*****Official Heart of Midlothian Vs Alloa thread ******

Bongo 1874

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In case you hadn't noticed there's been a massive global health and economic crisis for about 14 months. No football team on the planet has had a proper transfer window since that all started. 

Sorry I must have just imagined all his new signings. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Sorry I must have just imagined all his new signings. 

I'm pretty sure he'd have liked to make quite a few more, or rather would have liked to have shipped out a few more. His first window was strengthen where we need to strengthen, which he did and we got off to a flyer. His second was with an eye on next season I have no idea what's happened with our team the last two months but to me it seems to be more about fitness and some players thinking they're too good for this league - and yes it is Robbie's job to get them in shape and motivate them but he had no problem doing that last Tim e he was Hearts manager so not sure what's happened this time.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm pretty sure he'd have liked to make quite a few more, or rather would have liked to have shipped out a few more. His first window was strengthen where we need to strengthen, which he did and we got off to a flyer. His second was with an eye on next season I have no idea what's happened with our team the last two months but to me it seems to be more about fitness and some players thinking they're too good for this league - and yes it is Robbie's job to get them in shape and motivate them but he had no problem doing that last Tim e he was Hearts manager so not sure what's happened this time.

Maybe he wanted a few more wingers?

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes Stendel wanted to manage us in the championship he gave up his wage to help us 😂😂

Sorry who go us to that semi you can't give robbie proper credit for that?. 

Surely you base Robbie on how he done during his run of the Scottish Cup this season and League Cup?. 

I have yet to see any quote proving this. In fact his agent seemed to do most of the talking at the time. To me it seemed like Stendel was waiting to see how the court case etc might pan out. We couldn't hang about and Budge has been vindicated by the fact that we will be promoted straight away (unlike Rangers, Hibs and D Utd) and that has never been in doubt since the first game. Would have been nice if we could have not had the Feb and March we had but there you go.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, stevie1874 said:

Maybe he wanted a few more wingers?

If his main winger - and the one who has looked the best - hadn't got injured maybe he would't have needed more? Neilson's signings haven't all been good like all our managers, but Gordon, Kingsley, Ginnelly, McEneff, Halliday, Logan and Gnando have all been at best excellent and at worst solid. GMS has been the big flop and he was probably the one fans were most excited about! 

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If his main winger - and the one who has looked the best - hadn't got injured maybe he would't have needed more? Neilson's signings haven't all been good like all our managers, but Gordon, Kingsley, Ginnelly, McEneff, Halliday, Logan and Gnando have all been at best excellent and at worst solid. GMS has been the big flop and he was probably the one fans were most excited about! 

You’ve just listed 8 players all of who will be on decent money but you reckon he never had a proper transfer window? Add in Roberts, Frear, Kasteneer and Popescu with his coaching staff it’s no wonder a big percentage of the support don’t want him spending  the budget for next season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

You’ve just listed 8 players all of who will be on decent money but you reckon he never had a proper transfer window? Add in Roberts, Frear, Kasteneer and Popescu with his coaching staff it’s no wonder a big percentage of the support don’t want him spending  the budget for next season. 

As I said no manager has had what we would typically think of as a proper window since covid hit. We had the added complication of signing players when we didn't even know for sure what league we'd be in, when it would start or even if it would start, or if it would finish. Budgets were slashed. Players couldn't travel. Gong show. And last January has to have been the quietest window on record.

Edited by ToqueJambo

RalphieCifaretto

Good to see Haring nearly playing at the level we know he's capable of. 

But it was only Alloa, need to see a strong run of performances to the end of the season.

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

It’s the ‘personal’ stuff that pees me off too, Dug.  👍

Why can’t it just be kept in/or on, a football level?

Some folk, rightly or wrongly, just have to let themselves down.

HMFC

Indeed , name calling , personal abuse etc just detracts from the argument against for me

upgotheheads
7 hours ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Better watch tonight and not just because we scored 6 against a poor Alloa team but more because the formation suited the players and the energy was better. Winning second balls Haring) in midfield, passing accurate from the back (Souttar) and a freedom to roam up front (Boyce/Nando) with a box to box runner (McEneef). More of this please in the rema3games. 

A big sigh of relief certainly, but the first 20 minutes were the same old eye bleeding stuff, and we could have easily been a goal or two down before we scored. There were times when Alloa were passing the ball through us at pace and we couldn't win second balls or get near to their midfielders.  That's been a regular pattern for most of the season, and if it hadn't been for the good start we would be struggling now. Why do we start so slowly? Every team comes out against us fired up, and we look as if we've turned up for a kickabout.

