Kyle Lafferty

Gary Locke

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Wouldn’t that basically just mean we could rely on Boyce to score more goals? 

You’d buy players to build a team around Lafferty?

Could Boyce not do with some help up front? 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• been here before

• Shaggy2

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, heartmussel said:

64 years old,scored a cracking header in the park with my grandson last night,could still do a job? Let’s move on from all this  bring them back nonsense.Let’s move on and learn from our past mistakes.

I saw it.  You were a mile offside.  No wonder your grandson was raging.  😂

Proven goalscorer wanted to come to a club he knows well which has a major problem in scoring goals.  Would have cost us nothing. 

What did we say?

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Proven goalscorer wanted to come to a club he knows well which has a major problem in scoring goals.  Would have cost us nothing. 

What did we say?

Caused major bother for the person who pays the wages so she doesn’t want him back. It’s her choice as an employer. 

Nobody would turn their nose up at Lafferty the footballer, it’s Lafferty the person who isn’t welcome back. He’s not a big enough improvement on Boyce, if he even is an improvement, to justify ditching her morals for.

1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

Caused major bother for the person who pays the wages so she doesn’t want him back. It’s her choice as an employer. 

Nobody would turn their nose up at Lafferty the footballer, it’s Lafferty the person who isn’t welcome back. He’s not a big enough improvement on Boyce, if he even is an improvement, to justify ditching her morals for.

I don't know what he did.  Honestly.

4 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Kind of all adds weight to the theory that he did something at Hearts that has resulted in the club not wanting him back under any circumstances. He would not have been hard to deal with and it was a no brainer even if we trusted him a tiny wee bit. 
Add that to his cheerleading when they came back from a goal down to beat us 2-1 where he was a bit Elvis like and prompted Berra to call him classless. 
I believe part of the Rangers deal was that Hearts/Budge recouped money they’d paid out on his gambling debts so in real terms his contract was worth more but his take home may have been less. 

@KiwidougFrom what I heard the bottom paragraph of this is the crux of it. Hearts were holding out for a good deal for us but Lafferty was becoming impatient to get back to his beloved Rangers. All fair enough but he seemingly upset Ann Budge with an ultimatum regarding money and tried to force Hearts into taking a worse deal. 

heartmussel
39 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I saw it.  You were a mile offside.  No wonder your grandson was raging.  😂

Still sore😂

Tom Hardy’s Dug
55 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Could Boyce not do with some help up front? 

Who knows what gnando could do with decent service?

I know you’d like a Rangers guy in - but why not allow the new guy a chance to prove himself with decent players giving him chances instead of him having to create everything himself - in addition to the fact the Boyce is having to do that also.

Forever Hearts
23 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Who knows what gnando could do with decent service?

I know you’d like a Rangers guy in - but why not allow the new guy a chance to prove himself with decent players giving him chances instead of him having to create everything himself - in addition to the fact the Boyce is having to do that also.

You know I'd like a Rangers guy in? What's that meant to mean? 

3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I implied that we'd have won the Scottish Cup if we had signed him? Away and don't talk nonsense. 😂

Thats exactly what you implied intended or not 🙈

6 hours ago, Mighty jam said:

I would absolutely have him back. he is a great natural finisher always composed in front of goal, always tries to place ball low and rarely blazes over. Example to kids (and a lot of our current team) on how to finish always seems difficult for defenders to handle with his size and range.

Maybe watch some highlights of him and say that 🙈 hes a great finisher of difficult chances he misses some horrendous ones. St Johnstone springs to mind immediately

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Wouldn’t that basically just mean we could rely on Boyce to score more goals? 

You’d buy players to build a team around Lafferty?

Not like Gnando has insanely quick feet or anything either. Lets **** Gnando off who has a decent scoring record but needs to up his work rate and Boyce and sign Laff to build the team around instead. Here Ann big Dave from doon the Diggers says Laffs the answer to all our problems...not just football but in life.

