Pre Season Friendlies 2021/22

Footballfirst

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why are we playing youngsters and practising scoring goals when Neilson hates playing youngsters and scoring goals (apparently)? Get it sorted Neilson 😡

Probably because he wasn’t there?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Stu_HMFC

• John Findlay

1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

Probably because he wasn’t there?

Aye, they've just gone rougue and hope he doesn't notice 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Aye, they've just gone rougue and hope he doesn't notice 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

😂 let’s hope so

12 minutes ago, geomac said:

would they really?

A few jambos i know feel he has not quite lived up to the potential he showed at livingston, he isn't in the same league as previous CH's we've had i.e Jardine Levein Pressley Mclaren Weir,Macpherson but hopefully this season with the return of Souttar and maybe the purchase of a box to box midfielder like Hartley giving protection then hopefully he can progress and turn into the CH we have been needing 

1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

😂 let’s hope so

Or maybe it's just a pre season game and it doesn't really matter. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Or maybe it's just a pre season game and it doesn't really matter. 

Hopefully we get the doesn’t really matter mode then . 

3 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Hopefully we get the doesn’t really matter mode 

Can't be bothered 

Edited by Notts1874
Idiots

7 minutes ago, Boghell51 said:

A few jambos i know feel he has not quite lived up to the potential he showed at livingston, he isn't in the same league as previous CH's we've had i.e Jardine Levein Pressley Mclaren Weir,Macpherson but hopefully this season with the return of Souttar and maybe the purchase of a box to box midfielder like Hartley giving protection then hopefully he can progress and turn into the CH we have been needing 

Fair enough , a few hibbies I know are worried he's worth more than 'porto' but he's got to be better than that clown?

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Was a good game for us, decided to take the wee man through to get away from the England game and it was entertaining enough for my 8 quid 🙂

GMS had a good game but was subbed in the 2nd half and limped round to the changing rooms carrying a bag of ice. 

Damour was actually superb. Strolled it. Pinging 40 yard passes, pressing, won the ball back a good few times, scored... I wonder if he's going to get a chance to prove himself or if we're just putting him in the window.

Really encouraged by Hendo as well. Good pace, good attitude, and seems to have gained a bit of confidence and finishing ability. Hopefully he cracks on this season.

The new lad looked lively if maybe a bit out of puff towards the end.

Boyce was on another level to the opposition. Absolutely strolled it. Lovely wee dummy to send the full back through on goal late on. 

Stone looks like a very good keeper and I'm hoping he takes over from Gordon whenever he calls it a day. He didn't have much to do, but when he did have to save a shot or two, he seemed assured and his movements were really quick. 

The young lad at centre back looked quite calm and composed as well, won a few headers and moved the ball around well. Might be one to have around for backup next season. 

Of course it's only Spartans, but we looked well drilled and let's not forget that we lost 1-0 to a team from the same level of the pyramid last season.

Feeling.... Encouraged...? 

Just to say I was also at the game and I agree with everything above, including the stuff about Damour which shocks me to even type because I was not a fan of his.

He absolutely strolled it and got involved with an early assist, a goal and lots of pressing to win the ball back. 

I still need to see him do it against higher a standard of opposition but I can’t fault him on tonight’s performance. It was first class.

4 minutes ago, BigC said:

Just to say I was also at the game and I agree with everything above, including the stuff about Damour which shocks me to even type because I was not a fan of his.

He absolutely strolled it and got involved with an early assist, a goal and lots of pressing to win the ball back. 

I still need to see him do it against higher a standard of opposition but I can’t fault him on tonight’s performance. It was first class.

What was your thoughts on young McGill tonight?

But of a different approach to pre-season, banging goals past minor opposition whilst getting a few good work outs into the legs. All for it myself. Good idea to try. Hope it pays off when the opposition gets a wee bit harder in a couple of weeks.

bringonthesevco

Great to see goals getting banged in in both matches .  Only thing I’m a little bit surprised at is playing Boyce in one match and Nando in the other.  I’d have thought playing them both together all the time would help develop/form the killer partnership …

maybe we’re saving that for the cup games …

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Was a good game for us, decided to take the wee man through to get away from the England game and it was entertaining enough for my 8 quid 🙂

GMS had a good game but was subbed in the 2nd half and limped round to the changing rooms carrying a bag of ice. 

