Pets - The Worry They Can Cause

Konrad von Carstein

Malinga the Swinga

Having to take one of my cats to vets this morning and I fear/know he won't be coming back.

For fourteen years he has slept beside me, lying over right arm and making sure he was comfortable above all else.

Now he has been diagnosed with cancer and is spending all day sleeping, is losing weight and barely moves.

House in tears for last few days since diagnosis and feel like bit of me being being ripped out.

If injection prolongs this by couple of weeks, then I don't see point of giving him it as it just going to cause him more pain.

Sleep seems the best option for him, but it's killing me to do it.

Konrad von Carstein
17 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Having to take one of my cats to vets this morning and I fear/know he won't be coming back.

For fourteen years he has slept beside me, lying over right arm and making sure he was comfortable above all else.

Now he has been diagnosed with cancer and is spending all day sleeping, is losing weight and barely moves.

House in tears for last few days since diagnosis and feel like bit of me being being ripped out.

If injection prolongs this by couple of weeks, then I don't see point of giving him it as it just going to cause him more pain.

My boy does that, although it's my left arm.

Sincere condolences to you, reading this had me tearing up a wee bit. :(

21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I took my cat to be put to sleep.

He was in pain and not enjoying his life.He was a proper boy.

I really felt at the time he knew and I connected with him in a way that makes me feel sad but happy.

As I really felt like he was telling me he loved me on the way to vets.

He was my first and only pet.

I cried like a baby a few days later.

That was 20 years ago and I still think of him.

It's a hard choice you have and theres no right or wrong.

Dagger Is Back
43 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

My heart goes out to you. I had three cats all brothers. One had stomach cancer and there was no way back. Tried to pretend it wasn’t happening and he’d somehow make a miraculous recovery. 

I was kidding myself on and we took him on a Sunday afternoon to a vet in Bread Street.  

The vet told us that it was the kindest thing we’d ever do for a pet and those words have stayed with me. 

That was nearly 30 years ago and it still makes me cry.

Sounds like you’ve had a wonderful life together.

Thoughts with you and your family 

What a both horrible and wonderful thread. Just back a walk and thought I'd knackered her. Apparently not. Sitting with coffee and she is literally pawing me to play. They are wonderful. My dad cried more when we lost one than when mum died. Genuine thoughts to those going through pain. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ah that's awful, strength to you

My son had to put his loyal & faithful friend of the last 13 years to sleep on Tuesday, he knew it was coming as old age had finally caught up with the dog.  Age had taken it's toll, he was diagnosed with kidney failure 5 months ago and the vet said that the medication will help but there will come the point when it no longer does and his condition will just deteriorate.  That time came in the last couple of weeks or so, when the dog started to struggle, and my laddie knew it was time.  The last thing he wanted was to wait too long and the vet agreed that now was the right time, whilst the dog wasn't in a lot of pain or distress, she reckoned the dog had a month left tops, but the time he had left wouldn't have been pleasant for the dog or my laddie.

Malinga the Swinga

Done now and he's off to sleep. Waited with him till the end, stroking his wee head and then he just went peacefully.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Done now and he's off to sleep. Waited with him till the end, stroking his wee head and then he just went peacefully.

You did the right thing mate, never forget your wee pal

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He's at peace now, you did the right thing.

2 hours ago, LeftBack said:

What a both horrible and wonderful thread. Just back a walk and thought I'd knackered her. Apparently not. Sitting with coffee and she is literally pawing me to play. They are wonderful. My dad cried more when we lost one than when mum died. Genuine thoughts to those going through pain. 

My dad was the same with the lab we had when I was young. He was always a cat person (his parents had just cats) and said he never liked dogs and didn't want us to get a dog at all, but they we got our lab and he soon came around. He never shows his emotions much, but couldn't stop crying when we had to put her to sleep.

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Aw mate. 

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I've had cats pretty much all my life and did the same as you when we had the last one put down. Thanked her for all the laughs she'd given us, clapped her and when the injection kicked in her eyes went from the normal green to black. At least that's how I saw it, terrible it was.

My commiserations.

Konrad von Carstein

I'm both incredibly glad and equally sad that I'm the OP of this thread, so many positive and supportive posts amongst tales of love and sadness.

