***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

4 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I thought Ginelly was our best player tonight after being really disappointed with him this season so far. Imo I reckon he would be a good option up top, his finishing is pretty good and has genuine pace. Stick him up top in the 343 or switch to a 352 and have Boyce paired with Ginelly or Woodburn.

Last season, I liked when Robbie was playing a front 3 but it was narrower, like Boyce was playing closer to midfield and we had GMS and Henderson beyond him playing more as strikers. We seem to have got wider and its not working.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ll we just need to keep plugging away like this until January. Many said it was a big mistake not signing another striker (we actually needed 2 IMO) and it’s biting us in the arse big time just now

I agree, I’m still not convinced Boyce is the answer either.  

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, don’t lose rather than chase a win. 
Savage and Neilson don’t seem to have much chat tbh. 

Again, total bullshit. Last two games we have gone for the win and dominated the games. Must be blind or stupid to think just because we drew that what we went for. The disappointing thing was Dundee and St J were celebrating a draw, we weren't

1 minute ago, 151 said:

We are shite unfortunately. Going unbeaten is irrelevant if you can't beat anyone either. 

The teams around us have lost games.

Applauding that pish is why we won't compete. It's all been said before though even in seasons gone by.

Yeah that's the reason we dropped points because we cheered the team on. More booing wins games, clown

Burford Jamtart
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we need to have more attackers on the pitch, 8 defensive players who offer little in the creation of chances is holding us back. It’s only going to get worse in the second round of matches as teams get used to us. 
Walker shouldn’t really be needed to come on and score as many times as he did last season and now this. 
Not sure why he didn’t come on tonight, subbing McKay at 89 minutes, what chance did GMS have to do anything at that point, once again not really going for the three points in the latter stages. 

Completely agree - 3 isn’t enough unless your wide players and centre midfielders can get behind their defence.  Ours don’t.  This is where the slightly underlying negative thinking results in draws and not wins.

3pts for a win = 3 draws!!  Pretty obvious to me to go with a fourth attacker and really try to win it.

Barrie McKay seems to be getting an easy ride. Can tell technically good player however his finishing and decision making in the final third concerns me right now..Ginnelly definitely deserves a run in the team after tonight👍🏻

16 minutes ago, One five said:

A striker in January is a MUST.

I know what you're saying, but we're still the third-highest scoring team in the league.

If there are any strikers available in January, clubs will be beating a path to their door.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
24 minutes ago, Cade said:

Heart's inability to score when well on top is killing our season.

11 games unbeaten sounds nice but over a 38-game season, 38 games unbeaten can mean anything from 114 points to as little as 38.

We have 22 from 11 already, so theoretical minimum for us would be 49

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Yeah that's the reason we dropped points because we cheered the team on. More booing wins games, clown

Not what I was alluding to but crack on. I mean the smiling happy faces at the end as if its a result. I was ****ing furious we didn't win that. When you look at the other results tonight it's a chance lost. 

"Undefeated" aye brilliant. But Celtic are above us and have lost 3.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Burford Jamtart said:

Completely agree - 3 isn’t enough unless your wide players and centre midfielders can get behind their defence.  Ours don’t.  This is where the slightly underlying negative thinking results in draws and not wins.

3pts for a win = 3 draws!!  Pretty obvious to me to go with a fourth attacker and really try to win it.

Definitely, the more we play this system and style the more teams will negate any good things we do. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
25 minutes ago, NLTFTh said:

Bottom 6 awaits us undoubtedly if we don't do something about our powder puff strike force, I use the word force lightly pmsl. 

Simply nowhere near what we need currently, if it's not addressed then another mehhhh season will unfold.. 

No matter what possession you have if the balls not in the pocket then it's curtains.. 

It's already better than meh. If we carry on like this it'll be our best season for a long time

3 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

So disappointed with Woodburn so far,was excited getting him

in but needs to practise keeping his shots down

They all need to spend a full day just shooting … nothing else - just shooting on target 

Just on the way back down the road on the bus from the game. It was actually a pretty decent performance and that’s not been the case for a long time going to mcdiarmid. We had a really shaky start and it looked like we struggled to adapt to the conditions. Once we got going we looked good and controlled most of the game. Nando worked hard and did well along with most of the team. We just lacked that killer cross at times although McKays ball through for the goal was superb and Gino did the rest superbly. Loads of positives tonight and it’s pretty fun going to away games again as we’ve got a team out there giving their all. St J were stuffy and defended well but were lucky we didn’t win that. 

We are still doing a lot better than I thought we would. Keep playing like this and the results will improve further. Room for improvement but it’s good times following Hearts just now and long may it continue. 

9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I dare say we'll not be the only ones looking but who can we realistically afford who would improve the team immediately? 

I’ve no idea mate who but we need someone that can hit the back of the net regularly.

Italian Lambretta

If we are drawing against the Sheep after 70 minutes there is no chance Neilson will go for the win. Moore and Haring will be on the pitch along with 5 other defenders. 

Just now, Jambo61 said:

Your a bit of a repetitive jessie!

It’s ‘you’re’.

Can you not get anything right this evening?

12 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

They have to be here in fairness.  .net is back in lockdoon.

Not for those us who are registered users!

Fair to say, they aren't happy, the balance of opinion seems to be increasingly shifting in favour of the Ross out camp.  The main argument from those against getting rid of him is that their recruitment in the Summer was piss poor and that was all down to Mathie, hence him being punted.

Nisbet also seems to be coming in for more criticism each passing game.

Just now, Italian Lambretta said:

If we are drawing against the Sheep after 70 minutes there is no chance Neilson will go for the win. Moore and Haring will be on the pitch along with 5 other defenders. 

Or put attacking players on like the last couple of games maybe. There’s been no evidence of those type of subs this season. 

10 minutes ago, OTT said:

I hate how often our 'wingbacks' take a ball stationary and end up having to turn it back when they get closed down. 

I think any notion that they're supposed to be helping in the attack is wishful thinking. We're playing with 3 Centrebacks, 2 full backs and 2 holding midfielders. Probably explains a lot of our attacking woes. 

Wonder if its time to look at mixing up the formation. 3 at the back suits Halkett, but doesn't appear to suit anyone else. 433 or 4321 might best going forward. 

Suspect Robbie is just going to soldier on with this pish though. 

Spot on to be honest. We’ve got better players now but it’s the same old safety first from Robbie. I wish he’d grow a set and take some chances occasionally.

10 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I think the improvement is there for all (except an obvious few) to see.

The worry is our forward players. Our central striker is pretty much on his own in the box most of the time.

Tonight Mackay was playing so deep, often behind Halliday, our two sitting midfielders rarely get forward, and Smith/Halliday no longer have the juice to get right forward.

It means when we are crossing the only target is big Armand, normally with 2/3 defenders marking him.

It was the same against Dundee.

Ginnelly was certainly much better in the supporting role and getting into good positions.

I think the basis is good, just need wide players who know where the goal is, rather than just create.

Am afraid that's the managers strategy and I don't see it changing.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I would like to have seen Walker get the last 15 minutes or so. The type of game where there was a good chance for him to bag a winner.

I thought he would have got a chance but think his days are well numbered with us

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

We should be beating the bottom three teams in this league with the depth and quality we have. No doubt about that imo. Evidently you're correct, because we didn't but for the money spent failing to beat all 3 of them is poor.

We're doing really well and I'm pleasantly surprised by it but if ever there was an OF there for the taking it's now. We've actually done the hard part and fallen over on the 'easy stuff'.

Up front I think Boyce and Gnando are about as good as we can hope for quality wise. Our issue is Boyce isn't a striker and we play a 343 so that's a problem...and we don't really have wing backs. Those 3 positions are a big part of where our goals and assists should come from, it's no surprise we're lacking in the goals for tally really.

Maybe we'll address it in January.

Overall, I'm still happy with where we are for sure.

You're right we should be beating these teams, we're evidently better but the SPL is quite a tight league outside the OF, anyone can get a result against anyone else if you're not on the ball for 90 minutes. It's the daft wee mistakes costing us in all those games, that's not something you can really legislate for especially when we have defended really well for 89 minutes v Dundee for example. 

