• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Spellczech

• Des Lynam

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Like Smith as CD, GMS not on the wing and Logan as a wing back (wasn't that his peoblem with the sheep?)

? I was taking about Henderson - this is a thread with his name in the title...

17 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

? I was taking about Henderson - this is a thread with his name in the title...

I know.

However if we played every round player in their comfortable round hole we might not have had a winning team tonight or the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I did think he played reasonably well tonight and wondered if that might be because Nando was out of the way allowing him a bit more space to work in.

Finlay James
7 hours ago, Boof said:

Knocked back :(

Seems the grey hair and beard aren't his thing...

If that's the case, he won't like my wife either then 

Under the floodlight
9 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Bollox 

Absolute desperate drivel 

Woop Woop !

Unknown user
11 hours ago, tian447 said:

I was never a fan, but I'm starting to come round. He's direct, and happy with the ball at his feet.  His goal was amazing, cuts inside and curls it into the far corner. Absolutely sublime finish. 

Last week, he powered through about 70 or 80 yards on a run from pretty much the edge of his own box. 

He has loads of potential, and I hope we keep giving him chances to progress and show it. 

I kind of liked him, I thought he had something because you could see in a tight spot he has good instincts to wriggle out, but being honest I really didn't think that was what he had. 

He's been really good and you can see that with genuine confidence he could really be a player. Confidence, pace, power, finishing, instincts - ooft!

Bob Loblaw

I think he'd really benefit from a run of 20-30 games but at the same point I'd be loathe to loan him out. 

I think sometimes people forget he's only 20, he has bags of potential. Direct, good finisher and really quick. If he sharpens up his speed of thought he'll be a cracking player.

He only actually made 10 league appearances this season, I thought it was more. 3 goals and 2 assists is not a bad return considering he was out wide a lot.

Section Q
On 09/04/2021 at 22:19, tartofmidlothian said:

Deserves a pat on the back for scoring a great goal, almost scoring a second and winning a penalty in style. I didn't know he had a second half like that in him.

He's a much better option than Gwando and his work rate in the last two games has been good.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

And credit to Robbie for giving him the chance. 

Obviously I can’t be too positive about Robbie so i will also add that it makes me wonder if other young players could have benefitted from some game time this season. Henderson will never be a top level striker but every team needs squad players that can offer something, either as a sub or semi-regular starts. 

No.

More time this season and he would be more complete player. Also when played hasn’t had the freedom to play his natural game.

Even last night you could see as the game went on he became more confident and better - he needs game time.

But it’s true - he needs to back himself more. But that will only come through a run of  games.

Tokyo Drifter
On 09/04/2021 at 22:19, tartofmidlothian said:

Deserves a pat on the back for scoring a great goal, almost scoring a second and winning a penalty in style. I didn't know he had a second half like that in him.

Not sure Michael Smith would agree!

David Black

Always liked Henderson. He brings an energy and pace and is now showing his finishing ability. He has awareness and good movement as well. All he needs is his confidence to increase and we will have a very good player on our hands. 

People need to remember as well he broke through under Levein as a youth and was playing his system. He then had to adapt and play Stendels high pressing game as a winger and now Robbie has him playing CF and a different role to what he's had under the last 2 managers. All with limited game time.

He's making the right runs or playing the right link up passes even if some may be over hit or he doesn't always hold it up. Certainly looks a lot more positive and someone who shouldve been given more game time this season. Took his goal very well. Plenty pace and looks quite strong too when up against Mendy. 

Persistence and game time is needed to get his confidence up.

Tynecastlesmychurch

I think playing in a front three with Boyce and GMS will definitely help him. As others have said it’s all about confidence. He definitely needs to believe in himself more as he has plenty of ability! 

37 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

He certainly gave Hendo a piece of his mind a few times. Mind you he should have had a word with himself as well for some of his passes and constantly wanting to go sideways and backwards.

I know at times he claims there is no forward pass but he does ot far too often for me.

colinmaroon
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He certainly gave Hendo a piece of his mind a few times. Mind you he should have had a word with himself as well for some of his passes and constantly wanting to go sideways and backwards.

I know at times he claims there is no forward pass but he does ot far too often for me.

I actually thought he passed forwards more than he has for a while.   Playing a team that weren't completely camped in their own half did give spaces for him to hit it in behind their wingback.

colinmaroon
12 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Funny how a goal changes perceptions of a player's performance. I thought he was having a bit of a mare tonight and then he scored a nicely taken goal. All of a sudden my frustration with him lessened.

The boy does have some tools in his game. He is quick and he is quite stocky and strong on the ball. His finishing can be good at times and he is always looking to do something positive and take defenders on. There are definitely skills there that can be developed and utilised. It will be interesting to see how well he handles the step up to the top division.

Exactly and he was the same before his run and goal recently.

He was awful in both games until then.  He has shown that he has something but our attacks often broke down with his poor touch and having the ball easily taken off him.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Exactly and he was the same before his run and goal recently.

He was awful in both games until then.  He has shown that he has something but our attacks often broke down with his poor touch and having the ball easily taken off him.

I don’t think the Robbie shackles have allowed him to show his best - Hendo is not a “zonal” type player that will thrive on having to maintain a position and not go and get the ball and drive forward with it.

Him and GMS also - if they are out on the wings - are much more effective with GMS on right cutting in and Hendo on left cutting in - with the occasional song play and cross when appropriate) like inside forwards (which is a much better use of their respective talents than being played as wide men).

johnthomas
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Heard that last night , "how many fekkin times"

I assumed Henderson had lost possession or was there more to it ?

Holyrood_Hearts
8 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Heard that last night , "how many fekkin times"

I assumed Henderson had lost possession or was there more to it ?