Damour was actually superb. Strolled it. Pinging 40 yard passes, pressing, won the ball back a good few times, scored... I wonder if he's going to get a chance to prove himself or if we're just putting him in the window.

Really encouraged by Hendo as well. Good pace, good attitude, and seems to have gained a bit of confidence and finishing ability. Hopefully he cracks on this season.

The new lad looked lively if maybe a bit out of puff towards the end.

Boyce was on another level to the opposition. Absolutely strolled it. Lovely wee dummy to send the full back through on goal late on. 

Stone looks like a very good keeper and I'm hoping he takes over from Gordon whenever he calls it a day. He didn't have much to do, but when he did have to save a shot or two, he seemed assured and his movements were really quick. 

The young lad at centre back looked quite calm and composed as well, won a few headers and moved the ball around well. Might be one to have around for backup next season. 

Of course it's only Spartans, but we looked well drilled and let's not forget that we lost 1-0 to a team from the same level of the pyramid last season.

Feeling.... Encouraged...? 

Cheers for that, nice summary. 

Hopefully GMS is OK. 

Damour imo could always play, just dwelled on the ball and never seemed to learn to move it a bit faster. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Boghell51 said:

Alot off our support would say Halkett has been isolating and social distancing for the last 18 months 

No they wouldn't. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Took some abuse on the Damour thread, but hey ho, got to stick to your guns, man management is vital, easy to blame the player without seeing everything. Hope he can be part of the team this year, if he is doing well, it all helps the team.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Anymore glamour games?

Hearts v McDonalds drive thru

Hearts v LRT bus drivers. 

Cannae wait. 

tenor.gif

Cannae see it we play lc group games v soon. 2 weeks? 

Building up fitness, getting everyone game time to carry into the lc group stages and with Covid restrictions I don't see the point in a "glamour friendly"- hardly any one can go. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Took some abuse on the Damour thread, but hey ho, got to stick to your guns, man management is vital, easy to blame the player without seeing everything. Hope he can be part of the team this year, if he is doing well, it all helps the team.

Did he not go back home during covid? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Did he not go back home during covid? 

Not sure, but in the circumstances, don't think that is a reason to criticise. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Not sure, but in the circumstances, don't think that is a reason to criticise. 

Wasn't criticising. 

Just wondered if his issues were more personal and that would explain his "time out". 

1 hour ago, bringonthesevco said:

Great to see goals getting banged in in both matches .  Only thing I’m a little bit surprised at is playing Boyce in one match and Nando in the other.  I’d have thought playing them both together all the time would help develop/form the killer partnership …

maybe we’re saving that for the cup games …

I don’t think we’re looking at playing both together this year. Tbf Boyce wasn’t as potent when they played as a 2.

Boyce with Ginnelly and GMS either side would be my shout.

10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Some thoughts on having watched both games.

The selection for the CSS game suggested that those with a history of injuries would play there on grass rather than on the Ainslie Park astro. (Souttar, Haring, Walker, Ginelly)

CSS put more into the game than Spartans particularly in the first half when Stewart probably had more touches than any other Hearts player.  Haring looked more mobile than he was last season. Walker was decent, but the other midfielders in Halliday and McEneff were ineffective. MOTM was Connor Smith who worked his socks off in the right wing back role before moving into centre midfield after a raft of subs.

Spartans were hit with a couple of early goals and were never in the game. Hearts looked much more composed and under less pressure throughout. The astro surface meant that fewer passes were misplaced or mis-controlled.  Damour was decent as was his goal which finished off a fine team goal. He also rattled the post late on. He was ably assisted in midfield by Scott McGill. GMS was another who had a good game, kept possession well and took the chances that came his way. Cochrane showed up well, with good pace and strength, although seemed reluctant to use his weaker foot. The defence was never stretched, but Callum Flatman looked very composed on the ball, won his fair share in the air and his distribution was good.

I would find it difficult to select a first XI out of the two teams tonight, but the following would deserve it on th.

