• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wattie exploited

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• TheBigO

He's too good for playing alongside the likes of Halliday, Haring, etc.  Joe Savage needs to uncover more of these hidden talents.

If Devlin is at the same standard as Beni, or even close, then we have a lot to look forward to. Beni is a Rolls Royce of a player - cruises through the game, almost effortless. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Pagey said:

If Devlin is at the same standard as Beni, or even close, then we have a lot to look forward to. Beni is a Rolls Royce of a player - cruises through the game, almost effortless. 

That’s unlikely unfortunately but hopefully he will add energy to our midfield and get stick into ***** like Brown.

8 hours ago, Barack said:

We are beneath his magnificence. 

I agree he's a fantastic player. But Hearts are beneath no one.

5 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

He's too good for us tbh, enjoy him whilst we can.

I just think the quality of late has been rotten, if we sign on a par with Beni, then the team becomes what Hearts should be at.

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Miss Diane says :yas: 

Have to be of a certain vintage Morgan to appreciate that.

ah mind ma maw telt me about Beni & Miss Doi-aan :P

A_A wehatethehibs
6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I don’t think that at all. That statement denigrates the club

Why is a player either, not good enough for us, or too good for us. What happened to, good enough for us. Because that’s what he is for me, good enough for this great club. The type of player I want on the pitch here. 

He has played 4 games for us. Got off to a very good start to his pro career but it’s about maintaining it. He is just establishing himself as a pro. I think a good 50-100 games for us will be his aim, a move will take care of

itself.

He will play every single game here which is hugely important for him having only played reserves football. If a championship club offered to buy him in January it would be a bad move for him even if the wage was a bit higher. Because he wouldn’t be a starter. He has already been to Wigan and Derby County. Didn’t play. That’s why he has committed to 3 years here. It’s a really good fit of player for the club IMO, not too good for us but bang on the level of what we need to get ourselves up from where we were last season into the mix with Aberdeen and Hibs and he proved that yesterday. 3 or 4 more like him and we would pull ahead of them 

9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Ginnelly isn’t even halfway close to being anyway near a spectacular player.

he's the first player we've had for a while who is willing to try beat his man (or a few) - to either shoot or cross. He gives us something different.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Imagine there will be a release clause built in here, but a 3 year deal, and to be fair to the boy, I imagine he will be simply enjoying a home he is fitting into for the first time in his career. I think we can enjoy him for a while yet, he's not leaving this season I wouldn't imagine! 

If you discover a decent player, you know they arent staying forever, its then getting the right deal and using the money to build and get the next one in, until we get 90 million guaranteed for finishing bottom of the League and a balloon payment to play at Morton the next season, thats the way it is

I keep thinking he won’t get the ball or he’s about to lose it but he keeps proving my fears wrong.  A great signing so far. 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Why is a player either, not good enough for us, or too good for us. What happened to, good enough for us. Because that’s what he is for me, good enough for this great club. The type of player I want on the pitch here. 

He has played 4 games for us. Got off to a very good start to his pro career but it’s about maintaining it. He is just establishing himself as a pro. I think a good 50-100 games for us will be his aim, a move will take care of

itself.

He will play every single game here which is hugely important for him having only played reserves football. If a championship club offered to buy him in January it would be a bad move for him even if the wage was a bit higher. Because he wouldn’t be a starter. He has already been to Wigan and Derby County. Didn’t play. That’s why he has committed to 3 years here. It’s a really good fit of player for the club IMO, not too good for us but bang on the level of what we need to get ourselves up from where we were last season into the mix with Aberdeen and Hibs and he proved that yesterday. 3 or 4 more like him and we would pull ahead of them 

Yeah, I actually thinks it speaks volumes for him, as a player, that he signed for 3 years. He's clearly a step up from what we've signed over the last few seasons. I don't doubt he could have gone elsewhere in England for more money, but he needs games - and credit to him for opting for this route. 2 or 3 more like him (with his attitude) and we'll be sorted. Not only that, if we do well this season, he'll also get European experience.

Berra than you
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I keep thinking he won’t get the ball or he’s about to lose it but he keeps proving my fears wrong.  A great signing so far. 

