Scottish Mafia (merged threads)

tartofmidlothian

McGhee was almost on the plane when he got an offer he couldn,t refuse, how much more Mafia do you want.:wacko:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see anything in Smiths comments that I don't agree with.

It isn't Scottish managers that got us to eighth place last year, it was Mad Vlad and his ego.

colinmaroon

Groundhog Day!!!!

I agree with you. Romanov wants to challenge the old firm.

There are many on here who would rather Hearts were just a maroon version of hibs, never showing any ambition, never saying anything controversial, never trying to challenge the old firm as long as their egos are intact - that's all that matters. God forbid that certain members of this forum should have to take some stick from hobo workmates! :rolleyes:

Absolute pish.

I want to see Heart of Midlothian FC do their talking on the pitch. I suspect most would agree with me.

Exactly how is VR talking about the OF, corrupt officials and a "Scottish mafia" every few months giving the OF a challenge?

If he wants to give similar interviews after our team is doing some actual challenging then fair enough. But when he responsible for utter mismanagment of the team, then all this talk of bias simply makes him, and in turn, our club* look foolish.

* I say "our club" but...

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Statements like tis only fire up the opposition and annoy referees more

Whats new ?

Same old same old spouting out Vlads mooth

The Real Maroonblood
This is simple to answer.

We don't need VR to inform us of the west coast domination of our game. It's as plain as day.

What we do need is for VR to shut the f@~k up and run the club like a normal person.

Nail on head.

So simple but Romanov is an erse so it won't happen.

He just has excuses after excuses and the naive brigade on Kickback swallow it.

No, you would.

The reason for winning? Misspelling the word 'buffoon'.

hee hee.

On another note, is this the same Alex Smith who spoke at the Hearts young player of the year award recently, and relayed the story of the referees teamtalk (such as remember the Boyne etc) when his Aberdeen team took on Rangers for the league title many years ago (or was he just joking?) either way it wasn't very funny anyway.

Seymour M Hersh
Romanov isn't used to not not being top Dog., after all,,Eastern Europe is a world leader in fairness in Sport.

As is the USA. I give you BALCO! Nice and handy for you I notice.;)

Another dimension to this is insistence on speaking through an translator. I have no idea what Romanov actually said but his translator had three goes at it before he came up with the word 'mafia'. I think he can speak enough English alright; I'm not sure if it is cowardice or arrogance that he refuses to speak it.

CF11JamTart

I genuinely can't recall... but did Smith make any supportive noises when Levein went incandescant at Ibrox?

It strikes me that would be a worthwhile thing for him to speak out about.

He just seems to be taking the Craig Brown approach of keeping everything nice and incontroversial, and towing the "Establishment" line.

It's a funny old world.

When Rodney talked about conspiricies at the AGM I was all ready to get my pitchfork to join in the lynching of the little runt.

When Vlad talks about conspiricies I can't help thinking "You tell them Vladmaister":confused:

i am UTTERLY disgusted with this comment.

ANYONE who can say "hes right" hasnt a clue

i have done 11 of the coaching courses, my next 1 is uefa D licence

i have done my badges with people like Owen Coyle, Stevie Fulton, Gareth Evens...i could go on. all cracking coaches.

look around the UK, how many good scottish managers there are, lots.

scotland are in the top 20 ranked in the world, partly due to the way we coach, or the coaches are coached.

shocking thing to say against the way we coach in this country.

coaches talk to each other, does not make them maffia

final straw for me

scott_jambo

i have done my badges with people like Owen Coyle, Stevie Fulton, Gareth Evens...i could go on. all cracking coaches.

scotland are in the top 20 ranked in the world, partly due to the way we coach, or the coaches are coached.

final straw for me

This is your final straw? :wacko:

I am not disgusted.

VR is playing games with the press, he is not having a go at you or Fulton or Coyle.

I hope he is having a go at that twonk Evans though.

final straw for me

"Cheese baguettes"!

Ryan Gosling

3.(often lowercasethinsp.png) any small powerful or influential group in an organization or field; clique.

The fact that you think of 'Cosa Nostra', The Godfather and The Sopranos shows a lack of understanding on your part, not Romanov's.

Going to walk out on Hearts like the team you used to run as well then?

