US PGA

sadj

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

He once putted the ball before it stopped in anger. Hardly a cheat and yeah he's meant to be a really top bloke

It was his excuses after that incident which flew in the face of the spirit of the game.

He's an exciting player to watch at times, but he doesn't have throw the toys out the pram when things aren't going his way.

Love Phil the thrill but he had been playing like an amateur recently but that's why he's great to watch. He tries mental shots and he's either majestic or having a nightmare. Delighted he's won it. Still pray he wins the US open to complete the set. 

2 hours ago, daveb15 said:

Asking out of genuine interest as I’ve never seen anything about it, but I maybe wrong, when has Phil Mickelson ever cheated? Also, he seems to be regarded as one of the most likeable guys around? Seems to be liked and respected by most golfers on tour by fans and players.

2018 US Open (i think) he putted a ball and it went past the hole and was taking off so he jogged after it and putted it back so he incurred a 2shot penalty. Cheating is hardly the word for it. Lacking sporting integrity maybe as he knew what he was doing. Didnt really gain any advantage from it I wouldn’t say.

Some of the more mouthy outspoken pro’s (as in 1 or 2) complained he was using a 20 odd year old wedge which under new club face rules are illegal , however a deal was done by the manufacturer and the PGA which means the club was kept as a legal club. They complained that as an elder and respected player on tour he should not be using it as its not setting a good example. Again sporting integrity is maybe questionable (personally i dont see an issue - how many of us have old clubs that are first in our bags as we have that feel and control and confidence in it. If its legal its legal cheating to me on both no.

In terms of like-ability he is supposed to be one if the more respected players on tour for giving back and helping other pros. They all understand he is sort of just a maverick and does it his way. Amy and him also were supportive to Darren Clarke after his wife passed away even making sure to leave the stage with him at the Ryder Cup when all the couples had been leaving as couples. He stopped his career when Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer too to support her through it (obv caveat that with the earnings he has made in his career but also at 38ish as he was he was prob at the peak of his game in terms of competing in majors) 

Fan wise he’s def a very popular character I don’t think that really changed after the putting the ball while it was moving incident either. For instance he went to China for a tournament , learned to sign his name in Chinese and after each round stood at the back of the 18th signing autographs for approx 2hours. 

34 minutes ago, kila said:

It was his excuses after that incident which flew in the face of the spirit of the game.

He's an exciting player to watch at times, but he doesn't have throw the toys out the pram when things aren't going his way.

Indeed , knew what he was doing and preferred the two shot penalty to going back and forth. Sporting integrity to me rather than cheating. Fine line but I think cheat is harsh. 

The boy Patrick Reid is a cheat. And is despised by his fellow American golfers. 

Phil Mickelson being a cheat and hated by anyone other than Tiger and Mal is news to me. 

Malinga the Swinga

He knew exactly what he was doing when he hit the moving ball and his excuses was pathetic as was the lack of action taken against him by authorities. 

It wasn't lack of sporting integrity, it wasn't just one of those things, it was downright cheating. 

First went off him after his behaviour in last couple of Ryder Cups and the way he firstly threw Tom Watson under a bus in press conference and then the way he acted after the US were thumped in Paris. Blamed course set up, blamed team but refused to consider that perhaps the pitch and putt golf he gets away with in US was the reason he was particularly shit. 

Just find him classless, humourless and a miserable git to watch. 

Him being a cheat doesn't then help. 

No idea if rest of players like him or not, although given they are most likely afraid to upset sponsors, they wouldn't say anything anyway. 

Him, Azinger and the late Payne Stewart are the three golfers I, and its my personal opinion, can't stand. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, sadj said:

Amy and him also were supportive to Darren Clarke after his wife passed away even making sure to leave the stage with him at the Ryder Cup when all the couples had been leaving as couples.

Nice touch but Clarke could have brought along any one of the many groupies he'd been biffing while his wife was going through her cancer treatment.

15 hours ago, weehammy said:

He should have withdrawn from the tournament after giving his apology. That’s what most pros thought at the time, though most preferred to be anonymous. The USGA chickened out of booting him because of who he is.

But yes, poor sportsmanship and petulance rather than cheating.

Not sure if its accurate but there was an official who said Mickelson called them to discuss it saying essentially if the rule said he should be dq he would withdraw as it wasnt fair but they explained why it was rule 14-5 (i think) as opposed to the one that would mean dq. 

All in the past i guess 

Harry Potter
On 24/05/2021 at 11:26, Cruyff said:

Love Phil the thrill but he had been playing like an amateur recently but that's why he's great to watch. He tries mental shots and he's either majestic or having a nightmare. Delighted he's won it. Still pray he wins the US open to complete the set. 

Plays some superb golf at the age of 50, happy for him.

I'm sure Monty had himself a bit of the old buster keating, and Darren Clarke? called him for everything. 

Sooperstar
Just now, Sooperstar said:

Screenshot_20210526-212948_Twitter.jpg

Koepka's tweet is in relation to Rodgers being teamed up with DeChambeau in some pro-am thing between Mickelson and Brady.

12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Koepka's tweet is in relation to Rodgers being teamed up with DeChambeau in some pro-am thing between Mickelson and Brady.

Aye did you see Mickelsons reply too it 🤣

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Aye did you see Mickelsons reply too it 🤣

I did indeed! The US team room at the Ryder Cup should be an interesting place!

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I did indeed! The US team room at the Ryder Cup should be an interesting place!

Hunger games style those who survive longest get to pick their partners. 

The robot Bryson will prob have that sewn up , tho possibly Phil will take them out while they are moving....🤔

Edited by sadj