”Quick sign him up”

Then when we sign him and he cant be arsed training or wants a day off then the following game does nothing which he did quite a lot against lower teams in the division we can all bitch and moan at the club for not signing young hungry players instead.

He had a good spell with us we got decent money for him but he (and i say this as someone who adored his sister) was at times a complete arsehole. This hed have scored against Alloa and Brora and done x y and z to mean we won every game we lost is bollox. He scored against Peterhead and we lost for instance...

I like Laff but no thanks

Edited by sadj

been here before
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Maybe watch some highlights of him and say that 🙈 hes a great finisher of difficult chances he misses some horrendous ones. St Johnstone springs to mind immediately

Aye but the trick is to ignore the stuff that points toward the fact he might not be what some want him to be.

Just now, been here before said:

Aye but the trick is to ignore the stuff that points toward the fact he might not be what some want him to be.

Ok so we only go by good things. So goal v Hibs , Celtic etc , ignore he played in the Peterhead defeat , cost us points in games with horrendous misses and although I like him the fact he can be a complete arsehole. Also the fact everyone on here wants to sign young hungry players and moans about journeymen.

Well in that case lets sign him up.

Tbh I think he’d score goals but would he be good around the club I dont know , I doubt it and is he better than Boyce? (No) is he better than Gnando (with service 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wouldn’t have made much odds this season and would hope we’re going younger for next season 

Good player though 

BackOfTheNet

When Lafferty was touted last window (as he always is) I said then what has proven to be true. We didn’t need him to win the league. So it would’ve been a waste of wages. Now you could say we wouldn’t have needed Gnanduillet, perhaps, but come the end of next season Gnanduillet will have just turned 30, Lafferty will be 34 coming up to 35.

Signings aren’t always made with the immediate in mind, particularly an expensive wage, historically unreliable and before his stint with Kilmarnock hardly banging them in striker. Kilmarnock were facing relegation and saw him as a risk worth taking. We had no need to take a risk when in the Championship - as has been proven even with a Manager like Neilson and the horrible football we’ve played we have proven the league was winnable. So any signings we made had to benefit this season yes, but particularly with future

seasons in mind. Signing Lafferty this season would have been entirely unnecessary (again, as proved) and he’s not got much time left so better to invest in players that can give us more than one season should they continue to keep extending their contracts.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

When Lafferty was touted last window (as he always is) I said then what has proven to be true. We didn’t need him to win the league. So it would’ve been a waste of wages. Now you could say we wouldn’t have needed Gnanduillet, perhaps, but come the end of next season Gnanduillet will have just turned 30, Lafferty will be 34 coming up to 35.

Signings aren’t always made with the immediate in mind, particularly an expensive wage, historically unreliable and before his stint with Kilmarnock hardly banging them in striker. Kilmarnock were facing relegation and saw him as a risk worth taking. We had no need to take a risk when in the Championship - as has been proven even with a Manager like Neilson and the horrible football we’ve played we have proven the league was winnable. So any signings we made had to benefit this season yes, but particularly with future

seasons in mind. Signing Lafferty this season would have been entirely unnecessary (again, as proved) and he’s not got much time left so better to invest in players that can give us more than one season should they continue to keep extending their contracts.

Hi BOTN , seriously,do you think Gnanduillet will have what’s needed?

ps , not nitpicking just genuinely interested in your thoughts for the coming season 🤔

11 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

He's only on a short term contract at Killie but Tommy Wright said last night that he wants to sign him at the end of the season. 

He might be 33 now but I would have no problem with giving him a years contract. I'm convinced he would be in double figures by the end of the season of we did. 

Totaly agree.

Good thread with some reasonable on-topic debate.