:P

Nucky Thompson

final straw for me

Who cares what an unwashed fan thinks:rolleyes: Butt out pal:cool:

mickmaroon

Did you used to run that bar in Boston that was on the telly? :confused:

We_are_the_Hearts

final straw for me

Think you are missing his point. Shut the door on yer way out Celtic boy, you won't be missed:o

final straw for me

he's right! :P

While I say the above in jest part of me agrees with with what he has said. For many coaches the SPL/SFL presents a job for life irrespective of success. It only takes a moderate level of achievement to be considered a success e.g. 3rd, Top 6 or a cup final. Fail at one club and there will be a job on offer at another. Have a shot at England, fail and come back to the SPL with your tail between your legs.

The league is pretty insestuous with managers just moving from one club to another.

Vlad got everyone on the Rollercoaster to begin with because his approach and ambition was a breath of fresh air in a stale, ambitionless league. Yes that Rollecoaster went off the rails, however it highlighted what can be achieved with a modicum of ambition and investment.

Pete Seeger

final straw for me

Thought you followed the Mhanks anyway?

Dr. Bapswent

final straw for me

Dont over react.

As Bigh says, he's playing with the media. Its games.

Im sure he doesn think ALL scottish coaches are rotten, he just uses this as a way to highlight his point.

The fact that you have reacted, shows he got his message out their.

Jamie_the_Jambo

How many coaches go to Celtic and Rangers and set there teams out for a draw. How many coaches think their team cannae win at these grounds and are defeated befor ethey get there?

I think thats what Vlad was talking about.

final straw for me

Wind up merchant Bawjaws in pretending to be a Hearts fan shocker.

I thought that was against the rules.

Nucky Thompson
final straw for me

He does:cool: But he seems to think his opinion about Hearts counts because he ran a pub team in Gorgie:rolleyes:

Ryan Gosling
He does:cool: But he seems to think his opinion about Hearts counts because he ran a pub team in Gorgie:rolleyes:

That he walked out on.

I think Vlad is on the wind up, partially becuse he just released a scottish coach,partly because he loves to 'dig at' the ugly sisters any chance he gets.

I also think he is meaning the fear factor some coaches have inbred about going to glasgow for a win.

It is similiar to his dig at agents in his early days,calling them parasites etc, then when an agent comes calling he is immediately on the back foot.

If any Celtic (or Rangers) fans dont like it.....tough!!

Commander Harris

final straw for me

Romanov didn't say anything about the quality of Scottish coaches so I don't see why you've mentioned that in your post.

I wouldn't get personally offended either, I'm pretty sure he was speaking about coaches in the top flight specifically, who he seems to see as part of a self perpetuating "old boys" network not dissimilar to the blazer brigade that take care of things away from the pitch/training field.

lawriejambo

final straw for me

Think he's hit a nerve with you..

What level have you reached after 11 courses..

Truth hurts..

Guest gorgie kev

final straw for me

Bheat it the ya bheast:p

rossmaroon
This is your final straw? :wacko:

As I said on another thread, part of the problem is down to your interpretation of the word mafia. Take away the quasi gangster associations and substitute brotherhood and you are not far wrong with the way things work in Scotland. We have a self-protecting hegemony where the same characters are in circulation for as long as they wish to be: Craig Brown will be part of the package that goes with Billy Davis; Billy Brown will never be far away from JJ,etc.

This parochialism is rife in Scottish football whether you have your certificates or not.

As I said on another thread, part of the problem is down to your interpretation of the word mafia. Take away the quasi gangster associations and substitute brotherhood and you are not far wrong with the way things work in Scotland. We have a self-protecting hegemony where the same characters are in circulation for as long as they wish to be: Craig Brown will be part of the package that goes with Billy Davis; Billy Brown will never be far away from JJ,etc.

This parochialism is rife in Scottish football whether you have your certificates or not.

Exactly.

Don't they call themselves the "Largs mafia"?

gordon the jambo
I agree with Smith, VR is a pint sized pr*cK. He would win the world's biggest bafoon competition hands down. We will end up in the 1st division.

so you will ya hobo cnt

alwaysthereinspirit

I've thought long and hard about Mad Vlads latest statements and agree with him to a point. No Scottish home grown manager is going to come to Hearts, do well and then turn down any of the OF teams or England to stay with Hearts.

