Jump to content

Daniel Stendel


Arthur Morgan

Recommended Posts

John Findlay

They drew 1-1 with Amiens. So I guess he is getting the bullet.

 

We can hold a wake for poor Bongo.

Edited by John Findlay
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Bongo 1874

    127

  • sadj

    43

  • Alex Kintner

    41

  • ToqueJambo

    39

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They drew 1-1 with Amiens. So I guess he is getting the bullet.

 

Rather off topic but the Amiens raid (operation Jericho) is one of the best derring do tales of WWII. Even now the exact reasons behind it are up for debate.

 

It was also filmed:

 

 

Anyhow back to the topic...

 

Whose getting blamed for Stendel not getting a winning result tonight? Owner, Chairman, Ann Budge, Robbie Neilson, Joe Savage, Souttars injury, Nancy players (depending on age) Covid, the SPFL, the Scottish press...

 

Edited by been here before
Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to the numerous youtube links giving examples of why it was wrong for Nancy to let him go.

 

He’s a proven dud and no amount of ramblings will ever be able to prove otherwise 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo

11 months

16 months

7 months

4 months

 

That's quite the career. But who can ever forget the time he led Barnsley to a 1-0 win over Southend against all the odds.

 

More importantly, what about that time Robbie Neilson got fired by MK Don's? That was really failure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

 

pardon my french but that reads to me like he has been punted already?

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, hmfc4life1991 said:

Drew 1-1 despite playing against 9 men for the whole 2nd half. 


That’s surely not the manager’s fault! 
 

 

 

 

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

::troll::

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hmfc4life1991 said:

Drew 1-1 despite playing against 9 men for the whole 2nd half. Seemed a disaster job for him 

It’s very hard to play against 9 men as they’ll pack the defence and stop the high German press which is always so infallibly efficient. 
 

Or something like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay

A certain poster will be easy to spot at Tynecastle today. He will be the one with Black armbands around both arms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

 

 

 

Chris Houghton only got seven games at Forest this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
10 hours ago, Longbaws said:

 

 

 

Au revoir Daniel

 

FTH

#ASNL The decision has been taken to dismiss Daniel Stendel and his staff. Benoît Pedretti will act as interim head of the professional team pending the appointment of a new coach

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo

No surprise. Gegenpress my arse. 

 

One fluke season with Barnsley but proven to be a gantin manager. 

 

Sadly we are one of the clubs to suffer through his incompetence and his appointment was a huge mistake.

 

All this right man at the wrong time garbage was utterly pathetic. 

 

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but that is totally irrelevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two duff stints in a row on his CV now. Shame, seemed like a positive guy. Wish him well if/when he gets another job as a manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm certainly not going to put the boot in.

 

Most of us here enjoyed the way he set the team up, the style he tried to play, and the results he got against Rangers and Hibs in particular. 

 

Who knows how it would've worked out longer term? I still think I seen enough signs of promise in those big games to think if we'd stayed up, he'd have done well for us with a fit, young, hungry squad.

 

We are where we are now. I remain unconvinced Robbie is the answer either, but the league table doesn't lie. We're in a better spot now than we were in in March 2020, and that has to be down to the managers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stendelnator
10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What's this guy saying?

 

 

Screenshot_20210925-001750_Twitter.jpg

He’s saying they should never have appointed someone who didn’t even take training and went home before an Edinburgh derby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
King prawn
1 hour ago, blairdin said:

I'm certainly not going to put the boot in.

 

Most of us here enjoyed the way he set the team up, the style he tried to play, and the results he got against Rangers and Hibs in particular. 

 

Who knows how it would've worked out longer term? I still think I seen enough signs of promise in those big games to think if we'd stayed up, he'd have done well for us with a fit, young, hungry squad.

 

We are where we are now. I remain unconvinced Robbie is the answer either, but the league table doesn't lie. We're in a better spot now than we were in in March 2020, and that has to be down to the managers.

The problem is we didn't, in part due to the crap results under him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick Sanchez
48 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

He’s saying they should never have appointed someone who didn’t even take training and went home before an Edinburgh derby. 

 

Aaahhh, makes sense now. The guy knows his stuff.

 

Cheers 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
jock _turd
5 minutes ago, pointon said:

Will be lucky to get another gig

 

As a football manager I would say unemployable now but to be fair to the man I am sure there will be managers who actually have lower win ratios . His tenures at Hearts and Nancy have destroyed what was a decent win and GD ratio statistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmerTweedy
On 23/09/2021 at 18:20, ToqueJambo said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on. Let's not rush to appoint a permanent manager mid-season again. Sack the incumbent by all means if he's leading us down the wrong path but let a coach or player-manager take over or bring in a JJ or Robbo as caretaker, and use the time to find the right person and give them a pre-season, their own team, etc to set us up for the new season.

