***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

5 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Totally sick of the number of opportunities we attempted to cross the ball into the box and the weak cross never got above or past the first defender. Absolutely amateur and needs sorted quickly.

It's incredible how bad we are at crossing into the box, even from free kicks.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Second half was very very good but Halliday on set pieces really? 

I love his battling qualities but he can't cross a ball. FFS get ball players on set pieces. These stupid dropped points will make a huge difference at the end of this season. Annoyed at the result but loved some of the football we played second half. Won't talk about their goal. Devlin easily MOTM

Is there anyone in this team who can cross a ball / beat the first man?  It’s frustrating as ****, time and time again watching a player just batter the ball against the nearest defender (whether it’s a set piece or in open play).  What the **** do they work on in training?

3 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Second half was very very good but Halliday on set pieces really? 

I love his battling qualities but he can't cross a ball. FFS get ball players on set pieces. These stupid dropped points will make a huge difference at the end of this season. Annoyed at the result but loved some of the football we played second half. Won't talk about their goal. Devlin easily MOTM

2 wing backs could make such a difference 

5 minutes ago, Stone1992 said:

How do you get us bottom 6 if we keep

up our current ratio of wins draws and losses? 

Remember he is a Hibs fan, and he can't count.

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Get it ****ing in the box,92 mins in and still pissing about the back.

Halkett just get to ****,imposter.

You should do one, has been great this season so far, not the best tonight, you're the imposter.

Said it after Saturday. This unbeaten run means **** all. We have chucked points down the drain in all but 1 of those draws. By far the better team in the last two games and chucked away 4 points. 

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

As soon as you start thinking a draw is better than a defeat, you stop trying to win games. Wins are all that matter. 

Obviously never seen the game if you think that we settled for a draw. 

And a draw is better than a defeat. 

1 minute ago, NLTFTh said:

Bottom 6 awaits us undoubtedly if we don't do something about our powder puff strike force, I use the word force lightly pmsl. 

Simply nowhere near what we need currently, if it's not addressed then another mehhhh season will unfold.. 

No matter what possession you have if the balls not in the pocket then it's curtains.. 

Yer erse. Bottom six 🤣

So the new shout from the wind up squad is bottom 6 by Christmas. Bollocks. The goals will come, the team is learning a new style and learning it pretty quickly. The wins will come. 

Fitzroy Pointon
3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Very disappointed but we are unbeaten after the first round of games and just 3 points from the top.

It could have been a lot worse.

How on earth though did we not beat Dundee?

Our finishing let us down again. A clinical striker would have finished Boyce's chance on Saturday. Boyce isn't clinical. 

Unfortunately they're hard to come by on our budget. 

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Said it after Saturday. This unbeaten run means **** all. We have chucked points down the drain in all but 1 of those draws. By far the better team in the last two games and chucked away 4 points. 

Yip, 6 draws out of 11 is poor.

5 minutes ago, gedster said:

Probably needs loaned out to ICT or similar if we can get better in, in January because the Championship is his level unfortunately.

More rubbish.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's incredible how bad we are at crossing into the box, even from free kicks.

Its baffling because we're playing with wingers, why play with wingers if they're that bad at crossing? :D 

On free kicks, why the **** was Halliday anywhere near them? Kingsley seems to be the one that regularly converts them. Recall Halliday failing to even clear the wall immediately putting us under pressure. 

Its exasperating. 

Draws are a waste of time when it's 3 points for a win. The unbeaten tag could become something that prevents us from trying to win games - end up trying to protect the unbeaten tag rather than pushing for the win.

Celtic have lost 3 games and have more points than us! 

I think tonight shows how quietly effective Cochrane is.

Has a great partnership with Kingsley and its usually our strongest side of the pitch.

Tonight nothing down the left, and shows how average(being kind) that Halliday is.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rangers 1 point
Celtic 3 points
Hearts 1 point
Dundee Utd 1 point
Hibs 0 points
Motherwell 1 point

St Mirren 1 point
Aberdeen 1 point

Livi 1 point
Dundee 0 points
Ross County 3 points

A strange evening.

Overall, Celtic and Ross county +2
Dundee and Hibs -1
Everybody else; as you were.

Heart's inability to score when well on top is killing our season.

11 games unbeaten sounds nice but over a 38-game season, 38 games unbeaten can mean anything from 114 points to as little as 38.

Hibs played really well after their fire drill. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Folk that thought we could challenge the OF this season must be puffing on crack mate. They've only got themselves to blame if they're now disappointed. 

True, but you can also see why it's not that outlandish given their points haul so far this season.

We should be beating Dundee, St Johnstone and Ross County home or away and beating Hibs and Aberdeen at home. If we'd won even just 3 of those 5 we'd be putting serious pressure on the OF...but we didn't because we're not very good, nor are they, but better than us.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

So the new shout from the wind up squad is bottom 6 by Christmas. Bollocks. The goals will come, the team is learning a new style and learning it pretty quickly. The wins will come. 

