T20 2021 World Cup

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Fantastic victory for Scotland over Bangladesh to start qualifying tournament. First ever win over them and gives us great chance of making Super 12. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• JWL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The_razors_edge

Was great viewing. Thoroughly deserved the win - was great to see one of our own, Mark Watt, in amongst the runs and wickets. 

7 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

I've not been paying attention, but what do we need to do to qualify for the main event? 

Finish in the top 2 from our group and then join the top 8 teams to make up the super 12 . Split into group stages before the semi final and final. Door is open but it will still be tough. Bangladesh were favourite to top our group 

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Finish in the top 2 from our group and then join the top 8 teams to make up the super 12 . Split into group stages before the semi final and final. Door is open but it will still be tough. Bangladesh were favourite to top our group 

Play Papua New Guinea Tuesday 11am then Oman Thursday 3pm. 

Oman beat Papua New Guinea today. 

IMG_20211017_224123.jpg

1 hour ago, The_razors_edge said:

Was great viewing. Thoroughly deserved the win - was great to see one of our own, Mark Watt, in amongst the runs and wickets. 

Squad number 51 as well.

CornhillHearts
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Brilliant  :clap:

Can I ask, I thought Bangladesh were now a top side, who don't require qualification? 

It’s seeded so that the top 8 ranked teams don’t require to qualify for the Super 12.

AE8F18DF-4C5E-4AAD-9647-E0ABC1D729EB.jpeg

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Brilliant  :clap:

Can I ask, I thought Bangladesh were now a top side, who don't require qualification? 

Bangladesh are currently 6th ranked team in World. But they were outside top 8 when draw was made in December 2018. 

Gap partly due to event being postponed last year and lack of games played more recently. 

Edited by Mikey1874

CornhillHearts
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bangladesh are currently 6th ranked team in World. But they were outside top 8 when draw was made in December 2018. 

Gap partly due to event being postponed last year and lack of games played more recent. 

thanks Mikey couldn’t find reference to when the draw was originally made👍

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Gap partly due to event being postponed last year and lack of games played more recently. 

26 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

It’s seeded so that the top 8 ranked teams don’t require to qualify for the Super 12.

Cheers Lads.

And where do Afghanistan play these days.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers Lads.

And where do Afghanistan play these days.

Not at home. With Taliban banning their women from playing, this could be last tournament Afghanistan allowed to enter.

ICC rule states all countries entering recognised events must have bort men and women's teams.

Currently Afghanistan women players either in hiding or have been given refuge outside country.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not at home. With Taliban banning their women from playing, this could be last tournament Afghanistan allowed to enter.

ICC rule states all countries entering recognised events must have bort men and women's teams.

Currently Afghanistan women players either in hiding or have been given refuge outside country.

Hopefully that changes. It won't, but we live in hope. Cheers Mal 👍

willie wallace
2 hours ago, CornhillHearts said:

Surely Afghanistan are not ranked higher than Sri Lanka.?

I am glad Scotland are in group B and not group A😊

Part of the problem with the rankings is some countries don't actually play many T20 International matches. 

They have done well though to include the 'other' teams. Scotland already played a tournament to qualify for this stage. 

Previously they were excluded and once the main tournament starts there will be people saying it should be restricted to the 'top' teams. Unless the smaller teams win of course. 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Afghanistan has been playing at a good standard in one day and T20 cricket for a few years now.

They have arguably the best bowler in world cricket in Rashid Khan, and also have Nabi and Rahman in the top rankings for all rounders and bowlers.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Scotland will be hoping that Oman can beat Bangladesh in the second round of games. That way Scotland can qualify by beating PNG.  Otherwise it could be two wins apiece and down to net run rates if Bangladesh beat Oman, Scotland beat PNG in the second games then Oman beat Scotland and Bangladesh beat PNG in the final games.

Oman's current NRR advantage came from a quick victory over PNG.  Scotland needs to match that. 

3 hours ago, willie wallace said:

I just noticed that. :vrwow:

It's quite frustrating that Scotland aren't better with the big Pakistani/Indian communities we have. I take it Pakistan and India poach any good players?

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

It's quite frustrating that Scotland aren't better with the big Pakistani/Indian communities we have. I take it Pakistan and India poach any good players?

I wouldn't have thought so.  India with a population of 1.4bn and Pakistan with 220m have a big enough of a domestic pool of players without having to poach anyone from a small minority within a country with a population of 5.4m

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wouldn't have thought so.  India with a population of 1.4bn and Pakistan with 220m have a big enough of a domestic pool of players without having to poach anyone from a small minority within a country with a population of 5.4m

Just wondering if they'd pick Scotland, if it  did happen.

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just wondering if they'd pick Scotland, if it  did happen.

I was first team Captain of Weirs CC now Langside who play in the Premier Division of the Western Union.

Prior to retiring, I was the only white player in the team, but can assure you that the 10 players of Asian origin in the team were far more Glaswegian than I'll ever be and absolutely see themselves as Scottish.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I was first team Captain of Weirs CC now Langside who play in the Premier Division of the Western Union.

Prior to retiring, I was the only white player in the team, but can assure you that the 10 players of Asian origin in the team were far more Glaswegian than I'll ever be and absolutely see themselves as Scottish.

:thumb: Fantastic.

Malinga the Swinga

About 20 or so short due to desire to smack every shot out if ground for 6, when sensible batting would have seen scoreboard tick over easily.

Let's hope bowlers do the job.

Malinga the Swinga

Bowlers doing job although Allie Evans bit expensive (got their captain though). Superb one handed catch from Berrington makes them 35-5.

Footballfirst

Scenario is that the winners of Oman v Scotland will go through. 

Oman has a better NRR than Scotland so will be ahead of us should they win.

Scotland could still go through in the the event of losing their last game if PNG beat Bangladesh (unlikely), or if Scotland lose very narrowly to Oman (possible) and Bangladesh beat PNG very narrowly (unlikely)

Edited by Footballfirst

Malinga the Swinga
57 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scenario is that the winners of Oman v Scotland will go through. 

Oman has a better NRR than Scotland so will be ahead of us should they win.

Scotland could still go through in the the event of losing their last game if PNG beat Bangladesh (unlikely), or if Scotland lose very narrowly to Oman (possible) and Bangladesh beat PNG very narrowly (unlikely)

Was going to say it could be rained off, but as it is in Oman, that's unlikely.

willie wallace

Irish bowler Curtis Campher becomes the first player to take 4 wickets in 4 balls in T20 world cup as Ireland thrashed the Netherlands.

He is also the only the 3rd man to do it anytime in T20 matches.

Strangely enough the other 2 to do it have already been mentioned on this thread😊

Malinga the Swinga

Hope Sri Lanka get win and then Namibia beat Ireland on Friday. Would be great I FC Scotland got through and the Irish got knocked out.

Their cricket team is going backwards and rely so much on their older guys. Think they are special but Scotland have had their mark recently.

Sri Lanka a pale shadow of what they were a few years back.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga