Scottish Mafia (merged threads)

tartofmidlothian

Sunday Herald 2002

The Times 2006

BBC Sport 2001

Scotland on Sunday, March 2008

Why didn't Alex Smith get his knickers in a twist and rush to a press conference to decry all those mafia insinuations.

Excellent retort! I applaud. Smith is a whole one!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK fair enough regarding Alex Smith's very obvious double standardisation here. I stand corrected on this one.

:)

crazy_jambo_2006

Agreed. Just noticed your post. But I've already stated I disagree with him using interpreters. Interpreter can choose the wrong word. Simultaneous interpreting is not easy. Being a banker, VR can surely speak English.

Another dimension to this is insistence on speaking through an translator. I have no idea what Romanov actually said but his translator had three goes at it before he came up with the word 'mafia'. I think he can speak enough English alright; I'm not sure if it is cowardice or arrogance that he refuses to speak it.

Sorry for bein daft but what is the largs mafia?

I can only assume that the Scottish centre for sport at Largs is where the gangsters go to take their coaching badges...

But I could be wrong.

I can only assume that the Scottish centre for sport at Largs is where the gangsters go to take their coaching badges...

But I could be wrong.

I have heard the badabing is good in Largs ;)

shaun.lawson
I have heard the badabing is good in Largs ;)

Ally McCoist: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.

Walter Smith: What do you mean I'm funny?

Ally McCoist: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy.

Walter Smith: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Ally McCoist: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.

Walter Smith: Funny how? What's funny about it?

Gordon Strachan: Wattie, no, you got it all wrong.

Walter Smith: Oh, oh, ginger baws. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?

Ally McCoist: Jus...

Walter Smith: What?

Ally McCoist: Just... ya know... you're funny.

Walter Smith: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Ally McCoist: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Walter Smith: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the **** am I funny, what the **** is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

Ally McCoist: [long pause] Get the **** out of here, Wattie!

gordon the jambo
Ally McCoist: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.

Walter Smith: What do you mean I'm funny?

Ally McCoist: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy.

Walter Smith: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Ally McCoist: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.

Walter Smith: Funny how? What's funny about it?

Gordon Strachan: Wattie, no, you got it all wrong.

Walter Smith: Oh, oh, ginger baws. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?

Ally McCoist: Jus...

Walter Smith: What?

Ally McCoist: Just... ya know... you're funny.

Walter Smith: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Ally McCoist: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Walter Smith: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the **** am I funny, what the **** is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

Ally McCoist: [long pause] Get the **** out of here, Wattie!

superb my goodfellow:107years:

Seymour M Hersh
Ironically Alex Smith is one of the men behind that name.

Surely not accusing the newly sainted Smith of protectionism are you?:rolleyes:

Alex Smith - 100% correct

Vlad - 100% wrong. I'd take practically any manager in the SPL right now. certainly better than Rix, Ivanauskas, Chervenkov, Malofeev, Vlad, Frail.

Francis Albert

So Frail has been treated abominably?

I m struggling to remember the Scottish Managers Federation expressing even the mildest concern over David Murray's treatment of Alex McLeish, whose successor was appointed six months before McLeish was sacked. Of course Paul McGuen's treatment (player supported over his manager) doesn't count because he is a foreigner (although I suspect trhe Federation is meant to represent managers in Scotland not just those of Scottish nationality).

And when did the Players Federation ever utter a squeak about the OF's regular destruction of Scottish players careers.

Mafia? You bet.

Seymour M Hersh
OK fair enough regarding Alex Smith's very obvious double standardisation here. I stand corrected on this one.

:)

Well done you. Few on here (and I have to include myself) show a willingness to hold their hands up when shown to be off target.:)

Nucky Thompson
Ivanauskas
How many other SPL managers apart from WS and GS have won the Scottish Cup?

The Mighty Thor
I agree with you. Romanov wants to challenge the old firm.

Sadly for supporters of HMFC Romanov wants to challenge the old firm on the TV and in the back pages of the papers. He hasn't tumbled to the fact that to challenge the old firm you actually need to have a well run club and put a good team on the park. Funnily enough the three domestic trophies are played for and awarded for results on the pitch and not for minutes of air time or column inches.