We all get pets in the full knowledge that we will most likely outlive them.

I've got two cats female is 12 and my boy is 9...the latest addition is Ziggy our pup of 7 months.

Reading the latest posts makes me realise,  not that I hadn't before, how much a part of your family they become.

Thoughts are with Malinga and his family tonight.

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry mate. My first ever pet was a slightly older dog from the Dogs Trust and I only had him a year before he needed to be put down for cancer. I was in the room at the time with him which was heartbreaking but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I balled my eyes out for most of that night. Folk that haven't had a pet will never understand, but those that have, get it 100%.

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Aww bless you man. The kindest yet hardest thing you’ll ever have to do.

You did the only thing you could and the right thing by your buddy.

♥️

maroondevo52

Years ago out of the blue one of our cats had a really bad fit, took her to the vet and they said they would keep her in for a few days. They phoned 3 days later to say she was in a bad way and would we like to go in to say goodbye to her.

Feeling terrible we went in and she was in a cage looking shocking with tubes ect and hardly any fur left on her body, they said they didn't think she would make it through the night.

The next day they phoned to say she had picked up a bit and a few days later we got to take her home.

Her fur all grew back and she has never had another fit in the 15 years since.

A Boy Named Crow

We've got a one year old dog, she's had fairly persistent gastric issues, which cost us a fortune in vet bills etc. Crunching the numbers, it's eye watering what she'll cost us if this continues for 10 years +

Dugs are absolute madness. If you're reading this thread because you are thinking about getting on, do yourself a favour, walk away!

12 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry to read that, bud.

I stayed with my wee dug when the vet said the time had come. The vet seemed surprised when I requested to remain.

Very painful experience but I'm glad I did so. Would have hated if the last thing she saw was me walking away and leaving her. Held her while she went. The teenage lassie trainee was in tears, too.

20 years on and I still take comfort that I stayed with her until the end.

You will, too.

Best wishes.

Malinga the Swinga

Thanks to all who posted on here and sent PM's. Life carries on and his brother is being spoiled by myself, wife and kids.

On 14/08/2021 at 12:22, Malinga the Swinga said:

Condolences mate, very sad to hear but sounds like you done the right thing :(

I've never been a cat or dog person mostly because I'm allergic to them but we found out that I'm not allergic to British Shorthairs so as my wife wanted one, we got one 3 years ago. Mostly a house cat (breeders recommend they don't get out although he gets in the garden with a harness) but he's a wee character and since I've had to work from home since last March he's been a great distraction. Not at all what I expected, brilliant wee companion and we are considering another.

• 3 weeks later...
Malinga the Swinga

Came home from visit to gym this afternoon to find my remaining cat relaxing in garden, or so I thought. Turns out he had anurism and lost ability to move back legs.

Rushed him to vet but nothing they could do and kindest thing was to let him sleep.

That's two pets in about 3 weeks and I don't think I can cope with having any more as it breaks my heart when the worst happens. 

Just a shit day and waiting to tell youngest child when she gets back from holiday tomorrow. That will also be shit day.

Konrad von Carstein
28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Came home from visit to gym this afternoon to find my remaining cat relaxing in garden, or so I thought. Turns out he had anurism and lost ability to move back legs.

Rushed him to vet but nothing they could do and kindest thing was to let him sleep.

That's two pets in about 3 weeks and I don't think I can cope with having any more as it breaks my heart when the worst happens. 

Just a shit day and waiting to tell youngest child when she gets back from holiday tomorrow. That will also be shit day.

That is just to awful to comprehend...my thoughts are with you and with your wee one tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I don’t interact with you much, Malinga.

Tonight, I feel the need to say to you, through a wee tear, how sorry I am, having read through this thread for the first time and then seeing your post of 32 minutes ago.

Morgs.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Really saddened to read your post Malinga, especially given what you've already been through. So sorry for you and your family

You did the only thing you could do. Someone once told me it's the hardest but most loving thing you'll do for your pet. Having been there I can take a small degree of comfort from that, but I know how much you'll be hurting. 

Hold your daughter really tight tomorrow and cry.

Look after yourselves

Edited by Dagger Is Back

10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

****ing hell mate, strength to you all

13 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's awful for you mate. 