My take (reading between the lines having read various press reports, JKB speculation etc.) is that we did a lot to support Lafferty as a person and the minute Sevco came sniffing around he forced through the move and Budge feels he burnt his bridges so as a result will not consider having him back under any circumstances. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 21/04/2021 at 21:16, Malinga the Swinga said:

Other than games v Celtic, Lafferty barely broke sweat when playing for us. 

The vast majority were happy when he left and didn't want him back. 

He has had good few games with Lillie and now he is messiah. 

No guarantee his efforts would have been same here.

Wow. Most prolific in maroon since robbo. No guarantees though !

BackOfTheNet
14 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Hi BOTN , seriously,do you think Gnanduillet will have what’s needed?

ps , not nitpicking just genuinely interested in your thoughts for the coming season 🤔

I think he has the attributes to play well in the Premiership. In fact playing to his strengths could see him get anywhere between 10-15 goals I would say. He’d need to play in a proper system with a tactically astute manager for that to happen though. Also he and Boyce still seem to be disconnected and haven’t quite formed a partnership yet. Good news is he’s 29 so effective in his prime and we’re seeing him at a time where he hadn’t played much. So maybe with a pre-season and getting used to his teammates he’ll step up a notch (not that he hasn’t been good as it is, his record is just under 1 goal every 2 games).

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Good thread with some reasonable on-topic debate.

My take (reading between the lines having read various press reports, JKB speculation etc.) is that we did a lot to support Lafferty as a person and the minute Sevco came sniffing around he forced through the move and Budge feels he burnt his bridges so as a result will not consider having him back under any circumstances. 

I think it is openly confirmed that we took him on a two year deal with a gentleman’s agreement that we would sell him at the end of his first season if he wanted/was wanted elsewhere - also he was still getting £30k a month from Norwich at the time (but only for that first season) as part of his departure deal from Norwich (as he made great pains in making sure all the young lads were made aware).

The above I know to be true.

The following is rumour but discussed/hinted at by some people on here who seem to have reliable links - he still got into bother with gambling when at Hearts and Ann personally helped him out to some extent then he kind of shat on her.

So not substantiated but others can take that ball and run with it if they want.

If Savage is any good at his job we can do so much better than him as a whole.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Certainly could use him as backup, he is a better player than Gnanduillet. 

In what way is he a better player though? Is it purely the goals, or are you taking into account all round play? Gnanduillet has not played 90 minutes of every game but has 5 in 12 (almost 1 every 2) and assists - Lafferty infamously never provided one assist in a Hearts shirt. Hold up play, heading, defensive work? What is it that makes him a better player?

I’m not sure either way by the way. Gnanduillet came in after months of not playing and is probably still not 100% fit, but despite that and playing in a team bereft of confidence and not playing well, his record is decent to say the least.

38 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not like Gnando has insanely quick feet or anything either. Lets **** Gnando off who has a decent scoring record but needs to up his work rate and Boyce and sign Laff to build the team around instead. Here Ann big Dave from doon the Diggers says Laffs the answer to all our problems...not just football but in life.

”Quick sign him up”

Then when we sign him and he cant be arsed training or wants a day off then the following game does nothing which he did quite a lot against lower teams in the division we can all bitch and moan at the club for not signing young hungry players instead.

He had a good spell with us we got decent money for him but he (and i say this as someone who adored his sister) was at times a complete arsehole. This hed have scored against Alloa and Brora and done x y and z to mean we won every game we lost is bollox. He scored against Peterhead and we lost for instance...

I like Laff but no thanks

Precisely.

The guy is a good player but 

only good when he can be arsed!

looked completely disinterested in many games 

I get why folks want him back when we’ve been so crap but to me he’s not the answer 

we need a team motivated, hungry, organised, cohesive, with a better blend of youth and experience than we’ve had and tactically set up to give the defence a midfield they can pass to and bloody forwards who get sight of the ball near enough the goals to shoot!

maybe I view football too simply?!

