielder..............we need to play our attacking midfielder.......wait a minute, we don't have one, haven't had one for years............you'd have thought someone would have noticed eh!

8 hours ago, DC_92 said:

v Dundee - 71% possession

v St Johnstone - 69% possession

v Aberdeen - 50% possession

v Dundee United (last time) - 61% possession

Being overrun in midfield isn't the problem in most games. The back 5 already push forward to give us extra numbers in there and it's an aspect of the team that works well. Our biggest problem is that we don't turn that possession into goals, and that happens because:

- We only play 3 attack-minded players;

- It doesn't look like there are enough goals in any combination of those attacking players;

- There are barely any goals from the midfielders or wing-backs to make up for that. 

The main change in that line-up is moving Souttar centrally. Yes, he steps forward, but having Moore flanking him instead of him flanking Halkett gives him more opportunities to get forward.

Souttar moving up should allow Baningime and Devlin to play higher up the pitch. In the Livi and United games, they were tackling the other teams' midfielders at the top of the box.

I confess I don't really buy into the distinction between "attack minded" or "defence minded" players. Devlin looks plenty attack-minded to my eye, he's just not much of a shooter. Barry McKay is certainly not "defence-minded" but he's not a goal scorer either.

What we aren't doing is putting the ball on frame often enough. I'd like to see us having 5 shots on goal per game, one way or the other, and we're not achieving that. Some of that is getting more out of our strikers but some of it is just telling everyone in the squad to start having a pop at goal a bit more often.

And I'd like to see Walker on as a sub a bit more.

19 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Ross county wasn’t a disappointing result and performance  ? Dundee wasn’t a disappointing performance and result ?. 2nd half home to Aberdeen ? 1st half Perth ? 1st half performance Ibrox ? Ineffective against Hibs for 90 minutes. Nothing to see here ? All going swimmingly for you Aye ? 

Ross county was disappointing result, but we don’t plenty to win the game. Dundee we controlled the game and should h e put them to bed, Boyce and GMS missed great chances. Yet again Aberdeen we weren’t clinical enough. First half Perth was a shocker, 2nd complete Dominance yet again not clinical enough. Hibs we had them pegged bag after the first 15 and should have won, yet not clinical..

See the common theme? In my opinion we make plenty chances to win games we just don’t take them. We barely give the opponents the ball. It will click soon as the wide players start scoring and I believe they will. Gino has came back in and scored and won a pen. McKay needs numbers and he will know that but his general play is brilliant. This is all my opinion btw I know every one sees it different.

24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Ross County was a disappointing performance. Against both Dundee and Hibs we were the better team and generated more chances and had poor luck. St. Johnstone was a weird game all around. Ibrox was a brilliant performance, particularly recovering after having been pinned back early on.

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Result AND performance. 

I Thought we played well v rc and Dundee. 

Hibs was a good even game. 

Rangers was a good result. 

Basically you seem to think any game we didn't win  was shite? 

Stupid to think like that imo. 

Folk that think like that are generally gibbering fools. 

The OF support is full of these types. 

Dismiss the opposition and if they don't win  every game by a bucket load they throw the toys out of the pram. 

Fair enough.

Strong winds and rain may play havoc tomorrow. Obviously our games about keeping the ball on the deck so hopefully not too much disruption 

8 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

These players, but would play McKay centrally in front of Beni and Devlin, and behind strikers, linking and creating. Cochrane pushing on, left side.

I disagree on this. McKay always looks most dangerous when he's hugging the line. He and Smith look far better when McKay does the wide work in attack and Smith cuts in.

But Gino is also a right-footed player and he was our best attacking threat in Aberdeen so I hate to drop him. Could see putting Woodburn in on the left but I'm increasingly frustrated by him and think he needs to put his head down in training and get a better feel for what his teammates are doing. If not McKay on the left, I'd rather put in McEneff and see what he can do playing more centrally.

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Result AND performance. 

I Thought we played well v rc and Dundee. 

Hibs was a good even game. 

Rangers was a good result. 

Basically you seem to think any game we didn't win  was shite? 

Stupid to think like that imo. 

Folk that think like that are generally gibbering fools. 

The OF support is full of these types. 

Dismiss the opposition and if they don't win  every game by a bucket load they throw the toys out of the pram. 

Fair enough.

I stopped reading after you claimed we played well against Dundee. Clearly you were not there. I’d hazard a guess you didn’t see it on TV either

35 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Square pegs/ round holes.........Woodburn is not an attacking midfielder..............we need to play our attacking midfielder.......wait a minute, we don't have one, haven't had one for years............you'd have thought someone would have noticed eh!