Just coming to terms with the first cat and then this, dreadful. 

Feel sorry for your kid just back from holiday and getting hit with this news. Similar thing happened to me when I was young. I was just off the bus from ten days at school camp and Mum hit me with the news our 4yo grey cat Dusty had just went to sleep and never woke up again. 

I was devastated so can understand how you and your family will be feeling. 

All the best to you. 

wentworth jambo
19 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

MtS - just read this thread from start to finish....your first post had me blubbing and I'd just recovered when I read your second post. As a cat and dog lover, I can understand what you're feeling but at the same time have no idea what you're feeling - not having experienced this myself. Someone mentioned their relatives crying more over the loss of a pet than a relative - I get that, I've cried more over your wee cats that I've never actually met, than I have over some relatives.

You and your family are in my thoughts - the telling thing is at some point, you'll do it all over again cos that's what animal lovers do.

5 hours ago, luckydug said:

That's awful for you mate. 

Just coming to terms with the first cat and then this, dreadful. 

Feel sorry for your kid just back from holiday and getting hit with this news. Similar thing happened to me when I was young. I was just off the bus from ten days at school camp and Mum hit me with the news our 4yo grey cat Dusty had just went to sleep and never woke up again. 

I was devastated so can understand how you and your family will be feeling. 

All the best to you. 

When I was 8 I found my cat dead at the back door, she'd been shot with an airgun and made it all the way to the cat flap. I was a broken wee boy.

20 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So sorry to hear this bud. We lost our wee Ragdoll cat Boo in Feb. I held him at the end and he purred his way out.

Not ashamed to say I broke my heart at the vets. Near 60 year old crying like a Bairn.

We got a Ragdoll kitten mid June. The house just wasn’t the same without him. Odysseus is, already twice Boo’s size and an absolute nut job, like his predecessor.

Time heals bud. Really sorry for your hard times 

21 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wow - we lost our cat of 10 years to the same issue 6 weeks ago.  We thought she had jumped off the bed but when we went to see her she couldn't use her back legs...they thought it was either blood clot or spinal issue - but sounds very similar.  We had to put her to sleep about 24 hours later....which was awful but we were there with her when it happened so saw her passing into peacefulness.

Absolutely feel for you mate.  We still miss our one.

On 01/09/2021 at 21:53, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry to hear this 

cats are lovely pets 

hope you are doing ok 

Dennis Reynolds
17 hours ago, Smithee said:

When I was 8 I found my cat dead at the back door, she'd been shot with an airgun and made it all the way to the cat flap. I was a broken wee boy.

******* hell that's brutal. 

Really sorry to hear this. 

On 25/06/2021 at 15:51, Helzibob said:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, hopefully it’ll be benign. 

Non pet owners have no idea of the bond you have. My dog is as important to me as any other family members.

Pretty much the way I feel about it. I was thinking of moving recently but changed my mind partly due to a dog we have. It was suggested to be a work colleague that I should just give the dog away. Do you know anybody who would take her? Or, alternatively, a shelter.

That's someone who has no comprehension of my mindset. To me almost like if he were thinking of moving, but has a toddler who makes the move problematic for some reason. So I say, Got any friends who want a toddler Bud? Or, alternatively, adoption agency.

And I haven't even had this dog all her life. I adopted her from a shelter two years ago when she was 6, so she's 8 now. Know little to nothing of her history aside from what we have observed ourselves.

She was a really nervous dog, would flinch and be wary if you tried to give her a pat on the head. Showed classic signs of abuse. For weeks she spent almost all her time hiding under a bed. Coming out to eat, drink and garden duty.

Then back under the bed. I concluded this wasn't a new thing and that she may have spent periods of her life simply scared all the time. And took to hiding under beds. Now when I come home she will run at me for pats on the head.

But it took around a year to reach that level of trust with her. We simply had to be patient. Her life would be shattered if she ended up back in those kennels. And I would never under any circumstances "give away" this dog or any of the animals I have had in my life.

Like you said, they are family members.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Pretty much the way I feel about it. I was thinking of moving recently but changed my mind partly due to a dog we have. It was suggested to be a work colleague that I should just give the dog away. Do you know anybody who would take her? Or, alternatively, a shelter.

That's someone who has no comprehension of my mindset. To me almost like if he were thinking of moving, but has a toddler who makes the move problematic for some reason. So I say, Got any friends who want a toddler Bud? Or, alternatively, adoption agency.

And I haven't even had this dog all her life. I adopted her from a shelter two years ago when she was 6, so she's 8 now. Know little to nothing of her history aside from what we have observed ourselves.

She was a really nervous dog, would flinch and be wary if you tried to give her a pat on the head. Showed classic signs of abuse. For weeks she spent almost all her time hiding under a bed. Coming out to eat, drink and garden duty.

Then back under the bed. I concluded this wasn't a new thing and that she may have spent periods of her life simply scared all the time. And took to hiding under beds. Now when I come home she will run at me for pats on the head.

But it took around a year to reach that level of trust with her. We simply had to be patient. Her life would be shattered if she ended up back in those kennels. And I would never under any circumstances "give away" this dog or any of the animals I have had in my life.

Like you said, they are family members.

I've had Minky a couple of months, I'll give you my brother before I give you that dog.

Poor thing's still messed up too, mostly fine until out in public, then terrified of anything she wasn't expecting and sprints for home. And she's got some power behind her!

We'll get there, she's got the rest of her days to work it out bless her

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've had Minky a couple of months, I'll give you my brother before I give you that dog.

Poor thing's still messed up too, mostly fine until out in public, then terrified of anything she wasn't expecting and sprints for home. And she's got some power behind her!

We'll get there, she's got the rest of her days to work it out bless her

Prior to this current older dog we had another old dog. She died 3 years ago now which broke my heart and I hadn't known her all her life either. I moved to Oklahoma in 2012 to marry an Oklahoman and she had this dog who was already 6. She lived another 6 years before being put down at 12.

I carry some guilt from that. She had been extremely sick for weeks. She had been on anti seizure drugs for the previous 4 years or so and they worked well. Downside is a side effect can be a compromised immune system.

She ended up she could eat almost nothing at all and I kept her around like that for about 3 weeks because I was fantasising of miracles. It will change, it didn't.

And she suffered in those 3 weeks in which I couldn't summon the fortitude to do what needed to be done.

My wife eventually pretty much forced it. This dog she had since a pup and loved very much. She was the one who took the step because I couldn't.

I went in with my wife and the dog who needed to be carried she was so weak. But left before the vet came into the consulting room. Still pains me. Always will.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Prior to this current older dog we had another old dog. She died 3 years ago now which broke my heart and I hadn't known her all her life either. I moved to Oklahoma in 2012 to marry an Oklahoman and she had this dog who was already 6. She lived another 6 years before being put down at 12.

I carry some guilt from that. She had been extremely sick for weeks. She had been on anti seizure drugs for the previous 4 years or so and they worked well. Downside is a side effect can be a compromised immune system.

She ended up she could eat almost nothing at all and I kept her around like that for about 3 weeks because I was fantasising of miracles. It will change, it didn't.

And she suffered in those 3 weeks in which I couldn't summon the fortitude to do what needed to be done.

My wife eventually pretty much forced it. This dog she had since a pup and loved very much. She was the one who took the step because I couldn't.

I went in with my wife and the dog who needed to be carried she was so weak. But left before

the vet came into the consulting room. Still pains me. Always will.

The only thing you can do is honour her by focusing on the good times when you remember her, I'm sure she was a good girl who deserves that, you do too. It's hard.

• 7 months later...

how are you getting on now after this? We lost our little cat Rudi on Sunday night, was only 2.5 years old, got him just before lockdown and I’d spent everyday with him since as I’ve always WFH. The little man just came up the stairs and collapsed, mrs screaming, I tried to give him mouth to mouth but wasn’t enough. Was by far the most horrific thing Iv ever dealt with, trying to console my mrs and save my wee guy at same time. Thankfully we go on holiday on Sunday for a week to get out the house as everywhere you turn you just think of the wee guy as they are always here there and everywhere 

23 minutes ago, toonland said:

how are you getting on now after this? We lost our little cat Rudi on Sunday night, was only 2.5 years old, got him just before lockdown and I’d spent everyday with him since as I’ve always WFH. The little man just came up the stairs and collapsed, mrs screaming, I tried to give him mouth to mouth but wasn’t enough. Was by far the most horrific thing Iv ever dealt with, trying to console my mrs and save my wee guy at same time. Thankfully we go on holiday on Sunday for a week to get out the house as everywhere you turn you just think of the wee guy as they are always here there and everywhere 

That must have been pretty traumatic for you both. Just got me thinking about my own cat, 16 years we've had him, heart murmur and all and how big a void will be left in our lives when he's not around.

