***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Has the crowd size been published?

On a positive note, well done to the 3,200 Jambos who made the trip in terrible weather. :clap:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

We were helped by penalties in the earlier games which hid the fact we are pretty toothless. We are a good team until the final third.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

On a positive note, well done to the 3,200 Jambos who made the trip in terrible weather. :clap:

That’s a great away support on a shitey late October evening.  👏

It is close to working really well. 

Unlocking the attacking potential we need likes of Woodburn and McKay  to do more. I think there is work to be done on the training ground. Can Boyce and Gnanduillet work together? Can we get more from Cochrane and Kingsley going forward. It's close. 

Haring and Walker too are players that change games. 

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

This!  According to Hibs.net, they reckon they had only around 7,000 home fans in attendance, which they see as an indictment of how poorly they are playing.  How many fans would they have taken to Perth if they were playing there this evening?

11 minutes ago, Sid said:

Barrie McKay wasn’t really spotted in the final third.  He seemed be he either totally missing or popping up on the half way line. 
him and Ginnelly need to be fed the ball around the edge of the box to terrorise defenders.  Down the line and cut back cross or cut inside into the box and pen/foul or shot.  

I know what you mean but the times I saw McKay cross balls they were aimless tonight and when he was driving in from the left second half he had no belief. Thinking back to the Dundee game when he robbed the centre half and fed boyce rather than shoot and Ross co even through on goal and in explicitly went for the wrong side of goal. Still early days but hope he doesn’t think he is better than hearts

15 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

If we are drawing against the Sheep after 70 minutes there is no chance Neilson will go for the win. Moore and Haring will be on the pitch along with 5 other defenders. 

A draw at Pittodrie is normally regarded as a decent result. 

We've opened up a gap from our main contenders for third. 

A draw would keep the gap healthy. 

Aberdeen have picked up their form recently so it will be a tough game imo. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unlocking the attacking potential we need likes of Woodburn and McKay  to do more. I think there is work to be done on the training ground. Can Boyce and Gnanduillet work together? Can we get more from Cochrane and Kingsley going forward. It's close. 

Definitely feel the substitutions should have been earlier. And wouldn't have minded seeing Walker get on to try and nick one - especially with the ball dropping to players just outside the box. Always seemed to be the wrong player. Imo, we just don't look good enough in the final third to kill anyone off. Too many teams are going to nick a goal and hold on like that and its ****ing infuriating.

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If we had got one more goal in just 3 of those games, we'd have 6 extra points and be clear at the top of the league.  I know that 'ifs' mean nowt, but it's frustrating to see the great opportunity that is quickly slipping through our fingers. 

Yeah it's frustrating but at the same time we've started the season brilliantly and plenty to build on and be positive about 

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

If we are drawing against the Sheep after 70 minutes there is no chance Neilson will go for the win. Moore and Haring will be on the pitch along with 5 other defenders. 

Absolute BS. We have gone for win in every league game played. 

Just now, Craig1997 said:

what it’s all about, and the top is 👌

Cheers bud. Great getting accused of lying on a forum because I didn't board the happy train after the game.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That's the great thing. We're doing well but there is scope to improve and options to play around with. I would have liked to have seen Walker on today.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I agree totally.  It's not like we are sitting here moaning about 4 or 5 first team players not being good enough for Hearts, we've got the strongest squad we've had in a long time, and maybe just lacking another striker who can finish consistently.

4 minutes ago, RobNox said:

This!  According to Hibs.net, they reckon they had only around 7,000 home fans in attendance, which they see as an indictment of how poorly they are playing.  How many fans would they have taken to Perth if they were playing there this evening?

How many will turn up at their league cup semi final against St Johnstone?  10,000 crowd?

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If we had got one more goal in just 3 of those games, we'd have 6 extra points and be clear at the top of the league.  I know that 'ifs' mean nowt, but it's frustrating to see the great opportunity that is quickly slipping through our fingers. 

Has it ever been any other way as a Hearts fan? So many "what ifs" I try not to think about it any more - that way madness lies! We have always had this infuriating habit of not picking up points when our rivals drop points like today - especially when we're on a good run.

Edited by ToqueJambo

jambo-in-furness
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

How many will turn up at their league cup semi final against St Johnstone?  10,000 crowd?

Hmm are they not playing the The Rangers?

Malinga the Swinga

The whining minority becoming ever more desperate as performances improve. Yep, we didn't get winner but we have it everything and confident we will continue to do well.

It's almost sad that those same desperate voices cling to each other, just hoping and waiting for us to lose a game, just so they can come on here and slag club.

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Rangers?

9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

We were helped by penalties in the earlier games which hid the fact we are pretty toothless. We are a good team until the final third.

There can be no better team for passing the ball backwards and sideways. Neither can we be touched at the slow predictable build up from the back. Six to Seven passes, to get back to where we started. Unfortunately, where it counts we are sadly lacking. For all the possession tonight and against Dundee, we created very few clear cut chances.

The fact that we play with only 3 attacking players may have something to do with it. We are in danger of losing the early momentum with 6 draws out of our last 9 games.

Just now, jambo-in-furness said:

Hmm are they not playing the The Rangers?

You may be right.  That would be worse crowd wise.  They'd probably have to give them around 16,000 unsold tickets.

SomethingAboutObua

Have to strongly disagree that we pass it around the defence to flatter our possession, the team is significantly more forward thinking and acting than the Championship's, today's game we were slow at the start but the second half wasn't just passing it around the back.