 

It didn't work when we were flying high in 2nd place and it didn't work when we were near the bottom of the table.

Nope, I don't agree at all. Levein was sacked at the end of October and Stendel appointed in early December. He had more than enough time to get the team in some sort of shape but made a complete and utter mess of it. An interim appointment would have been just as likely to end in disaster, with us limping along, completely directionless, through the season.  What was needed was to make the right appointment. Stendel was clueless and so was Cathro. Neither of them failed because they were appointed mid-season, they failed because they were useless at management. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The way he had the team set-up was really naive IMO - a complete gift to the opposition. Much of the positivity about him was really about fans who were just happy that Levein had gone. The signings that he made were generally very poor. I wish him well, but the reality is we were going nowhere with him in charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex Kintner
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

A certain poster will be easy to spot at Tynecastle today. He will be the one with Black armbands around both arms.


Will go nicely with the one he wears over his eyes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

This thread will be quiet as the Nancy forums will have a new member called Bongeau to deal with. 

 

He'll be raging as they've started calling him le ching alteady

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:


That’s surely not the manager’s fault! 
 

 

 

 

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

::troll::

 

 

 

 

 

Was just thinking that , waiting to hear again how its not his fault they couldn’t beat 10 last week and 9 this week being the owners fault. Shame as hes a likeable guy but surely needs to reign in his style a bit

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

This thread will be quiet as the Nancy forums will have a new member called Bongeau to deal with. 

 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

He'll be raging as they've started calling him le ching alteady

Brilliant lads 🤣 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stirlo said:

The way he had the team set-up was really naive IMO - a complete gift to the opposition. Much of the positivity about him was really about fans who were just happy that Levein had gone. The signings that he made were generally very poor. I wish him well, but the reality is we were going nowhere with him in charge.

 

Stendel had his faults but his vision of what he wanted to do no-one was complaining about at the time. The atmosphere at Tynecastle was great as his enthusiasm for the game fired through to the stands but unfortunately for him, he took over 3 and a half years of downward spiral and a team that consisted of a few players in their comfort zone who didn't give a hoot if they won or not. The likes of Berra who went bleating to the press, Mulraney who showed no respect for his manager, Whelan who was only there to keep himself fit and a few others. He turned Clare around and even Bozanic amongst others. He signed four players, two looked good and two didn't. Boyce and Sibbick being decent, Avdijaj and Langer not. He was also stuck with the previous manager's other poor signings like Damour, McLean and Wighton etc., he was on a hiding to nothing. Wish him no harm, it didn't work out due to various things and we move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
stevie1874

Feel a bit sorry for the guy he’s came into two clubs that are in a mess with both not really willing to back him 100 % . I suppose their isn’t many job you get as a football manager where you can settle into the job with the team ticking over. Anyway best of luck to the guy wherever he ends up, and hopefully the endless arguing over him will now end 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time you read anything about him people talk about he ‘wants’ his team to play, and the type of football he ‘tries’ to get them playing. 
Almost anyone on here if they were in charge of a team would ‘want’ them to play a certain way and ‘try’ to play that system.  It that doesn’t mean we could manage to make it happen, and I feel he’s the same. Lots of great ideas but doesn’t actually make it happen. 

Edited by Tazio
Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Nope, I don't agree at all. Levein was sacked at the end of October and Stendel appointed in early December. He had more than enough time to get the team in some sort of shape but made a complete and utter mess of it. An interim appointment would have been just as likely to end in disaster, with us limping along, completely directionless, through the season.  What was needed was to make the right appointment. Stendel was clueless and so was Cathro. Neither of them failed because they were appointed mid-season, they failed because they were useless at management. 

 

Maybe I phrased it badly. Making a risky or experimental permanent appointment mid season is not a good idea - both Cathro and Stendel were risky for different reasons. Stendel had a good amount of time and a transfer window and Cathro  just messed with things for no reason. I thought I'd like to see Stendel back - definitely not now. A good example of a manager who has one good season but can't replicate it, probably helped by German managers and gegenpresse being "in vogue' when we appointed him.

