Bednar Vs Jankauskas

jambo-fletch

Which one was better in their spell at Hearts in your opinion? Great memories of both players and Jankauskas obviously had a better career. But which Striker was better in their time with the Jambos?

Jankauskas for me, he had everything you could ask for and created as many goals as he scored with his movement off the ball. For me he was a better all round player than Bednar but we where spoiled to have had the two of them play for the Famous

Some of Jannys hold up and link up play was phenomenal. They were at very different stages of their careers when here. 

Bednar for me if I could have 1.

A_A wehatethehibs

Janny more the team player who would set people up

Roman more selfish, and hungrier to get his goal. 

I personally love a selfish striker, so for me, it’s Roman. Just wish we had him for a few more games in 05-06 he was injured for a few months iirc

I'll have both. Janny had seen and done the lot. Bednar was a brilliant young player.

Both lucky the played for Hearts and we were Lucky to see them play.

Great question, Janny had the pedigree but thought bednar was livelier around the box. Pushed I would go for Bednar was always disappointed if he wasn’t in the first 11

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Janny was a more proven quality payer - he had been there done that.

Bednar had the potential to be better but I’m not sure he got there?

What happened to him after he left us - did he win a major euro cup? 

Janny was better... But if I had to take one now it would be Bednar... We could use a player like him in the team

Bednar, up until big Marv killed him, he was unplayable. 

His running, his movement, his awareness. He could score all kinds of goals. 

He really was a top player. 

Can't help but think we should have done much better with those two. Shame. 

Janny was effortlessly class. Tzoilis kind of reminded me a bit of him in his first few appearances - like the class and intelligence he plays with is so obvious a level above anyone playing in Scotland.

TBF our current team could do with someone like that, I know we have Gordon, but someone outfield who has that level of experience/ ability and in all reality probably shouldn't be here!! :D 

Jankauskas if only for the shot he scored against Motherwell from the edge of the box. I’ve never seen a ball hit so hard for a Hearts goal. If he’d missed it would have killed someone in the Roseburn. 

Edited by Tazio

13 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What happened to him after he left us - did he win a major euro cup? 

Well there was the slight cocaine issue when he was at West Brom of course. 

Just now, Ari Gold said:

Jankauskas for the first year. Bednar was good but I always felt he slightly overrated. 

Different pedigrees when they arrived, one with a CL medal and a long career in decent leagues, one fresh from the Czech 2nd division.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well there was the slight cocaine issue when he was at West Brom of course. 

Oh yeah… 😂

I understand that was a bit of an issue at Hearts around that time 🤔

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Jankauskas for the first year. Bednar was good but I always felt he slightly overrated. 

To be honest I don’t really blame any player for their form going downhill in season 2

Fitzroy Pointon

Janny for me. He was class. But they were both great players. What a team we had that season man. Unreal. 

ToadKiller Dog

A bit more to Jannys game ,Bednar knew how to get at celtic though .

Bednar was a bit more of an entertainer ,janny more efficient. 

Janny suffered a bit cause he at times seemed cold and aloof added to all the vlad shenanigans ,wasnt he accused of being a vlad stooge from hat kicker types ?.

Quite different players. Janny was past his peak, good targetman, great at holding it and linking play.

Bendar was the mobile one, running channels, running in behind, pacey and powerful.

Personally thought Bednar was superb, should have become a much better player than he went on to be. 

Janny was past his peak and obviously still class but bednar shaded it for me. Should have played at a higher level than West Brom and then got invoked with stupid stuff  like drugs 

Seymour M Hersh

Any had the pedigree and was getting toward the end of a great career. Roman was more at the beginning of his by comparison and I don't think we ever really saw the best of him after that dreadful  (but of course unpunished, irc not even given a free kick) assault by Andrews at Tynie. So Janny just. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

People are confusing the first season with the second.

Janny started to get Vald flu season 2 - for example being dropped for Jamie mole against AEK 😂

Its hardly a surprise he became less motivated…

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Two things from that.

1. Sir Paul Hartley. What a man

2. I miss that Hibs keeper.

Edited by hearts151

We have been blessed with some supreme pairings in my time

Jardine Levein

McPherson Levein

Pressley Webster

Cameron Fulton

Robbo Clark

Janny Bednar

I think it is a tad too early but Benny/ Devlin/Woodburn getting there.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Glottis said:

Jankauskas was a far superior player whilst at Hearts.

Bednar could have gone on to be a better player, but didn't.

This.  We didn’t see the best of Bednar (West Brom did) mainly due to injury. 

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

People are confusing the first season with the second.

Janny started to get Vald flu season 2 - for example being dropped for Jamie mole against AEK 😂

Its hardly a surprise he became less motivated…

Didn't think he was motivated at all half the time 

Agree Bednar should have gone on to bigger and better things 

Was strange that he knew he was moving to Birmingham a year before he went .

No doubt Jankauskas was a far better player, but as the OP asked about in their time at Hearts I'd have to say Bednar. He was explosive and scored some big goals.

Guest ToqueJambo

The crazy thing about the 05/06 team is we had a guy like Janny who had won the CL a year or so before coming to us (still aged just 30) and yet when discussing our best player in that team, there are at least 5 or 6 others who could compete to be best player. Mental.

In any other season - like this one for example - he wouldn't sign for us anyhow or if he did by some miracle he'd be head and shoulders above everyone else in our team, and possibly in the entire league.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Different pedigrees when they arrived, one with a CL medal and a long career in decent leagues, one fresh from the Czech 2nd division.  

True, although Bednar had also just won best prospect or whatever they called the award their careers were definitely on different trajectories

Ronald Villiers

One was on their way up, the other's career was on the decline.  Both great players in an amazing spell for us.  Bednar edges it for me.  He was in a similar position to some of this seasons new players in that he had a point to prove and was destined for greater things.  His performance in his debut against Middlesbrough was outstanding.  I remember him shielding the ball from a triangle of 3 players, Southgate, Parlour and Parnaby at the corner of the Gorgie and main stands.  His use of body weight to shoulder them off one by one, whilst in possession of the ball was sublime. 

I thought they were both really good. Bednar over Janny for me.

But not great Hearts players.

Great players in the last 20 years are folk like.....

Gordon, Hartley, Rudi, Pressley, Niemi, Fysass, Zal

IMHO