It was an excellent performance all round last night but I need to see another 3 of the same quality till the end of the season .

KyleLafferty

No this stendel chat again 😂😂😂😂. He came in we were 11th, season finished we were 12th, some good games and really bad games. He’s in the past, please to god move on.

Ex member of the SaS

A much improved performance but begs the question why didn't they play like that all season? Still not convinced Robbie will take us further than promotion.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

No this stendel chat again 😂😂😂😂. He came in we were 11th, season finished we were 12th, some good games and really bad games. He’s in the past, please to god move on.

Stendel left with my good wishes but this pish is really messing that up, his name just pisses me off now

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

A big sigh of relief certainly, but the first 20 minutes were the same old eye bleeding stuff, and we could have easily been a goal or two down before we scored. There were times when Alloa were passing the ball through us at pace and we couldn't win second balls or get near to their midfielders.  That's been a regular pattern for most of the season, and if it hadn't been for the good start we would be struggling now. Why do we start so slowly? Every team comes out against us fired up, and we look as if we've turned up for a kickabout.

Agreed Trouton should have had 2 in the first half. 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely. I think this will be like Levein when we ended Celtic’s unbeaten run. 

Ah it's back to Levein.   Never fails!

Mr God Awful Ugly

The difference between hold possession, getting it down the wings and putting in 50/50 crosses most of the time against moving forward quicker more centrally with positive passes intended for teammates.

Jambo in Bathgate

The difference last night was that we had Haring playing forward balls rather than Irving playing the ball backwards. We also had Henderson carrying the ball forward again something we have missed since Ginnelly. GMS, Walker and Naismith are not totally fit but played their part when the came on.

Jambo in Bathgate

We didn’t start slowly. Nando had two good chances. Alloa came to make a game of it because 1 point was no good for them to avoid relegation. 

On 07/04/2021 at 18:10, gnasher75 said:

Comfortable Hearts win to paper over the cracks on Friday night.

Cue the Sportsound presenter and pundits talking up Neilson on Saturday and criticising the entitlement of Hearts fans.

First part achieved. Won't be listening to the radio later to see if the second bit comes true!

To be fair, that was a far better performance than I expected and gives us real hope for next season.

Great to see Souttar back and he gave us real solidity.

Fantastic to see Haring back to his best - was worried we'd never see that again. The pairing with McEneff has real potential.

Excellent performance from Boyce who looked really sharp.

And a real bonus that Henderson looked so good, offering a completely different option.

The caveats are that Alloa are bottom of the league and short of confidence. They didn't park the bus and tried to play which created the space we needed. We still gave them a lot of chances particularly early on - if they had got a goal and then changed tactics, it might have been a lot harder.

Overall it was good to see good players finally playing well as a team rather than looking like they have only just met. No idea if they are playing for Robbie or for the fans or for their own futures but it was a massive improvement all round.

Was pleasing to see  risk taking   in final third  instead  of pointless  ball retention.   They adopted the policy  if we lose the ball  then  we will just get  it back again as  the midfield and more  did on countless  occasions.   Even at end chasing   a speculative  forward ball brought  goal 6   whereas  it would  normally have found  its way  back to  Craig Gordon.  As a dinosaur  who  believes  the place to  play football  is in the opposition  half  it was good to  see.

The players  seemed to have a different body language even when  they were warming up e.g  reaction  of subs  when Henderson was  brought down   and  Naysmith after the opener.  Maybe they were happy at the  3-5-2 formation?   Might it have been that  they had a part in getting the  system changed?

One swallow  and all  that  , but  we will get a clue  if we keep  this going  next game. 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Stendel left with my good wishes but this pish is really messing that up, his name just pisses me off now

👍

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Ah it's back to Levein.   Never fails!

👍

Levein OOT!!! ... Stendel IN/OOT!!!

Oh, wait ... both are long gone and we all really should be over it by now.

42 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

We didn’t start slowly. Nando had two good chances. Alloa came to make a game of it because 1 point was no good for them to avoid relegation. 

I was quite happy with the way we started as well. 

MarkDevriesScores4

Alloa Athletic boss Peter Grant tells BBC Scotland: "First half we should have been 2-0 up, we had two fantastic chances.”

what game was he watching? 

52 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Alloa Athletic boss Peter Grant tells BBC Scotland: "First half we should have been 2-0 up, we had two fantastic chances.”

He has severe Hibernian-syndrome which makes a sufferer believe that football should be denominated in a currency other than goals.