 

Anyhow we have a good attack minded manager now who knows how he wants us to play, can sign players to play that way and can communicate what he wants to the players. Today was as good a team performance as you'll see from us - not a single poor performance. So many positives all over the park and an excellent win in what we were told was a "must win" game. Can't wait to see how this team does when all the players are up to speed fitness wise and have played together more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

 

Stendel had his faults but his vision of what he wanted to do no-one was complaining about at the time. The atmosphere at Tynecastle was great as his enthusiasm for the game fired through to the stands but unfortunately for him, he took over 3 and a half years of downward spiral and a team that consisted of a few players in their comfort zone who didn't give a hoot if they won or not. The likes of Berra who went bleating to the press, Mulraney who showed no respect for his manager, Whelan who was only there to keep himself fit and a few others. He turned Clare around and even Bozanic amongst others. He signed four players, two looked good and two didn't. Boyce and Sibbick being decent, Avdijaj and Langer not. He was also stuck with the previous manager's other poor signings like Damour, McLean and Wighton etc., he was on a hiding to nothing. Wish him no harm, it didn't work out due to various things and we move on. 

 

I agree he inherited a situation of a bloated squad of players who either weren't motivated or were just downright rubbish.

He also had to work on his own for the first month or so, but even given these difficult circumstances I still think there was more than enough quality in the squad to get out of the relegation zone.

He should have been more pragmatic in changing the style of play, what he did took time and there were signs of improvement, but time wasn't a luxury he had.

 

When he came in he should've told the squad it was a fresh start, they all had the chance to impress, and he was excited with the talent he had at his disposal. Anything to get them motivated, raise their confidence, and get the new manager bounce.

Instead he criticised the senior players after a couple of games, and publicly said he wanted new players in but would have to ship some out first. Honesty isn't always the best policy.

 

If he's able to get another job in football now, you'd imagine it's going to be at a very modest level.

That said, in an interview earlier this year he didn't rule out another crack at the Hearts job...  :shocked666: 

 

 

 

Edited by Beni
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beni said:

 

I agree he inherited a situation of a bloated squad of players who either weren't motivated or were just downright rubbish.

He also had to work on his own for the first month or so, but even given these difficult circumstances I still think there was more than enough quality in the squad to get out of the relegation zone.

He should have been more pragmatic in changing the style of play, what he did took time and there were signs of improvement, but time wasn't a luxury he had.

 

When he came in he should've told the squad it was a fresh start, they all had the chance to impress, and he was excited with the talent he had at his disposal. Anything to get them motivated, raise their confidence, and get the new manager bounce.

Instead he criticised the senior players after a couple of games, and publicly said he wanted new players in but would have to ship some out first. Honesty isn't always the best policy.

 

If he's able to get another job in football now, you'd imagine it's going to be at a very modest level.

That said, in an interview earlier this year he didn't rule out another crack at the Hearts job...  :shocked666: 

 

 

 

 

All i remember after a few weeks in the job he said he was shocked at the condition of the players for a professional football club. There was maybe something in that. Under Levein the injury situation was ridiculous and always a mystery as to why. Perhaps it was the way they were coached, who knows. But i do remember a mid-week game (under levein) where we were at home against Dundee and we were second to every loose ball. That was happening in a lot of games over a longer period where we ran out of steam with at least 20 minutes to go. Some players were up for how Stendel wanted to go about things, others pretty-much downed tools. I still think there was a wee bit of interference and bad-mouthing behind the scenes with Levein  hanging around like a bad smell. Stendel was starting to reduce the dead wood but it was always going to be at least 18 months for him to get his own squad together and, with some players on longer contracts, he was limited to what he could do straight away. Did he make mistakes? Yes, and for me not sorting out the defence in that January transfer window was the main one. He was working with a squad of players who were signed to play in a certain style and a lot couldn't or wouldn't adapt. Shame really. 

As for him returning....i can't see it. Perhaps he feels frustrated and has unfinished business, something he would want to prove to his doubters. If he was to return to Scotland though, i doubt it would be at Hearts, not now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

 

All i remember after a few weeks in the job he said he was shocked at the condition of the players for a professional football club. There was maybe something in that. Under Levein the injury situation was ridiculous and always a mystery as to why. Perhaps it was the way they were coached, who knows. But i do remember a mid-week game (under levein) where we were at home against Dundee and we were second to every loose ball. That was happening in a lot of games over a longer period where we ran out of steam with at least 20 minutes to go. Some players were up for how Stendel wanted to go about things, others pretty-much downed tools. I still think there was a wee bit of interference and bad-mouthing behind the scenes with Levein  hanging around like a bad smell. Stendel was starting to reduce the dead wood but it was always going to be at least 18 months for him to get his own squad together and, with some players on longer contracts, he was limited to what he could do straight away. Did he make mistakes? Yes, and for me not sorting out the defence in that January transfer window was the main one. He was working with a squad of players who were signed to play in a certain style and a lot couldn't or wouldn't adapt. Shame really. 

