***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I wouldn’t say “we’re golden” with them 4 tbqh. Naismith is costing us a lot of money for a bit part role. Don’t think he’s got the legs to cause Premiership defenders much trouble these days. Be very handy if he can prove that wrong and come good again and bag 10-15 next season but to me, just seems the same as Berra. The body won’t do what the mind wants anymore. I hope he retires, be a shame to watch him decline too much further and become genuinely despised as Berra / Hughes was. 

Ah I duno mate.  I think Boyce is top class at our level.  I have a feeling Gnando could tear it up (IF WE PROVIDE HIM WITH SERVICE) and Hendo, yeah stretch teams off the bench maybe his role this season.  I think having Naismith as a terrier and pest who will chip in with goals isn't a bad option.  Plenty guys whose legs have gone way worse than his have done well. Wasn't Boyd top scorer still a couple years back and couldn't run the length of himself!

I think it's about playing a more direct form of football, which all 4 of these guys would thrive on.

As for bang for buck, I'll be honest, not personally one for getting in to wages etc.  Costing us a lot of money.  Yeah and I get that budget could maybe mean a slightly better CH etc, but just not something I personally get hung up on.  We fans don't have enough info to really worry about that.  Only time I touch on wage is when we let someone go I think we should keep!

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Tennant's  6's
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If he scores 1 and it's the winer in the sc final he'll be worth it!

Nielson needs to take the Cups as seriously as any league game though. It's our only chance of winning anything & so far his record is woeful. 

Hopefully last seasons debacle is the belated wake up call that he needs. 

Was Liam Polworth freed by Motherwell because they didn't think that he as worthy of a new deal?

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

Was Liam Polworth freed by Motherwell because they didn't think that he as worthy of a new deal?

nope he rejected a new contract

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Do you despise Berra? 

As a player yes, the last 2 years he has been up there with the worst Center halves I have ever seen play for Hearts. It’s not personal hatred for him as a person, it’s the performances. He’s been met with total derision from Hearts fans for 2+ years while picking up the top wages the club can pay. It’s been sad to see. Levein should never have given him that sympathy extension, clear as day from game 1 after his injury that he was ****ed. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As a player yes, the last 2 years he has been up there with the worst Center halves I have ever seen play for Hearts. It’s not personal hatred for him as a person, it’s the performances. He’s been met with total derision from Hearts fans for 2+ years while picking up the top wages the club can pay. Levein should never have given him that sympathy extension, clear as day from game 1 after his injury that he was ****ed. 

i have to agree

I've said it before as well but he single-handedly cost us two Scottish cups against Celtic. 

His attitude in refusing to call it quits frustrated the life out of me

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Get rid of Naismith and Damour would be the best bit of business we could do, we could maybe invest the same money on players who deserve it.

If Naismith is still at Hearts come the start of pre season I really hope we come out with a statement removing him as the captain we need someone to captain Hearts who will play week in week out. Craig Gordon or John Souttar or even a new singing who is captain material . 

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

i have to agree

I've said it before as well but he single-handedly cost us two Scottish cups against Celtic

His attitude in refusing to call it quits frustrated the life out of me

The bit in bold is nonsense. In the 2019 final, it was Peter Haring's injury that left our back four exposed.

In the 2020 final, Kingsley and Wighton score their penalties and it's game over.

No-one single handedly cost us those games.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If Naismith is still at Hearts come the start of pre season I really hope we come out with a statement removing him as the captain we need someone to captain Hearts who will play week in week out. Craig Gordon or John Souttar or even a new singing who is captain material . 

We do need someone that will play every week but John Souttar might not be that person.  
Gordon as team captain and club captain if Naismith retires. 

Pasquale for King

Get rid of Naismith and Damour would be the best bit of business we could do, we could maybe invest the same money on players who deserve it.

Could you email Bob the Nob a plan on how to do that?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We do need someone that will play every week but John Souttar might not be that person.  
Gordon as team captain and club captain if Naismith retires. 

