Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

See, tragically, her boyfriend, an ex NHL player, committed suicide in Miami last night

So sad . You would think he had everything to live for . Just shows you don’t know what people are experiencing 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I see the doper lost on her return.

Sheesh! You just can't keep her knockers down!

neilnunb
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

:fonzie:

PortyJambo

Good results for the British players in their first matches in the Miami Open. Draper, Murray, Evans (1st round) and Boulter (2nd round, as she was seeded) all won. Norrie plays his first match, also 2nd round as he's seeded, today.

I P Knightley
30 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Good results for the British players in their first matches in the Miami Open. Draper, Murray, Evans (1st round) and Boulter (2nd round, as she was seeded) all won. Norrie plays his first match, also 2nd round as he's seeded, today.

Norrie's recent run of poor form has seen him slide quite quickly down the rankings. If he doesn't start winning a few matches, he'll soon be outside the top 32 and, therefore, less likely to get seedings in the Masters 1000s and Grand Slam events. 

JD, on the other hand, continues his steady progress towards top 32. He's unlikely to make it at this tournament - there's a bit of a bottleneck above him - but a few more tournies where he makes the R16 and he'll be there by the summer. 

Jim_Duncan
On 20/03/2024 at 15:25, I P Knightley said:

On 20/03/2024 at 13:24, neilnunb said:

I see the doper lost on her return.

She's innocent. How dare you call her a doper!

In fact, her knockers deserve a good tongue thrashing.

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

JD, on the other hand, continues his steady progress towards top 32. He's unlikely to make it at this tournament - there's a bit of a bottleneck above him - but a few more tournies where he makes the R16 and he'll be there by the summer. 

Yeah, I noticed that. Even a win in the next round is unlikely to move him up the rankings, maybe just the 1 spot if anything. He'd have to go far, probably QF at least, to have a chance at getting to top 32 level after Miami.

PortyJambo

Murray and Norrie through to the 3rd round in Miami, and Boulter through to the 4th round.

Draper loses after having match points, but was struggling in the heat at the end and was sick on court. Not the first time he's struggled in Miami (or elsewhere) in the heat, you'd think by now he's have sorted the issue out.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Murray and Norrie through to the 3rd round in Miami, and Boulter through to the 4th round.

Draper loses after having match points, but was struggling in the heat at the end and was sick on court. Not the first time he's struggled in Miami (or elsewhere) in the heat, you'd think by now he's have sorted the issue out.

Well done to Auld Andy! Didn't think that he'd get past Itchy-Very, let alone in straight sets. Seeds getting papped out through his quarter; he has to be hopeful to keep it up. 

Shame about Draper. As you say, though, he's got a team around him, receives support from the LTA and has Andy Murray to turn to for guidance. The LTA used to help Murray acclimatise for warm weather tournaments by cranking up the heat at the National Tennis Centre (which must have cost a fortune). Murray, himself, has (or had) digs in Miami where he'd spend time to acclimatise and he's put up other Brits there as well. Makes me wonder why JD's not followed suit in one or both regards. 

Still, he's at a career high ranking and still heading up. Clay court season next; Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and a few 250s or 500s to have a pop at before RG. He largely missed last year so, even if he only wins a couple of matches, he'll add to his ranking points tally. 

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Well done to Auld Andy! Didn't think that he'd get past Itchy-Very, let alone in straight sets. Seeds getting papped out through his quarter; he has to be hopeful to keep it up. 

Shame about Draper. As you say, though, he's got a team around him, receives support from the LTA and has Andy Murray to turn to for guidance. The LTA used to help Murray acclimatise for warm weather tournaments by cranking up the heat at the National Tennis Centre (which must have cost a fortune). Murray, himself, has (or had) digs in Miami where he'd spend time to acclimatise and he's put up other Brits there as well. Makes me wonder why JD's not followed suit in one or both regards. 

Still, he's at a career high ranking and still heading up. Clay court season next; Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and a few 250s or 500s to have a pop at before RG. He largely missed last year so, even if he only wins a couple of matches, he'll add to his ranking points tally. 

