Turning the Tables on the OF?

Victor Meldrew

Victor Meldrew

I know that the performance on Saturday has come in for criticism, but the positive I take from it is that we kept going right until the end.

For far too long, I remember games against the OF when we've been ahead and they've got late goals and either snatched a point or gone on to win the game. It's nice that we've done it to both of them this season - my hope is that it represents a shift in the mentality at the club: that the OF getting ahead or equalising doesn't mean we should crumble, and that we can get back at them.

Where they go ahead, we're not giving up (the 2020 Cup final was a great example too) and that must bode well for the rest of the season.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Beat Celtic with last minute winner, last minute equaliser in Glasgow on Saturday tells me this current team has different mentality ! We need to get through to january without too many injuries or suspensions and strengthen further in January 

If we get a result at Celtic Park on the 2nd of December( personally I believe that will be tougher than Ibrox, as I believe Celtic are a better team than Sevco), then I would consider us title challengers and perhaps  doing a 1997/8 season or a 2005/6 season, however for me it is still a big ask.

Michael Stewart made a great point after we beat Motherwell.  If Hearts keep beating the rest then we don't have to get so hung up on the OF games.  Not saying we shouldn't aim to beat them but for instance there would be no value in the draw at Ibrox if we drop points at home to Dundee next week.  

2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Michael Stewart made a great point after we beat Motherwell.  If Hearts keep beating the rest then we don't have to get so hung up on the OF games.  Not saying we shouldn't aim to beat them but for instance there would be no value in the draw at Ibrox if we drop points at home to Dundee next week.  

Yeah the real killer for a teams season is dropping silly points to bottom six sides. Yes beating Celtic/Rangers is sweet, but means **** all it we’re throwing away 2/3 points the following week. 

This team seems to have something about it, hopefully we see something special this season! 

Italian Lambretta

The toughest game we have coming up is St Johnstone away on the wednesday night. 

If we want to have any aspirations of challenging the 2 arse cheeks then we need to go and do what livi dis at the weekend.

We should look to get results every time,  there will be bad days at the office,  an example being a team scoring a goal against the run of play then sitting in and frustrating us,  these will be the games where we have to go up a gear, it will be hard, especially on those dreach, muddy games, but I believe this team can do it

19 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I agree, Also more or less what Robbie said after the game on Saturday 👍

I'd rather play pish and Win or draw, than brilliant and get beat. We've all experienced this supporting Hearts and losing playing great , ye can stick right up yer arse.

30 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

26 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah the real killer for a teams season is dropping silly points to bottom six sides. Yes beating Celtic/Rangers is sweet, but means **** all it we’re throwing away 2/3 points the following week. 

This team seems to have something about it, hopefully we see something special this season! 

It's a fallacy that getting a result against the old firm is meaningless if you drop points the next week. We will drop points to non-old firm teams. Exactly when that happens is irrelevant. We dropped points to Ross County. When we equalised against Rangers, no one was thinking 'ah its all pointless because of that result in Dingwall'. If we draw against Dundee and then win our next 5 before we play Celtic, the fact the Dundee game came just after the Rangers game doesn't make it matter any more than if we win 5 but drop points at Aberdeen. Its a cliche. A cliche that might be a useful motovational too for a manager but is still a cliche.

Absolute Scenes
48 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

If we went the whole season, beating the teams we should be beating, we absolutely wouldn't need to worry about Celtic Rangers. We've already won 4 points off them. Thats why drawing with County and Aberdeen leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as we'd be top by a decent stretch. But i wont complain about the small things, we are doing so well so far.

Absolute Scenes
25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'd rather play pish and Win or draw, than brilliant and get beat. We've all experienced this supporting Hearts and losing playing great , ye can stick right up yer arse.

Agreed. Its such a Hibs mentality "Aye but we played wi flair ken, we'll bounce back" 

Some of their fans actually get off on that kind of stuff. Losing but with style - WHIT??!

41 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

The toughest game we have coming up is St Johnstone away on the wednesday night. 

If we want to have any aspirations of challenging the 2 arse cheeks then we need to go and do what livi dis at the weekend.

Next 2 games will tell us a lot

1 hour ago, Victor Meldrew said:

I know that the performance on Saturday has come in for criticism, but the positive I take from it is that we kept going right until the end.

For far too long, I remember games against the OF when we've been ahead and they've got late goals and either snatched a point or gone on to win the game. It's nice that we've done it to both of them this season - my hope is that it represents a shift in the mentality at the club: that the OF getting ahead or equalising doesn't mean we should crumble, and that we can get back at them.