Cant be arsed with this team captain club captain crap I've seen teams who have this just have Craig as the Captain then. Can't be arsed with Naismith either. Never liked him at Kilmarnock Rangers and Everton and I haven't been bothered with him at Hearts too greeting face disaster.

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Naismith is coaching as well now. He is also a player of repute who will undoubtedly draw others in, regardless of what Armchair Pundits think about his wages.

As others mentioned he took a cut as well, wont be anywhere near his initial pay packet. Keep for the bigger picture rather than the blinkered one

The Apprentice
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I agree last season wasn’t his finest, but saying he’s finished is a bit dramatic. Would walk into any other team below old firm. Will still score goals

Only if he plays up top as a traditional no.9 IMO. He was a man down most of the time when he was shunted wide or asked to play a deeper role. He still has the ability to get himself into good areas and make a nuisance of himself as a central striker.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

The bit in bold is nonsense. In the 2019 final, it was Peter Haring's injury that left our back four exposed.

In the 2020 final, Kingsley and Wighton score their penalties and it's game over.

No-one single handedly cost us those games.

Not at all. I fully stand by it. watch both their goals here:

fully to blame for letting Edoaurd get close to Bobby, and the second an embarrassing attempt to swipe the ball away. 

In the final 2020, he jumps with his hands up in the air for their penalty. Stupidity from a player of his experience. If he kept his hands down we'd have won that game 2-1 in 90 minutes and no need for pens.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

Cant be arsed with this team captain club captain crap I've seen teams who have this just have Craig as the Captain then. Can't be arsed with Naismith. 

It seems the players can’t be arsed with him either, if they actually listened to him and carried out his instructions they would be better players and we would be more successful. I can imagine Neilson would love to get rid of him as he’s everything that he isn’t. 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, The Apprentice said:

Only if he plays up top as a traditional no.9 IMO. He was a man down most of the time when he was shunted wide or asked to play a deeper role. He still has the ability to get himself into good areas and make a nuisance of himself as a central striker.

yep, he's a striker not a midfielder

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Not at all. I fully stand by it. watch both their goals here:

fully to blame for letting Edoaurd get close to Bobby, and the second an embarrassing attempt to swipe the ball away. 

In the final 2020, he jumps with his hands up in the air for their penalty. Stupidity from a player of his experience. If he kept his hands down we'd have won that game 2-1 in 90 minutes and no need for pens.

Have a look at Souttar at both goals also. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Most people can see this, unfortunately the guy that picks the team and tactics can’t. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It seems the players can’t be arsed with him either, if they actually listened to him and carried out his instructions they would be better players and we would be more successful. I can imagine Neilson would love to get rid of him as he’s everything that he isn’t. 

I think you are imagining a lot there. 😄

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Have a look at Souttar at both goals also. 

Souttar having to pick up from Berras slack

Berra only to blame i think

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think you are imagining a lot there. 😄

Sorry if your lack of football knowledge can’t see it. 
Listening to him on the dodgy streams with no commentary you can hear him directing everyone and they largely ignore him. Whether they can’t be arsed with him is up for debate, the rest is fact. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Most people can see this, unfortunately the guy that picks the team and tactics can’t. 

So he should drop Boyce then? Or are you saying Boyce-Naismith in a 4-4-2 ? Because iirc that’s been tried on a few occasions this season

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Souttar having to pick up from Berras slack

Berra only to blame i think

If you watch the final again their only tactic was the ball in behind Souttar for the diver because he’s a ball watcher, it’s his biggest fault. Berra was covering for him when the hopeless GK made a crazy challenge and allowed the Heid to dive. 

davemclaren

Listening to him on the dodgy streams with no commentary you can hear him directing everyone and they largely ignore him. Whether they can’t be arsed with him is up for debate, the rest is fact. 

You have a strange definition of fact, as usual. 😂

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So he should drop Boyce then? Or are you saying Boyce-Naismith in a 4-4-2 ? Because iirc that’s been tried on a few occasions this season

I think he comes on for or with Boyce.  Don't see them both starting often, but certainly could.  I'd like Boyce and Gnando to form a partnership personally.