He miscontrolled a pass over the top 30 odd yards from their penalty box & Raith broke up the park from there.

Holyrood_Hearts

I’m a big fan of him. Thought he did well running the channels keeping us in possession. Took his goal really well although should’ve had 1 or two more. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, David Black said:

Always liked Henderson. He brings an energy and pace and is now showing his finishing ability. He has awareness and good movement as well. All he needs is his confidence to increase and we will have a very good player on our hands. 

I agree.  Even in our disaster last season I thought he showed promise with his willingness to get on the ball and make things happen.  He also began building a good partnership with Naisy although that was never given time to flourish.  Pleased he's had more game time of late.  Should have happened much earlier.

I'd be gutted if he left us now.

4marsbars

He looks to be fast, strong, solid, and with a good shot.

There's plenty to work with there.

He shouldn't go on loan - he should remain in the first team squad and hopefully next season will be the big breakthrough.

I really don’t think Hendo is good enough for Hearts. He may look better at times against Championship teams but in reality Hearts should look better than they have done because too many of the players at Hearts are not good enough. To say Hendo is better than Gnanduillet doesn’t make Hendo good enough for Hearts. I’d want him to go on loan for a full season to a Championship team and prove he can excel as a player and score a barrow load of goals come back to Hearts the following season and force his way into the first team. If he can’t do that I’d hope that Hearts have better quality players signed in the striking position. I wish the lad well but he needs to push himself next season to become a much better player with bags of confidence.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I really don’t think Hendo is good enough for Hearts. He may look better at times against Championship teams but in reality Hearts should look better than they have done because too many of the players at Hearts are not good enough. To say Hendo is better than Gnanduillet doesn’t make Hendo good enough for Hearts. I’d want him to go on loan for a full season to a Championship team and prove he can excel as a player and score a barrow load of goals come back to Hearts the following season and force his way into the first team. If he can’t do that I’d hope that Hearts have better quality players signed in the striking position. I wish the lad well but he needs to push himself next season to become a much better player with bags of confidence.

It’s funny.

Savage, Robbie, Naismith, GMS all disagree with you.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Totally agree with this. I think Henderson has come on a lot due to getting a run in the side and his pace causes problems for defences,  He's scored two and had one disallowed, and his pace has won us 2 pens in the last few games.  I hope we keep him. 

25 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s funny.

Savage, Robbie, Naismith, GMS all disagree with you.

We’ll see and these 4 aren’t always right unlike me. Remember I’m a legend in my own mind.   😎

I really like this formation, we seem to be getting the best out of everyone.

Henderson is looking really good. 

HillmanHearts

He has got genuine pace and is a good finisher. Great foundations to work on.

Needs to look after the ball better but that's something that will hopefully come on.

I'm sure he's done enough to be in the plans.

Spellczech
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I know.

However if we played every round player in their comfortable round hole we might not have had a winning team tonight or the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I did think he played reasonably well tonight and wondered if that might be because Nando was out of the way allowing him a bit more space to work in.

True, and I think it is fine with young players in age groups and reserve games but if you are blooding them in the first team you simply have to put them in their best position, and consistently.

This has  been an issue at Hearts in the modern era and under multiple coaches. It was not something ever done in the 80s and 90s when we brought through loads of quality youth players but in the "modern game" with all its many formations it has been a problem and we've ruined some players because of it.

You can get away with it for a week or maybe several, and the glory reflected upon the coach for his genius will generate threads on here, but it seldom sticks. Eventually the bad games happen.

We still talk about Moose being made a striker or Karapidis/Barr/Haring becoming super DMs but we never say Eggert Jonnson became an excellent RB...

Diadora Van Basten

I think he has suffered a bit from being played out of position. He isn’t a typical striker either when he was in reserves he would go a few games without scoring then bang in a hat trick.

He is definitely a team player and a bit nice which is why Smith and Neilson think they can get away with getting on his back despite being no great shakes themselves.

I would definitely keep him involved next season maybe not as a regular starter but hope for him to get 15-20 games next year.

A_A wehatethehibs

Starting to find his feet, he has definitely benefitted from Neilsons decision to punt Wighton in January. That was a vote of confidence in Henderson. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

4 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think he'd really benefit from a run of 20-30 games but at the same point I'd be loathe to loan him out. 

I think sometimes people forget he's only 20, he has bags of potential. Direct, good finisher and really quick. If he sharpens up his speed of thought he'll be a cracking player.

He only actually made 10 league appearances this season, I thought it was more. 3 goals and 2 assists is not a bad return considering he was out wide a lot.

Against teams where there is space to run in behind he could be absolutely lethal. 

I'm really pleased for the laddie because I'd thought he was another in a long line of misfiring strikers. (Gary Oliver et al). 

Hope he kicks on because the talent is clearly there. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

We’ll see and these 4 aren’t always right unlike me. Remember I’m a legend in my own mind.   😎

I may also have got the order of names in the wrong order 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

On 09/04/2021 at 22:43, Boy Daniel said:

We (he) knows he has something to offer let’s see if it continues. We need somethings from the much vaunted Academy. 

Recent performances have seen a great improvement. Glad he is doing well. Big step up next season I hope he continues on the improving trajectory. 

tartofmidlothian
5 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

I think playing in a front three with Boyce and GMS will definitely help him. As others have said it’s all about confidence. He definitely needs to believe in himself more as he has plenty of ability! 

GMS and Hendo have proven themselves to be forwards and nothing else in the past month, I'd say. That's three good attacking options we have, as another poster said we're better off with Hendo than Gnanduillet.

5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

He now looks like he will be a very good player. 

No danger of him going on loan next season he will be in the match day squad every game next season, fitness permitting.