Pets - The Worry They Can Cause

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

My wing man,  the most affectionate and funny cat you could imagine has been at the vet today.

A wee lump has developed in his "armpit" and we are arranging for it to be removed and examined as his breed is susceptible to various cancers.

Hopefully nothing but I was swallowing a grapefruit whole while talking to the vet today. 

:(

The Real Maroonblood
49 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

My wing man,  the most affectionate and funny cat you could imagine has been at the vet today.

A wee lump has developed in his "armpit" and we are arranging for it to be removed and examined as his breed is susceptible to various cancers.

Hopefully nothing but I was swallowing a grapefruit whole while talking to the vet today. 

Hopefully everything is okay.

They certainly are a worry.

Konrad von Carstein
15 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I prefer dogs.

The **** is wrong with you, never asked about preferences you dolt.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, hopefully it’ll be benign. 

Non pet owners have no idea of the bond you have. My dog is as important to me as any other family members.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I wouldn't get a dog either, because i would worry about the vet bills. 

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

hope he’s ok.  Fingers crossed for you. 

Dagger Is Back

Hope he’s OK KVC. Non pet owners just need to think about how they’d feel if it was their kids, partners etc

I’m at a stage in life where I prefer the company of my pet over most humans.

jack D and coke

Cats aren’t everyone’s favourites but I’ve had two myself and two beauties they were.  I had to leave one behind at my ex’s as got it for her and he was a special lad. Used to wait for me in bushes near to where i stayed and came bounding out when I came home from work meowing his wee face off until I picked him up and made a fuss of him. 
Hope yours is ok bud👍🏼

maroondevo52
3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Our male cat has a lump under his armpit, he's now 16 and more than likely too old to have any surgery.

It doesn't seem to bother him and he does not seem to be in any pain.

I don't know what your cats age is but if ours was younger we'd have the vet look at it.

I hope it goes well at the vets for you.

6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

He'll be fine KvC. 👍 

I got a cat(Bo) last year mainly for company for my Lab(Piper), no more dogs. Bo is definitely a wee force of nature and has brought nothing but love. Piper adores her and can't settle until Bo comes in for the night. Or is that me. :D

I wish I got a cats years ago. 

I usually sit in the garden(5 in the morning) having a cuppa, watching her before I go to work. I had to get the ladder out to get the dafty out a tree the other morning. Up nae bother, but she didn't know how to get doon. :D

Again, Good Luck bud. 

11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I didn’t have much time for cats before dating a girl years ago who had one. Absolutely fell in love with the cute fur ball. Hope he’s ok! 

Unknown user
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Cats aren’t everyone’s favourites but I’ve had two myself and two beauties they were.  I had to leave one behind at my ex’s as got it for her and he was a special lad. Used to wait for me in bushes near to where i stayed and came bounding out when I came home from work meowing his wee face off until I picked him up and made a fuss of him. 
Hope yours is ok bud👍🏼

Yeah I lost wee Hendrix to the ex, it was heartbreaking, total wee dude. 

Fingers crossed kvc, he'll be harassing the local wildlife in no time

Hope the little fella is OK

Our cat is now an old lady...17 year old..!

Arthritis in back legs, and partially deaf now...........and still a moaning ****...!.... :)

She must sleep 16 hours a day...

Harry Potter

Oh man, thank you all for your well wishes...

Hopefully its nothing.

Hope the cat is ok bud, take care.

Lass I went to school with just lost her French Bulldog puppy. It started choking on a sweet which she managed to get out straight away but still never sorted it out. Jumped in the car but 2 mins from the vet it just went limp. Terrible.

We bought many years ago a Scottie for our son, later we brought home a white kitten for our daughter. Our Scottie ,Sandy would fight any dog big or small at the drop of a hat, Fluffy the white cat was the only animal he feared. She would sit at the top of the stairs and if he Sandy tried to come up she would arch and hiss, it was quite comical, if both were on the same floor they just ignored each other.  Fluffy died and Sandy would often sniff around where she would  have been, he almost missed her.  I then got my dog Rambo a German Shepherd, as a pup he was almost as big as the now old Sandy. They were out in the backyard one evening, Rambo wanting to play, later Sandy came into the basement family room from the yard, lay down at the fire place, gave a great sigh and died right there. Much sadness in the house. Rambo became my best friend for thirteen years, like Sandy he just laid down and left me one day, I have had no animals since, they are like family with personalities of their own, a valuable faithful friend.

