Alcohol free or low alcohol beer

redjambo

Due to lack of practice, and probably middle age, I can't seem to hold as much alcohol as I used to, so I have been trying some non/low-alcohol beers recently. Some have been quite awful, just like a hoppy fizzy drink. The only one I've found that I've liked is the low alcohol version of Adnams' Ghost Ship. The first taste of it is always WTF but then it turns into an enjoyable drink.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other low/non-alcohol beers that I might like? My preference is for IPAs/dark beers.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• postage-stamp

• Francis Albert

• ri Alban

:D The moment I saw it was you who had replied, ri, I know it would be something like that.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D The moment I saw it was you who had replied, ri, I know it would be something like that.

:thumbsup: Good luck, Red. It's good to see you back being Stat Monkey, bud. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

My preference would be to either have shandies or cola, occasionally pineapple and lemonade if feeling flush.. 

Low/0% beers are still waybehind in terms of flavour I feel. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Can't beat a Sweetheart Stout now and again.

Adnams also do a 2.7% beer called Sole Star.

Home Bargains are/were selling a craft lager at 2.8% called 'Taproom Craft Light Lager' which was bloody good, lots of hop flavours and was more akin to a craft ale rather than a lager.

I am reliably informed that Brewdog Nanny State 0% lager is good, not tried it myself, so can't verify that.

Have to admit I've not tried many low/non alcohol beers, however I really should try more, as I need to lose a bit of weight and get my blood glucose levels under better control, I am getting there, it's just taking time.

Auld Reekin'

I've not tasted any that are a patch on the real thing, but some are definitely better than others.

Some of the German wheat-beers do n/a versions which are OK: Erdinger, Weihenstephaner, Maisel's Weiss are three examples which I've seen here and drunk. For a darker beer, you could try Old Speckled Hen alkie-free - I thought it was reasonably drinkable. Heineken & Bavaria 0% aren't too bad, in my opinion, but Beck's Blue is boggin'.

Happy hunting.  :ermm:

PortyJambo

I had a bottle of Wheesht dark ale from Harviestoun Brewery a couple of years ago when I was out for dinner but driving, and it was not bad. Wouldn't want to drink a lot of it (like just about all the low/no alcohol beers) but it was decent enough.

For me, Red, they are a waste of a good drink.

Pointless too, a beer is a beer (for aw that :lol: ) and shouldn’t be some fizzy shite that tastes nothing like its more original, and illustrious, big brother.

Carl Fredrickson

Doing my big shop a few weeks ago (during the hot spell of weather we had) I grabbed a pack of fruit cider. I dont normally drink cider but with the weather I thought it would be nice for a change. 

In the garden with my Kindle, knocked a few back. They tasted really nice and refreshing but it was only after a few and I could still read, I thought to check the strength of the. Alcohol free. Tasted nice but I felt cheated. My 10 year old son would love them. 

@redjambosorry but my tale will be of no use to you

A poster above mentioned Sweatheart stout. If you only want a couple of drinks then that could be a good shout.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Due to lack of practice, and probably middle age, I can't seem to hold as much alcohol as I used to, so I have been trying some non/low-alcohol beers recently. Some have been quite awful, just like a hoppy fizzy drink. The only one I've found that I've liked is the low alcohol version of Adnams' Ghost Ship. The first taste of it is always WTF but then it turns into an enjoyable drink.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other low/non-alcohol beers that I might like? My preference is for IPAs/dark beers.

I had always been a pretty regular drinker. In the latter years of doing so it was a few beers, or mixed drinks with my wife in the afternoon, or a few beers during Canucks hockey games. I noticed when drinking in the afternoon I was starting to get a bit contradictory and argumentative. Around the same time I had an appointment for hip replacement surgery, and two things that frequently caused cancellation were drink and infection. I stopped drinking. I thought as soon as the surgery is over I will get back into my usual habits, but, I found I had lost the taste   for liquor of any sort, and have had in the four years one small glass of Champagne for an anniversary. I had before I lost her, lost my contradictory urge and my anger issues, I am not advising you to stop, but if it does ever come into your mind   when properly motivated its really not too difficult, better none in a way than poor substitutes. I will lead the hymn sessions with any other quitters.😇

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Punk AF is very drinkable, ipa ish 

Edited by Hesh

Do The Dance

Tried a few out of intrigue if nothing else. None worth it, IMO. That includes nanny state and lucky star. All the ones I’ve tried just taste like a cheap lager/ipa. And they’re the same price as a beer with alcohol in!!