Once again rhetoric and bluster from the man that bears the ultimate responsibilty for the sorry state this club is in to hide his numerous deficiencies and shocking decision making.

Time for him to put up and then shut up.

Sadly for supporters of HMFC Romanov wants to challenge the old firm on the TV and in the back pages of the papers. He hasn't tumbled to the fact that to challenge the old firm you actually need to have a well run club and put a good team on the park. Funnily enough the three domestic trophies are played for and awarded for results on the pitch and not for minutes of air time or column inches.

Once again rhetoric and bluster from the man that bears the ultimate responsibilty for the sorry state this club is in to hide his numerous deficiencies and shocking decision making.

Time for him to put up and then shut up.

Yes, I'm looking forward to some tangible results of getting it up the old firm.

The Mighty Thor
Yes, I'm looking forward to some tangible results of getting it up the old firm.

We certainly showed them last season. I doubt the office junior has been sent down dalry road to buy brasso lately.

We've had the thick end of 3 years of Romanov pronouncing to anyone that'll listen that Scottish football is corrupt etc while in reality the fact that Hearts aint performing is down to him and his decisions in both player and manager employment and deployment.

If it wasn't for those pesky old firm/media/SFA types we'd be world beaters. Right?

Is Vlad correct about there being a Scottish Football Mafia -100% Yes

Is Vlad correct about the OF being to powerful- 100% yes

So now that we have been enlighten on the blatantly obvious, could we possibly have a Manager and football team. Once we have proved we can run a football team in a proper manner, and then together we can campaign by trying to change the mafia and the balance of power from a position of strength.

Only just a thought.

So now that we have been enlighten on the blatantly obvious, could we possibly have a Manager and football team. Once we have proved we can run a football team in a proper manner, and then together we can campaign by trying to change the mafia and the balance of power from a position of strength.

Only just a thought.

You sound almost as insane as he is. Scottish Mafia? WTF??? You'd do well to distance do distance yourself from an indicidual who is quite clearly delusional.

Romanov needs to have a long hard look at himself - the guy is a complete joke. Everything he touches becomes a complete farce. His ramblings should always be treated with the contempt they deserve... and how anyone could take them seriously is baffling.

Drylaw Hearts

One.

Jim Jefferies or Unused Plan C as he's sometimes known as.

FWIW, Valdas wasn't a good Manager.

He was very lucky he had the players he did to finish 2nd and win the Cup.

He was spineless and didn't have the balls to stand up to VR when it was suggested he went off sick.

His Managerial career has come to a halt.

He will probably end up Managing FBK Kaunas again.

You sound almost as insane as he is. Scottish Mafia? WTF??? You'd do well to distance do distance yourself from an indicidual who is quite clearly delusional.

Romanov needs to have a long hard look at himself - the guy is a complete joke. Everything he touches becomes a complete farce. His ramblings should always be treated with the contempt they deserve... and how anyone could take them seriously is baffling.

I think you need to read the post again.

Surely an erroneous statement, being that Romanov is a multi-millionaire.

Guest Dipped Flake

If you think Romanov and Flecktimus are insane then they must be doing something right. Any abuse you give I will always immediately back the other guy, never have agreed with anything you have posted, just usually ignore your ramblings as those of a hobo....

Surely an erroneous statement, being that Romanov is a multi-millionaire.

:th_Yawn: Thats the answer to everything though isn't it. I couldn't care what shonky deal's he's been involved in in the past

Look at his record at HEARTS

This is the man who aimed to win the Champions League and achieved a bottom 6 finish in the SPL... yet he has the gall to criticise Scottish managers and suggest they aren't good enough. He's a complete fruitcake, who thinks he knows everything, but most of the time, in fact, gives of the impression he's doesn't know if he needs a sh*te or a haircut.

As I've said before, If he really does want success at Hearts, which I doubt, then he should be tried for crimes against common sense. The man is completely in over his head - too weak financially to take on the Old Firm so randomly blames everyone else for his own inadequacies.

You don't seriously think that Ivanauskas had anything to do with that win do you? The team won the cup depsite him. Oh and Jim Jeffries in answer to your question

:th_Yawn: Thats the answer to everything though isn't it. I couldn't care what shonky deal's he's been involved in in the past

This is the man who aimed to win the Champions League and achieved a bottom 6 finish in the SPL... yet he has the gall to criticise Scottish managers and suggest they aren't good enough. He's a complete fruitcake, who thinks he knows everything, but most of the time, in fact, gives of the impression he's doesn't know if he needs a sh*te or a haircut.

As I've said before, If he really does want success at Hearts, which I doubt, then he should be tried for crimes against common sense. The man is completely in over his head - too weak financially to take on the Old Firm so randomly blames everyone else for his own inadequacies.

Add to that our worst financial record in our 134 year history and we are looking for our 8th manager in just 3 years, the guy must be one of the worst owners in the clubs history

He's made a pigs ear of Hearts thats for sure. Might want to rephrase your point to make it specific to Hearts.

Guest Dipped Flake

1st point - no he didn't but just keep spouting out the usual hobo pish

2nd point - no he didn't. He said that Scottish managers couldn't rise above the level of wanting to manage to bigot brothers. He wants a manager that wants to match and beat them.

3rd point - only one fruitcake around here and that's the one that spends all his time on a Hearts board when he hates all things Hearts..

1st point - no he didn't but just keep spouting out the usual hobo pish

2nd point - no he didn't. He said that Scottish managers couldn't rise above the level of wanting to manage to bigot brothers. He wants a manager that wants to match and beat them.

3rd point - only one fruitcake around here and that's the one that spends all his time on a Hearts board when he hates all things Hearts..

Outrageous post. HofG has been pointing out the error of Vlads ways for a while, maybe if folk had listened to him..............

HofG doesnt post anti Hearts posts just anti Vlad ones which is totally justified. By the way Vlad did say we would win the Champions League in 5 years. Also I'd be delighted to get a Scottish Manager that wanted to manage either of the old firm one day cos they'd have to be damn good at Hearts to move on. In addition, fruitcake........... wonder if you are one of the people that thought Hearts would win the league last year, just a thought

The Vlad is his own worst enemy here. He has taken a basic fact and tainted it with his own brand of drama: Branding it "The Scottish Mafia".

However, as a Hearts fan I can see why he would want to go outside of Scotland and I think that it is a good idea.

Scotland is a small place and the indigenus footballing fraternity is a close-knit clique (and stretches further than just Rangers & Celtic). Everybody knows everybody, I am sure there is a lot of internal politics that goes on and will undoubtedly frustrate the likes of Vlad who obviously doesn't want to tow the "party line".

The more I think about the rationale the more I agree, but I just wish he would stop talking p@sh!

Only just a thought.

I concur. Unfortunately, there has been a real polarisation amongst Hearts fans (evident in the sizeable sample that is JKB) which I feel might well manifest itself in boxing in the stadium this season, if things don't go very well from the beginning. The unwillingness of SO MANY regular posters on this site to support any tangible progress is both depressing and yet sadly predictable. They are like a modern type of Luddite.: destructive rhetoric with no answers.

The Vlad is his own worst enemy here. He has taken a basic fact and tainted it with his own brand of drama: Branding it "The Scottish Mafia".

However, as a Hearts fan I can see why he would want to go outside of Scotland and I think that it is a good idea.

Scotland is a small place and the indigenus footballing fraternity is a close-knit clique (and stretches further than just Rangers & Celtic). Everybody knows everybody, I am sure there is a lot of internal politics that goes on and will undoubtedly frustrate the likes of Vlad who obviously doesn't want to tow the "party line".

The more I think about the rationale the more I agree, but I just wish he would stop talking p@sh!

I think you are being a wee bit unfair - in essence you say you agree with him, as I do, but then say you wish he would stop talkin p@sh. I do not think he is here.

I believe any Scottish manager we would have a realistic chance of getting would most probably have eyes on te OF, as do players - you only need to look how many have jumped ship, to the OF, despite the detrimental effect it has on their careers. We only need to look at Riordan, Ritchie, Johnston, Gow amongst many others who rarely had a look in at 1st team level. I also believe tha McGhee is ankling for the Celtic job and knows anohter decent year with 'Well will help him towards it.

At no point did Vlad say they were rubbish, despite the fuss, just that they fail to see beyond the OF - this much is true, I believe.

I disagree here.

He has made a good point ridiculous because he has put a personal spin on it.

If Vlad had said:

"I feel that we should recruit from outside of Scotland because the allure of the Old Firm and the inherent ties to the clique that exists within the existing SFA and indigenous media fraternity makes it incredibly hard for one to operate with complete freedom".

"By bringing in quality fresh blood I believe that HMFC can distance itself from the existing ethos that those teams outside of the Old Firm have a duty to be third and show Rangers and Celtic unmerited respect and reverence."

I believe that this is in essence what he means and for a successful businessman he sure does spout a lot of rubbish. He should stick to straight forward business answers instaed of personalising everything.

The rationale behind recruiting outside of the UK is for me, sound.

Gordon Smith: Look at the guy's career and you will see what The Vladster means...

Jam Tarts 1874

What utter dross!

Please explain why Romanov (who has a significant personal investment in the club) would not want Hearts to be a success? :rolleyes:

I seem to remember a 2nd place finish ahead of one half of the old firm. So how can you say that Romanov was to weak to take on the old firm?

We're doomed!!

frazerDM1112_228x374.jpg

I think you are being a wee bit unfair - in essence you say you agree with him, as I do, but then say you wish he would stop talkin p@sh. I do not think he is here.

I believe any Scottish manager we would have a realistic chance of getting would most probably have eyes on te OF, as do players - you only need to look how many have jumped ship, to the OF, despite the detrimental effect it has on their careers. We only need to look at Riordan, Ritchie, Johnston, Gow amongst many others who rarely had a look in at 1st team level. I also believe tha McGhee is ankling for the Celtic job and knows anohter decent year with 'Well will help him towards it.

At no point did Vlad say they were rubbish, despite the fuss, just that they fail to see beyond the OF - this much is true, I believe.

Undoubtedly...

I believe this is the ultimate reason why McGhee fell through and was the straw that broke Vlad's back in looking outside of Scotland. I reckon they offered McGhee a great package. It was just the lack of guarantees that he wouldn't go a running if the Celtic job came up that scuppered the deal.

Like I say, I do agree with what he says, I just wish that he would depersonalise his responses and stop pretending like we all know what he means - talking pish.

Keep it business Vlad and tell us what you mean instead of leaving us guessing - This thread...

Smith is right. .... It's just yet another example of inane rantings from our pint-sized loony leader.

One of the best managers we have had in the last 30 years or so was Alex MacDonald. Did he have leanings towards one of the OF? Yes .... Did it affect his ability to manage us? No. .... Did he do a great job whilst managing us? Yes ..... Did he have a genuine passion for HMFC as a club? Yes.

Certainly better than any faceless foreigner we will now undoubtedly end up with!

Smith is right. .... It's just yet another example of inane rantings from our pint-sized loony leader.

One of the best managers we have had in the last 30 years or so was Alex MacDonald. Did he have leanings towards one of the OF? Yes .... Did it affect his ability to manage us? No. .... Did he do a great job whilst managing us? Yes ..... Did he have a genuine passion for HMFC as a club? Yes.

Certainly better than any faceless foreigner we will now undoubtedly end up with!

And who are the current employers of Msssieurs MacDonald and Jardine now?

Earning nice retirement money in sinecure posts at Ibrox...

How vocal was Smith when Rangers tapped up Walter while he was still Scotland boss?

Surely that should have had him commenting in the press?

How vocal was Smith when Levein went off on one at Ibrox?

How vocal was Smith when the stories came out about Hibs players meeting Petrie behind the back of one of his members?