This. We'll never be bottom 6 this season.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Rangers 1 point
Celtic 3 points
Hearts 1 point
Dundee Utd 1 point
Hibs 0 points
Motherwell 1 point

St Mirren 1 point
Aberdeen 1 point

Livi 1 point
Dundee 0 points
Ross County 3 points

A strange evening.

Dundee and Hibs -1

11 games unbeaten sounds nice but over a 38-game season, 38 games unbeaten can mean anything from 114 points to as little as 38.

Agreed but it does seem like a missed opportunity. Dundee result on Saturday does show how some teams will raise their game against the big 3 Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. It's a compliment in many ways. But we need to learn how to deal with it. As the ugly sisters do. 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rangers 1 point
Celtic 3 points
Hearts 1 point
Dundee Utd 1 point
Hibs 0 points
Motherwell 1 point

St Mirren 1 point
Aberdeen 1 point

Livi 1 point
Dundee 0 points
Ross County 3 points

A strange evening.

Dundee and Hibs -1

There's a wee bit of the Levein run feel to this, that's why I've said it's obviously better to lose a game and turn another 2 draws into wins. The unbeaten thing can play on the mind.

8 minutes ago, Stone1992 said:

How do you get us bottom 6 if we keep

up our current ratio of wins draws and losses? 

Sorry should've been more specific, taking the last 4/5 games into account...

If we draw the rest of our games and assuming losses from Rangers and Celtic then Motherwell or Hibs, who are both six points behind us, can easily leapfrog us.

We need to win games, we can't keep drawing them.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Halliday was shocking. My frustrating is that we're seeing virtually the same team/subs week in week out and we have the same problems week in week out. Walker offers something different and unlike half our attack, he actually knows how to put the ball in the net. 

Indeed, like for like subs once again who offer nothing. 

Tennant's  6's
3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

As soon as you start thinking a draw is better than a defeat, you stop trying to win games. Wins are all that matter. 

That's a good way of putting it,  kinda typifies Robbie's approach, despite his rhetoric about winning games.

Savage was on his phone anytime the cameras when to Neilson, hopefully he was concluding deals for a striker and attacking mid for Jan..

bobby bombscare

Compared to the last season we were in the SPL, we drew away there and were celebrating like we won the League.. now we're not happy that we dropped points. That shows things are going in the right direction! I think we need to strengthen with another striker and someone who can deputise for smith. 

As for the subs, what good is bringing GMS on with less than 10 mins to go? It runs the clock down more than it helps us. Could have made a double sub at 70-75 mins and woulda made all the difference to a Saints team that looked tired. Also, that is the kind of game where you need walker to have a moment of brilliance in my opinion. We've seen it in his last spell and last season. 

Tough ground for us to go to and get a result. I want more than a draw though. 

4 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Still don't think neilson is getting the most out of a good squad. 

Hope savage has strikers lined up. 

Short of 2 decent wing backs, an attacking midfielder and a decent return scorer (excl penalties)!

Are we better than last year, assuredly, are we decent, nah, not quite!

Smith works hard, decent defender, hardly a wing back and never a crosser! Kingsley/ Halliday meh!

Robbie.....never been convinced, nowt has changed on that front!

Don't bother have lost my sunglasses!

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I don't really see where the improvement is going to come from. Unless Gnanduillet suddenly becomes a goal scorer. 

Its solid but just lacking real bite up front. 

Unbelievable.

Yet again another frustrating result, results are all that matter and we are drawing too many games that should and could have been wins, I’m still waiting to see this player in woodburn, his finishing tonight was terrible and as good as smith has been for us he really does slow our attacking momentum down, over all another frustrating game where we have ultimately dropped yet another 2 points and the old firm assume the usual top 2 slots !

HeartsandonlyHearts
55 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’m changing my previous thoughts. We need to win this. Other scores going our way means we have to stay in the race until the absolute end. We can really really really win the league this season. I seriously believe that.

Come on Hearts!!!

I’m changing back to my original thoughts. We’ll never win the league this season. If ever again.

We have absolutely no game changers in our squad. The closest we have to a game changer is Gordon when he changes a game with a great save.

Halliday should never start another game.

Baningime was missing (needs a break)

Woodburn has no confidence right now

The defense is all tippy tappy back and sideways

Midfield couldn’t hit a barn door from 20 yards

Forwards are average at best.

So frustrating tonight. Possession means nothing if you do nothing with it.

Not one player is willing to take the team and game by the scruff of the neck. 
We are so slow and laborious going forward. No oomph whatsoever.

Gordon cut out a cross and started a fast break with a great throw out. Not 30 seconds later the ball was at his feet again from a pass back. That won’t win you shit.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rangers 1 point
Celtic 3 points
Hearts 1 point
Dundee Utd 1 point
Hibs 0 points
Motherwell 1 point

St Mirren 1 point
Aberdeen 1 point

Livi 1 point
Dundee 0 points
Ross County 3 points

A strange evening.

Dundee and Hibs -1

Killing our season? Behave!