Do many teams in Scotland have the quality of Naismith as essentially a backup?  Do they ffffffff.   So there's the toss up, is he worth keeping to give us proper quality in depth, or do we try to lay him off and need to replace him with another 3rd choice CF, who I would suggest wouln't be as good.  Unless of course, we let him go and bring in another starter who would need to be better than Boyce and/or Gnando.

It's basically not the area of our team I'd be looking at changing.  We have 2 good starters, one of them very good.  We have 2 adequate backups, one of them still capable of grabbing a game by the scruff, the other a young guy who can be explosive when confident.

It's ALL about feeding these guys.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Anyone that’s seen Boyce or read his comments about not enjoying running the channels would know that’s he’s not a number 9, he didn’t even want the jersey. He can’t play with his back to goal, he’s much better suited playing off someone facing the opposition goal. Preferably someone that can go in behind but he and Naismith would be better switched around, we didn’t play that way at all last season. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You have a strange definition of fact, as usual. 😂

You have no clue about football as usual, just play the man not the topic. 

4 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Hearing could well be a signing announcement today ! No name given but that's what was just told

4 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye something is happening today. Maybe more than something, plural. 

@Jamboj1   anynews for today?   

tenor.gif

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think he comes on for or with Boyce.  Don't see them both starting often, but certainly could.  I'd like Boyce and Gnando to form a partnership personally.

Do many teams in Scotland have the quality of Naismith as essentially a backup?  Do they ffffffff.   So there's the toss up, is he worth keeping to give us proper quality in depth, or do we try to lay him off and need to replace him with another 3rd choice CF, who I would suggest wouln't be as good.  Unless of course, we let him go and bring in another starter who would need to be better than Boyce and/or Gnando.

It's basically not the area of our team I'd be looking at changing.  We have 2 good starters, one of them very good.  We have 2 adequate backups, one of them still capable of grabbing a game by the scruff, the other a young guy who can be explosive when confident.

It's ALL about feeding these guys.

Spot on, if he does go a pacy forward might be an idea unless GMS is playing up top with Boyce and Gnanduillet. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You have no clue about football as usual, just play the man not the topic. 

You made that whole ‘topic’ up. 😂

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly the same as every other manager of every other team then.

Sorry I mentioned Naismith. I was just saying even though we have shed a lot of dross off the wage bill, some of the highest wages we are getting little return from. Naismith, Walker, Damour wages could transform the team into something good.

33 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As a player yes, the last 2 years he has been up there with the worst Center halves I have ever seen play for Hearts. It’s not personal hatred for him as a person, it’s the performances. He’s been met with total derision from Hearts fans for 2+ years while picking up the top wages the club can pay. It’s been sad to see. Levein should never have given him that sympathy extension, clear as day from game 1 after his injury that he was ****ed. 

Berra was one of the best centre backs in Scotland prior to his injury but the decision to hand a 33 year old who was out with a serious injury a 3 year contract was absolutely ridiculous.  He was here to finish his career with us, it's not like he was going anywhere else.

Batistuta87

First goal Souttar was napping. If he'd known where Edouard was he could have tracked him into the box and Bobby wouldn't have came out. Reckless on Bobby's part, but Berra should have given him a shout to let him know he was coming across to cover. If he did and Bobby has ignored the shout then that's his fault but a well timed tackle from Berra (which he's perfectly capable of) and the threat is dealt with. Bobby should also have saved the pen. 2nd goal was all Berra. Basically blame his injury for that one, because if he hadn't done his hammy previously, he might have been able to stretch to block the through ball. 

Absolute Scenes
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you watch the final again their only tactic was the ball in behind Souttar for the diver because he’s a ball watcher, it’s his biggest fault. Berra was covering for him when the hopeless GK made a crazy challenge and allowed the Heid to dive. 