Where they go ahead, we're not giving up (the 2020 Cup final was a great example too) and that must bode well for the rest of the season.

Definitely a shift in mentality at the club and good to see.

jambo-in-furness

Something that stuck in my mind from Saturday was the Hun commentators suggesting that Hearts couldn’t run around chasing the ball without tiring and leaving gaps in the later stages of the game.

Aye right!

Just now, jambo-in-furness said:

Something that stuck in my mind from Saturday was the Hun commentators suggesting that Hearts couldn’t run around chasing the ball without tiring and leaving gaps in the later stages of the game.

Aye right!

The energy levels are outstanding. Like night and day compared to previous seasons.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Aye right!

Yep, the opposite happened and they were dumbfounded by our fitness levels. You could tell Clive Tildsley wanted to give Hearts a bit more praise but probably instructed he was not allowed to give the opposition any credit. 

There’s a lot to be said for keeping a game against OF tight first 70 minutes, then exploding into action and getting your late goal.  A late goal means there’s no time for the referee to step in and take the result away from you. Whereas if you come out the traps early like Hibs, that gives the ref plenty time in the game to have his say 

Ex member of the SaS

There is no doubt we will lose a game or more this season, bit of a freak Sevco did it last season, and we definitely won't go the whole season undefeated.

But it's the way we lose those games that will count. A lucky or freak goal against while playing well is far more acceptable than losing due to playing poorly /big mistakes/poor tactics.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yep, the opposite happened and they were dumbfounded by our fitness levels. You could tell Clive Tildsley wanted to give Hearts a bit more praise but probably instructed he was not allowed to give the opposition any credit. 

There’s a lot to be said for keeping a game against OF tight first 70 minutes, then exploding into action and getting your late goal.  A late goal means there’s no time for the referee to step in and take the result away from you. Whereas if you come out the traps early like Hibs, that gives the ref plenty time in the game to have his say 

The problem is sitting in trying to defend for 70 minutes means you WILL lose a goal or two. I have slagged Robbie ( even though I wanted him ) but feel he got things right. Just the right amount of defending and breaking away and still managing to pound them late on.

1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Would disagree, they got a few injured at weekend and are not same team after selling their two best players, I think Aberdeen away will be a toughie, judging by game at Tynecastle. But one game at a time if Dundee score first we could toil.

Only folk that don't understand football would criticise the first half performance but the simple fact is we hadn't played against anyone of that quality in the league this season so obviously it was going to take time to adjust hence the fact the second half was a massive improvement and to be honest if the game had went on another ten mins or so there was only one team winning it as we were looking much fitter than them and they were on the back foot. 

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I agree with that. 97/98 we didn't beat the OF once (we were unlucky at Ibrox once) and still finished 17 points clear in third and only five points off Rangers in second. The only games we lost other than against the OF were Hibs and Dunfermline. Seven draws against the others though. 

We look like a team that has an extra gear when needed, something I've not seen in us in years.

As previously stated we need to get to January as tight to others at the top then perhaps strengthen the squad when the transfer window opens, but only if it benefits us.

We most definitely look like a team that believes. HHGH.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

The problem is sitting in trying to defend for 70 minutes means you WILL lose a goal or two. I have slagged Robbie ( even though I wanted him ) but feel he got things right. Just the right amount of defending and breaking away and still managing to pound them late on.

Yes but if you can keep that to a 1 goal difference, you are still in the game. Keeping your concentration is the main thing. It’s not about “sitting in”, you’ve got to use your possession well too, but it’s just making sure you defend well and don’t give them any free hits. Because the attackers coming at you, are going to be quality players it’s a fact of life.

Салатные палочки

Screenshot_20211018-101439_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ecf0d5c11decb9a2dbf5aad71f9fd823.jpg

Screenshot_20211018-101525_Instagram.thumb.jpg.33ffce99c40ef9cc010e6aa72be61747.jpg

Screenshot_20211018-101618_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1ece192c070e0b57d595bd24ed08c82d.jpg

Definitely a different feeling around the team this year. 

21 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I agree, but it wasn’t tight for 55 mins on Saturday, we were totally dominated and they should have been out of sight by that time then the last 35 mins when we weee very good would have been irrelevant. FWIW I think we are a very good side just now and think RN/JS are doing a great job. 

We beat Celtic at home playing our own game. Went to Parkhead in the cup and changed everything based on the way Celtic play.  Let's be honest, we were battered that day even though it was 3-2.

I agree with a few others, Celtic are a better and more dangerous team than Rangers. However, worse at the back. I think if we go there and play our own game then we will take something. Its not as big an ask as people make out, if we play our own game.