Francis Albert

Low and non alcoholic beers have improved enormously in recent years. A far change from when a metallic tasting Becks Blue was the only option in most places. Adams Ghost Ship is one of the best. German wheat beers like Erdinger are  also good. Clausthaler one of the oldest is still very drinkable. Mainstream brands like Heineken Zero and Peroni Libera are quite drinkable especially after one or two of the real thing.

In fact after a few of the real thing I wonder how many on a blind tasting could identify the low or non-alcoholic versions.

Edited by Francis Albert

Thanks guys! Some good suggestions there. I'll give as many as I can a go and see if I can find anything else that hits the spot. Then @ri Alban and I can jointly host a non-alcoholic beer get-together for you all, with @Sharpie on hymns of course.

Just a note on the Erdinger - that was one I didn't particularly like as it didn't taste much like beer to me. It came highly recommended to me as well, just goes to show how different our tastes are.

heartsfc_fan

Pistonhead Flat Tire (American spelling) non-alcoholic is not bad.

Hoppy lager. You can get it in Tesco for £3-4 for 4 cans.

Heineken 0% is fine.

Brewdog Punk AF and Nanny state are also fine.

fast_blood

Brooklyn special effects is a good one. My wife had those when pregnant. I even drank one out of my own choice.

Big drop brewery also has a good range so would be worth looking into. 

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks guys! Some good suggestions there. I'll give as many as I can a go and see if I can find anything else that hits the spot. Then @ri Alban and I can jointly host a non-alcoholic beer get-together for you all, with @Sharpie on hymns of course.

Just a note on the Erdinger - that was one I didn't particularly like as it didn't taste much like beer to me. It came highly recommended to me as well, just goes to show how different our tastes are.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b7a4fun13dmfo68iids

I quite like the non-alcoholic Bavaria. I'll either have those if I'm driving or if it's a long day (bbq, house party etc) and intersperse them with regular beers to keep my wits about me.

I also like the German ones but if you didn't like the Erdinger then we've maybe different tastes but the Bavaria is cheap as chips so worth a go.

Nanny State is the best of a bad bunch IMO.

A wee splash of Angostura Bitters in something like tonic or ginger beer adds a bit of interest.

Harry Potter
16 hours ago, redjambo said:

Not helpfull but found these beers to be expensive and tasteless, maybe just me, rather have red kola.

19 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Pistonhead Flat Tire (American spelling) non-alcoholic is not bad.

Hoppy lager. You can get it in Tesco for £3-4 for 4 cans.

Heineken 0% is fine.

Brewdog Punk AF and Nanny state are also fine.

Another vote for the Brewdog NA beers- prefer the Elvis one. Also, Athletic Brewing do a lager and IPA which are pretty palatable (now sponsor Ironman as the drink of choice for the finish line)

Byyy The Light
20 hours ago, fast_blood said:

Brooklyn special effects is a good one. My wife had those when pregnant. I even drank one out of my own choice.

Big drop brewery also has a good range so would be worth looking into. 

These are the best ones I’ve found.

Punk AF as well. 

I used to wonder what the point of Alcohol-free beers were, but during lockdown I've found myself drinking far more than I should over the weekends, so have been trying out lots of different ones.  Heineken 0.0 is almost indistinguishable from the normal stuff, and maybe even a bit nicer.  Erdinger do a 0.5% bottle as well which is pretty nice, and San Miguel do one which is alright.  However:

1435375609.jpg

This stuff is the bollocks.  £1.30 in Tesco (haven't seen it stocked anywhere else), usually on Clubcard offer to £1.  It's very malty, but I'd rather have 2 of these in the evening than 2 normal beers. :thumbsup: 

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I drink to get drunk. 