Edited by 4marsbars

will-i-am-a-jambo
7 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

He has severe Hibernian-syndrome which makes a sufferer believe that football should be denominated in a currency other than goals.

Spot on. His vicTimness shone through there. Was so bitter he couldn't accept he got beat by a far superior team!

Jambo in Bathgate
11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No Hearts pressed from the first whistle tonight exactly how Stendel's set his teams up, and guess what it worked but we can't play like that🤔they said. 

You can’t press a team that sit in and try to catch you on break. Stendel approach worked against Rangers twice and Hibs once. He never changed his game plan and we got caught when playing defensive teams. Last night for the first time since Dundee at Tynecastle we had a team that came looking for 3 points and therefore had an open game. 

14 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Whilst waiting for a reach around 

I must hand it to you, Spit, you’ve got a very vivid imagination..  🙄

:thumbsup:

So, last night's game....excellent result but the pleasing thing for me was seeing Souttar playing almost the full match. I'd missed the line-ups and the first five minutes due to the Price Philip stuff (which was already on BBC 1 and BBC2, no need for it being on BBC Scotland as well) so caught it through iplayer.

Player for player, they all actually played their part.

The three at the back worked, Smith, Halkett & Souttar, thought Halliday looked the best he's been playing left wing-back, Logan was excellent at right wing-back, Haring's vision for passes was joyful, McEneff's movement and willingness to get involved further up was good to see, Henderson's runs were a major point in this win, Boyce looked a lot happier with the movement and passes around him and Gnaduillet, although had a quiet game, did enough plus set up Walker's goal.

3-5-2 was always a favourite system of mine going back to Jeffries days in the mid-90s. Haring's passing reminded me of Fulton, McEneff getting forward reminded me of Cameron, Halliday = Pointon, Logan = Flogel, Smith = Salvatori, Souttar & Halkett = Weir & Ritchie, Gnanduillet = Hamilton/Adam, Boyce = Robertson, Henderson buzzing about = McCann. Maybe not the same quality as them but they way they went about the park last night was enjoyable to watch. I'd be sticking with this system and taking it into next season. 

But seeing Souttar and Haring perform well was the overall highlight for me.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

the same one as me. Becuase he is right

1 hour ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

the same one as me. Becuase he is right

they had two chances at 0-0 that they should have done better with. one where the player IIRC shanked it over the bar and the other lack of confidence when it came to himand it trundled wide off his shin

Bazzas right boot

The difference was clear. 

Alloa to their credit came to play, they were more open and on a different day could have scored first. They had to win, a draw was no use to them. 

We did score first, different game after we do that. 

Haring played very well, Boyce had his shooting boots on and we never threw any goals in at the back. 

Don't concede a daft goal, score first - we win almost every time in this league, likely by a few. 

Don't score early then throw a goal or 3 in at the back, miss chances then it turns into a slog. 

Neilsons teams also tend to go on runs. 

7/8 good games, then some poor ones for easily 4/5 games. It's a trend he has  with us and Utd I think. 

Unsure of MK dons. 

Bazzas right boot

Alloa had 2 half chances ffs. 

Folk posting as although they tore us to bits and missed two sitters. 

Trout boy wasn't beating Gordon with either anyway, even if they were on target. 

Neither were as good as Gnandos header from the corner at 0-0. 

Bazzas right boot

25 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

You can’t press a team that sit in and try to catch you on break. Stendel approach worked against Rangers twice and Hibs once. He never changed his game plan and we got caught when playing defensive teams. Last night for the first time since Dundee at Tynecastle we had a team that came looking for 3 points and therefore had an open game. 

100%

It's so obvious, that kind of stuff shouldn't need explained to anyone, but it is jkb. 

MarkDevriesScores4
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Alloa had 2 half chances ffs. 

Folk posting as although they tore us to bits and missed two sitters. 

Trout boy wasn't beating Gordon with either anyway, even if they were on target. 

Neither were as good as Gnandos header from the corner at 0-0. 

Completely agree. The 2 Alloa “chances” were not even remotely threatening. An absolute walk in the park. 

43 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Yes you can, as when they hit on the break, they are going from a transition meaning they are attacking when they have the ball, so you can counter press them 😉

And that isn't true are you saying teams haven't attacked us this season? Because that simply isn't true. 

23 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

It's so obvious, that kind of stuff shouldn't need explained to anyone, but it is jkb. 

