• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• DH1986

• GinRummy

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Bit disappointing how his development has panned out, failed to stand out at a lower level whilst on loans. Our golden trio of Cochrane, McDonald and Leonard seem to have all gotten carried away with their own hype and not put the work in to succeed. Still time for all three though if they roll their sleeves up

• davemclaren changed the title to Harry Cochrane leaving

Quite sad about this too. Him and McDonald came thru at the same time and both departed, he probably thought would get punted out on loan again next season

Jean Louis Valois

Shame he couldn't kick on, and quite sad to see him go. Surprised its his decision rather than the clubs though.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Very disappointed with this along with Anthony McDonald earlier in the season! Be aswell shutting down the academy 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Very disappointed with this along with Anthony McDonald earlier in the season! Be aswell shutting down the academy 

Indeed, no point in Harry Stone either.  

I echo the sentiments of disappointment on this thread but for a different reason however.  I'm disappointed in him.  'That' game got us all excited I am sure and he simply never kicked on from it.  Hearts must take blame for this too, I expect nothing less from Budge's Hearts nowadays but he is in control of his own ability etc.  Hearts will be the biggest club he will ever play for.

Edited by i8hibsh

Rocky jamboa
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Bit disappointing how his development has panned out, failed to stand out at a lower level whilst on loans. Our golden trio of Cochrane, McDonald and Leonard seem to have all gotten carried away with their own hype and not put the work in to succeed. Still time for all three though if they roll their sleeves up

....or not developed properly by the club? 

It's an area we definitely need to look at. Seem to have loads of promising youngsters at the 15/16 age mark but can't get them to the next level. 

Could be nothing but interesting they used a picture of him competing with Regan Hendry in the picture. Maybe subliminal message he is signing 

1 minute ago, Paulp74 said:

....or not developed properly by the club? 

It's an area we definitely need to look at. Seem to have loads of promising youngsters at the 15/16 age mark but can't get them to the next level. 

Think there's only so much the club can do when these lads are out on loan tbh, if you're not doing it with Cowdenbeath and the likes then you're not making it at Hearts and that's on the players shoulders. Folk talk about young players as if they zip up at the back

the general

Really disappointed in this but he was hit by injuries

Remember watching one of his comebacks up at the Orium and he was due to come off after an hour and got crocked on 59 minutes

Disappointed that he did not kick on after his break through.

Not in the slightest surprised that he is leaving though as everywhere he has gone on loan hes never really made an impact.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not unexpected as he hasn't made any impact over the past couple of seasons be it for injury or whatever.

11 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Disappointed by this but feel the lad really didn’t seize his opportunity at Hearts. 

He's not being released. Hearts offered him a new contract. 

girvanjambo

I thought the idea of the Academy producing young talent, was to then further coach them with idea of playing first team football - for Hearts. Not, no disrespect, for Montrose, Cowdenbeath, Raith, or whoever else, which surely nullified any further progress - meanwhile the recruitment team seem only interested in thirty somethings. This isn't Cochrane's fault - he's simply yet another victim of a very flawed coaching regime.

Just now, girvanjambo said:

I thought the idea of the Academy producing young talent, was to then further coach them with idea of playing first team football - for Hearts. Not, no disrespect, for Montrose, Cowdenbeath, Raith, or whoever else, which surely nullified any further progress - meanwhile the recruitment team seem only interested in thirty somethings. This isn't Cochrane's fault - he's simply yet another victim of a very flawed coaching regime.

We concentrate more on the lassies academy.  I am not even joking when I say this.

Vlad the impaler

Whether we think he earned a new deal or not the bottom line is the club wanted him to stay,but  yet another youngster either isn’t getting the chance to play for the first team or they aren’t getting developed by the coaches an leaving for peanuts. It’s a recurring theme at our club with younger players and getting to the stage where our academy is pointless

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I echo the sentiments of disappointment on this thread but for a different reason however.  I'm disappointed in him.  'That' game got us all excited I am sure and he simply never kicked on from it.  Hearts must take blame for this too, I expect nothing less from Budge's Hearts nowadays but he is in control of his own ability etc.  Hearts will be the biggest club he will ever play for.

Exactly this.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's not being released. Hearts offered him a new contract. 

Does that mean a development fee is due?

Is it possible that playing these players at 16 was a bad idea as it's given them a belief that they have a divine right to be playing first team football in the top division?

That's two 19 year olds who haven't been willing to prove themselves in order to get a chance in the first team and have left at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps if they were kept out of the first team for a couple more years they would have been more hungry to work

Should have kicked on after that celtic game.

Only 19 years old still.

Very badly managed for years, not to mention some of the dross that have been signed/played ahead of him.

Sad state of affairs with this one.

Just now, davemclaren said:

Does that mean a development fee is due?

6 figure development fee tho don’t know if he went to USA that would be the case for example 

23 minutes ago, lou said:

A bit gutted about this, there is huge talent there, can't help but think we didn't handle his development as well as we should have

This.

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Is it possible that playing these players at 16 was a bad idea as it's given them a belief that they have a divine right to be playing first team football in the top division?