This. Don't think I've seen him give the ball away yet or misplace a pass. He often makes the easy pass but can also spot an opening which is something we have lacked in there for a while. My only criticism of him so far is he can hold onto the ball a little too long, but I'm sure that will change when he's more familiar with teammates etc. Certainly looks a cracking find.

The more I see him the more I'm convinced that he actually has Inspector Gadget style extendable legs.

He doesn't just win 50/50 tackles, he wins the 40/60 or even the 30/70 ones too.

RustyRightPeg
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Imagine there will be a release clause built in here, but a 3 year deal, and to be fair to the boy, I imagine he will be simply enjoying a home he is fitting into for the first time in his career. I think we can enjoy him for a while yet, he's not leaving this season I wouldn't imagine! 

If you discover a decent player, you know they arent staying forever, its then getting the right deal and using the money to build and get the next one in, until we get 90 million guaranteed for finishing bottom of the League and a balloon payment to play at Morton the next season, thats the way it is

hopefully we have the same effect on him as we have Ginneley in that we make him rediscover his love of the game. 

He’s already played more minutes for us in 4 games than he did for the whole of last season going by the info I’ve found which is remarkable. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

hopefully we have the same effect on him as we have Ginneley in that we make him rediscover his love of the game. 

He’s already played more minutes for us in 4 games than he did for the whole of last season going by the info I’ve found which is remarkable. 

Just mentioned on another thread, thought he ran out of petrol late on. I think by the time the derby comes about we will be in a better place squad wise, fitness wise too, looked a bit of a problem to me yesterday as a group, and we haven't quite gelled. When all of these things come together, confident they will his value is going to be enormous. Bees knees the lad

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just mentioned on another thread, thought he ran out of petrol late on. I think by the time the derby comes about we will be in a better place squad wise, fitness wise too, looked a bit of a problem to me yesterday as a group, and we haven't quite gelled. When all of these things come together, confident they will his value is going to be enormous. Bees knees the lad

My mate made that point yesterday too, if you came into that game with no knowledge on who’d played in Azerbaijan on Thursday night you’d have thought it was us. We ran out of steam with 20 mins to go.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

My mate made that point yesterday too, if you came into that game with no knowledge on who’d played in Azerbaijan on Thursday night you’d have thought it was us. We ran out of steam with 20 mins to go.  

Think I said in the match thread I remember a game against a decent United side years ago, Goodwillie I think was really in the form of his life, same thing happened. We had the better of the game, 1 up and then faded and drew 1-1

We have had a weird mix of games, lower league teams x4, Celtic x2, and St Mirren being the only game not at the polar opposite. Perhaps they have just gelled and been battle hardened more than us, not sure, just felt we were first to everything most of the time up to their goal, they have had the lift, the adrenalin, we had it sucked out.

Be interesting to see how that pans out, United are a very fit team, led to believe, going to be another day of hard work ahead, but a run of these games now are good for us

4 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

he's the first player we've had for a while who is willing to try beat his man (or a few) - to either shoot or cross. He gives us something different.

‘Trying’ does not make him spectacular.

6 hours ago, jamboozy said:

We are at a crossroads 

Hectormasson
13 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Ginnelly isn’t even halfway close to being anyway near a spectacular player.

Totally agree here,  

alwaysthereinspirit
12 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

What’s weird is that we did manage to get him. He’s very good, obviously. And was good enough for Everton at a young age so how did so many other teams, especially championship teams miss this? I hope we have him at least until the window of Jan 2023. 

alex young hero

His ability to make a tackle win the ball then hold on to it until he can make a pass is outstanding and he does it time and time again ,simply outstanding.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, Beni said:

The more I see him the more I'm convinced that he actually has Inspector Gadget style extendable legs.

He doesn't just win 50/50 tackles, he wins the 40/60 or even the 30/70 ones too.

A few times yesterday he was actually on the ground but still managed to get his foot on the ball to win it.

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not seen Beni play yet, other than on TV, but your comment reminds of how I used to feel watching Stevie Fulton: at the last split-second, he'd often just manage to stretch out a leg to nick the ball, or - when an opponent was seemingly right on top of him - he'd casually just turn away from them and take the ball safely away. They're obviously very different players, but both have / had superb awareness of what and who are around them and great footballing instincts and intelligence. Great to see.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

On the fitness point, folk need to remember we are a promoted side as well and what that means. So it’s not necessarily general fitness training wise but it’s match fitness, and the step up in intensity level that our players are adapting to. For Baningeme he is going through a different adaptation. 

It’s easy to think all the players should just handle it fine, but if you think back to the games last season, there was an absolute gulf between the intensity of them games vs what Aberdeen and Celtic brought to Tynecastle, and St mirren were very hard working as well. These 3 games were a bit of a baptism of fire for some of our players who’ve not played a game at that level of physical demands for nearly 18 months or in Souttars case even longer. Which makes the 7 points from 9 really excellent to be honest (now that I’ve got over the seethe at how we shrunk after 1-0 up yesterday) 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

On the fitness point, folk need to remember we are a promoted side as well and what that means. So it’s not necessarily general fitness training wise but it’s match fitness, and the step up in intensity level that our players are adapting to. For Baningeme he is going through a different adaptation. 

It’s easy to think all the players should just handle it fine, but if you think back to the games last season, there was an absolute gulf between the intensity of them games vs what Aberdeen and Celtic brought to Tynecastle, and St mirren were very hard working as well. These 3 games were a bit of a baptism of fire for some of our players who’ve not played a game at that level of physical demands for nearly 18 months or in Souttars case even longer. Which makes the 7 points from 9 really excellent to be honest (now that I’ve got over the seethe at how we shrunk after 1-0 up yesterday) 

Totally agree. I also made the point, total contrast in matches bar St Mirren before yesterday, 4 jogging matches in the LC, 2 full on against Celtic. Still, dont think it was hard to spot, and it will need work.

Beningime, even in his first game, came across (to me) as a player that you just know won't be rushed on the ball and if he is, he'll deal with it fairly comfortably. Yesterday against Aberdeen i felt very confident he would do the right thing when under pressure, and he did. Very good player, has a quick mind-set but to see the best of that, he needs one or two better players around him. I doubt he will see out his contract at Hearts and if he does become a wanted man then, we could get a few quid for him, particularly if some Premier team from down south fancied him. He's one of those......enjoy him while he's here type players.

Overall, the squad is fairly decent but still we are lacking a replacement for Berra and Popescu isn't fancied. I believe this is vital to get sorted but for some reason we keep getting dragged into signing midfielders. And we just got rid of three or four! Need another striker as well. Boyce cannot be relied on to stay fit the whole season so a striker is badly needed. These two areas of the team being sorted will be the difference in where we finish at the end of season. Ignore it now and it will definitely come back to bite us on the erse during the season. 

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Beni said:

We were discussing the possibility that he indeed has a 3rd extendable leg!!! I then said yup with a little helmet on the end, then we just giggled like schoolkids and went back to watching the match.

Runs like mo farah when he's tired, maybe to conserve energy,looked gubbed from 55 mins but kept plugging away. Excellent signing who will go unnoticed in games that we are commanding in but in battles like yesterday he will shine.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We were discussing the possibility that he indeed has a 3rd extendable leg!!! I then said yup with a little helmet on the end, then we just giggled like schoolkids and went back to watching the match.

Runs like mo farah when he's tired, maybe to conserve energy,looked gubbed from 55 mins but kept plugging away. Excellent signing who will go unnoticed in games that we are commanding in but in battles like yesterday he will shine.

He isnt very big, so he has a really good centre of gravity, control over his body and can glide away from players with the ball and wrap himself into a player without it, not needing to foul. 

maroonlegions
17 hours ago, Humblerogue said:

Expect a derisory offer from rangers when they shift kamara

Also he will be targeted by certain thugs in various teams we play, no doubt about it, if he keeps this for up. 

9 hours ago, jamboozy said:

I believe you, Boozy.

Thousands wouldn’t.  👍

Arthur Morgan
11 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I disagree. I'm just being realistic, I feel he's a level above our team from what I've seen so far. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

David McCaig
17 hours ago, Pagey said:

In which case we’d be only two WBs of a similar standard away from 3rd and a bloody good shot at the top two.

David McCaig
38 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I disagree. I'm just being realistic, I feel he's a level above our team from what I've seen so far. 

Conceivably we could be sending a side out against Hibs with 4 or 5 players good enough to be playing EPL… Gordon, Souttar, Beni, Ben and potentially Devlin.

Arthur Morgan
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Conceivably we could be sending a side out against Hibs with 4 or 5 players good enough to be playing EPL… Gordon, Souttar, Beni, Ben and potentially Devlin.

We already had 3 of them vs Aberdeen. Pity our manager is too negative in his approach, holding us back imo. 

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

We already had 3 of them vs Aberdeen. Pity our manager is too negative in his approach, holding us back imo. 

A more mobile partner for Beni is essential if we are going to play 2 in the centre against good teams… Beni can’t be everywhere.

Sadly the two positions where we currently fall short RWB/LWB are probably the two most important positions in a 343 or 352.

Arthur Morgan
6 hours ago, David McCaig said:

A more mobile partner for Beni is essential if we are going to play 2 in the centre against good teams… Beni can’t be everywhere.

Sadly the two positions where we currently fall short RWB/LWB are probably the two most important positions in a 343 or 352.

Yeah I agree, the wingbacks are too defensive, thus making us look like we have 5 at the back instead of 3. Imo we should scrap it if we can't get in a new RWB, Kingsley may be the answer at LWB if we can bring in another CB. 

Bazzas right boot

Good at his job, but he is a defensive player and tends to play the safe pass. 

We need another midfielder to compliment him and link the play up. 

If we can get his quality in 2 or 3 other weak positions we'll be on to a winner. 

Leveins Battalion

Beni is a top team player,does the dirty work and does it very well.

22 years old,will probably become an international also.

On 23/08/2021 at 06:44, A_A wehatethehibs said:

itself.

Think he is a sensible lad. Came here taking a big wage drop to improve himself and get himself first team football. When a player isn’t motivated by money I think that’s when you have a player that can be improved and worked with. With his talent and attitude any move he does eventually make he will have given himself every opportunity to make big bucks and he will deserve it as well 

David McCaig
6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Yeah I agree, the wingbacks are too defensive, thus making us look like we have 5 at the back instead of 3. Imo we should scrap it if we can't get in a new RWB, Kingsley may be the answer at LWB if we can bring in another CB. 

Personally, I think Kingsley is superb at LCB and alongside Souttar at RCB, gives me us two centre backs who are really good at moving forward with the ball, Smith and Cochrane also provide good cover in those positions as well.  

What we really need in defence is a quick, dominant CH in between them .  Celtic Park last week showed it’s impossible to play a high line against pace with Halkett in the side… Halkett’s lack of pace is a problem in a back 4 as well.

wattie exploited
4 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Personally, I think Kingsley is superb at LCB and alongside Souttar at RCB, gives me us two centre backs who are really good at moving forward with the ball, Smith and Cochrane also provide good cover in those positions as well.  

What we really need in defence is a quick, dominant CH in between them .  Celtic Park last week showed it’s impossible to play a high line against pace with Halkett in the side… Halkett’s lack of pace is a problem in a back 4 as well.

thought Halkett played well on Sunday  there :rifle:  and yeah he isn't the quickest :rifle:

David McCaig
7 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

thought Halkett played well on Sunday  there :rifle:  and yeah he isn't the quickest :rifle:

Similar to Smith at RWB, if our aim is simply  to finish Top 6, Halkett is more than good enough, if we seriously want to finish Top 3 then he is one of the players we need to improve on.

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Similar to Smith at RWB, if our aim is simply  to finish Top 6, Halkett is more than good enough, if we seriously want to finish Top 3 then he is one of the players we need to improve on.

yeah we need a someone else in to take halketts place and use him as a sub :rifle:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Beni - out until next season with cruciate injury