I don't see the point otherwise, just buy an 8 pack of fanta. 

And see your teeth rot and onset of diabetes? 

A Boy Named Crow
On 17/05/2021 at 23:05, redjambo said:

It's not a hardman drinker thing at all, but much like decaf coffee, I don't see the point in alcohol free beer. If you're not after alcohol or caffeine,  in either case it makes more sense to opt for a drink that was designed to be "soft" from the outset. Shoehorning a beer that is passable without alcohol is always going to be an odd compromise.  Go for a sugar free soft drink, or a cordial, tonic water or something...would be my advice. 

Greedy Jambo
55 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And see your teeth rot and onset of diabetes? 

I get the zero sugar ones.

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's not a hardman drinker thing at all, but much like decaf coffee, I don't see the point in alcohol free beer. If you're not after alcohol or caffeine,  in either case it makes more sense to opt for a drink that was designed to be "soft" from the outset. Shoehorning a beer that is passable without alcohol is always going to be an odd compromise.  Go for a sugar free soft drink, or a cordial, tonic water or something...would be my advice. 

I was firmly of this opinion too, right up until I decided to give them a proper non-cynical bash.

I like drinking.  I love it, in fact.  I just don't want to do it every day, or every weekend, and sometimes I fancy sitting down and having a beer instead of having a can of coke.  Soft drinks just aren't the same and I don't necessarily want something sweet.  Some nights I would prefer the taste of beer, so it's a no-brainer really.

A lot of the non-alcoholic ones aren't just passable any more, they're as good as the real deal, and manufacturers are putting a lot more time, research and money into the non-alcoholic market. 

I don't blame anyone who would prefer to have a normal beer, I can very much see the appeal, but just because they're not for you, doesn't mean they don't have a place.

Edited by tian447
a missing word

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I was firmly of this opinion too, right up until I decided to give them a proper non-cynical bash.

I like drinking.  I love it, in fact.  I just don't want to do it every day, or every weekend, and sometimes I fancy sitting down and having a beer instead of having a can of coke.  Soft drinks just aren't the same and I don't necessarily want something sweet.  Some nights I would prefer the taste of beer, so it's a no-brainer really.

A lot of the non-alcoholic ones aren't just passable any more, they're as good as the real deal, and manufacturers are putting a lot more time, research and money into the non-alcoholic market. 

I don't blame anyone who would to have a normal beer, I can very much see the appeal, but just because they're not for you, doesn't mean they don't have a place.

manufacturers are doing it as a lot of yoinger people (18-30s) are teetotal or dont drink much so they are trying to tap into that market. think similar to the vegetarian/vegan options for food that are more available now

Just a note to those who are suggesting that I stick to drinking soft drinks (thanks to them and to all those who have commented with great suggestions since my last thankyou post). I actually like the taste of beer a great deal. I don't drink to get a high or get myself drunk, I really do enjoy the taste of a good IPA or dark beer. So given my inability to handle much alcohol these days, I'm looking for ways in which I can carry on tasting nice beer without worrying about it. As I said, however, there have been some excellent suggestions on here and, on a voyage of discovery, I am going to try as many as I can. The low alcohol version of Ghost Ship has shown me that it is indeed possible to find nice tasting non/low alcohol beers. :cheers:

Francis Albert
53 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I get the zero sugar ones.

Fake Fanta missings its  main ingredient is OK?

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Fake Fanta missings its  main ingredient is OK?

Aye, it's good compared to a lot of other diet drinks I've tried.

Spellczech

If I'm driving I don't stop at paying a fortune for them to remove the alcohol. I strip it right back to just the water. I then go with a Mexican twist and add a slice of lime...

Alcohol free beer - I just don't get it, why bother? Same as those American "lite" beers for girls...Beer but with without the beer flavour?Why? Just drink something else...!

If it is an image thing, then I suppose using an old empty beer bottle instead of a glass would work...

Edited by Spellczech

Same. I've cut back drinking the past year, namely die to being no where near a pub but I've been trying no alcohol an low options

I can drink the alcohol free stuff if I'm out and driving. Warsteiner and Budweiser prohibition (rebranded to bud zero? are drinkable.)

I prefer the low alcohol options though. I find the stubbys of French lager out most super markets do it for me. Morrisons I like. 

Co-op also do a mid-stength lager 2% which is pretty decent.

Boaby Ewing

Old Speckled Hen’s low alcohol offering (0.5%) is decent. 

Lucky Saint is the best though. 

As others have said, proper beer is great. But when I don’t fancy booze or a soft drink the new breed of low alcohol beers definitely have their place. 

Having a couple of Heineken 0.0's tonight. 

Just doing it for the image though, got to look cool sitting on the couch in my skants playing the PS4. 

on the back of this thread i thought i would get a couple to try and i am on the doombar zero. it is a bit bitter for my taste but is still decent

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

on the back of this thread i thought i would get a couple to try and i am on the doombar zero. it is a bit bitter for my taste but is still decent

I tried that one today while watching St Johnstone beat the Hobos. It's now my lucky beer. ;) I thought it tasted reasonably ok, but not sure I'd search it out again.

I've just found another one I quite like - Ship Yard Low Tide. It's slightly on the weak side, flavour-wise, but it's still got quite a taste to it and it's very refreshing on a day like today. :thumb:

Konrad von Carstein

Whoever cracks getting a non alcoholic red wine that doesn't taste like Ribena will be a billionaire...or maybe just a **** hero!

Doctor FinnBarr
On 17/05/2021 at 19:20, Francis Albert said:

Low and non alcoholic beers have improved enormously in recent years. A far change from when a metallic tasting Becks Blue was the only option in most places. Adams Ghost Ship is one of the best. German wheat beers like Erdinger are  also good. Clausthaler one of the oldest is still very drinkable. Mainstream brands like Heineken Zero and Peroni Libera are quite drinkable especially after one or two of the real thing.

In fact after a few of the real thing I wonder how many on a blind tasting could identify the low or non-alcoholic versions.

I'm a big fan of Franziskaner wheat beer mate but bought a few bottles of their alcohol free stuff. "Same great taste without alcohol",

Is it hell, awful awful stuff.

John Gentleman
On 20/05/2021 at 00:13, redjambo said:

Just a note to those who are suggesting that I stick to drinking soft drinks (thanks to them and to all those who have commented with great suggestions since my last thankyou post). I actually like the taste of beer a great deal. I don't drink to get a high or get myself drunk, I really do enjoy the taste of a good IPA or dark beer. So given my inability to handle much alcohol these days, I'm looking for ways in which I can carry on tasting nice beer without worrying about it. As I said, however, there have been some excellent suggestions on here and, on a voyage of discovery, I am going to try as many as I can. The low alcohol version of Ghost Ship has shown me that it is indeed possible to find nice tasting non/low alcohol beers. :cheers:

Drink a looong glass of iced water before you crack your (decent) beer.

On 19/05/2021 at 23:45, Boaby Ewing said:

Old Speckled Hen’s low alcohol offering (0.5%) is decent. 

Lucky Saint is the best though. 

As others have said, proper beer is great. But when I don’t fancy booze or a soft drink the new breed of low alcohol beers definitely have their place. 

I can vouch for Lucky Saint, Stella has improved alot over the years also.

Captain Canada

I've been drinking one called Freestar which is 0.0% and vegan.

It's a nice substitute for a cold frothy lager on a warm day and as I've given up booze completely, it's better than just tanning Irn Bru! 

Francis Albert
16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm a big fan of Franziskaner wheat beer mate but bought a few bottles of their alcohol free stuff. "Same great taste without alcohol",

Is it hell, awful awful stuff.

You shouldn't rely on the advertising spiel. They would say that wouldn't they!