That's two 19 year olds who haven't been willing to prove themselves in order to get a chance in the first team and have left at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps if they were kept out of the first team for a couple more years they would have been more hungry to work

He was not pushed tbf, Harry never played that many games.  He simply does not have what it takes.

Rick Sanchez
12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Could be nothing but interesting they used a picture of him competing with Regan Hendry in the picture. Maybe subliminal message he is signing 

Interesting. Could have used plenty other pictures.

Rocky jamboa
5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Think there's only so much the club can do when these lads are out on loan tbh, if you're not doing it with Cowdenbeath and the likes then you're not making it at Hearts and that's on the players shoulders. Folk talk about young players as if they zip up at the back

There are so many who don't make the step up though. Yeah, the player has a responsibility for his own development and needs to have the right attitude but we've not seen any of these promising youngsters make it.  Our coaching and development at that age group can't be great.

This season was the ideal opportunity to give guys like Moore, cochrane and Henderson more game time and they're lucky if they've had 5 first team starts between them, when we've had huddys like frear and Roberts playing before them who don't look interested. 

Ron Burgundy

I liked him, showed more spirit and desire than the vast majority of the faceless cast of thousands in recent years.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, jambo191 said:

Should have kicked on after that celtic game.

Only 19 years old still.

Very badly managed for years, not to mention some of the dross that have been signed/played ahead of him.

Sad state of affairs with this one.

Care to elaborate how he has been badly managed? Sounds like you have some inside knowledge?

OmiyaHearts

I think both sides need to take responsibly for the lack or development. No players improve at Hearts, at best, one or two a season might show some improvement.

But you canny blame him for not signing a new deal. Why would any young player want to be at Tynecastle?

SuperstarSteve
1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

6 figure development fee tho don’t know if he went to USA that would be the case for example 

No development fee is he goes to the states. Sam Nicholson would be the example. Didn’t receive a penny for him unless I’m mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

A problem for him with level of clubs he might get a chance with. 

siegementality
5 minutes ago, girvanjambo said:

I’m not convinced that sending young players out on loan to lower league teams is the way forward. It seems a very old fashioned notion and one that hasn’t reaped any rewards for some considerable time. 

Maybe if we had a manager who didn’t shite the bed every week he might have developed a few youngsters this year. We are wasting our time investing in an academy with Neilson in charge. He simply doesn’t have the managerial nouse to get results and nurture young talent at the same time. 

jamboinglasgow

Gutted to see him go. 

I do think we messed up his development the season after his break through (we gave youngsters so many chances (mostly down to necessity but given a chance none the less) then Levein went the complete opposite direction.)

Certainly sounds like Robbie and Savage are disappointed to lose him. He is still only 19 so has plenty time to reach his potential. 

Certainly not good that two talented young midfielders in Irving and Cochrane could leave this summer. Hopefully we sort that out from now on.

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Another player who we have developed into a one game wonder and made pretty much the square root of feck all from. 

Development fee will be buttons.

9 years wasted. 

Nice one Arnott and Murray. 

Now do us all a favour and feck off.

I would like to see Darren Murray back at Hearts, a lot of Raith fans are putting the upturn there down to him

4 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

No development fee is he goes to the states. Sam Nicholson would be the example. Didn’t receive a penny for him unless I’m mistaken. 

yeah same happened with Chris Cadden but that was more shady as went straight on loan to Oxford United,

Unknown user
1 minute ago, lou said:

I would like to see Darren Murray back at Hearts, a lot of Raith fans are putting the upturn there down to him

I thought he was back with us through Box?

6 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

what’s to stop atlanta signing him for free then loan straight to Aberdeen?

Edited by Newton51

Rory Mcilroy

My memory might be a bit hazy but do most of these young guys not come in to the first team with confidence and play well in their first handful of games, only to then start to go backwards or stagnate? Cochrane, Macdonald, C Smith, Hickey to an extent, Irving now too. Would bring into question how they are man managed/coached after the breakthrough. For me, Irving is much more of a side to side player now than when he first broke in. 

Also raises the question about the youth players being developed in the "right way" only to then watch Berra n co launch it long in the first team. No point aiming for an Ajax style academy if it isn't mirrored at the top level. 

Pity about Cochrane though, hope he has a decent career (just not against us). 

David McCaig
12 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I think that was a point that Steven Naismith made when he first arrived at the club.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I thought he was back with us through Box?

I think he is, however I would like to see him.in a senior role, which he seems to have at Raith

Glamorgan Jambo

Whatever the story is I'm not really surprised by this. Combination of being thrown into the team too early and being vastly overhyped by Levein, injuries and loan moves that didn't work.

I'll always remember his goal against Selleck. One of the best 'sounding' goals we've scored in years (you can literally hear it hitting the stanchion). I also will smile remembering him emptying some Hibs player near the touchline in a derby.

Nookie Bear

Harry’s lack of development from a hugely talented 16 year old who stood toe to toe with Celtic to become a bit part player in the lowest league is symbolic of the club’s ability to progress youth into the first team.