Euan Henderson

tartofmidlothian

Henderson frustrated me in matches. He seemed afraid to take on players and looked to me like he was pretending to close players down with little belief of intent.  Tonight he seems to have brought the opposite to his game with purposeful runs so long may it continue.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Spellczech

• Des Lynam

Kidd’s Boots

Has had so many critics on here while being asked to play a very specific role within the team. Natural position, freedom to play, players around him like Boyce, McEneff, Haring encouraging to play his game instead of being constantly harangued. Deserves a starting place in this formation imo.

13 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I still have my doubts but he did well tonight and he has a good positive attitude. Even if he's not the most talented player in the world, he always wants to take the ball and run at defenders. I like that. There have been too many matches this season where players with more ability than Henderson have hid and passed the buck by taking the safe option. That's something you can't accuse Henderson of. He's earned the right to start against Morton with his performance tonight.

I agree. He maybe lacks a bit of confidence and some more performances like last night will do him a power of good.

Edited by wavydavy

David Black

Always liked Henderson. I like his direct running, his pace his game intelligence. The only thing that he has lacked has been a bit composure in front of goal. That only comes with confidence, which games with game time in your preferred position. Henderson will turn out to be a very good player for us.

I’m sure Hendo was a sprinter when he was at school. 

I was absolutely delighted for him last night - considering the effort he always puts in, he deserved for it all to click for him eventually like it did. Hopefully it continues.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I believe he is the fastest over 60m at the club.

I imagine Sproule and O'Brien held those accolades at Hibs in their time but they were still dug meat. 

He still hides too much and is too quiet. An improved performance against a part-time outfit. Is nothing to get excited about. Definitely not good enough for us going forward and should be part of the clear out. 

Ex member of the SaS

It only goes to show that getting players in their right positions and allowing them to push forward changes how we play. Been saying all season that getting players forward and into the box means better chances to score. One up front! A Robbie specialty only means there are two or three defenders stopping him from scoring. Three, four or five in the box and your chances multiply immensely. 

Players being hampered by instructions not to push forward has destroyed this season and will undoubtedly have cost Robbie his job.

16 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Deserves a pat on the back for scoring a great goal, almost scoring a second and winning a penalty in style. I didn't know he had a second half like that in him.

That run last night, shame it didn't result in a goal. Pleased he did get on the goals. 

Finlay James

I've said for a couple of years that if he could believe in himself, he will be an awesome asset.  Hopefully last night gives him the shot in the arm to believe that he belongs at Hearts.

• 3 weeks later...
The Treasurer

Said it on another thread, he gets stick from team mates because they know he's better than he shows in games. Just needs to get some confidence 

Captain Canada

Did well again tonight and his goal was very good. Definitely needs a bit more belief in himself as he's got a lot to offer. 

Frustrating is the word. 

Misses a sitter from 5 yards then scores a worldie. Definitely one to persist with. 

Edited by DS98

Nookie Bear
16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Said it on another thread, he gets stick from team mates because they know he's better than he shows in games. Just needs to get some confidence 

That’s a good spot, you can see he gets a lot of talking from team mates. 

Has something. Powerful runner. Apparently according to staff one of the most natural finishers. 

is he any better than Wighton though? 

full of energy and a very composed touch and finish.

I look forward to seeing Henderson, Ginnelly and GMS buzzing around and making it difficult for the opposition defenders next season, Boyce dropping back and slipping in some worldie through balls

Football management is so much easier when you put the round pegs in the round holes and play players to their strengths rather than trying to get them to "do something different".

Nookie Bear

And credit to Robbie for giving him the chance. 

Obviously I can’t be too positive about Robbie so i will also add that it makes me wonder if other young players could have benefitted from some game time this season. Henderson will never be a top level striker but every team needs squad players that can offer something, either as a sub or semi-regular starts. 

Fozzyonthefence

I was impressed with him tonight.  Probably helped him that he was up against 2 old and slow centre backs but I doubt he’ll come up against much pace in the Premiership.  His pace caused them problems tonight, took his goal brilliantly, although should’ve scored one just before that.  

Saint Jambo

Played well tonight. Not just a very good goal, but a couple of times in the first time when he chased down balls down the line and had the strength to come away with the ball when in previous games he has normally been out muscled in those kind of situations.

Great goal. Unlucky to be pulled down outside the box in the first half when if the defender doesn't make contact he has a great chance of scoring. Should have done better when McDonald saved from him in the second half. Also should have done better when he got the penalty, with the bad decision distracting from that fact.

Overall he can be pleased with how the season has finished. Sets him up well to really try and make his mark next season as he enters the final year of his contract.

I was never a fan, but I'm starting to come round. He's direct, and happy with the ball at his feet.  His goal was amazing, cuts inside and curls it into the far corner. Absolutely sublime finish. 

Last week, he powered through about 70 or 80 yards on a run from pretty much the edge of his own box. 

He has loads of potential, and I hope we keep giving him chances to progress and show it. 

davemclaren
Just now, tian447 said:

I was never a fan, but I'm starting to come round. He's direct, and happy with the ball at his feet.  His goal was amazing, cuts inside and curls it into the far corner. Absolutely sublime finish. 

Last week, he powered through about 70 or 80 yards on a run from pretty much the edge of his own box. 

He has loads of potential, and I hope we keep giving him chances to progress and show it. 

Me too. Never really rated him but he’s getting more confident, more physical and more involved. 

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

He's definitely improving, looking forward to seeing just how much he can improve. Coaching staff giving him plenty playing time shows how much they believe in him and he's coming good. 

Imagine we had a coaching team that could push him on another 15% next season. I think this guy could then be a player........however needs coached, and by progressive coaches 🤷‍♂️

Under the floodlight
1 minute ago, gedster said:

Imagine we had a coaching team that could push him on another 15% next season. I think this guy could then be a player........however needs coached, and by progressive coaches 🤷‍♂️

Good post.

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Football management is so much easier when you put the round pegs in the round holes and play players to their strengths rather than trying to get them to "do something different".

Like Smith as CD, GMS not on the wing and Logan as a wing back (wasn't that his peoblem with the sheep?)

At times had bit of the Vardy about him. Really good runs behind their defence. Work rate was there. He looks more comfortable physically 

His goal and the red card were very good bits of play. He’s definitely improving 

Edited by R1874

On 09/04/2021 at 22:47, Bull's-eye said:

He's always got pass marks from me because his effort is always 100%. 

It's unfortunate he's been surrounded by players who's effort has been questionable at best. 

Still a young guy and he's got the build, hopeful. 

Correct as usual.

No Idle Talk

Funny how a goal changes perceptions of a player's performance. I thought he was having a bit of a mare tonight and then he scored a nicely taken goal. All of a sudden my frustration with him lessened.

The boy does have some tools in his game. He is quick and he is quite stocky and strong on the ball. His finishing can be good at times and he is always looking to do something positive and take defenders on. There are definitely skills there that can be developed and utilised. It will be interesting to see how well he handles the step up to the top division.

Had him anytime scorer. Then naysmith to come on and score £175 up of a fiver. 

Believe hendo as much as everyone does in yourself 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
49 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Me too. He looks like a player that needs confidence to flourish and in the last few games he has shown real quality. And, that's something I couldn't say about some of the strikers that have come through our academy. Gary Glen. Jamie Mole, etc.. His goal was sublime. I was a doubter but I have to give credit to RN for persisting with him (I'd have emptied him months ago). We might just have a diamond.

30 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ask him out, you never know........

Knocked back :(

Seems the grey hair and beard aren't his thing...

Earlier on this season, you could hear coaches constantly shouting "Hendo, Hendo"

I got the impression that he's got a natural talent with a ball at his feet, but he's maybe not the most tactical footballer.

Fortunatelly, things like that can be worked on.

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far from Henderson and it's nice to think that we've maybe got a decent forward breaking through from the Academy.

Reminds of a young Ross McCormack at Motherwell when he drives with the ball and makes space to shoot. Season ending at the wrong time for him tbh.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, gavvy said:

He's definitely improving, looking forward to seeing just how much he can improve. Coaching staff giving him plenty playing time shows how much they believe in him and he's coming good. 

Does he go down as a player that Neilson has improved this season? That won't be well received by some.