Mad makes sense but spoils it for himself by using words like mafia, words that our media cant wait to jump all over.

He needs to learn to shut the f@#$ up.

gordon the jambo
I've thought long and hard about Mad Vlads latest statements and agree with him to a point. No Scottish home grown manager is going to come to Hearts, do well and then turn down any of the OF teams or England to stay with Hearts.

Mad makes sense but spoils it for himself by using words like mafia, words that our media cant wait to jump all over.

He needs to learn to shut the f@#$ up.

no it has got to be said to break those mafioso bassas:wacko:

crazy_jambo_2006

Agreed. I wish Vlad would shut up. Am fed up of all the crap. Also if he does speak, could he speak in English? If he did that, things wouldn't be lost in translation. We rely on an interpreter's interpretation (of what VR says). Interpreting isn't an easy job. Much as I dislike VR (+I can't stand him), some of his crazy comments could be misinterpreted. As a banker, he should be able to speak English. But tbh, I'd rather he stopped giving the media a stick to beat us all with.

This is simple to answer.

We don't need VR to inform us of the west coast domination of our game. It's as plain as day.

What we do need is for VR to shut the f@~k up and run the club like a normal person.

Vlad should have worded it better.

The whole league structure, from the 4 games to the biased referees are set up old firm dominance.

Mind you it happens all over europe, it is very hard to break a dulopoly(sp)

Unless like chelsea you are willing to throw a lot of cash at it.

I also heard there was only one dominant mafia team in Lithuania lol ?

Ryan Gosling
Exactly.

Don't they call themselves the "Largs mafia"?

Ironically Alex Smith is one of the men behind that name.

mickmaroon
Open your eyes. Has nobody on here heard of FC Barcelona and Real Madrid or have any idea what Marca is?

Okay, lets put it this way. We don't have a problem here because Spain has Marca just as we have the Ugly Sisters? Just the same? Nope.

Spain - 77 Championships, 49 won by Real or Barca, i.e. 62%

Scotland - 111 Championships, 93 won by the Blue or Green Huns, i.e. 84%

In Scotland the OF have taken every championship since Aberdeen in '84/85 (that's 23 in a row. 23).

In the same period Real/Barca have shared 19 of 23 La Liga titles - dominant, for sure, but - every now again a Deportivo or Valencia has a real chance of winning the title.

In the main cup competition 'Marca' have won 41 out of 108, i.e. 38%

The Old Firm have taken 66 out of 112 Scottish Cups - that's 59%.

In the last decade the OF have taken the Scottish Cup nine times (I don't need to tell you who broke that stranglehold :) ). Over the same period neither Barca nor Real have won the Copa del Rey.

I don't think there is another 'historic' footballing nation in which just two clubs dominate to such a perverse extent - except maybe Uruguay ...

I think that qualifies as a 'mafia' like stranglehold over our game ...

I have got home after a lengthy shift at work, I have just read BBC Sport Scotlands Website and I have one thing to say:

WELL SAID ALEX SMITH. SPOT ON MATE.

I have got home after a lengthy shift at work, I have just read BBC Sport Scotlands Website and I have one thing to say:

WELL SAID ALEX SMITH. SPOT ON MATE.

Whats the difference between the Largs Mafia and the Scottish Mafia? Thats what Smith has been quoted in the past, reffering to the managers who attend largs convention.

Vlad said it though...so we must act now and get rid.

Numerous other threads to spout this on too!

ps: smiths an arse.

Sheriff Fatman
WANTED: young, energetic manager who has cut his teeth in the lower divisions. Members of the Largs mafia need not apply.

Eddie Thompson, the new owner of Dundee United, did not use these precise words to describe the man he wants to replace Alex Smith at Tannadice.

Sunday Herald 2002

The current ‘capo di tutti capi’ (‘boss of all the bosses’, for those of you who don’t know your Godfather) is Jim Sinclair, the SFA’s head of football development.

The Times 2006

Some have criticised Scotland's coaching base for breeding a "Largs Mafia" without membership of which you would never fill a manager's seat in Scotland.

BBC Sport 2001

"There was always sneering about the 'Largs mafia'. It was supposedly their fault Scotland didn't do better.

Scotland on Sunday, March 2008

Why didn't Alex Smith get his knickers in a twist and rush to a press conference to decry all those mafia insinuations.

Archived