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Yip, 6 draws out of 11 is poor.

Zero defeats is all right though.

We are chapping on the door but it's going to take a bit of luck in the January transfer market.

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, Halliphax said:

Sorry should've been more specific, taking the last 4/5 games into account...

If we draw the rest of our games and assuming losses from Rangers and Celtic then Motherwell or Hibs, who are both six points behind us, can easily leapfrog us.

We need to win games, we can't keep drawing them.

So selectively picking a few games... How about you take the league leaders recent run of results and try and convince us they'll be bottom 6 too? 😂

Just now, Tennant's 6's said:

That's a good way of putting it,  kinda typifies Robbie's approach, despite his rhetoric about winning games.

Savage was on his phone anytime the cameras when to Neilson, hopefully he was concluding deals for a striker and attacking mid for Jan..

Funny to talk about winning games when emphasising how hard it is/ how long it's been.........almost a ready excuse!

Yep. Have to admit I thought Gino took his chance to show he can play but yet again he gets battered. Don't think our league protects skilful players like him. McKay knows when to run but then passes before he gets booted. 

The problem with dominating games is the other team just sit in and it's hard to break down. Early goals are needed, not giving away stupid goals in the first ten mins.

Like others have said take our chances and we have far more points than we do. That said if you dominate games you will win more than you lose.

I do wonder how many folk that said we would be in relegation trouble this season are raging at being third.

Tennant's  6's
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Has a great partnership with Kingsley and its usually our strongest side of the pitch.

Tonight nothing down the left, and shows how average(being kind) that Halliday is.

He's one of a few players, Halkett,  Walker, GMS being others, that defo need upgraded in the summer, with hopefully the more promising young players like Pollock, McGill or Smith to maybe fill out the squad

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Maybe the manager and the coaches should realise this, did any Hearts fan think oh good Halliday is playing? There’s a reason ten top league teams weren’t interested in him last summer. Don’t want to see him again on the bench never mind the team. 

It’s a strange league.

rangers drop points at home to Aberdeen ffs

Ross county put 5 past Dundee

It is what it is.  Didn’t think we would be 3rd and unbeaten at the start of the season tbh.

A striker away from being very good.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

Compared to the last season we were in the SPL, we drew away there and were celebrating like we won the League.. now we're not happy that we dropped points. That shows things are going in the right direction! I think we need to strengthen with another striker and someone who can deputise for smith. 

As for the subs, what good is bringing GMS on with less than 10 mins to go? It runs the clock down more than it helps us. Could have made a double sub at 70-75 mins and woulda made all the difference to a Saints team that looked tired. Also, that is the kind of game where you need walker to have a moment of brilliance in my opinion. We've seen it in his last spell and last season. 

Tough ground for us to go to and get a result. I want more than a draw though. 

GMS came on in 89th minute!

Just now, Tennant's 6's said:

He's one of a few players, Halkett,  Walker, GMS being others, that defo need upgraded in the summer, with hopefully the more promising young players like Pollock, McGill or Smith to maybe fill out the squad

Halkett has been one of our best players this season, had a nightmare tonight but he’s been outstanding.

15 minutes ago, NLTFTh said:

piss poor from the first to the 93rd minute....

Perhaps tiddlywinks would be an easier game for you to understand?

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I don't really see where the improvement is going to come from. Unless Gnanduillet suddenly becomes a goal scorer. 

Its solid but just lacking real bite up front. 

Yeah. I don't even think it's just the strikers either. We need a midfielder to bang some goals in - I had hoped perhaps Halliday would have his shooting boots on tonight. 

We were unlucky with some chances but we've been saying that after every match. 

Plus points - utterly dominant once we settled and played some good attacking, passing football. Gino scoring was good to see too. 

8 minutes ago, NLTFTh said:

Bottom 6 awaits us undoubtedly if we don't do something about our powder puff strike force, I use the word force lightly pmsl. 

Simply nowhere near what we need currently, if it's not addressed then another mehhhh season will unfold.. 

No matter what possession you have if the balls not in the pocket then it's curtains.. 

Said it earlier on in this thread striking options in general in Scotland are really poor right now.If we are struggling for goals then so are others.We will be nowhere near bottom 6 

Edited by vegas-voss

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, like for like subs once again who offer nothing. 

The difference between Walker and every other player in our attack is that if the ball drops to him at the edge of the box, its going in or at least on target. The laddie can score goals and do it consistently. He's had a shit run of luck for injuries but he could absolutely do a job for the last 20 minutes in stuffy games where we need someone to step up. He'll be motivated far in away more than anyone else, because if he cannot get an extension here his next move is down. 

We're absolutely awful in front of goal and its ruining the good work and solid defensive unit that we have. If you squander chance after chance invariably it bites you on the arse. We seen it against Dundee and we'll see it again and again until something changes. We should be 6 points to the good, instead we're 2 and it feels like we've lost twice. The OF are already starting to take off now too, so any fleeting hope we had of doing something special has been pished up a wall by an utterly woeful attack.