Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• luckydug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Sympathy to his family and friends. I hope respect is shown at all games as it should always be for a death. He was one of Scotland's best managers.

(The famous Chick interview though great fun was not I thought his finest hour and bordered on cruelty to someone trying to do his job however badly and however much you dislike Chick. Only an OF manager would have got away with it.)

It is hard to have sympathy with Chick Young.  He is a clown, and was shown up here, but at the time, I probably would not have leaned in Smith’s favour, afterwards, I absolutely did. 

Just had a look at the thread on the Aberdeen forum. Managed to get about half way down the 1st page.

What a bunch of disgusting cretins. Scummy, scummy *****!

2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Just had a look at the thread on the Aberdeen forum. Managed to get about half way down the 1st page.

Aberdeen fans always have been *****. The difference between now and when they were successful is they’ve become bitter *****. 

Edited by GinRummy

Forever Hearts
Just now, iantjambo said:

Seems to be a contest on there to see who can post the most offensive stuff about Walter Smith. You'd hope it's young boys who don't know any better, but I have my doubts. 

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Same here, one page was enough. 

The odd poster who dares to show some respect gets hounded for his trouble. 

Shanks said no
26 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Snap, that’s all I managed as well. An innocent Dons fan could get a sore one tomorrow because of these keyboard warriors. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, lou said:

Unbelievable, what disgusting comments

My dad, a rangers fan has been in bits today with his boyhood idol passing same day as Walter.

Walter Smith and Rangers for me = a decent takeaway when winning in a big game.  Can still remember crying as a 7 year old when connect out the European Cup final. It was a way of staying up later. Dad still dropped me and my grandad off at Tynie and paid for our day and out season tickets. He was gutted today as was I.

McGlynn The Money
8 hours ago, Deodato said:

RIP Walter. 

In 1997-98 my Dundee flat mate at Glasgow Uni lost his father, who was a friend of Walter. He was so supportive of his family (regardless of work commitments). He was checking in and making sure my flat mate was okay. I saw his values from a close distance. Really touched by that memory. 

Also loved revisiting that famous Chick Young video. Leaves a lump in the throat. 

Sadly missed.  

Lovely story mate and shows what a great man he was.

I met him once I think I was maybe 10 or 11. In Glasgow Airport. I was waiting with my old boy to pick up my sister. This was before the times of camera phones and really at the height of his rangers team. My dad ripped a page out of his work diary and scrambling for a pen he waited until we found one and he chatted away and signed the autograph. Said we were Jambos and he was just very pleasant and although you knew he was a rangers man he was very nice to a young boy who wasn't of the same persuasion as him.

Just a nice gent 

1 hour ago, Scott Leitch said:

That Aberdeen forum is a disgrace. Utter scum. 

Just had a read wow just wow.

A bloke at my work is a mod on the forum just dropped him a text.

Awful. 

I was in my early teens in the mid 90s, one of the best mates at school was an Irn-Bru drinking asylum seeker from the east end of Glasgow, he was a huge Rangers fan, so I grew up watching live RFC games on sky at our local snooker club, and reading Rangers news, as well as hearing every little thing that went on at the club. 

In my opinion Walter Smith was responsible for putting together the best Scottish football team in my life time. They had an unbelievable team back then, I don’t think any SPL team since would have got anywhere near that team from back then,  what he did for Rangers was a fantastic achievement. 

Rest In Peace Walter Smith the legend xxxx.

25 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Awful. 

Be interesting to hear his reply.

Telford_jambo123
2 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

RIP Walter. Because other posters mentioned Aberdeen, I went on to their fan thing.4 posts I left.Pretty low.

i found a thread they made about ricksen. arseholes

I couldn't help myself but have a look on that Sheep forum, Jesus Christ what a filthy shower of ***** they are, a wouldn't bet against half them being 40 and 50 year old guys as well.

RIP

A proper old school manager, hard but fair. 

He had unbelievable success, & broke our hearts many a time. 
I remember JJ speaking very highly of the dignity he showed after the 98 cup win. 

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

My dad, a rangers fan has been in bits today with his boyhood idol passing same day as Walter.

Walter Smith and Rangers for me = a decent takeaway when winning in a big game.  Can still remember crying as a 7 year old when connect out the European Cup final. It was a way of staying up later. Dad still dropped me and my grandad off at Tynie and paid for our day and out season tickets. He was gutted today as was I.

Hi Robbie,

who was the boyhood idol of your dad that passed today?

I can’t find anything about this?

Thanks 👍

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think there will be bother, they will sing a song about it even if there’s a minute applause. They’ve done it before about something, can’t remember what about though. 
Can’t see everyone observing a minute silence at ER, this is the guy that won more trophies for Rangers than anyone else in the modern era. 

It would be good if people behaved themselves in these circumstances, certainly. 
Sadly, we as Hearts fans have fallen short ourselves as evidenced in the disruption of the minute’s silence for the death of a Pope in a match v Celtic.

We all need to grow up.

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

It would be good if people behaved themselves in these circumstances, certainly. 
Sadly, we as Hearts fans have fallen short ourselves as evidenced in the disruption of the minute’s silence for the death of a Pope in a match v Celtic.

We all need to grow up.

🎣🎣

15 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

We all need to grow up.

SIXTEEN years ago. 

i like to think we've moved on a bit since then. 

The thing I remember - as others have said - was how he spoke highly of us after the 1998 SC Final. He had just suffered defeat in a final in his last game as Rangers manager but was magnanimous in defeat. After all of the beatings his team had inflicted on us - including in finals prolonging our wait for silverware - it spoke volumes of the man.

He was also instrumental in giving us a national team we could be proud of again after the woes of Bertie Vogts reign. 

RIP. 

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

SIXTEEN years ago. 

i like to think we've moved on a bit since then. 

I’d like to think so too, mate. But do you  think the same thing wouldn’t happen today?

I’m sure you read the thread on Hearts fans singing the “Billy Boys”?

My point here is that criticism of any Aberdeen fans’ alleged intemperate comments re “Walter” need to be tempered - from our perspective - by an acknowledgement that by the same token we’re not above criticism ourselves.

2 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Awful. 

What did he say back?

2 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Awful. 

That cesspit is moderated?

Wow.

13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I’d like to think so too, mate. But do you  think the same thing wouldn’t happen today?

My point here is that criticism of any Aberdeen fans’ alleged intemperate comments re “Walter” need to be tempered - from our perspective - by an acknowledgement that by the same token we’re not above criticism ourselves.

Perhaps but have you actually read the thread on the Dons fan forum ? 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

We all need to grow up.

That is the only time in my long life of following Hearts that I can recall a minute silence being disrupted.

Although it was more than disappointing that it happened, I remain convinced that we were set up for it to happen. A minute silence for a religious leader at a Scottish Cup semi final? Why? I believe that Celtic had already had one at Parkhead.

The SFA cast the fishing line and idiots in our support bit on it. 
We have been asked to take part in tributes to various members of the Lisbon Lions, and other high profile opposition players, over the years with total respect given.

I worry about what could happen at Ibrox if the Aberdeen fans can’t just be quiet for one minute, but I would have no concerns about Hearts fans should we have been there.

I remember him as a great Scotland team manager and not just because he picked Hearts players.  Iirc he also had a number of their golden generation players on the bench.  He could certainly see beyond the OF.

I also remember him saying that sectarianism was wrong.  He said he was part of it as a youngster but everyone should grow out of it.

A colossus of a football person and he will be sadly missed.

Didn't know he gave us a case of champagne after the Scottish Cup final but not surprised.

Jambo_jim2001

Wondered why all the flags were at half mast here today, sad sad loss to Scottish football he was a gent,thoughts go out to his family

RIP Walter,even though not a Jambo a legend

Very sad news indeed. An excellent manager but also a man that showed real class in how he conducted himself. Hearing that he was 73 reminded me that he was still in his forties when he had all that success as manager during the 1990s - but there was a calmness about him and a level of respect that he carried that somehow made him seem a bit older. Unquestionably a giant of Scottish football.  

One of the first professional coaches I was ever introduced to and after a lifetime of playing, I don't think anyone else came close. No nonsense. When he spoke, you listened, and that was long before he was the legend of the game he became!

RIP Wattie. Sad day for Scottish football. Taken far too young.

😢

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

We all need to grow up.

Definitely.
What I would say is we were set up that day, I think Celtic had a game before that

I don’t think Rangers had one at their game, as Celtic didn’t for the Queen Mother. . I’m not all that convinced there should’ve been one for him, or many others, in the first place but let’s not get into that. 
I think having a minutes applause should save the fans from themselves, but maybe not. 

I remember Jim Jeffries telling a story about some golf trip that Willie Young and him wound up Walter by making a show of coming down for breakfast together but he took it in great part. Showed his class in 1998 and will be sadly missed by all decent people. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

That is the only time in my long life of following Hearts that I can recall a minute silence being disrupted.

Although it was more than disappointing that it happened, I remain convinced that we were set up for it to happen. A minute silence for a religious leader at a Scottish Cup semi final? Why? I believe that Celtic had already had one at Parkhead.

The SFA cast the fishing line and idiots in our support bit on it. 
We have been asked to take part in tributes to various members of the Lisbon Lions, and other high profile opposition players, over the years with total respect given.

I worry about what could happen at Ibrox if the Aberdeen fans can’t just be quiet for one minute, but I would have no concerns about Hearts fans should we have been there.

I remember someone shouting Vive la Republic at the end of the minutes silence at Tynie for the Queen Mother and he was arrested, which was a bit extreme to be honest. 
We were definitely set up at that semi. 

professorfate

I was saddened to hear of Walter Smith’s death an absolute Titan of Scottish football. I think the rangers team he had in the 90s was the best team I have seen. 

9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

We all need to grow up.

Hearts were set up by the SFA. Just imagine what would have happened if it had been Rangers v Celtic. Every Orange band in the UK would have been ready to kickoff as soon as the minute started. 
One minutes silence at games should only be for football related people and not for religious or political leaders.

1 minute ago, OldGorgie said:

Hearts were set up by the SFA. Just imagine what would have happened if it had been Rangers v Celtic. Every Orange band in the UK would have been ready to kickoff as soon as the minute started. 
One minutes silence at games should only be for football related people and not for religious or political leaders.

Their should be a one minutes silence once a year, at the first game of the year, for everyone that as past the year before, then people can stand and reflect on their own loved ones and people close to them, and that’s it in my opinion, the rest of the time should be a moments applause just prior to kick off as the players are lined up ready to touch each other. 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I remember someone shouting Vive la Republic at the end of the minutes silence at Tynie for the Queen Mother and he was arrested, which was a bit extreme to be honest. 
We were definitely set up at that semi. 

I'm not sure if he was arrested but the club initially banned him for life then overturned it.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

100%.

Feel really sad with this one. As others have said, a true football great, and by all accounts, a real gentleman to boot. Always seemed to have respect, and time for people regardless of their football or religious persuasions. 
Huge loss to the game. RIP Walter Smith. 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely.
What I would say is we were set up that day, I think Celtic had a game before that

I don’t think Rangers had one at their game, as Celtic didn’t for the Queen Mother. . I’m not all that convinced there should’ve been one for him, or many others, in the first place but let’s not get into that. 
I think having a minutes applause should save the fans from themselves, but maybe not. 

We played Celtic at Park head the previous week, beating them 2-0. I was there. The announcement of the pope's passing wasn't till Saturday night so the Semi was the first game for them after that. 
I'll leave the circumstances of the Semi as it's a thread about WS. 
What transpires tonight will, no doubt, be discussed on here tomorrow.

2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Totally agree. 

I wonder if we'll have a minutes silence for the Dalai Lama when he pops his cloggs. 

37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Totally agree. 

I wonder if we'll have a minutes silence for the Dalai Lama when he pops his cloggs. 

Aye but is a Proddy or a Feenyin Dalai Lama? 🤔

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I'm not sure if he was arrested but the club initially banned him for life then overturned it.

He was definitely ejected, there would no legal basis to ban him for life. 

Edited by Pasquale for King