We spend so much of the game arsing around the opposition penalty box and not shooting That's what's drawing games 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, JI TEES said:

I know what you mean but the times I saw McKay cross balls they were aimless tonight and when he was driving in from the left second half he had no belief. Thinking back to the Dundee game when he robbed the centre half and fed boyce rather than shoot and Ross co even through on goal and in explicitly went for the wrong side of goal. Still early days but hope he doesn’t think he is better than hearts

He didn't look like he thought he was better than Hearts when crossing for 3rd against Livingston. In fact, he hasn't looked like that in any games at all. Nor has he said anything that would suggest it 

Still, you carry on thinking shite if you want.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

You may be right.  That would be worse crowd wise.  They'd probably have to give them around 16,000 unsold tickets.

He’s definitely right.  👍

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

There can be no better team for passing the ball backwards and sideways. Neither can we be touched at the slow predictable build up from the back. Six to Seven passes, to get back to where we started. Unfortunately, where it counts we are sadly lacking. For all the possession tonight and against Dundee, we created very few clear cut chances.

The fact that we play with only 3 attacking players may have something to do with it. We are in danger of losing the early momentum with 6 draws out of our last 9 games.

Spot on. No other team can consistently go back into their own half from the opponents 18 yard line, and find it practically impossible to throw ball forward. 

58 minutes ago, OTT said:

Halliday was shocking. My frustrating is that we're seeing virtually the same team/subs week in week out and we have the same problems week in week out. Walker offers something different and unlike half our attack, he actually knows how to put the ball in the net. 

He was absolutely pish, passing to nobody, crosses straight to the opposition. Very poor performance.

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He didn't look like he thought he was better than Hearts when crossing for 3rd against Livingston. In fact, he hasn't looked like that in any games at all. Nor has he said anything that would suggest it 

Still, you carry on thinking shite if you want.

Hahahahaha alright
Mr Hearts calm doon!! Watch all hearts games and one assist against Livi doesn’t deserve hero status also missed a 1 on 1 in that game. Hope he proves me wrong and starts delivering but his numbers are worse than GMS and that’s a fact 

Edited by JI TEES

Just home as I live local.

pretty decent display given some of the guff I have witnessed over the years at McDiarmid. 
While it’s great having 70% possession in most games I wish we wouldn’t take the safe option every time, it was always going sideways and backwards, only seemed to be Souttar who was prepared to drive forward and take on a player. 
In fact overplaying at the back in those conditions seemed to lead to St Johnstone’s best chances tonight. 
Certainly moving in the right direction though. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on. No other team can consistently go back into their own half from the opponents 18 yard line, and find it practically impossible to throw ball forward. 

We lost a goal on Saturday from a place that we twice managed to get the ball back into our own half tonight.  We need the mindset of getting the ball in the box and a shot on goal at every opportunity. 

We moaned like **** last season about the style of play, many wanted Neilson gone, once it was clear he was staying then the narrative was generally see how he gets on first round of games and his style has to change, here we are unbeaten, 70% possession in Perth and folk are raging claiming we’ll be bottom 6. Ffs talk about over reaction. 

We are a work in progress with a completely new ethos at the club, we’ve signed some outstanding players, dominating games away from home (I’ve not seen that in decades) we’re just not putting the ball in the net. If we keep this group of players and add a striker of the quality we’re seeing elsewhere on the pitch we’ll be a real challenge to the rest of the league. 

It’s time to back the team and the club and watch us progress. 

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We moaned like **** last season about the style of play, many wanted Neilson gone, once it was clear he was staying then the narrative was generally see how he gets on first round of games and his style has to change, here we are unbeaten, 70% possession in Perth and folk are raging claiming we’ll be bottom 6. Ffs talk about over reaction. 

We are a work in progress with a completely new ethos at the club, we’ve signed some outstanding players, dominating games away from home (I’ve not seen that in decades) we’re just not putting the ball in the net. If we keep this group of players and add a striker of the quality we’re seeing elsewhere on the pitch we’ll be a real challenge to the rest of the league. 

This is fair. Tonight was frustrating but it is a healthy sign that we are frustrated. We need to start taking our chances again, though.

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Well said. Some common sense

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Sid said:

We lost a goal on Saturday from a place that we twice managed to get the ball back into our own half tonight.  We need the mindset of getting the ball in the box and a shot on goal at every opportunity. 

Definitely, far too much faffing about and going backwards. 

17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Good post 👍

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

19 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

Just home as I live local.

pretty decent display given some of the guff I have witnessed over the years at McDiarmid. 
While it’s great having 70% possession in most games I wish we wouldn’t take the safe option every time, it was always going sideways and backwards, only seemed to be Souttar who was prepared to drive forward and take on a player. 
In fact overplaying at the back in those conditions seemed to lead to St Johnstone’s best chances tonight. 
Certainly moving in the right direction though. 

It’s the same style, with better players. 

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I can't remember the last time we saw so much improvement from a single transfer window since the Burley season.  If we can unearth a striker of similar quality in January, then we could have a very good second half of the season.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s the same style, with better players. 

I don't think a lot of people realise this. Far too predictable build up, whilst playing at walking pace at times. The difference in Hearts is not Robbie Neilson - it is Joe Savage......

Pasquale for King
Just now, gowestjambo said:

I don't think a lot of people realise this. Far too predictable build up, whilst playing at walking pace at times. The difference in Hearts is not Robbie Neilson - it is Joe Savage......

Spot on. 

Out with the shambles of the first 15/20mins it was a good away performance at a ground that we haven’t performed like that very often at all.

On another day we win comfortably.

Looked an incredible save to keep Nando’s header out just before half time and we had plenty chances second half.

I would say though our set pieces are atrocious. How can we not deliver a free kick or corner??

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Just saw the goal we conceded on Sportscene.

:muggy:

Halkett made some awful gaffes tonight, more than his normal 2 or 3.