As for him returning....i can't see it. Perhaps he feels frustrated and has unfinished business, something he would want to prove to his doubters. If he was to return to Scotland though, i doubt it would be at Hearts, not now.

 

Dunfermline I would think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davemclaren said:

Dunfermline I would think. 

 

Aye, that was my thinking. A Dunfermline/Raith/Falkirk, even Hamilton-type club someday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex Kintner
On 26/09/2021 at 13:36, davemclaren said:

Dunfermline I would think. 


Really can’t see him lowering himself to that level.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And by “him” I mean the Dunfermline chairman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stendel was a very likeable chap, in maybe in another period, could have been good for us. But unfortunately it never worked out and that's that, end of.

 

I always found his appointment at Nancy utterly bizarre. Given that he's a manager who likes to play an attacking, high press style, I really never thought the French 2nd division was right for him. Reckon he needs to go back to the German lower leagues and rebuild.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Maybe he would make a good assistant manager. 

 

Maybe Robbie could take him on, be a good balance, save Bob putting the cones out and Danny can learn from a good manager. 

 

:jambobanana:

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
56 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:


Really can’t see him lowering himself to that level.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And by “him” I mean the Dunfermline chairman.

They are owned by Germans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hearts1975

There must be something in the air that is suggestive that managers can be at clubs and have good and bad times without necessarily being a shite or good manager 

 

DS in League 1 season in England in 2018/2019 played 46 matches in the league. Lost 7, drew 13 and won 26 

 

What I can’t get my head around is that they lost 39 goals, over 46 games - less than a goal a game. Best defence in the league and this was a team he inherited 

 

This probably re emphasises the difficulties and negative results with Daniel playing Pereira as to lose less than a goal a game over 46 games suggests that the keeper and defence were on top form - but he was still gegenpressing down there 🤷‍♂️

 

Look at what happened with RN at MK Dons, over the full season, and yet look at how he has us playing now, riding high at the summit, chasing down the Orcs inclusive of the talented and hungry squad that he has built. 
 

It’s all went horribly pearshaped for DS since he left us. It doesn’t give me any pleasure at all seeing what has happened to him.    
 

I guess sometimes with managers it’s not a case of them just either being good or shite and more a case of them at different points in their career where they make good decisions and bad decisions and also how club circumstances, at the particular time, influence their decisions - good and bad. 
 

Hope he comes back and gets himself another gig soon although this is going to make it really difficult for him to probably get the gig he wants.
 

He was a good guy - most definitely wanted the best for us and gave up his wage to try and help the club when times were bleak. He loved the passion from the stands and as much as there were bad times I’ll remember the good times - especially fester road. Absolutely rag dolled the mutants that particular evening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

In his last 35 league games as a manager he has won 2 games. 


😂😂😂

 

Still can’t all have been his fault. I blame the groundsmen who cut the grass the wrong way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
5 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

There must be something in the air that is suggestive that managers can be at clubs and have good and bad times without necessarily being a shite or good manager 

 

DS in League 1 season in England in 2018/2019 played 46 matches in the league. Lost 7, drew 13 and won 26 

 

What I can’t get my head around is that they lost 39 goals, over 46 games - less than a goal a game. Best defence in the league and this was a team he inherited 

 

This probably re emphasises the difficulties and negative results with Daniel playing Pereira as to lose less than a goal a game over 46 games suggests that the keeper and defence were on top form - but he was still gegenpressing down there 🤷‍♂️

 

Look at what happened with RN at MK Dons, over the full season, and yet look at how he has us playing now, riding high at the summit, chasing down the Orcs inclusive of the talented and hungry squad that he has built. 
 

It’s all went horribly pearshaped for DS since he left us. It doesn’t give me any pleasure at all seeing what has happened to him.    
 

I guess sometimes with managers it’s not a case of them just either being good or shite and more a case of them at different points in their career where they make good decisions and bad decisions and also how club circumstances, at the particular time, influence their decisions - good and bad. 
 

Hope he comes back and gets himself another gig soon although this is going to make it really difficult for him to probably get the gig he wants.
 

He was a good guy - most definitely wanted the best for us and gave up his wage to try and help the club when times were bleak. He loved the passion from the stands and as much as there were bad times I’ll remember the good times - especially fester road. Absolutely rag dolled the mutants that particular evening. 

 

100%

Fair post. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
No Idle Talk

I really loved the Daniel Stendel song. But my favourite line was 'Stendel's got us playing HEARTS ARE BACK!'. 

 

The whole emotion of Hearts being BACK is great. And I feel like we really are back. It's a great feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...