24 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

See above honestly you can't press team that sit in 😂🤔 Jesus so City, Liverpool, Leeds, Bayern etc don't press teams that sit in, your coming away with utter nonsense and really embarrassing yourself. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

👍

👍

Levein OOT!!! ... Stendel IN/OOT!!!

Oh, wait ... both are long gone and we all really should be over it by now.

Hard to get over it when the club is in this tinpot league because of them and we have his protege in the dugout. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

See above honestly you can't press team that sit in 😂🤔 Jesus so City, Liverpool, Leeds, Bayern etc don't press teams that sit in, your coming away with utter nonsense and really embarrassing yourself. 

You’re wasting your time mate they just don’t get it. 

Ted Hastings
47 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Completely agree. The 2 Alloa “chances” were not even remotely threatening. An absolute walk in the park. 

Plus one of them came as a result of a foul on Halliday on the right wing which the referee didn’t give. 

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I must hand it to you, Spit, you’ve got a very vivid imagination..  🙄

:thumbsup:

Thanks 😊

Guest ToqueJambo
44 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes you can, as when they hit on the break, they are going from a transition meaning they are attacking when they have the ball, so you can counter press them 😉

And that isn't true are you saying teams haven't attacked us this season? Because that simply isn't true. 

Mastering the pressing game means spending a lot of time in training working on what to do when the other team has the ball. Are you seriously saying that's what we should be working on when we have around at least 60% of possession in every game even when playing badly?

It's clear as day what's been missing in too many games this season, especially Jan-April. No ball-playing CB, not enough energy and desire and no competent sitting midfielder to orchestrate things. Irving has done it in some games but he doesn't have the defensive qualities of someone like Haring. On top of that, players have missed countless chances in front of goal and we've given up silly goals at the back. Yesterday was much better - more like the start of the season - so let's see if we can push on.

1 minute ago, Spitonastranger said:

Thanks 😊

It’s my pleasure.  👍

Have a good afternoon and evening, here’s hoping for Raith and Dundee to both drop points.  🤞

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They don't just press, they also dominate possession, shots and  they press and they've also had teams built by managers over a few years. 

You are correct tho- you don't get it. 

Pressing is your answer to everything, it's ridiculous, what if both teams press? 

Is your mind blown. Answer that? 

Liverpool are a good example, They  were caught out early in klopps tenure with the press ( often caught out defensively) and again this season as they've had key players injured. 

So they almost prove that to have a successful pressing team, it gets built up over years, you also dominate possession and you need the players, and the key players fit to do it properly. 

Also given the context of both clubs and ambitions, Liverpool under Klopp with fail their main goal this season, while Rab at Hearts will achieve his. 

It's a funny auld game. 

It's also  the best argument yet tho, if Liverpool, Bayern and man City can do it - we should be able to do it as well. 

You've cracked football management, nobody every would have thought of that, ever. 😂

Leeds, a team  who spent the best part of 2 decades out the top flight are not a good example either, they'd have done anything to get promoted back first time. 

Spitonastranger
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s my pleasure.  👍

Have a good afternoon and evening, here’s hoping for Raith and Dundee to both drop points.  🤞

I am imagining deaft for both🤞

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

They don't just press, they also dominate possession, shots and  they press and they've also had teams built by managers over a few years. 

Pressing is your answer to everything, it's ridiculous, what if both teams press? 

Liverpool are a good example, They  were caught out early in klopps tenure with the press ( often caught out defensively) and again this season as they've had key players injured. 

So they almost prove that to have a successful pressing team, it gets built up over years, you also dominate possession and you need the players, and the key players fit to do it properly. 

Also given the context of both clubs and ambitions, Liverpool under Klopp with fail their main goal this season, while Rab at Hearts will achieve his. 

It's a funny auld game. 

It's also  the best argument yet tho, if Liverpool, Bayern and man City can do it - we should be able to do it as well. 

You've cracked football management, nobody every would have thought of that, ever. 😂

Leeds, a team  who spent the best part of 2 decades out the top flight are not a good example either, they'd have done anything to get promoted back first time. 

They also dominate possession funny we do that 🤔 we can do that but according to you we can't press 🤔right. 

Please tell me how Rangers managed to go further in Europe and win the league? Despite Celtic having more money and paying more wages?. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a funny auld game. 

How did Leeds get back to the Premier league, what style of play got them back?. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How did Leeds get back to the Premier league, what style of play got them back?. 

Never watched Leeds once In the championship, couldn't tell you. 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a funny auld game. 

Liverpool will fail this season 😂😂 Well when you consider he won them the Premier League and the Champions League i suppose you can forgive him. 

But Robbie is the way to go 👍