I honestly can’t hold Souter to blame for their goals. The second one, all Berra needs to do is connect with the ball and it goes through him

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Exactly the same as every other manager of every other team then.

Not sure what you mean? He’s not the manager? If they do ignore the manager they get moved on. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Sorry I mentioned Naismith. I was just saying even though we have shed a lot of dross off the wage bill, some of the highest wages we are getting little return from. Naismith, Walker, Damour wages could transform the team into something good.

Yep there’s between 5-10 grand a week wages right there, for not a lot of contributions to the team. Leveins legacy. Certainly wouldn’t shed much of a tear if all 3 found new clubs this summer, but I expect all 3 will see out their lucrative contracts 

I think we have Naismith for the duration, bud. 

Lucrative contract, 2 years left, coaching position...who's going to lure him from us with a similar offer?

Probably the same story with Damour.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I honestly can’t hold Souter to blame for their goals. The second one, all Berra needs to do is connect with the ball and it goes through him

Well that’s on you then, who is Souttar actually worried about, the guy on his right or the guy through the middle with the ball. You can’t let someone walk through to score. If anything he should’ve tried to show him on his left. 
Berra shouldn’t have went for the header. 
The first goal is on his side of the pitch, he’s a big a part in it as the other two. He has a lot to learn. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, martoon said:

Lucrative contract, 2 years left, coaching position...who's going to lure him from us with a similar offer?

GUess the hope with Damour is he's still young enough to go play regular at a decent level.  It'd be whether he wants to.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

First goal Souttar was napping. If he'd known where Edouard was he could have tracked him into the box and Bobby wouldn't have came out. Reckless on Bobby's part, but Berra should have given him a shout to let him know he was coming across to cover. If he did and Bobby has ignored the shout then that's his fault but a well timed tackle from Berra (which he's perfectly capable of) and the threat is dealt with. Bobby should also have saved the pen. 2nd goal was all Berra. Basically blame his injury for that one, because if he hadn't done his hammy previously, he might have been able to stretch to block the through ball. 

Agree with the first bit but Souttar has to do better, he did nothing. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Naismith has said he might retire, Damour is a year into his. 

Just now, TheBigO said:

GUess the hope with Damour is he's still young enough to go play regular at a decent level.  It'd be whether he wants to.

I think our best hope is a French club/homesickness combination.

🙏

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

1st goal looks like Souttar is trying to play offside. It's hard to tell but if Smith, Souttar and Hickey are in line there, then Berra is playing Eduoard onside. Nevertheless it wasn't a penalty. 

The 2nd one is because the midfield didn't win the 2nd ball and yes Berra makes a mistake but the midfield should have done better. 

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well that’s on you then, who is Souttar actually worried about, the guy on his right or the guy through the middle with the ball. You can’t let someone walk through to score. If anything he should’ve tried to show him on his left. 
Berra shouldn’t have went for the header. 
The first goal is on his side of the pitch, he’s a big a part in it as the other two. He has a lot to learn. 

I stand by my initial opinion in that Berra cost us both finals. Whilst you can argue Souttar did this and that, he's where he is supposed to be. Berra doesnt get close enough to Eduard meaning Bobby is more inclined to stay in his goal, and fresh air swipes a simple ball to him. Souttar cant be blamed for the fact that Eduard is then one on one, when its Berra's mistake that got him there. 

Anyway this is a transfer thread and dont want derail it

Any signings please

21 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

@Jamboj1   anynews for today?   

tenor.gif

I was told along with the kit and sponsor stuff we would have 2 in for pre season starting and we expected 1 this week to be announced not heard anything different 👍🏻

Naismith has said he might retire, Damour is a year into his

🤣

I'd hope that retiring from playing would be reflected in his salary but I fear that it won't. 

Wouldn't surprise me if his 4 year deal included the possibility of giving up playing at some point but that the salary would remain intact.

Very Levein-esque I would suggest.

Not having a pop at Naismith, btw. Quality player but there's absolutely no doubt that his days as an on field asset are numbered.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***