Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• luckydug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bannon Flick

Very sad news - a real football man and a tremendous managerial career.

One of the few Old Firm managers that I will own up to actually liking.

Loved him when he was in charge of the national team - and was gutted when he left to go back to Rangers. Would have loved to have seen just how much further he could have taken Scotland as he seemed to have fostered a real club mentality within the national set-up - with the help of Burns and McCoist.

Like others have said he never had a bad word to say about Hearts and always seemed to carry himself with a great deal of dignity.

Seems like the kind of bloke you'd love to have just sat with and listened to all his football stories over a few beers.

RIP. 

jack D and coke

He revived the Scotland team when we were on our arse and I love him for that but I always had respect for him too despite being a Rangers man. 
RIP to him he was a Titan of the Scottish game. 

The word 'Legend' is often thrown about when its not really warranted. Not in the case of this man! 

A proper legend in Scottish football.

Rest in Peace Walter.

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I always remember how complimentary he was to us after the Scottish Cup final in 98. Conducted himself with dignity even thought it meant he ended his last season trophy-less. 

This was one of my first thoughts this morning when I heard the news. 

Walter Smith was not just a giant of Scottish Football, he was also and more importantly a gentleman. An absolute gentleman. The outpouring of good wishes and sympathy from all across football shows that. 

A minutes silence should be impeccably observed across Scottish football tonight and tomorrow night. I actually believe the Celtic fans will do so, given his close friendship with Tommy Burns. 

A sad, sad loss. For some guys the colour of their shirt is utterly, utterly irrelevant - more so than normal for Walter.  

Edited by blairdin

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

As hugely important to rangers as JJ is to us. 

Walter Smith just like JJ was the true definition of a man. He was an an absolute solid rock of a gentleman with a dry wit.

Many of us who grew up in the 90s and earlier will have very fond memories of the banter that gazza, coisty etc got up to with Walter Smith and archie knox..

God rest him. True Scottish hero. ❤️

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

If a minute silence is to be observed at tomorrow's matches, which due to his stature in the game is possible, fester road could be interesting 

Sad news always had time for Walter Smith.

In regards to tributes I suspect it’ll be a minutes applause at ER as the SFA/ SPFL pander to the low life in the away end as usual, while 99.9% of decent normal human beings observe a minutes silence for a legend of the game.

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Wow.  They Aberdeen fans are seriously scummy bassas.

I got sent a link to one of their forums. It defies belief some of the stuff they're coming out with. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

I got sent a link to one of their forums. It defies belief some of the stuff they're coming out with. 

People actively getting told to f-off for showing respect and acting erm human. 

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Walter Smith one of Alex Ferguson's close friends too. 

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think a minutes applause might be better at all the games. 

Not a fan of a minute’s applause at all, for any such occasion.  

It is a cop out to protect the morons.  

Pasquale for King
Just now, Paolo said:

I wish they had one for Pope John Paul II, and for Liz the last whenever that happens. 
I feel for the folk that don’t realise and then get hit with a wall of silence or those whose phones ping, it’s happened to me. 
Can see a minutes applause or nothing at ER tomorrow, and Aberdeen fans booing if it’s a minutes silence.

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I always remember how complimentary he was to us after the Scottish Cup final in 98. Conducted himself with dignity even thought it meant he ended his last season trophy-less. 

B42B2574-061F-4112-B1BE-7B54499ABABA.jpeg

RIP Walter, thanks for the memories with the National team, what a ride that one was!!! That Italy game at Hampden will live long in my memory (even though the result ultimately went against it). Thoughts and condolences to his family, friends and close colleagues. 

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wish they had one for Pope John Paul II, and for Liz the last whenever that happens. 
I feel for the folk that don’t realise and then get hit with a wall of silence or those whose phones ping, it’s happened to me. 
Can see a minutes applause or nothing at ER tomorrow, and Aberdeen fans booing if it’s a minutes silence.

That happens I can see major trouble tomorrow at Ibrox.   Think Hibs/Celtic will be alright when it comes to Smith. 