I am often advis ed by neighbors and friends now that I should get a cat for company now being on my own. No need for walks but I have  concerns, what would happen to the poor cat if I go, and how will I feel if I lose the cat, not worth it for either of us the cost to the survivor too high emotionally.

Edited by Sharpie

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

We bought many years ago a Scottie for our son, later we brought home a white kitten for our daughter. Our Scottie ,Sandy would fight any dog big or small at the drop of a hat, Fluffy the white cat was the only animal he feared. She would sit at the top of the stairs and if he Sandy tried to come up she would arch and hiss, it was quite comical, if both were on the same floor they just ignored each other.  Fluffy died and Sandy would often sniff around where she would  have been, he almost missed her.  I then got my dog Rambo a German Shepherd, as a pup he was almost as big as the now old Sandy. They were out in the backyard one evening, Rambo wanting to play, later Sandy came into the basement family room from the yard, lay down at the fire place, gave a great sigh and died right there. Much sadness in the house. Rambo became my best friend for thirteen years, like Sandy he just laid down and left me one day, I have had no animals since, they are like family with personalities of their own, a valuable faithful friend.

I am often advis ed by neighbors and friends now that I should get a cat for company now being on my own. No need for walks but I have  concerns, what would happen to the poor cat if I go, and how will I feel if I lose the cat, not worth it for either of us the cost to the survivor too high emotionally.

Get a cat flap fitted and being a wee furry ball of chaos into your life, you can't beat it!

Hope everything goes well at the vet 

We looked after a 5 month old kitten last January and she ended up staying with us - certainly livened up lockdown for us.  She's been to the vet lots over the last couple of months and is on a special diet now and being monitored for breathing issues so they are a worry. (Luckily i took out insurance or I would have had a nice £1700 bill 😬) now I get what all the fuss is about with a pet.  I think the most used phrase in our house is 'where's the cat ?' 😁

AlphonseCapone

I used to describe myself as a dog person but we got a kitten in February. All my preconceptions about cats have been shattered. Wonderful pet and part of the family. 

Konrad von Carstein
28 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I used to describe myself as a dog person but we got a kitten in February. All my preconceptions about cats have been shattered. Wonderful pet and part of the family. 

We got a puppy at the end of February...our cats 9 and 12 yo were, and continue to be, unimpressed...the fact that he's a big clumsy galoot doesn't help...dogs and cats are wonderful additions to a family and home...kittens are just awesome and there is something so pure watching a puppy running towards you with the ears and glee...

Clearly I need a coffee :lol: 

7 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Same here, Al. 

Hope your cat is ok. I like cats and dogs. When me and my ex split up she ended up with the cat. Missed the cat more than her tbh. 

highlandjambo3
On 26/06/2021 at 08:23, moz said:

Hope the little fella is OK

Our cat is now an old lady...17 year old..!

Arthritis in back legs, and partially deaf now...........and still a moaning ****...!.... :)

She must sleep 16 hours a day...

I’ve got two 16y rescue cats…..one male (Norwegian Forrest cat) one female (tabby Scottish wildcat looking).  When we moved house 12 years ago the male cat disappeared for 5 days…..I couldn’t sleep, I was round all the houses, missing posters up etc…….he just wandered back through the garden and in through the rear doors as if nothing had happened….we shit….I was so glad 😊

Before my Divorce the ex pestered me to get a cat. Money was tight and I said not a chance. She sold my young sons on it and eventually I wad guilt tripped into getting a kitten. I said I will have nothing do with feeding or litter trays, not my cat, you and boys can do all that. Foot down.

Few weeks in and his favourite sleeping spot at night was right on my shoulder when I sat on the couch. It was like he knew my original thoughts and just went OTT on the cuteness to win me over.

That said when we separated I was happy for her to take the cat. His uniqueness and cuteness had worn off.

