• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Did anyone actually write him off though? I was one of his worst critics of his performances but I never once thought he was past it. Just not deserving of his starting berth week after week on seemingly reputation alone. Which also was proved correct when he started playing better after a period of being dropped to the bench. Not sure anyone thought we made a mistake signing him, just thought it was a mistake to continually start with someone who was clearly nowhere near match fit.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

GMS has so far played what ? 15 games, almost all against pub teams and 2/3rds of those were anonymous stinkers.

Let’s see him against better opposition week in week out (the reason he was brought in) before we write him off or hail him as a star.

🤷‍♂️

BackOfTheNet
28 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Confident of a signing before page 365 but don`t quote me on that.

Bold prediction I say. I don’t expect anyone before Stirling and usually after a game there’s a lot of talk about what we need and where which will up the pages I think.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well I didn’t anyway! :laugh4:

Never mind the years of class now he plays for Hearts, not to be appreciated  :lol:

jamboinglasgow
51 minutes ago, the general said:

Errm anyway any transfer news?

silence but based on what Savage says with the clampdown on leaks, it will be quiet for a bit longer.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

GMS has so far played what ? 15 games, almost all against pub teams and 2/3rds of those were anonymous stinkers.

Let’s see him against better opposition week in week out (the reason he was brought in) before we write him off or hail him as a star.

And perhaps we can afford McEneff the same opportunity,  which was the posters point.

Rick Sanchez

Everton have just pipped us to the signing of Andros Townsend ffs. Another target we've missed out on. Get a grip Savage!

7 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We need a Pressley or Hartley type in the squad.

Folk that really hate to lose and will give their team mates a bollocking if needed.

My thoughts exactly m8 

8 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We need a Pressley or Hartley type in the squad.

Folk that really hate to lose and will give their team mates a bollocking if needed.

That's always something I remember about the 2012 squad, as a team we didn't exactly have great quality, but the likes of McGowan, Zaliukas, Webster, Grainger, Black, Suso and Skacel were just the most dislikable ***** to the likes of Dunfermline fans and St Johnstone fans. 

:jjyay:

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, iainmac said:

He doesn't seem to influence the game in whatever formation we're playing. Worrying. 

Yes.... thats  the disappointing part.  Savage said at the time that he'd wanted to sign him for Norwich or Preston, so he was pleased that it was 3rd time lucky to get him now.  The proverbial "box to box" midfielder with a goal threat .... or words to that effect.       He looks a competent player - no doubt about that - but hasn't done much  to suggest anything beyond that.     His poker face lack of emotion during games makes it hard to judge whether he's actually enjoying playing for Hearts  or if he's pissed off at the role he's been given by Robbie.  

As someone said above, maybe an incoming new player might help him to become more influential.

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes.... thats  the disappointing part.  Savage said at the time that he'd wanted to sign him for Norwich or Preston, so he was pleased that it was 3rd time lucky to get him now.  The proverbial "box to box" midfielder with a goal threat .... or words to that effect.       He looks a competent player - no doubt about that - but hasn't done much  to suggest anything beyond that.     His poker face lack of emotion during games makes it hard to judge whether he's actually enjoying playing for Hearts  or if he's pissed off at the role he's been given by Robbie.  

As someone said above, maybe an incoming new player might help him to become more influential.

There’s something about McEneff that really intrigues me, I honestly think that he’s one of those players who can be fantastic under the right manager. 

Something about the exuberance that he showed in his early performances just caught my eye. I really hope that Robbie can get the best out of him because in an attacking sense I think he could really do something in this team in the same vain that the questionable signing, Paul Hartley was able to do

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

There’s something about McEneff that really intrigues me, I honestly think that he’s one of those players who can be fantastic under the right manager. 

Something about the exuberance that he showed in his early performances just caught my eye. I really hope that Robbie can get the best out of him because in an attacking sense I think he could really do something in this team in the same vain that the questionable signing, Paul Hartley was able to do

Agreed.  And as we know, Sir Paul was underwhelming for a good wee while after CL signed him.  Took nearly a year before we started to see him blossom.   It would be great if Aaron could achieve that level of performance & influence at some stage this season.  👍

3 hours ago, graham said:

That was also my thought.

IIRC Pat Byrne came from Man Utd but I could be wrong. 

*Edit*

According to Wikipedia, Pat came from Leicester City so not directly from LOI. 

Edited by iainmac

JamboAndrew
45 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Everton have just pipped us to the signing of Andros Townsend ffs. Another target we've missed out on. Get a grip Savage!

I was pissed he messed up the Messi signing as well.

At this rate Haaland is going to sail past us as well.

Someone oot!

1 hour ago, db211833 said:

And perhaps we can afford McEneff the same opportunity,  which was the posters point.

I think we can have an opinion both having seen a fair bit of both.

For me, both need a system that suits them. Try and play them in any other role or position and you lose most of their effectiveness.

Mceneff in particular. Wasted in any kind of holding role for me. He isn’t box to box as we were told he was. Attacker of a midfield 3 or tip of the Christmas tree for me.

GMS. A confidence player if ever there was one. Proven at the top level but awfully inconsistent and hot and cold. He’ll have very good games and very poor games and not much in between IMO. Unplayable or unselectable if you like.

Auldbenches
21 minutes ago, iainmac said:

IIRC Pat Byrne came from Man Utd but I could be wrong. 

*Edit*

According to Wikipedia, Pat came from Leicester City so not directly from LOI. 

He definitely came from Leicester.  Before coming to us he scored the Wii er in a game that ended a huge unbeaten run for liverpool.  

I was a bit young to remember if he was any good.  Only lasting memory is him scoring a penalty at clydebank.  

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Exactly.

17 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Folk that really hate to lose and will give their team a bollocking if needed.

Need that in the support.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, pointon said:

Well Monday is here will one of the apparent 2 sign today ?

We’d all love to see something, but with a game tomorrow I’m still saying nothing will be announced until Wednesday at the earliest. Personally I just have a feeling nothing will happen until after ICT. Debatable if anyone before Celtic either.

Under the floodlight
1 hour ago, pointon said:

Yes, it's Monday.

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, pointon said:

No 🤭

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No 🤭

Is almost certainly the correct answer. As Sir Gio says above, RN's comments in the EEN point to a longer wait.

Ronald Villiers

Andy Carroll left Newcastle.  Wonder if he'd consider a move to us as a wow signing.

4 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Andy Carroll left Newcastle.  Wonder if he'd consider a move to us as a wow signing.

our physios have been busy enough.

Robbo-Jambo
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Reading RN comments this morning still a waiting game 

This waiting game for players to make up their minds up about signing contracts kind of contradicts the message of Savage that players will be told to jog on if they don't want to play for us. 🤔

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Would be a big wow and probably the sort of big battling lump of a striker that we need. Boyce and Carroll would be lethal. But I reckon the likes of Celtic and Rangers would take him and would be able to pay him so much more. He's made his money like, but imagine he won't play for free...

Edited by Batistuta87

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This waiting game for players to make up their minds up about signing contracts kind of contradicts the message of Savage that players will be told to jog on if they don't want to play for us. 🤔

Correction, players will be told to jog on if they try to hold the club to ransom and squeeze money we are not prepared to pay. 

Unknown user
On 18/07/2021 at 09:06, Australis said:

Going by Robbies recent signings there are no old, has been crocks or journeyman looking for their last big 3 or 4 year contract on the market at all just now.

I am dreading him getting more money to waste.

Might as well no bother this season eh?

Howdy Doody Jambo
16 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I'm sure he would, big Jambo 

A_A wehatethehibs

Big thing about the remainder of the window, I look at ourselves with the Jordan Roberts situation. Consider the fact that plenty other clubs will have players in that same situation.

As of right now he is here, training, looking to fight for a place and show his quality to the manager and be in our team. But it is not a guarantee he will be in our team, far from it.

So some other clubs may be interested in taking him even as late as deadline day. By August 31st he will have a much better idea where he stands here, whether he's going to be playing or not, and if he's not going to play he will look to move. A stick or twist decision for the player. 

There will be squad players in similar situations around the country who will be at clubs, under contract, going through pre season. They don't know if they'll be in their team yet, but over the coming month or so it will become clear. Once player A or player B sees feels he is out of favour at club X or club Z, he might want to come somewhere like Hearts where there are open slots in our starting 11. Just as Ross County or someone may become interested in taking Roberts if he's not going to get a game here and wants to get away to play games. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Big thing about the remainder of the window, I look at ourselves with the Jordan Roberts situation. Consider the fact that plenty other clubs will have players in that same situation.

As of right now he is here, training, looking to fight for a place and show his quality to the manager and be in our team. But it is not a guarantee he will be in our team, far from it.

So some other clubs may be interested in taking him even as late as deadline day. By August 31st he will have a much better idea where he stands here, whether he's going to be playing or not, and if he's not going to play he will look to move. A stick or twist decision for the player. 

There will be squad players in similar situations around the country who will be at clubs, under contract, going through pre season. They don't know if they'll be in their team yet, but over the coming month or so it will become clear. Once player A or player B sees feels he is out of favour at club X or club Z, he might want to come somewhere like Hearts where there are open slots in our starting 11. Just as Ross County or someone may become interested in taking Roberts if he's not going to get a game here and wants to get away to play games. 

Far far too sensible! We want signings and want them now!! Robbie oot, Savage oot, Budge oot, Lancefield oot and anybody else for that matter OOT!!

8 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Far far too sensible! We want signings and want them now!! Robbie oot, Savage oot, Budge oot, Lancefield oot and anybody else for that matter OOT!!

You would agree though, that signing players maybe 8 or 9 games into the competitive season isn’t ideal though yes ? Then we get a period when they need to reach full fitness, then another period where they have to ‘settle’(10 games total it was for GMS) and before you know it you’ve gone through 10-12 league games, a third of the season nearly, and your flawed signing strategy has had an impact it’s hard to recover from.

Robbo-Jambo
28 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Correction, players will be told to jog on if they try to hold the club to ransom and squeeze money we are not prepared to pay. 

Listened to it again and you are correct. 👍

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

The lack of signings lies fully at the door of Thatcher!

Ronald Villiers
30 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be a big wow and probably the sort of big battling lump of a striker that we need. Boyce and Carroll would be lethal. But I reckon the likes of Celtic and Rangers would take him and would be able to pay him so much more. He's made his money like, but imagine he won't play for free...

True mate.  

7 minutes ago, Simo said:

Andy Carroll was on 90k a week at West Ham... 

And injured himself opening a Christmas present 😀

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***