Agree. I personally think we can do better than Boyce and certainly Gnando. I like Boyce but as you say he is probably not a #9 more of a supporting striker, a link man, alongside another, he's not really got the pace to work an entire backline. Certainly need better wing backs to improve this current formation, they don't put enough quality crosses in. 

I think if we get a striker, a RWB and competition for Craig in January we've done quite well. 

Italian Lambretta
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Or put attacking players on like the last couple of games maybe. There’s been no evidence of those type of subs this season. 

It will happen this Saturday for certain. 

5 minutes ago, JI TEES said:

Barrie McKay seems to be getting an easy ride. Can tell technically good player however his finishing and decision making in the final third concerns me right now..Ginnelly definitely deserves a run in the team after tonight👍🏻

Barrie McKay wasn’t really spotted in the final third.  He seemed be he either totally missing or popping up on the half way line. 
him and Ginnelly need to be fed the ball around the edge of the box to terrorise defenders.  Down the line and cut back cross or cut inside into the box and pen/foul or shot.  

11 minutes ago, 151 said:

We are shite unfortunately. Going unbeaten is irrelevant if you can't beat anyone either. 

Applauding that pish is why we won't compete. It's all been said before though even in seasons gone by.

I'm assuming you didn't watch the game.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Again, total bullshit. Last two games we have gone for the win and dominated the games. Must be blind or stupid to think just because we drew that what we went for. The disappointing thing was Dundee and St J were celebrating a draw, we weren't

Wow we dominated possession, because we go backwards all the time and slowly pass it around between the five defenders and two defensive midfielders, without actually hurting teams or creating chances. Did you miss the fact that Dundee got horsed 5 nil tonight? 4 shots on target in both games against two tinpot teams is not going for a win, making like for like subs without changing the formation that isn’t working to a more attacking one is all you need to know about this far too defensive manager. 
Teams at the bottom of the league usually are happier with draws against better teams. 

18 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Still undefeated but we could easily be 10pts better off had we taken our chances against hibs, Aberdeen, ross county , dundee and tonight 

If we had got one more goal in just 3 of those games, we'd have 6 extra points and be clear at the top of the league.  I know that 'ifs' mean nowt, but it's frustrating to see the great opportunity that is quickly slipping through our fingers. 

8 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

So disappointed with Woodburn so far,was excited getting him

in but needs to practise keeping his shots down

Have to agree. He’s been below average. A lot of players with lesser reputations have had a hell of a lot more stick from our support for performances on par with how he’s played so far if not better. His reputation will only give him so much leeway I feel. Boy needs to learn that his shots cause no issue to the opposition defence and try a different approach.

33 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Few disappointed vermin on here tonight - cheer up yer hangin on to 6 th equal 

ya wallopers !

Guest ToqueJambo

Another "How did we not win that?" game.

Disappointing but still, a full round of unbeaten fixtures is a fantastic achievement, beyond what any of us expected pre season - well done everyone.

Just now, Tazio said:

Some people see what they want to see. 

His post was that bad I just assumed he didn't watch the game but you are ofcourse right 

11 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Maybe not a mistake. Perhaps the right one wasn't available. Signings have been good lately. A little patience is all.

On the summer transfer thread I seem to recall we were supposedly looking at two options, but ultimately couldn't get either over the line.

As both Joe and Robbie have said, we are focusing on getting in the right quality of player, and if a deal falls down we're not going to panic and get anyone else in just for the sake of it.

It's a pity that we didn't get one of our targets in, because if they had been of a similar quality / impact as the other new recruits, we'd likely be top of the league just now.  We'd only have needed to turn a couple of draws into wins to be there.

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, 151 said:

🤣 We hammered them 1-1 FFS.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know what you're saying, but we're still the third-highest scoring team in the league.

If there are any strikers available in January, clubs will be beating a path to their door.

Yes it’s difficult to get a good striker but we are the the third biggest supported club in Scotland. Maybe I’m wrong but there must strikers out there that can do a better job than Gnando or is he the best we can afford! 

I only watched the second half but thought it was an excellent performance just missing the quality in the final third. 

Ive seen some abysmal performances away from home over the years and that definitely wasn’t one of them. The lack of cutting edge is a bit of a concern though.