Coca Cola Cup FInal 1996 - Evening News

GlasgoJambo

GlasgoJambo

Was looking through a box of stuff and found the Evening News from the Monday after this game. One of the best games I've ever been to and without doubt the best game I've attended that we lost.

Sharing some of the report here.

IMG_0037.JPEG.dffebea63102ccdd77dfbe1303be63ee.JPEG

I remember it well!

It was the first time I genuinely got excited at a Hearts Cup Final!

After being at the SC Finals in ‘68, ‘76, ‘86 & ‘96 just to see John Robertson’s equaliser was pure joy!

It was a long day (was out the previous evening at a party in the Midlands), up early for flight from Luton, massive delay due to snow, got taxi direct from Glasgow Airport to Celtic park, missed first 7 minutes.

Flight back massive delay, picked wife and kids up in north London after midnight to head back to Swansea. Got as far as Membury, eyes gave up (couldn’t keep them open!) and my wife had to drive the rest of the way!

Just another trip that contributed to making the 1998 Cup Final the best game ever!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Leveins Battalion

Great days,clips of getting  interviewed in Mussy sports centre and training at Pinkie.😍

Some game,mind my bus was 20 mins late due to the snow and the 1st thing I saw getting into the piggery was McCoist 2nd.🙈

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Heartbroken at full-time. 😭 Hearts were fantastic. 

Only Gascoigne stopped us, we were terrific that day. 

Restonbabe

I remember it was fluttering with snow and not feeling it was a cup final feeling at all until you walked up the stairs into parkhead and it smacked you!! 

What a first half we had. We were matching them all over the park aswell 

Then the magic of gazza. 

He also destroyed Scotland at the euros. 

GlasgoJambo
37 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Hearts fans noise at the end of the game is something else. Doing the twirly and then the Hearts song during Rangers trophy presentation. 

:sweeet:

Edited by GlasgoJambo
spelin

Jamtastico

After that game, I knew that team was going to do something special... Thankfully we got our revenge!

Brilliant performance, devastating and emotional result!

Did McCann not win MoM... Push bike?! 😂 ... Deserved it though!

Салатные палочки

Sat in a social club in Rutherglen watching the build up waiting for word of the game being on or off, drinking coffee out they wee clear, pyrex glasses. The the shout went up that it was game on! Even driving to the ground the snow was lying and the bus wipers were going ten to the dozen and I was thinking, no chance this will go ahead. 

An incredible game, the team did us proud that day. Unfortunately Rangers just had that cutting edge in Gazza that we couldn't really cope with. It could be argued that we had a better team in the 98 cup final, despite taking a couple of tankings off Rangers that year. 

Disappointed but heartened that day. The 5-1 and 4-3 defeats were stepping stones to 1998 and felt like it.

It was clear, with the high quality signings of Mickey, Neil and Weir, that we were on the right path.

Even if it was a bit bumpy.

The Old Tolbooth

I still maintain it was a foul and the ball was out on the touchline by Gazza which led to their 3rd goal, but the ref waved play on as they all did in their favour, nothing much has changed really. 

2 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Here is a Sportscene cup final preview of this match 

and the match itself

1hr 30min  shows hearts coaching staff who was the black coach on the left ? 

Салатные палочки
42 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

1hr 30min  shows hearts coaching staff who was the black coach on the left ? 

Is that not Darren Beckford? 

23 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is that not Darren Beckford? 

Done a wee search looks like him cheers,

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I still maintain it was a foul and the ball was out on the touchline by Gazza which led to their 3rd goal, but the ref waved play on as they all did in their favour, nothing much has changed really. 

Ye. I 100% agree.  That was what swung the match for them.  Was sickened at the time and still sickened by it now

I really thought that we were going to win that day.  Fantastic performance from the Jambos!

We had our day though 2 years later.  Not as good a game but the euphoria at full time will never be beaten.  EVER!!

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, B.S. said:

Ye. I 100% agree.  That was what swung the match for them.  Was sickened at the time and still sickened by it now

Where I was standing was near the corner and I was looking right down that touchline and that ball was clearly out for me, the foul was clear as day as well as it was Gazza's elbow that won him that challenge, I remember the sheer disbelief when they scored and it was allowed to stand, followed by the rage, then proud as punch at the end as we outplayed a tremendous Rangers team at the time. 

Robbo-Jambo
5 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Would one hundred per cent have been a foul if it was the other way. 😏

10 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Probably one of the best football matches I've ever been to. 

Just beat me to it.

Just one of those games that made you think “I ****** love football but I also ******* hate football”

When you leave a game you’ve lost and you know your team gave everything and then some you can’t complain 

I honestly thought, “It’s just never gonna happen”

But, of course it did

Bazzas right boot

25 years later and getting beat after a 3-3 draw in the sc on penalties. 

Following Hearts is emotional if nothing else. 

I remember I won about £50 in the sweepstake for first goal scorer, I got rangers no9. 

10 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

and the match itself

Thanks for posting these.  I've had a glimpse but have a few hours graft to put in before I can settle down to watch.  I've only seen the goals before.

Delighted that Robbo got a cup final goal.

Skippy Doodle
35 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Thanks for posting these.  I've had a glimpse but have a few hours graft to put in before I can settle down to watch.  I've only seen the goals before.

Delighted that Robbo got a cup final goal.

It is well worth watching - Weir, Cameron & McCann at the peak of their powers especially either side of half time

Bruno was the let down that day and didnt feature much after this IIRC

Brighton Jambo

Just watching that back and Robertson is clearly offside for the equaliser.  That’s why VAR shouldn’t be in the game.  Imagine that moment being taken away from us.  

kingantti1874

Neil McCann’s performance is in the top 5 best individual performances in my lifetime. It may even be the best

WoolfordsHearts
54 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Just watching that back and Robertson is clearly offside for the equaliser.  That’s why VAR shouldn’t be in the game.  Imagine that moment being taken away from us.  

Great point.

Standing for a few minutes waiting on it being awarded after ending up 4 rows from where you were sitting would've been a travesty.

I'd probably stop going if we got landed with that VAR up here tbh.

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I remember it was baltic and had been snowing. 

Had to queue outside as there was a chance the game was off due to slippery stairs.

Great game.

Result was a downer. 

Then an LRT bus back......

Savage Vince
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Just beat me to it.

Just one of those games that made you think “I ****** love football but I also ******* hate football”

When you leave a game you’ve lost and you know your team gave everything and then some you can’t complain 

I honestly thought, “It’s just never gonna happen”

But, of course it did

Very well put. 

It was heartbreaking at the end but it definitely inspired the spine of that team to create one of the club's finest victories. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Neil McCann’s performance is in the top 5 best individual performances in my lifetime. It may even be the best

He really was fantastic that day, absolutely outstanding. It was some game. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Maybe not the best ever but definitely in the top one...he was absolutely unplayable!

14 hours ago, Jamtastico said:

After that game, I knew that team was going to do something special... Thankfully we got our revenge!

Brilliant performance, devastating and emotional result!

Did McCann not win MoM... Push bike?! 😂 ... Deserved it though!

McCann was sensational in that match. Probably one of the greatest individual performances I've seen in all the years following Hearts. 

The rest of the team played well to of course but McCann was the standout. 

The weather that day was atrocious. Soaked right through which made the defeat even more agonising. 

Class of 75
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agree. Unbelievable performance. Rangers couldn't live with him that day. Great game though and was just glad to be there. 

Jamtastico
27 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

McCann was sensational in that match. Probably one of the greatest individual performances I've seen in all the years following Hearts. 

The rest of the team played well to of course but McCann was the standout. 

The weather that day was atrocious. Soaked right through which made the defeat even more agonising. 

It was a brilliant performance, probably the performance that got him his move to rangers 😂

Tbf, Gazza (if I remember right) was sensational too! I was in the old stand for that one...cannae mind if I got soaked or not but it was definitely a cold and long trip home.

'98 though! Best day of my life so far!

On 03/06/2021 at 17:59, Skippy Doodle said:

and the match itself

Well Skippy.  What a treat that was.  I could write volumes about what I saw but will restrict it to asking if any Hearts player has ever put in a better performance than McCann.  Mesmorising.

Even to this day I don't quite know how we lost that game. Hearts were absolutely fantastic and Neil McCann had probably the best individual display I've ever seen from a Hearts player.

I was heartbroken at full time.

GlasgoJambo
4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Well Skippy.  What a treat that was.  I could write volumes about what I saw but will restrict it to asking if any Hearts player has ever put in a better performance than McCann.  Mesmorising.

it’s a thoroughly engrossing game. Just action all the way through. 
Both teams going for it for 90 minutes and great support from both sets of fans. 

Skippy Doodle
36 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

it’s a thoroughly engrossing game. Just action all the way through. 
Both teams going for it for 90 minutes and great support from both sets of fans. 

I loved that hearts side from 95/98 and still do with no other side during my life time coming close. 

A great game and a great performance from Hearts against a Rangers team at the peak of their powers.  McCann was sensational.  We ultimately lost out to a couple of moments of Gascoigne magic aided by dubious refereeing.