(4-5-1)

Stone

C Smith Souttar Halkett Cochrane

Ginelly Haring Damour Walker GMS

Boyce

Very good to hear about Smith. I'd love to have our youth as the backup players this season assuming they're good enough.

3 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I don’t think we’re looking at playing both together this year. Tbf Boyce wasn’t as potent when they played as a 2.

Stop it, I'm starting to get optimistic

4 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Aye, not a bad shout that is it.  Pretty exciting trio actually.

Gnando great to have too - maybe slight horses for courses - won't want to see us with wholesale changes every week, we've been terrible for doing that in recent years, but some games with Gnando and Boyce up top and perhaps a bit more of a direct style, won't be a bad choice.

A_A wehatethehibs

Great to see good sharpness in our play in the first few run outs. 

And loads of young players getting their chance to put on a Hearts shirt and show what they've got. 

Early days but think any questions about the motivation and preparation. Every player has played with intent

Batistuta87
7 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

What was your thoughts on young McGill tonight?

Appreciate you never asked me but thought I'd answer anyway :) 

Didn't do anything wrong but don't really remember him doing anything noteworthy either. Damour basically did both their jobs lol and I'm not exaggerating - perhaps that quietened him a little? 

57 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Cheers for that, nice summary. 

Hopefully GMS is OK. 

Damour imo could always play, just dwelled on the ball and never seemed to learn to move it a bit faster. 

Agree with this. No doubting his ability as a footballer when you look at what he's done before he came here, but strikes me as one of those guys that needs some real 121 man-management based on Warnock's comments, and you obviously can't just leave him to train and then just expect him to produce. Needs some support and encouragement maybe. Wouldn't mind seeing him against a better team, but if his pish-ness has been caused by Levein's poor man-management, then he deserves another chance to prove himself under RN. 

In typical Hearts style though, he'll come back into the team, have a couple of good games, we'll all like him again, and then we'll move him on 😂

Edited by Batistuta87

upgotheheads

19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Didn't do anything wrong but don't really remember him doing anything noteworthy either. Damour basically did both their jobs lol and I'm not exaggerating - perhaps that quietened him a little? 

Agree with this. No doubting his ability as a footballer when you look at what he's done before he came here, but strikes me as one of those guys that needs some real 121 man-management based on Warnock's comments, and you obviously can't just leave him to train and then just expect him to produce. Needs some support and encouragement maybe. Wouldn't mind seeing him against a better team, but if his pish-ness has been caused by Levein's poor man-management, then he deserves another chance to prove himself under RN. 

In typical Hearts style though, he'll come back into the team, have a couple of good games, we'll all like him again, and then we'll move him on 😂

I would love to see Damour rehabilitated in the team, as long as he learns that you don't get time to hesitate on the ball in Scottish football.  I think he could be useful as an advanced ball winning midfielder, and we might get some value from him yet.

3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I would love to see Damour rehabilitated in the team, as long as he learns that you don't get time to hesitate on the ball in Scottish football.  I think he could be useful as an advanced ball winning midfielder, and we might get some value from him yet.

I think that was always the thing with him, he played best when a bit higher.  He was doing just fine under Stendel until THAT St Mirren game when the team seemed to come out and play for Levein again!!

He has pretty good quality on the ball, but yes dwelt on it a bit.  Matters a touch less in the oppo half of course, but I always like when we play a harrying type player a bit higher up the pitch.  I actually remember maybe Cathro did it with Kitchen a couple of times and worked OK to an extent.

I'd love us to play a much less passive game, basically.  I want us to press high and with intent.  Not saying trendy geggenpress and all that, but just play way more in yer face type football.  If Damour can help us do that, all for it.

Batistuta87
37 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Would love to see him come back and play well aye - will be like a new signing. Surely he'll have learned to adapt his game a bit by now. Certainly showed it last night but conscious that it was only Spartans (although as mentioned earlier, we lost to a team from the same level last season). He showed some very quick feet on the ball, he was nimble when he was closing players down and did so at a good pace, his delivery from out wide was outstanding (we scored twice from him doing so), and he did well to break forward for his goal as well. Honestly his best game in a Hearts shirt by a very long way. He absolutely strolled it. I'm absolutely all for giving him another chance.