41 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

It's a fallacy that getting a result against the old firm is meaningless if you drop points the next week. We will drop points to non-old firm teams. Exactly when that happens is irrelevant. We dropped points to Ross County. When we equalised against Rangers, no one was thinking 'ah its all pointless because of that result in Dingwall'. If we draw against Dundee and then win our next 5 before we play Celtic, the fact the Dundee game came just after the Rangers game doesn't make it matter any more than if we win 5 but drop points at Aberdeen. Its a cliche. A cliche that might be a useful motovational too for a manager but is still a cliche.

Aberdeen dominated 2 spot for a number of years despite being pretty useless against Celtic. 

It might be a cliche but it’s also true. Win the games you’re ‘supposed’ to win and you’ll finish high up the table. Throw away silly points and you’ll be wondering ‘what if?’ come the end of the season. God knows we still are from 1986…

Savage has already stated he wants the title, so with that in mind we need to be beating the minnows in the league. 

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I agree, but it wasn’t tight for 55 mins on Saturday, we were totally dominated and they should have been out of sight by that time then the last 35 mins when we weee very good would have been irrelevant. FWIW I think we are a very good side just now and think RN/JS are doing a great job. 

I think the domination was somewhat exaggerated. Rangers dominated the midfield yes. They had an overload in there and passed the ball well. But Craig Gordon only had 2-3 saves to make. And he should’ve saved the one that went in as well it could’ve just as easily been 0-0 as it could’ve been them being out of sight, anyone that knows Craig knows he’s disappointed with that one, good height for him should’ve saved it. 

Rangers did not expos Gordons goal like that Celtic game, we defended a lot better and got the blocks in, look at the stats for the blocks I think we had 7 or 8 shots blocked in the first half. We defended a lot better and limited them to half chances which padded out their shots stats. Whereas against Celtic, they were allowed dangerous, free shots to hit the target at will. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think the domination was somewhat exaggerated. Rangers dominated the midfield yes. They had an overload in there and passed the ball well. But Craig Gordon only had 2-3 saves to make. And he should’ve saved the one that went in as well it could’ve just as easily been 0-0 as it could’ve been them being out of sight, anyone that knows Craig knows he’s disappointed with that one, good height for him should’ve saved it. 

Rangers did not expos Gordons goal like that Celtic game, we defended a lot better and got the blocks in, look at the stats for the blocks I think we had 7 or 8 shots blocked in the first half. We defended a lot better and limited them to half chances which padded out their shots stats. Whereas against Celtic, they were allowed dangerous, free shots to hit the target at will. 

He didn’t see the ball until late and it had too much power on it IMO but maybe you’re right and he’ll feel he could do more.

I think they were massively on top for the first 60 minutes however the attitude and determination to keep going changed the emphasis of the game. They might not have had shots on target but they had loads of chances they should have done better with. Although we had one potentially two that we should have scored as well.

On the balance of play I think we merited the point as although they were better in the first half we were better in the second.

34 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Screenshot_20211018-101439_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ecf0d5c11decb9a2dbf5aad71f9fd823.jpg

Screenshot_20211018-101525_Instagram.thumb.jpg.33ffce99c40ef9cc010e6aa72be61747.jpg

Screenshot_20211018-101618_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1ece192c070e0b57d595bd24ed08c82d.jpg

Definitely a different feeling around the team this year. 

Surprised gnado never got sent off for his flying kick into Woodburn.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Surprised gnado never got sent off for his flying kick into Woodburn.

He’s got long legs but he couldn’t reach the technical area from there 😜
Great to see him celebrating a goal as it’s been mentioned a few times that he doesn’t always do so. 

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

Aberdeen dominated 2 spot for a number of years despite being pretty useless against Celtic. 

It might be a cliche but it’s also true. Win the games you’re ‘supposed’ to win and you’ll finish high up the table. Throw away silly points and you’ll be wondering ‘what if?’ come the end of the season. God knows we still are from 1986…

Savage has already stated he wants the title, so with that in mind we need to be beating the minnows in the league. 

The cliche isn't that you need to win the games you are meant to win. The cliche is that following a good result in a game you aren't expected to win, the very next match takes on particular importance and a poor result in that game somehow invalidates the good result. The focus of the various comments I was highlighting on this thread were all focused specifically on the Dundee game, not for example how well we do overall in our next 6 games against non-OF teams.

If we are really aiming to win the league and we accept that Rangers are the biggest challenger to that, then it becomes even clearer that its a cliche to say the Rangers result is meaningless if we drop points against Dundee. Draws against Rangers and Dundee leaves us worse off in absolute terms than the 'expected' results of losing to Rangers and beating Dundee (2points vs 3points), but leaves us a point better off in relative terms to Rangers. The cliche that this shows is actually true is that if you are comparing two teams in close proximity in the league, the game between them is a '6 pointer'.