Actually, we do: McEneff. Whether or not he's good or effective enough in that position is difficult to say as he's rarely if ever been played in that role and is struggling to even make the squad right now.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I stopped reading after you claimed we played well against Dundee. Clearly you were not there. I’d hazard a guess you didn’t see it on TV either

We certainly didn't play badly v Dundee. We dominated the game, 71% possession if I remember correctly. We couldn't create a decent chance though. They parked the bus and got a point from one moment of shoody defending. Defend that throw in and no ****er would be moaning about it. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We certainly didn't play badly v Dundee. We dominated the game, 71% possession if I remember correctly. We couldn't create a decent chance though. They parked the bus and got a point from one moment of shoody defending. Defend that throw in and no ****er would be moaning about it. 

Great if you live in stat land where 71% possession = good performance 

Feeling in my bones that we'll drop more points tomorrow. Hope I'm wrong and the lads are angry at losing to the sheep last weekend.

kingantti1874

we created about 30 chances against Ross county. What a load of pish

I just want to see a strong physical reaction tomorrow. This is kind of our first test after our first defeat. 

RN can talk all day long about how he wants his team to play and how the players he’s bringing in is to fit into that style, but we looked devoid of intensity v Aberdeen.  Granted, two tough away games in a few days tests anybody, but that’s when managers have to come into their own.

Was the motivational approach different v Aberdeen or did he just expect his players to play out the style he wants automatically without much of a pep talk?

Within any style you play, players still need to give their own intelligence to the play and put energy into their own game.  It looked too much like football by numbers last week until it eventually became ragged and lethargic. 

Edited by Debut 4

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It was a bad result but it wasn't a bad performance. 

Fozzyonthefence
38 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Ross County was a disappointing performance. Against both Dundee and Hibs we were the better team and generated more chances and had poor luck. St. Johnstone was a weird game all around. Ibrox was a brilliant performance, particularly recovering after having been pinned back early on.

Ibrox was a brilliant performance?  Seriously?  We got battered!  It wasn’t as bad as Pitoddrie though, at least we improved considerably in the 2nd half at Ibrox. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we created about 30 chances against Ross county. What a load of pish

How was our defensive performance for you that day ?

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Didn’t think it was bad, but didn’t think it was great. Was kind of the first indication of complacency(in the second half) which led onto a similar first half in Perth. 

I think we are heading in the right direction but as we go along, Neilson needs to see the flaws and tweak as we go. Even if it’s in-game changes and not just the long term progress. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

It was a bad result but it wasn't a bad performance. 

See when you play shite like Dundee at home and you don’t win, I don’t give a tuppeny shite what was bad and good and average about the performance. I don’t care how many chances we made or how many passes we completed or how long we kept the ball off them for. Its utterly irrelevant because the overall performance wasn’t good enough to beat a team who got an absolute spanking the following week.

7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

See when you play shite like Dundee at home and you don’t win, I don’t give a tuppeny shite what was bad and good and average about the performance. I don’t care how many chances we made or how many passes we completed or how long we kept the ball off them for. Its utterly irrelevant because the overall performance wasn’t good enough to beat a team who got an absolute spanking the following week.

I was as frustrated as you at the Dundee result. The thing is though, it was a good overall performance to win the game. I tend to look at the bigger picture, chances, hit bar and post. Couple of inches either way, the ball goes in. Training session in second half. Fine margins. Can see your point though, very frustrating. 

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Gets it, First Minister won't be happy, tomorrow is yet another crunch game and I hope we win but don't see it as we are far too predictable.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Gets it, First Minister won't be happy, tomorrow is yet another crunch game and I hope we win but don't see it as we are far too predictable.

Better being the First minister as opposed to the First Slaverer. 

I thought we played well against Dundee……and I was there.

It was however incredibly frustrating to let 2 points slip.

3 hours ago, Mighty jam said:

hope this is true... 

English teams are awash with money and are able to speculate. When Michael Stewart came to us he was on £12k and Joel Castro Pereira was on £15k apparently. Neither was worth a bean imo but if I win the lottery tomorrow the fact I don't deserve it won't bother me.

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Better being the First minister as opposed to the First Slaverer. 

Aye whatever but I go to the games, not sure you do.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

This

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Sticking to 4-0. Ginnelly to play a blinder.

4-0, Yip. 

I'm with you. 

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

About the same level of fantasist.

Why are so aggressive and negative. I've looked at your most recent posts and there isn't a single positive comment in any of them.

I don't doubt for a minute that you do go games but I am really beginning to wonder why.

We're celebrating our 4-0 win tomorrow night with track of lamb, which cost around $3,000,000, washed down with a bottle of Rose which cost around $15.

Sensible alcohol pricing 😂❤❤