Edited by Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yip, agreed. 

From watching him play his biggest issue was getting caught on the ball and imo he never seemed to adapt. 

Hard for any player to thrive and bring their own game onto the team tho recently. 

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would love to see him come back and play well aye - will be like a new signing. Surely he'll have learned to adapt his game a bit by now. Certainly showed it last night but conscious that it was only Spartans (although as mentioned earlier, we lost to a team from the same level last season). He showed some very quick feet on the ball, he was nimble when he was closing players down and did so at a good pace, his delivery from out wide was outstanding (we scored twice from him doing so), and he did well to break forward for his goal as well. Honestly his best game in a Hearts shirt by a very long way. He absolutely strolled it. I'm absolutely all for giving him another chance.

Agree with everything you say. His assist for Boyce's first goal was excellent, got to the bye line looked up and picked out Boyce perfectly. Quality final balls in the final third is something we seem to have lacked for some time now.

He also played 3 outstanding cross field balls to pick out players with space to run into

heartsfc_fan

Any news on Jordan Roberts? He seemed to do well on loan at Motherwell.

Injured or out the picture?

Hungry hippo
53 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Any news on Jordan Roberts? He seemed to do well on loan at Motherwell.

Injured or out the picture?

In April, Motherwell announced that he was out injured for the rest of the season but that it wasn't a serious injury.

I'm not ITK so don't know the answer to your question but expect he'll be moved on fairly easily this summer which will suit all parties.

16 hours ago, Barack said:

Lovely, Couldn't care about the quality or otherwise of the opposition, I just love watching us score.

Nucky Thompson

Has anyone who bought tickets for the Berwick game had a refund from fanbase yet?

I know it’s not a pre season friendly but thought I’d post on here.

saw Peterhead tweet hearts tickets are sold out. Were they ever even on sale to us?

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, maroon said:

I know it’s not a pre season friendly but thought I’d post on here.

saw Peterhead tweet hearts tickets are sold out. Were they ever even on sale to us?

Away fans not allowed as yet I imagine. 

CornhillHearts
3 hours ago, HighTimes said:

Lovely, Couldn't care about the quality or otherwise of the opposition, I just love watching us score.

In terms of first team fixtures, do we have anything lined up beyond the closed doors games this weekend? There was chat of a game against Millwall wasn't there?

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

In terms of first team fixtures, do we have anything lined up beyond the closed doors games this weekend? There was chat of a game against Millwall wasn't there?

Given that the season starts in 10 days time, the first team squad will be playing in the closed door games this weekend.

Saturday's game against Whitehill, Monday's game against Preston Athletic and next Friday's game against Fauldhouse will all be predominately youth sides.

We also have a game lined up against Bonnyrigg next Wednesday. I think there will be some senior players in that team, particularly those who won't be in the League Cup squad.

17 July is a date that is available for another game as the 1st team sits out that round of LC fixtures.  

Edited by Footballfirst

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

Hope you enjoyed your bike ride from Marine Drive to Pilton Drive and then home after the Spartans game?

August Landmesser
33 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think I read on the club website there were two closed-doors games v Ayr and Falkirk planned for next weekend as well as the other non-league stuff being mentioned.

CornhillHearts
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Hope you enjoyed your bike ride from Marine Drive to Pilton Drive and then home after the Spartans game?

Aaron's my son John, I'd still be cycling 🚲🚲

17 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

Aaron's my son John, I'd still be cycling 🚲🚲

Seen a wee laddie stopping Aaron for a photo at half time v Spartans last night 😂

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

I think I read on the club website there were two closed-doors games v Ayr and Falkirk planned for next weekend as well as the other non-league stuff being mentioned.

This weekend is it not. Ayr Friday and falkirk Saturday ?

CornhillHearts
6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Seen a wee laddie stopping Aaron for a photo at half time v Spartans last night 😂

You'd be surprised how often that happens Stu. He had a bigger lad asking for a selfie at the other game as well 😉

received_2730093800629005.jpeg

Just now, CornhillHearts said:

You'd be surprised how often that happens Stu. He had a bigger lad asking for a selfie at the other game as well 😉

received_2730093800629005.jpeg

Haha brilliant 👍🏻