Just now, graygo said:

That must have been pretty traumatic for you both. Just got me thinking about my own cat, 16 years we've had him, heart murmur and all and how big a void will be left in our lives when he's not around.

Horrific mate, I knew as soon as I picked him up he was gone but mrs begging me to save him etc all way from house to vet outside vet, just awful. We don’t have children yet and treated him like he was our son. Just in general a great wee guy. Going to and already miss him so much. He was such a help during lockdown as I was in house everyday on my own so just had such a great bond. 

AlimOzturk

Been there with several dogs and it never gets easier watching them pass. Our Last dog had cancer and it was only going to get worse so the decision was made because I had watched another dog suffer in pain due to my own selfish desire not to have to go through the pain of losing her. Loyal companions often hide their distress to save yours. 

We now have a cat. She is three and she is loved by the whole family.

Jambo_jim2001

Never was a cat person. I have always had a gsd in my life since I was a wee Jambo. I was surprised when we moved back to the village of my birth when this wee brave soul of a tortoise shell cat started hanging about my gardens,nothing fazed her,I think she must've been a lion in a previous life. I felt sorry for this wee soul with her half chewed ears .turned out she was one of a myriad of cats that were looked after by the local " mad" cat lady. Anyhoo I bought cat food and started feeding her,I remarked to a work mate who had cats about wee missy,yep Mrs and bairns had named her . He said " won't be long till she is cuddling up on your bed!" Within a couple of months there she was lording the house. I think she must've been abused at one point it took five years before she would trust us,with the exception of my son,to lie down next to us for a cuddle. Wee begger won me over. We had her for about 13 years she was approximately 15 when the sad day came to face the inevitable we were all heart broken, especially my son for whom she was his life, always there since he was a toddler,and fiercely protective of him,she once attacked a workman who was in her and my sons space whilst repairing the central heating,there was me worrying about the dogs.  As much as I love my dogs,that wee fuzzball has a special place in my heart.

Dick Dastardly

I had to get my cat put down last year. She was just over 20yrs old. We never got on really, she was a vicious, vindictive little biter and scratcher. Still miss her now! Luckily i got a dog 9 months before, so at least i had cuddles when i was feeling down

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, toonland said:

Sorry to read about your experience. Nightmare when it happens. Still can't face getting another cat. I miss the two chancers every day. Had house to myself for 3 days last month when wife and kids visiting in-laws and it was so quiet. Always used to have one lying beside me and it's taken months to get used to them not being there.

Lone Striker

Big respect to all of you for  opening up on how if feels to lose your furry wee loved one.    As some have said, only a pet owner can relate to the devastating feeling of having to make that final vet appointment.

Only at the end does it hit you hard just how much space in your heart  the animal took up, much more than you thought possible.   Then you're wracked with guilt and confusion  about whether to take on another one.

Our only comfort when we lost our old lurcher boy Sam was that we gave a long-term Dogs Trust inmate a good home and life for the final 3rd of his life.   But the devastation of seeing him take those last spluttering breaths will stay  with us forever.

We took on 2 more rescue dogs who had gone through their own traumas.  When their times come, it will ruin us all over again.   

My good wishes to you all for making a difference, and for being willing to put yourself through hurt & expense for the love they bring.

Kalamazoo Jambo
16 hours ago, toonland said:

I’m sorry for your loss, toonland.

21 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry to read about your experience. Nightmare when it happens. Still can't face getting another cat. I miss the two chancers every day. Had house to myself for 3 days last month when wife and kids visiting in-laws and it was so quiet. Always used to have one lying beside me and it's taken months to get used to them not being there.

10 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’m sorry for your loss, toonland.

Thanks both for your comments, not great to hear that MTS was hoping in time I’d be able to get better and maybe one day move on