I think gnando is a better all round player and hopefully with a good pre season behind him we will see a big difference. Time Passed for Kyle. Think we have enough ex rangers at the club

I’m going to get slated for this but I wouldn’t have Kyle Lafferty back at our club. Yes, he’s playing well at killie & scoring goals but he was given a chance with us when no one wanted him. We took him with the baggage he came with. I didn’t see his boyhood club want him then. He played well in patches though could be lazy at times also & given he did score important goals in big games. However, for that season 2017/18, we idolised him yet when Sevco came calling he threw the goodwill of the club & the fans to the side of the road & went to ibrox to become a bit part player, warming the bench regularly when as I mentioned before was an important player to us & a fans favourite. The whole “but he signed for his boyhood club” doesn’t wash with me & he rubbed salt into the wounds when he returned as a rangers player with his antics at the end of the match. Of course we are crying out for a proven goal scorer & better players for next season but what we don’t need is someone coming in who has the baggage that Lafferty has, disrupting things as bad as they are just now & perhaps jumping ship again if a better offer came along. So for me it’s a big NO. 

ShortmanRossco
5 minutes ago, ElGee1973 said:

I’m going to get slated for this but I wouldn’t have Kyle Lafferty back at our club. Yes, he’s playing well at killie & scoring goals but he was given a chance with us when no one wanted him. We took him with the baggage he came with. I didn’t see his boyhood club want him then. He played well in patches though could be lazy at times also & given he did score important goals in big games. However, for that season 2017/18, we idolised him yet when Sevco came calling he threw the goodwill of the club & the fans to the side of the road & went to ibrox to become a bit part player, warming the bench regularly when as I mentioned before was an important player to us & a fans favourite. The whole “but he signed for his boyhood club” doesn’t wash with me & he rubbed salt into the wounds when he returned as a rangers player with his antics at the end of the match. Of course we are crying out for a proven goal scorer & better players for next season but what we don’t need is someone coming in who has the baggage that Lafferty has, disrupting things as bad as they are just now & perhaps jumping ship again if a better offer came along. So for me it’s a big NO. 

Couldn't agree more. As much as I think he could offer something as a player he'd sell us out as quickly and I think part of our problem just now is we don't have that many players who look like they are disappointed when we have a shite result. Obviously not our biggest issue but it's one that's pissed me off all season. 

Greedy Jambo

Tommy Wright is getting the best out of him. 

A manager that i put forward instead of Neilson and got slated for. 

You can all gtf. 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

We need players that despise Hibs and Celtic, imo.

Helps if they’re willing to bust a gut against the others too though surely?

Just now, topsport said:

Helps if they’re willing to bust a gut against the others too though surely?

Of course it does.  👍

I was being mildly sardonic.

Just now, topsport said:

👍 and apologies for calling you Shirley 😁

Not a problem, sir.  👍

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can all gtf. 

Levin arguably also got the best out of him. Better than any other manager in recent years.

Also, at present he is only playing bottom 6

teams

As you were.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

He is one of so many we let go. 

We had agreed to sell him after season 1 when he signed and we got good money for him and he basically said he’d down tools if he didn’t get his move to rangers

But apart from that - spot on 👍

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Levin arguably also got the best out of him. Better than any other manager in recent years.

Also, at present he is only playing bottom 6

teams

As you were.

Agreed.

That's why i made a poll on who is better, Levein or Neilson. 

22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can all gtf. 

Take it Ann went for Robbie instead of your nomination. Ouch 

Lone Striker
22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can all gtf. 

🤣    On the other hand, a certain Craig Levein got the best out of him too.   Just sayin'  😉

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Lone Striker said:

🤣    On the other hand, a certain Craig Levein got the best out of him too.   Just sayin'  😉

You lot are on drugs. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You lot are on drugs. 

read the stats for Lafferty’s career mate - don’t let hatred blind you

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

read the stats for Lafferty’s career mate - don’t let hatred blind you

Oh, the stats. fair enough. 

A lot of good the stats have done for us right enough. haha.