Alloa and Brechin

rory78

Unknown user
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the one thing i have had a look at i'm sure the catherdral being a city thing ended in the 19th century, yet brechin city wqas founded in 1906 (20th century). or in other words they were cheating even back then when they were founded

Not only that, they were founded by players from Brechin Hearts and Brechin Harp, they're an abomination!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• Fozzyonthefence

• Rogue Daddy

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I've always considered Barry Ferguson to be a daftie and as thick as 2 short ones - but that's a brilliant summation he's  done there.    He's absolutely right about the SPFL/SFA being run by incompetents with ulterior motives, just like the ESL club owners.    Pretty strong stuff from a former Scotland captain.     

It would be penned for him by a ghost writer - Bazza is thick as shit!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

It didn’t strike me as a typical Barry utterance either. 

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Is there any word if Kelty are playing Brora tomorrow?

The game will be given the go-ahead at five to three tomorrow.  When Brora and Kelty don't appear for the scheduled kick-off, both clubs will be deemed to have defaulted and Brechin will stay up. :whistling:

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The game will be given the go-ahead at five to three tomorrow.  When Brora and Kelty don't appear for the scheduled kick-off, both clubs will be deemed to have defaulted and Brechin will stay up. :whistling:

Not funny. 😃

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scary but wouldn't surprise me 🥴

Footballfirst

If the SPFL was planning on getting a legal opinion from its go to guy, Gerry Moynihan QC, then he has been busy all week defending the Lord Advocate against David Grier's £7m claim (re the Rangers malicious prosecution).

The main part of the proof hearing ended this afternoon, so he should be free now.

Edited by Footballfirst

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

"No play-off required, Neil. They never turned up"

image.jpeg.1cd9bd17efc1a8fada59944f601e8da8.jpeg

"Welcome back, Ken. We've kept your seat warm for you."

SPFL make board changes - Eurosport

TyphoonJambo

So,Saturday morning and still nothing.  Probably because Donkey is busy getting security briefs and fitted for his bullet proof suit in preparation for his trophy presentation duties as well.

I'd suggest he also brings one of those olde world food tasters, easy to slip arsenic into a prawn sandwich, I believe.

Saint Jambo

"Two weeks away from a scheduled Pyramid Play-off semi-final first leg and Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts still do not know whether the game will go ahead."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56868557

Looks like the game had already been pushed back by a couple of weeks. Presumably to allow for the change to the League Two season.

BBC's update is basically, no update.

There is a Craig Levein quote at the end for anyone needing a quick seethe. Fair to say not exactly an informed position. He really is getting settled into the world of Scottish football punditry. Why bother researching the thing you are paid to talk about when you can just sound off on the basis of no knowledge.

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

"Two weeks away from a scheduled Pyramid Play-off semi-final first leg and Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts still do not know whether the game will go ahead."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56868557

Looks like the game had already been pushed back by a couple of weeks. Presumably to allow for the change to the League Two season.

BBC's update is basically, no update.

There is a Craig Levein quote at the end for anyone needing a quick seethe. Fair to say not exactly an informed position. He really is getting settled into the world of Scottish football punditry. Why bother researching the thing you are paid to talk about when you can just sound off on the basis of no knowledge.

The issue seems to be that the SFA run the Lowland and Highland leagues but the SPFL run the playoff and entry into their leagues. The SFA think there is no legal impediment to it taking place but the SPFL don’t seem too eager to have it. 

I think it is tomorrow that Brechin play Cowdenbeath when their place as the 42nd club should be confirmed.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

The issue seems to be that the SFA run the Lowland and Highland leagues but the SPFL run the playoff and entry into their leagues. The SFA think there is no legal impediment to it taking place but the SPFL don’t seem too eager to have it. 

Can't have SPFL lickspittle chairman of Brechin receiving exactly what they deserve, relegation  after losing in play-off. 

They only unfairly demote other clubs to suit Brechin's financial needs after all.

Edited by colinmaroon

Rogue Daddy
13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Can't have SPFL lickspittle chairman of Brechin receiving exactly what they deserve, relegation  after losing in play-off. 