Always came over as being a quiet and thoughtful type of guy and very articulate when being interviewed even by Chick Dung ... nobody will ever top that toasting🤣

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Always came over as being a quiet and thoughtful type of guy and very articulate when being interviewed even by Chick Dung ... nobody will ever top that toasting🤣

😂😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Every club , including ours, have them so probably for the best 

Telford_jambo123

RIP walter smith. always came across as a sound guy with a great understanding of the game. 

can someone please post that vid of him ripping chick young a new one 🤣

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That happens I can see major trouble tomorrow at Ibrox.   Think Hibs/Celtic will be alright when it comes to Smith. 

I think there will be bother, they will sing a song about it even if there’s a minute applause. They’ve done it before about something, can’t remember what about though. 
Can’t see everyone observing a minute silence at ER, this is the guy that won more trophies for Rangers than anyone else in the modern era. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Telford_jambo123 said:

RIP walter smith. always came across as a sound guy with a great understanding of the game. 

can someone please post that vid of him ripping chick young a new one 🤣

It’s three posts up there 👆 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

funny enough, what I remember him most for apart from his "particularly" amusing OAE character.

Seemed like a decent bloke, softly spoken, guaranteed he was as hard as nails, some terrific mentors he had.

A sad for Scottish football in general.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Always thought it was a better idea to applaud regardless. Silence is outdated, of a bygone era imho, well reserved for remembrance Sunday and mass death.

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Always thought it was a better idea to applaud regardless. Silence is outdated, of a bygone era imho, well reserved for remembrance Sunday and mass death.

I always seen a minutes silence a massive test when I played football.  Someone would always fart or something and it was torture trying not to laugh. 

28 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

I remember this video going viral before anyone knew what going viral meant.

Walter Smith always came across as a decent sort, and was well respected.

RIP.

Naisys Tackle
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think there will be bother, they will sing a song about it even if there’s a minute applause. They’ve done it before about something, can’t remember what about though. 
Can’t see everyone observing a minute silence at ER, this is the guy that won more trophies for Rangers than anyone else in the modern era. 

Maybe Nieve but I think Walter's links with Tommy Burns will see respect being shown. 

Naisys Tackle
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe a sign that they’re having an minutes applause tomorrow. 

2A3335EB-F6DF-45CD-82D2-8043E65558B6.jpeg

I think it will be a silence so the support can mark their respect. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I always seen a minutes silence a massive test when I played football.  Someone would always fart or something and it was torture trying not to laugh. 

Funny how it seems like an hour! For the reason you mention alone, better with the applause.

It also allows those with a genuine love or respect of the person to get out some emotion rather than funnel it inwardly. Just a more healthy way to show respect in my view

Francis Albert

Sympathy to his family and friends. I hope respect is shown at all games as it should always be for a death. He was one of Scotland's best managers.

(The famous Chick interview though great fun was not I thought his finest hour and bordered on cruelty to someone trying to do his job however badly and however much you dislike Chick. Only an OF manager would have got away with it.)

Edited by Francis Albert

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Funny how it seems like an hour! For the reason you mention alone, better with the applause.

It also allows those with a genuine love or respect of the person to get out some emotion rather than funnel it inwardly. Just a more healthy way to show respect in my view

True points them. 

Condolences to all the family, one memory i will never forget was the way he conducted himself in the 98 Cup final when we defeated rangers a class act.

Also a special mention to the rangers players and fans that day

Telford_jambo123
48 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sympathy to his family and friends. I hope respect is shown at all games as it should always be for a death. He was one of Scotland's best managers.

(The famous Chick interview though great fun was not I thought his finest hour and bordered on cruelty to someone trying to do his job however badly and however much you dislike Chick. Only an OF manager would have got away with it.)

is was a stupid question in his defence

Francis Albert
28 minutes ago, Telford_jambo123 said:

is was a stupid question in his defence

Chick asked it so naturally. But yes Chick asked for it I suppose.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Maybe Nieve but I think Walter's links with Tommy Burns will see respect being shown. 

Hopefully