What you are highlighting is that what really matters is where we are after 38games. That is my point too. There is no reason to tie these two games in particular together, any more so than say the Rangers game and the second last game of the season. The Rangers result was a good result regardless of what happens in any other game. Dropping points to Dundee at home will be a poor result regardless of what the score was in the proceeding game. One doesn't invalidate the other as the cliche claims.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think the domination was somewhat exaggerated. Rangers dominated the midfield yes. They had an overload in there and passed the ball well. But Craig Gordon only had 2-3 saves to make. And he should’ve saved the one that went in as well it could’ve just as easily been 0-0 as it could’ve been them being out of sight, anyone that knows Craig knows he’s disappointed with that one. 

Spot on. 

I thought similar at the weekend, what a refreshing change to take something from them both right at the end of the match.

That said I'd have taken a 1 nil defeat in exchange for having beaten Aberdeen, Hibs and Ross County. That's the real OF mindset to match.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s got long legs but he couldn’t reach the technical area from there 😜
Great to see him celebrating a goal as it’s been mentioned a few times that he doesn’t always do so. 

Just noticed it was Halkett, I was just looking at the 9🤦‍♂️

Sow vs Rangers to make it 2-1

Zeefuik (x2) vs Rangers to make it 2-2 (from 2-0 down)

Sow vs Celtic to make it 2-2

Souttar vs Celtic to make it 2-1

Halkett vs Rangers to make it 1-1

The last minute goal vs the old firm is becoming a bit of a Neilson trademark 

We’ve had a fantastic start to the season -& credit to Robbie (who I wanted sacked after the Brora defeat), he’s done well. 

We seem to do this about once a decade, and (rightly!) get carried away. 
The truth is that we do not have anywhere near the depth the Old Firm have, and the lack of quality and consistent goal scorers is fatal. 

If we’re honest, we should have been 3 or 4 down before we scored. 

Loving the season so far, but not getting carried away. 
HHGH

A_A wehatethehibs
36 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

He didn’t see the ball until late and it had too much power on it IMO but maybe you’re right and he’ll feel he could do more.

I think they were massively on top for the first 60 minutes however the attitude and determination to keep going changed the emphasis of the game. They might not have had shots on target but they had loads of chances they should have done better with. Although we had one potentially two that we should have scored as well.

On the balance of play I think we merited the point as although they were better in the first half we were better in the second.

Im just the type of rare fan that does point to good moments of defending which sometimes I feel are a bit unsung. Yes they were on top, the better team, I’ve not denied that. But they are the champions so what do you expect? Us to go there and dominate? Just ain’t going to happen, is it, unless they are having a serious calamity of a game, so you need big moments from your defenders and we got enough of them to deserve to keep us in the game. I felt 1-0 HT was a reasonably fair reflection. It was the better defending that kept us in it, in particular it had to be 4 or 5 shots blocked by Halkett alone, whereas that game at Parkhead we were totally adrift and nowhere near the Celtic forwards. Without good defending you’ve no chance against the OF. Defending doesn’t mean stopping chances from happening, but being in the right place to get your body in the way and block those chances as well. Halkett deserved his goal at the end for the defensive improvements he has shown this season. And I am a guy who has absolutely slaughtered Halkett beyond belief on here. Most improved player I’ve seen in years tbh 

The other thing about the defending BTW it was clean and didn’t give the referee any decisions to make. No penalty shouts or red card shouts like rash Hibs defenders. So important.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

scott herbertson

I’ve always liked Halkett but have to admit my faith on him was wavering at the end of last season.

my faith in him was partly based on the reasoning that he had captained a relatively successful livi team at a very young age. 

also for all the problems with Levein mkII there is no doubting he has an eye for a good young centre half 

If only he had also had an eye for a good young centre forward….

There is a change in mentality of this team and it's for the better.

Down 3-0 to Celtic at half time - previous Hearts teams would go on and lose that by 5 or 6...we brought it back to 3-2. Of course we gave ourselves far too much to do but scoring 2 at parkhead can still be considered a positive.

We dug in v Aberdeen when they equalised at Tynecastle and were very much the stronger team come 90mins. Poor result on paper but you have to take that draw.

Trailing Ross County 2-1...we fight back and grab the equaliser.

Thoroughly outplayed first half at Ibrox and could have been 2 or 3 down but we stuck to it, got the equaliser and finished the game on top.