They only unfairly demote other clubs to suit Brechin's financial needs after all.

Brechin should be relegated. It's the 2nd bottom team that should be in the play-off IMO.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Brechin should be relegated. It's the 2nd bottom team that should be in the play-off IMO.

A rule change to make that happen would guarantee a sudden stampede of  tinpots to  demand reconstruction  :arry:   

Edited by Lone Striker

On 23/04/2021 at 12:44, Wee Mikey said:

Just as an aside ... Brechin is NOT a city, it is a town. They are totally deluded. They might as well re-brand themselves as 'Real Brechin'. Maybe they'd then get an invite to join the European Super League. 🤭

In the UK, if a place has a cathedral it is at liberty to call itself a city. Brechin has a cathedral, so it is a city, as are a number of small 'towns' like Lancaster. Truro and Wells. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, henryheart said:

In the UK, if a place has a cathedral it is at liberty to call itself a city. Brechin has a cathedral, so it is a city, as are a number of small 'towns' like Lancaster. Truro and Wells. 

That hasn't been true since before any of us were born.

9 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Not true, historically that was the case in England and Wales. It has never been the case in Scotland. 

13 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Posting as one of the few Cornishmen on Kickback I can tell you that Truro has a cathedral AND is also a city. City status granted in 1877

The Best Ways to Celebrate St Piran's Day - Kernow Chocolate

Randy Marsh
26 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Dunblane is also a city. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Dunblane is also a city. 

Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Stirling are the only cities in Scotland.

Randy Marsh
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Stirling are the only cities in Scotland.

Yeah officially.  Dunblane has a cathedral so claims to be a city (like Brechin).  In fact there is a sign on entering Dunblane that says 'Welcome to the City of Dunblane'.  

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Yeah officially.  Dunblane has a cathedral so claims to be a city (like Brechin).  In fact there is a sign on entering Dunblane that says 'Welcome to the City of Dunblane'.  

You can also add Elgin to the list of cathedral cities.

Tommy Brown
On 23/04/2021 at 20:30, Thomaso said:

I severely doubt Baz would know what end of a pen to use when writing.

Under the floodlight
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

Dunkeld and St Davids in Wales are others, The city rule must have come from the Medieval equipment of the SPFL.

Under the floodlight
12 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Dunkeld and St Davids in Wales are others, The city rule must have come from the Medieval equivalent of the SPFL.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Not true.

I live in the lovely City of Dunblane.

As Randy was saying above it is and it isn't, it can call itself a city but you won't find it on any official list of UK cities.

2 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Dunkeld and St Davids in Wales are others, The city rule must have come from the Medieval equipment of the SPFL.

St David’s is a city though. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

It is. So is St Asaph, and that’s tiny too. The two put together would still be smaller than Brechin.

There is a weird convention that when new cities are named, England, Scotland and Wales get one each (not sure about NI). Wales doesn’t have anywhere larger than a moderate-sized town that isn’t a city already, so they’re really scraping the barrel here.

Under the floodlight
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It is technically but based on medieval criteria, a population of 1600 and a cathedral doesn't do it for me.

Just now, Under the floodlight said:

It is technically but based on medieval criteria, a population of 1600 and a cathedral doesn't do it for me.

No it actually is a city. The status is granted by royal charter and St David’s was. 

Under the floodlight
Just now, Tazio said:

No it actually is a city. The status is granted by royal charter and St David’s was. 

No you're right but again for me I don't accept the archaic methods of determinatinng a city. Royal. Charters, Burgh's etc I think new criteria should be introduced. IMHO.

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

granted in 1994

Photo Galleries - City of Kirkwall | Cruise Orkney

Anyway - anything less than a win tonight sees Brechin officially (unless there's any dodgy dealings) finishing as club 42. Again.

I've heard people refer to Tynecastle as "our church". Well, for me it is our very own cathedral and castle rolled into one so I say:-

"Welcome to Gorgie city" ❤❤G❤

We even have our very own Gorgie City Farm. For any Lochend interlopers, Beat that. 😎

On 23/04/2021 at 17:54, GMEdinburgh said:

Apparantly it's an SFA run competition as the SPFL have no authority over the Highland and Lowland League, the play offs never happened last year as the SPFL never put forward Club 42 which of course was Brechin. Not only did the SPFL go against what the Pyramid system was set up for and specific rules put in place it was also accepted by the SFA, I think Kelty and Brora were seeking legal advice last year but back down possibly after the outcome of our case become apparent. This situation is just another embarrassing episode in Scottish Football where the hierarchy appear to be getting away with changing the goalposts to suit themselves. Was it a coincidence that the Brechin chairman resigned recently, do you think no discussions or conversation haven't taken place to work out a way to shaft Boro or Kelty yet again.

No wonder Barry appears delusional with Scottish football and I'm not suprised and fully agree with what has been written as he's not the only person sick to back teeth of what has went on last year and appears to be continuing through the play off saga.  Unfortunately this will make no difference to the SPFL what is written as it basically doesn't suit their agenda. 

Not that they could use it, but surely the SFA have the power to revoke football licences if the SPFL don't allow for the pyramid system?

It's so weak by the SFA not to have sorted this out and us (Kelty, Brora) getting to this stage again.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Talk about wee cities. The City of London.

:look:

Is it not City of Westminster? 🤷‍♂️

On 23/04/2021 at 22:56, Lone Striker said:

"No play-off required, Neil. They never turned up"

image.jpeg.1cd9bd17efc1a8fada59944f601e8da8.jpeg

"Welcome back, Ken. We've kept your seat warm for you."

SPFL make board changes - Eurosport

OMG!!! That ☝haircut. 🤭

I bet that when he looks in the mirror, what he sees is a fulsome head of hair akin to Paddy the Phoenix Nights doorman after applying the dodgy hair restorer. 👇

20210427_092518.jpg

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Take it no media are seriously picking up on this and Scottish Football is sleepwalking once again into farce?

Rangers and Celtic aren’t involved so they don’t care. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Take it no media are seriously picking up on this and Scottish Football is sleepwalking once again into farce?

For two seasons in a row, both Brora and Kelty have shown themselves to be worthy of the opportunity to gain promotion through sporting merit.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they played off for an automatic promotion with 'club 42' (just happens to be Brechin) going down.

What both these clubs have done is all they can to comply with the pyramid system.

Their players, and everyone else associated with the two clubs must be absolutely scunnered at this fiasco.

I can only imagine the frustration for players who did an amazing cup 'giant killing' (annoyingly v us) being treated with such disdain. They must be wondering, "What's the point"?

Under the floodlight
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Two cities in London then. Every day is a day at school. 

A tale of two cities now there's a book title if ever I heard one!

Under the floodlight
6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Rangers and Celtic aren’t involved so they don’t care. 

Tom English was very vocal on the subject last night on sportsound.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

Always the same characters picking up on this and it never gets any traction anywhere.

All the other clubs move on and forget about last year's disgraceful events, and Kelty/Brora left to rot.

Under the floodlight
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Always the same characters picking up on this and it never gets any traction anywhere.

All the other clubs move on and forget about last year's disgraceful events, and Kelty/Brora left to rot.

Get the impression too many media types are wined and dined by club owners and don't like rocking the boat. I found CLs comments disappointing,  

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Get the impression too many media types are wined and dined by club owners and don't like rocking the boat. I found CLs comments disappointing,  

Former Hearts and Scotland manager Craig Levein

"It is the SFA and the SPFL and I believe they have different viewpoints on this, but surely it is an SPFL competition. It doesn't make sense to me why the SFA would have an input.

"If the SPFL declares that it doesn't recognise both Brora and Kelty because of what's happened this season and how many games they've played, surely it will be status quo."

It isn't saying much tbh, but he could have added "...and that would be a disgrace." at the end.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

Against the SPFL presumably?

Under the floodlight
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Against the SPFL presumably?

Mainly Ken Ferguson but. SPFL as well.