If I want a cat now I'll just leave the door open. Penicuik Facebook is constantly filled with "Whos cat is this?" posts. Are folk really surprised that cats wander into their gardens??????

My black Lab is 13 now. Never been overweight and always a fit, healthy & happy dog. This last year he’s been hit with athritis in his hips and hes lost muscle mass there. Got him on a special diet and Yumove tablets but fek me, he looks miserable most days. Different dog completely. Must be in a lot of pain. He often trips himself up and struggles to get up/down stairs. We used to climb munro’s together and done a good few long distance walks like the West Highland Way. He can hardly get round the park these days. I worry about my friend. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

My black Lab is 13 now. Never been overweight and always a fit, healthy & happy dog. This last year he’s been hit with athritis in his hips and hes lost muscle mass there. Got him on a special diet and Yumove tablets but fek me, he looks miserable most days. Different dog completely. Must be in a lot of pain. He often trips himself up and struggles to get up/down stairs. We used to climb munro’s together and done a good few long distance walks like the West Highland Way. He can hardly get round the park these days. I worry about my friend. 

Sad

Tommy Brown
21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

😒

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Sorry to hear that.

I had a black lab for 15 years and he was tops.

Loved him to bits.

The Old Tolbooth
On 26/06/2021 at 22:30, Konrad von Carstein said:

We got a puppy at the end of February...our cats 9 and 12 yo were, and continue to be, unimpressed...the fact that he's a big clumsy galoot doesn't help...dogs and cats are wonderful additions to a family and home...kittens are just awesome and there is something so pure watching a puppy running towards you with the ears and glee...

Clearly I need a coffee :lol: 

I hope your cat is okay mate, it's very worrying when something goes wrong with them as they really do become like a child to you, adorable wee things really. We lost ours in January, only 12 years old and had serious anemia, they advised us that anemia isn't a condition, and that a condition causes anemia, and they couldn't figure out quickly enough what was causing it and poor Tyson ran out of time :( 

We have since livened our lives up with a poochon puppy who is now 6 months old, and he's just an amazing little dog, we're in love all over again and he's such a joy to be around, it's the first time I've had a dog since I was a teenager, and I wish I'd done it years ago, he melts my heart every day. What kind of pup did you get mate? 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I hope your cat is okay mate, it's very worrying when something goes wrong with them as they really do become like a child to you, adorable wee things really. We lost ours in January, only 12 years old and had serious anemia, they advised us that anemia isn't a condition, and that a condition causes anemia, and they couldn't figure out quickly enough what was causing it and poor Tyson ran out of time :( 

We have since livened our lives up with a poochon puppy who is now 6 months old, and he's just an amazing little dog, we're in love all over again and he's such a joy to be around, it's the first time I've had a dog since I was a teenager, and I wish I'd done it years ago, he melts my heart every day. What kind of pup did you get mate? 

He is a smooth collie spaniel mix, 3/4 collie but the lunacy of the spaniel in him shines through :(  :lol:

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

He is a smooth collie spaniel mix, 3/4 collie but the lunacy of the spaniel in him shines through :(  :lol:

You've got your hands full with that one mate :lol: (great fun though!) :D 

I lost my wee Ragdoll in February to Cancer.

Even the vet was greetin at the end.

Fingers crossed for you bud

Peakybunnet
On 26/06/2021 at 15:30, Smithee said:

Get a cat flap fitted and being a wee furry ball of chaos into your life, you can't beat it!

Yeah our cat flap is chipped for our cat. Nothing else can get in.

Been away for a week and left him his feeder and water and came back to a cat who never realised we had been away.

Our cat flap is into our utility room next to our garage. I have a small radiator for him in the winter. 

Leave a dug on its own and it would eat all  the food in one day> 

Jambof3tornado
23 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Speak to the vet about painkillers, seriously. I wish I'd done it earlier with our Taz, can give an older pooch a real boost but stupidly I always thought it was the beginning of the end, far from it.

Hope the OPs cat is ok.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Speak to the vet about painkillers, seriously. I wish I'd done it earlier with our Taz, can give an older pooch a real boost but stupidly I always thought it was the beginning of the end, far from it.