There have been performance issues in all the above matches - we really shouldn't be finding ourselves behind v County or at home to Aberdeen but previous Hearts teams would have lost all 4. 

There is plenty to build on but we are earning points when not playing well and in the other games we are winning with ease. It looking bright.

Looking at it in a more simple way.

Hibs finished 3rd with 63 points last year. Second place Celtic had 77, Rangers won with 102.

We aim to beat the bottom six every time we play them and we get 54 points. Only need 9 from the top 6 all season to finish 3rd. 

We already have at least that from potential top 6 teams.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

There is no doubt we will lose a game or more this season, bit of a freak Sevco did it last season, and we definitely won't go the whole season undefeated.

But it's the way we lose those games that will count. A lucky or freak goal against while playing well is far more acceptable than losing due to playing poorly /big mistakes/poor tactics.

Not just the way we lose. What’s just as important is getting right back on track in the following game. We wouldn’t want to go 3 or 4 without a win in this tight league.

I'm not getting carried away this early in the season. 4 points out of the first 6 from the Old Firm is ****ing fantastic, and a definite shift in what we're used to, but there is a long way to go. If we can do it again in the next round of fixtures, I'll feel a lot more settled, but talk of the title is just silly.  We've been in similar positions before, twice in the last decade we've been up toward the top of the table in the run up to Christmas, and then we've let it slip. 

The first half at Snake Mountain was poor, no shots on goal, and it took until the death before we looked like we were coming on to a game. A bit more positive from the start might be the difference between 3 points and 1 point, or even none, in future games.  We can't let them get comfortable and try and see games out, need to be in their faces from the very off. 

Let's see where we are at the halfway point, but it really is clear to see we've got a different mentality this season.  The players don't give up, and we're due to give someone an absolute hammering at home if we keep it up. 

Easter Road should be fun though :smuggy:

1 hour ago, Gorgieshed said:

We beat Celtic at home playing our own game. Went to Parkhead in the cup and changed everything based on the way Celtic play.  Let's be honest, we were battered that day even though it was 3-2.

I agree with a few others, Celtic are a better and more dangerous team than Rangers. However, worse at the back. I think if we go there and play our own game then we will take something. Its not as big an ask as people make out, if we play our own game.

Yes, we will certainly take something.  Probably a pumping.

People really need to wake up to the fact it isn't a simple as "playing your own game".  It's an even more ridiculous thing to try when playing our own game seems to involve having about 75% possession.  Although maybe that was just because Livingston turned up and played their own game and they hate having the ball.  

38 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

We’ve had a fantastic start to the season -& credit to Robbie (who I wanted sacked after the Brora defeat), he’s done well. 

The truth is that we do not have anywhere near the depth the Old Firm have, and the lack of quality and consistent goal scorers is fatal. 

HHGH

This fallacy we should have been 3-4 down is guff.

That is why we brought Gordon in.

He is merely doing the job he was born to do, for the team he loves.

Quite why him being awesome surprises anyone is beyond me.

Guy is an animal.

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Sow vs Rangers to make it 2-1

Zeefuik (x2) vs Rangers to make it 2-2 (from 2-0 down)

Sow vs Celtic to make it 2-2

Souttar vs Celtic to make it 2-1

Halkett vs Rangers to make it 1-1

The last minute goal vs the old firm is becoming a bit of a Neilson trademark 

All under Neilson as well

23 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

This fallacy we should have been 3-4 down is guff.

That is why we brought Gordon in.

He is merely doing the job he was born to do, for the team he loves.

Quite why him being awesome surprises anyone is beyond me.

Guy is an animal.

Aye 3 or 4 nil down yet their keeper is allowed to make saves and its normal. 

The corner scramble , save from Roofe. What else did he really have to deal with that wasn’t run of the mill. 

McGregor - save from McKay , save when a foul was given against Halkett

Both had standard saves on top of that - Goldsons header , Devlins ping , Gnandos shot. 

This place is just batshit sometimes. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Mister Dee said:

HHGH

If we should have been, we would have. Missing chances and great saves are part of football, can't just claim every good chance should be a goal, otherwise games should constantly be finishing 7-4 etc and that's a nonsense.

I put this, we should have been down nonsense in the same bin as, they deserved something from the game. You deserve nothing, and you get what you get. 

50 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Looking at it in a more simple way.

Hibs finished 3rd with 63 points last year. Second place Celtic had 77, Rangers won with 102.

We aim to beat the bottom six every time we play them and we get 54 points. Only need 9 from the top 6 all season to finish 3rd. 

We already have at least that from potential top 6 teams.

I didn't realise Rangers won with the size of a gap last year, knew it wasn't a contest but ooffttt.