I'm sure I read a few years back, when Draper started playing on the tour, that he spent time in Miami staying with Murray with the aim of acclimatising to the weather and seeing Andy's fitness routine...guess he spent too much of his time there enjoying the South Beach nightlife!

I think Boulter is in the same boat re ranking points coming up in the clay court season, doesn't have many points to defend and should be able to creep up a few places even with only a few wins. Reaching the 4th round of Miami has given her a good boost, not so much in places, but she's a bit clear points-wise of the players below her in the low 30's. A seeding at RG, and Wimbledon, seems on the  cards.

Edited by PortyJambo

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I'm sure I read a few years back, when Draper started playing on the tour, that he spent time in Miami staying with Murray with the aim of acclimatising to the weather and seeing Andy's fitness routine...guess he spent too much of his time there enjoying the South Beach nightlife!

I think Boulter is in the same boat re ranking points coming up in the clay court season, doesn't have many points to defend and should be able to creep up a few places even with only a few wins. Reaching the 4th round of Miami has given her a good boost, not so much in places, but she's a bit clear points-wise of the players below her in the low 30's. A seeding at RG, and Wimbledon, seems on the  cards.

Liam Broady was a Murray house guest and I think he also put Kyle Edmund up. Broady's was more to give the guy a bed for the night, knowing how financially draining it could be to trudge the world playing in low level tournies. I'm fairly sure it was Keddlers who commented on the intensity of Andy's regimen and acknowledged the need to up his own game if he was to break into the top 10. Probably spent a lot of time chundering for different reasons that I would have!

JudyJudyJudy

Andy’s match last night was really good . He screamed in agony at one point . Something to do with his foot but carried on . Losing the 3rd set decider. 

on another point I’ve noticed that a few players keep hoisting their shorts up their thighs , Machau did it against Andy  . Usually shows off there big meaty thighs . . Shouldn’t be allowed really as it’s quite off putting. 😎👀

IMG_5183.gif

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Got to think this might be the end for him. I think he was hoping to get to Wimbledon and possibly the Olympics and have those 2 events be his swan song but now looks very unlikely…,

https://x.com/bbcsport/status/1772396308541694457?s=46&t=KsabsgMcL3ANTiXL-KF4Vw

Thinkso I was watchin the match live and It looked. A sore one but he still played on. Must have been on “ flight or fight mode “ 

Sooperstar

Fair play to him for playing on. As soon as it happened I thought it had just seen the end of his career, but when he carried on after it I assumed it was just a minor injury. He didn't even look to be suffering too badly during the following points. 

AlimOzturk

Top lad is Murray. Hope he recovers. Seems to just love tennis and even when not at his best gives it his all. 

Some player in his day and to achieve what he did during the greatest era of tennis is commendable. 

Probably broke his body doing it however. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Fair play to him for playing on. As soon as it happened I thought it had just seen the end of his career, but when he carried on after it I assumed it was just a minor injury. He didn't even look to be suffering too badly during the following points. 

Yea same here ! 

JudyJudyJudy

Wow ! Sinner was on stunning form against Med . Incredible shot making . Yea he’s deceptively  powerful . 

• 3 weeks later...
PortyJambo

Not been a post on this topic for a while, but I notice that Raducanu seems to be coming back into some kind of form. Won 2 games in the BJK Cup last week against France indoors on clay to help GB make the finals, and has now followed that up by reaching the QF's of the Stuttgart Open, a WTA500 event that's also played indoors on clay. Plays Swiatek next, so probably won't get any further, but she does seem to be on the right track again.

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Not been a post on this topic for a while, but I notice that Raducanu seems to be coming back into some kind of form. Won 2 games in the BJK Cup last week against France indoors on clay to help GB make the finals, and has now followed that up by reaching the QF's of the Stuttgart Open, a WTA500 event that's also played indoors on clay. Plays Swiatek next, so probably won't get any further, but she does seem to be on the right track again.

She's 5th alternate for the French Open. If she makes it in, she might find herself winning a couple of matches with a favourable draw.