Thanks for proving my point even more! ... Both MacDonald & Jardine do not hide their love for Rangers ..... but during their time at Hearts, did they let that fact get in the way of the job they were doing for us? .... No!

Guest JamboRobbo

So they didn't do well for HMFC whilst they were there? Did they have trouble rising above being part of the scottish mafia? Of course not, because it's a ridiculous notion in the first place.

The Mighty Thor
What utter dross!

Please explain why Romanov (who has a significant personal investment in the club) would not want Hearts to be a success? :rolleyes:

I seem to remember a 2nd place finish ahead of one half of the old firm. So how can you say that Romanov was to weak to take on the old firm?

That's a fabulous question. I wouldn't mind hearing an answer from you on that if you wouldn't mind? If everything Romanov does (in his own mind) is geared towards making Hearts a success then why are we failing in every single department to achieve that success. It's even more bizarre given that he is 'bankrolling' it. I look forward to your take on it.

On your second point HOG said Romanov is too weak financially to take on the old firm. A point which has been borne out in the last 24 months.

That's a fabulous question. I wouldn't mind hearing an answer from you on that if you wouldn't mind? If everything Romanov does (in his own mind) is geared towards making Hearts a success then why are we failing in every single department to achieve that success. It's even more bizarre given that he is 'bankrolling' it. I look forward to your take on it.

On your second point HOG said Romanov is too weak financially to take on the old firm. A point which has been borne out in the last 24 months.

Can I also ask how much personnel wealth, as haven?t seen a single bit of evidence that this is the case.

What utter dross!

We're doomed!!

It's blatantly obvious isn't it? Thats why Rangers and Celtic are signing players for 5 and 6 million and we're signing Kaunas rejects for 20p.

The fact that Hearts can't compete with these clubs isn't Romanov's fault, however I think he should have done his homework properly before shooting his mouth of about winning xyz. Clearly he thought winning the SPL would be easy, but it certainly isn't.

I always believed Hearts finishing 2nd was in huge part to Burley's magnificent record before he left, and if you look at what Hearts have done since then that certainly appears to be the case. It was just a one-off. There is no comparison between the club then and now, apart from the fact that the one man trying to f*k everything up is still there.

You say he wants success but i could point you to any number of his decisions which would suggest otherwise. I dont have time to sit here and type them all out, but i'm sure you dont need me to remind you.

Guest Dipped Flake
Outrageous post. HofG has been pointing out the error of Vlads ways for a while, maybe if folk had listened to him..............

HofG doesnt post anti Hearts posts just anti Vlad ones which is totally justified. By the way Vlad did say we would win the Champions League in 5 years. Also I'd be delighted to get a Scottish Manager that wanted to manage either of the old firm one day cos they'd have to be damn good at Hearts to move on. In addition, fruitcake........... wonder if you are one of the people that thought Hearts would win the league last year, just a thought

No he didn't....he said that in 5 years he wanted Hearts to be successful in Europe and the press and hobos jumped on that as wanting to win the champions league

The Mighty Thor
No he didn't....he said that in 5 years he wanted Hearts to be successful in Europe and the press and hobos jumped on that as wanting to win the champions league

Did he not come out with now infamous '3 years should suffice' quote? He comes out with so much rubbish it's hard to remember which is which.

Perhaps someone sharper than me can enlighten us all?

Different times...

The Mighty Thor

Found it. The power of t'internet.

?Our goal has to be champions of Europe. I want us to be at the stage where to do anything else, to come back without the trophy, would be shameful. I?d like to do it quicker but I think we?re looking at three years. Nobody believes us. That?s fine. Three years should suffice.?

Vladimir Romanov, October 2005

Found it. The power of t'internet.

?Our goal has to be champions of Europe. I want us to be at the stage where to do anything else, to come back without the trophy, would be shameful. I?d like to do it quicker but I think we?re looking at three years. Nobody believes us. That?s fine. Three years should suffice.?

Vladimir Romanov, October 2005

I think that must have been one of those ones which we were supposed to take as a joke. Like the one about him being the manager.

Archived