Hope the OPs cat is ok.

Sound advice.

Pans Jambo
11 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Hope the OPs cat is ok.

He's actually booked in next week for his annual booster & check-up so I will ask about it then :thumbs_up:

Jambof3tornado
10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

He's actually booked in next week for his annual booster & check-up so I will ask about it then :thumbs_up:

We used cartrophen,monthly injection but I'm sure I heard there is a better drug on the market. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Konrad von Carstein

A wee update on my boy... He is
fine,  just fatty tissue much relief all round,  for the humans,  he dgaf :lol:

Now,  the back story to his treatment.

We were initially quoted £450 to excise the lump,  this jumped to nearly £1k when we were booking him in.

We paused and did some research and were left wondering why a fine needle aspiration(I had one done on my neck prior to an op to remove one of my saliva glands due to a growth) wasn't being offered, non invasive no need for a general anaesthetic etc

On "challenging" the practice they agreed, FNA was £275.

On the day of his appt when the vet came out to collect him she offered to attempt the FNA without sedation,  he is such an easy going big lump we said go ahead, and she successfully managed to get the sample, final bill was £140.

Please note while the 1k was a shock to the system it wasnt all about saving money.

A wee bit research and informing ourselves enabled us to challenge and get the treatment tailored to what turned out to be a benign issue.

He is now asleep without a care in the world,  lucky wee shite :)

Dennis Reynolds
29 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Also an interesting point about doing your own research! Wasn't too impressed with the vet after my cats last visit if I'm honest. Poor thing was a nervous wreck and after speaking to the vet she was worried he had a heart murmur although followed that up with it might be because he's scared stiff! A quick Google shows that an intermittent heart murmur can show up when the heart rate is raised due to stress! Collected him and he was hid under a blanket in his box. Same cat has been to the vet 4/5 times and been absolutely fine with no issues. Picture of health and been lovely with the vets 🤔 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

A wee update on my boy... He is
fine,  just fatty tissue much relief all round,  for the humans,  he dgaf :lol:

Now,  the back story to his treatment.

We were initially quoted £450 to excise the lump,  this jumped to nearly £1k when we were booking him in.

We paused and did some research and were left wondering why a fine needle aspiration(I had one done on my neck prior to an op to remove one of my saliva glands due to a growth) wasn't being offered, non invasive no need for a general anaesthetic etc

On "challenging" the practice they agreed, FNA was £275.

On the day of his appt when the vet came out to collect him she offered to attempt the FNA without sedation,  he is such an easy going big lump we said go ahead, and she successfully managed to get the sample, final bill was £140.

Please note while the 1k was a shock to the system it wasnt all about saving money.

A wee bit research and informing ourselves enabled us to challenge and get the treatment tailored to what turned out to be a benign issue.

He is now asleep without a care in the world,  lucky wee shite :)

👍

Konrad von Carstein
46 minutes ago, LMc said:

Also an interesting point about doing your own research! Wasn't too impressed with the vet after my cats last visit if I'm honest. Poor thing was a nervous wreck and after speaking to the vet she was worried he had a heart murmur although followed that up with it might be because he's scared stiff! A quick Google shows that an intermittent heart murmur can show up when the heart rate is raised due to stress! Collected him and he was hid under a blanket in his box. Same cat has been to the vet 4/5 times and been absolutely fine with no issues. Picture of health and been lovely with the vets 🤔 

Hes maybe had a fright in the vets on an earlier visit and this is making him anxious?

scott herbertson
On 26/06/2021 at 14:10, Sharpie said:

Bit of lateral thinking

Step 1. Persuade (or bribe) the neighbour to get a cat

Step 2. Bribe the cat with food

Result  - Cat will give you a reasonable amount of attention but you are not responsible for it

Dennis Reynolds

Hes maybe had a fright in the vets on an earlier visit and this is making him anxious?

Could be aye. The last time he went he left with no testicles so that would make me pretty anxious as well 😄

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, LMc said:

Could be aye. The last time he went he left with no testicles so that would make me pretty anxious as well 😄

:ninja: :lol: