• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• postage-stamp

• Francis Albert

• ri Alban

On 17/05/2021 at 16:36, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can't beat a Sweetheart Stout now and again.

Adnams also do a 2.7% beer called Sole Star.

Home Bargains are/were selling a craft lager at 2.8% called 'Taproom Craft Light Lager' which was bloody good, lots of hop flavours and was more akin to a craft ale rather than a lager.

I am reliably informed that Brewdog Nanny State 0% lager is good, not tried it myself, so can't verify that.

Have to admit I've not tried many low/non alcohol beers, however I really should try more, as I need to lose a bit of weight and get my blood glucose levels under better control, I am getting there, it's just taking time.

If you are swapping to non alcohol beer to help lose weight, be sure to check the calories and carb content. Most non alcoholic beers have the same calories and more than double the carbs. Some have more sugar than the alcoholic version. As a diet plan, it’s a bit of a non starter mate.

• 4 months later...

Time for a bump

Bierra morretti non alcoholic is decent from super market.

Why is it that Becks blue is the commonly available one when you are out though? Horrible stuff

I like Aldi generally but their pilsner 0% is one to avoid. Gassy as hell and no taste

14 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Time for a bump

Bierra morretti non alcoholic is decent from super market.

Why is it that Becks blue is the commonly available one when you are out though? Horrible stuff

I like Aldi generally but their pilsner 0% is one to avoid. Gassy as hell and no taste

Good bump, Alan, as I have an empty bottle of Becks Blue sitting beside me as we speak. I was trying it out, but to my taste buds it has an aftertaste I don't particularly like so I won't be getting any more after the 6 are finished. Absolutely agree about Moretti. Along with Peroni, Ghost Ship, and Low Tide, it is one of the few low- or non-alcoholic beers I appreciate. Still got a lot to try though!

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks. Need some for next weekend so will investigate. Which supermarkets stock the moretti AF?

I don't know where Alan gets his, but I get mine from Tesco (if they have any in stock).

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks. Need some for next weekend so will investigate. Which supermarkets stock the moretti AF?

Got mine in co-op so imagine some of the bigger ones do too

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good bump, Alan, as I have an empty bottle of Becks Blue sitting beside me as we speak. I was trying it out, but to my taste buds it has an aftertaste I don't particularly like so I won't be getting any more after the 6 are finished. Absolutely agree about Moretti. Along with Peroni, Ghost Ship, and Low Tide, it is one of the few low- or non-alcoholic beers I appreciate. Still got a lot to try though!

I wasn't keen on peroni or San miguels offerings but then I wasn't a fan of their normal beers either.

Agree ghost ship is good.

Had another when I was out, I want to say Samuel Adams maybe? But need to be careful as it was actually 0.5% a few could still put you over for driving. Tasted decent tho

11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I wasn't keen on peroni or San miguels offerings but then I wasn't a fan of their normal beers either.

Agree ghost ship is good.

Had another when I was out, I want to say Samuel Adams maybe? But need to be careful as it was actually 0.5% a few could still put you over for driving. Tasted decent tho

9 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

The Guinness 0% is decent...

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a go. :thumb:

46 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a go. :thumb:

Only problem is Samuel Adams don't do one which matched my description... It was definitely an American brewer though. I'll try find out

My efforts to Google have found that budvar nealko is a available! Budvar is amongst my favourite beers so I'm keen to give their AF a try

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just discovered this a few days ago. I did not have high hopes but it is surprisingly good. With the draught flow thingy in the can it produces a glass that looks almost identical to the real thing. The taste is also recognisably Guinness, smooth and nicely bitter. Not quite the real thing but chilled might pass a blind tasting especially after a pint or two!

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Just discovered this a few days ago. I did not have high hopes but it is surprisingly good. With the draught flow thingy in the can it produces a glass that looks almost identical to the real thing. The taste is also recognisably Guinness, smooth and nicely bitter. Not quite the real thing but chilled might pass a blind tasting especially after a pint or two!

I was surprised too...pleasantly so...just wish there was a lager type that could be as good...

Heineken 0% is pretty decent and 0% stuff has improved massively. I'm old enough to remember Tennents LA 🤢. I'm heading home at Xmas so will be looking for the Guinness 0% so I can still drive to meet family.

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Endinger is decent but I'd love to try Guinness 0. 

Where can it be bought ? 

Cheers in advance.

Tesco...

Tried low alcohol once in a pub and thought seriously what was the point ? 

When I do go out drinking . I’ll drink . I Never sit in the house drinking . It’s just a pub thing and real Alcohol gets the night flowing . IMO 

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Tried low alcohol once in a pub and thought seriously what was the point ? 

When I do go out drinking . I’ll drink . I Never sit in the house drinking . It’s just a pub thing and real Alcohol gets the night flowing . IMO 

I generally agree and wouldn't normally drink low alcohol beer in the pub unless I was driving. But the thing is I like the taste of (some) beers and and their thirst quenching properties and dislike most of the alternatives - fizzy usually sweet drinks, fruit juices etc. Water is too boring. The original low alcohol stuff (Becks the prime example) was (and in the case Becks still is) vile but some of the newer stuff is quite drinkable and some (Guinness and some of the real ale based ones) are good drinks in their own right). 

During the tedium of being stuck at home in lock down I found myself drinking more than was good for me. Or rather even more than was more than good for me. Now at home I drink as much low alcohol stuff as the real thing.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I generally agree and wouldn't normally drink low alcohol beer in the pub unless I was driving. But the thing is I like the taste of (some) beers and and their thirst quenching properties and dislike most of the alternatives - fizzy usually sweet drinks, fruit juices etc. Water is too boring. The original low alcohol stuff (Becks the prime example) was (and in the case Becks still is) vile but some of the newer stuff is quite drinkable and some (Guinness and some of the real ale based ones) are good drinks in their own right). 

During the tedium of being stuck at home in lock down I found myself drinking more than was good for me. Or rather even more than was more than good for me. Now at home I drink as much low alcohol stuff as the real thing.

Yes its the taste more than anything. It tastes so dry.  I had a spell when i would go out and not drink and had it but it was awful. Soft drinks are no good either due to sugar content of them ( mind you so does real lager ). I found that my drinking during lockdowns decreased . 

I'm a big fan of the normal Moretti but recently tried the non-alcoholic version and found it undrinkable. Of the ones I've tried Becks Blue is still the best of the lot IMO.

Stumbled across Cobra Zero the other night in my local shop:

217760011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=35a0e

Tastes better than the regular version!  Really smooth and malty.

Until they start producing these beer on taps in pubs I can’t see me buying them. Draft beer ————> anything else. IMO. 

On 23/10/2021 at 23:05, Konrad von Carstein said:

I hate to admit this...

...but it is.

On 25/10/2021 at 20:30, 80bob said:

Very impressed with the Guinness 0.0%. 

Yep.  I generally don't drink the real thing, but I've had to stick to non-alcohol beers lately and out of desperation I gave this a go.  It's good.  Not quite good enough to convince a regular Guinness drinker on this island, but very close.  The draft version in pubs is quite a high standard, but the canned version isn't half bad.

One word of warning - a few pints of it will give you a headache the following morning.  It's the colouring that's the culprit, apparently.

NO-FEE-GUINNESS-0.0-LAUNCH-JB2-scaled.jp

On 03/11/2021 at 00:53, Ulysses said:

I hate to admit this...

...but it is.

Yep.  I generally don't drink the real thing, but I've had to stick to non-alcohol beers lately and out of desperation I gave this a go.  It's good.  Not quite good enough to convince a regular Guinness drinker on this island, but very close.  The draft version in pubs is quite a high standard, but the canned version isn't half bad.

One word of warning - a few pints of it will give you a headache the following morning.  It's the colouring that's the culprit, apparently.

NO-FEE-GUINNESS-0.0-LAUNCH-JB2-scaled.jp

It's awesome.  Do you know any edinburgh pubs that have it on draft? 

• 2 months later...
Rupert Pupkin

Bump....

Got a 4 pack of Guinness 0.0 last night... I agree it is lovely....  

Paulaner 0.0 is also very nice...

072031D3-28AB-44D5-B84E-E9045C85D254.jpeg

49A8D2CF-6010-43AA-88FC-BCCF47E4BFA1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Bump....

Got a 4 pack of Guinness 0.0 last night... I agree it is lovely....  

Paulaner 0.0 is also very nice...

072031D3-28AB-44D5-B84E-E9045C85D254.jpeg

49A8D2CF-6010-43AA-88FC-BCCF47E4BFA1.jpeg

I finally managed to get my mitts on the Guinness Zero - it's lovely stuff. My only gripe is that it goes down so well that I always think the cans are too small. :)

On 17/05/2021 at 16:54, Auld Reekin' said:

I've not tasted any that are a patch on the real thing, but some are definitely better than others.

Some of the German wheat-beers do n/a versions which are OK: Erdinger, Weihenstephaner, Maisel's Weiss are three examples which I've seen here and drunk. For a darker beer, you could try Old Speckled Hen alkie-free - I thought it was reasonably drinkable. Heineken & Bavaria 0% aren't too bad, in my opinion, but Beck's Blue is boggin'.

Happy hunting.  :ermm:

Can't agree with that, tried one in the Munich Cricket Club and it got left virtually untouched. Don't recollect having enjoyed any n/a beer yet, would prefer a diet coke!

5 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Found this pretty decent 

426D4778-F319-4D19-A75F-CC78DFDDFEC9.webp

If you like that, also try this, if you haven't done so already:

cf02ffd7-d227-4fe4-af98-787cc257c408_118

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Can't agree with that, tried one in the Munich Cricket Club and it got left virtually untouched. Don't recollect having enjoyed any n/a beer yet, would prefer a diet coke!

I'd rather drink sparkling water than diet coke, so clearly our tastes differ!  :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I'd rather drink sparkling water than diet coke, so clearly our tastes differ!  :thumbsup:

LOL yup, water better for you too!!

Might try that Guinness though, clearly things are advancing from the days of Kaliber.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This thread makes me Ill. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9522da4e1abed35b98e6

:D And that's several times that you've made us aware of your feelings on the subject. It gars me greet to hear that it's making you ill - have you considered, like, you know as an option, not actually viewing the thread?

Edited by redjambo

25 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D And that's several times that you've made us aware of your feelings on the subject. It gars me greet to hear that it's making you ill - have you considered, like, you know as an option, not actually viewing the thread?

I like it, red. I've been close to experimenting some ideas. 👍 Hopefully, I'll get back to just water soon.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I like it, red. I've been close to experimenting some ideas. 👍 Hopefully, I'll get back to just water soon.

:interehjrling:

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:interehjrling:

I need to stop drinking. One or two could help, but I usually just stop for months and go full-tilt into training, but injury is keeping from doing both. 

Tomorrow. 🤞 

I was meaning , I feel sick because I'm sick of drinking, I've a can of cider in my hand watching Tampa pumping the eagles 

Edited by ri Alban

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, redjambo said:

If you like that, also try this, if you haven't done so already:

cf02ffd7-d227-4fe4-af98-787cc257c408_118

Nice one I’ll check it out next time I’m on a non drink night 

Since tried another couple. Brooklyn special effects is decent enough, as is the Innis & Gunn lager 0%. Still not great but better than many others.

On 16/01/2022 at 21:51, H2 said:

Tried the Corona version, might as well have filled a bottle out of the tap.

And here's the thing, many would say the same about the original Corona.

Tried non-alcoholic beer in the pub on Saturday for the first time because a boy drinking it let me taste.

Don't know if it was the fact I was already on my 3rd or 4th pint of the real stuff, but **** me it was bogging. It was the Peroni stuff btw. Can't even describe what the taste was but not nice at all. Really horrible aftertaste.