How biased are Scottish referees.........?

Section Q

33 minutes ago, rory78 said:

If that happened Levein should've named the official 

Surprised if he came out with that on national radio if there was no substance to it

1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Biased is a difficult one to prove, but certainly badly incompetent.

Incompetent means everyone would get a fair share of bad decisions.

Do you really think that is the case in Scotland

14 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Surprised if he came out with that on national radio if there was no substance to it

Agreed but why protect the official name and shame and see what the ref had to say about it 

13 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Agreed but why protect the official name and shame and see what the ref had to say about it 

Probably would end up in court or SFA involvement. No witnesses to the utterance unfortunately,so ref would undoubtedly deny it.

I've always thought of them more as very incompetent and also unwilling to give major or controversial decisions against the Old Firm because of the potential repercussions (which has been reinforced over the years by the post-match reactions of fans from either side and from the OF clubs themselves when they disagree with decisions that have gone against them in important games). I suppose that the latter does mean that effectively decisions will have bias.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I've always thought of them more as very incompetent and also unwilling to give major or controversial decisions against the Old Firm because of the potential repercussions (which has been reinforced over the years by the post-match reactions of fans from either side and from the OF clubs themselves when they disagree with decisions that have gone against them in important games). I suppose that the latter does mean that effectively decisions will have bias.

Saves on the cost of new windows too!

No Idle Talk
12 hours ago, Section Q said:

John Hughes says Brian Rice was right to call out referees for old firm favouritism. If it's that blatant though, it might be time for foreign referees. I always thought if we were in an Atlantic type league we'd at least have neutral refs........................Anyone........?

"""Hughes: Half the refs support Old Firm"""

"""Ross County boss John Hughes has backed up his old friend Brian Rice, manager of Hamilton Accies, after his outburst against referees, claiming that at least half of officials in Scotland are Celtic and Rangers fans who don’t care about the smaller clubs."""

Just half the officials? I'd imagine that's a conservative estimate. 

13 hours ago, Section Q said:

John Hughes says Brian Rice was right to call out referees for old firm favouritism. If it's that blatant though, it might be time for foreign referees. I always thought if we were in an Atlantic type league we'd at least have neutral refs........................Anyone........?

"""Hughes: Half the refs support Old Firm"""

"""Ross County boss John Hughes has backed up his old friend Brian Rice, manager of Hamilton Accies, after his outburst against referees, claiming that at least half of officials in Scotland are Celtic and Rangers fans who don’t care about the smaller clubs."""

Except Rice never called out referees for old firm favouritism, he sounded off about a referee's decisions he feels cost his team in a match against St Mirren. Hughes then backs Rice by himself bringing up complaints about Beaton in his team's match against Hibs.

No mention of OF favouritism there.

Only later in the same rant does Hughes go on to talk about refs supporting the OF. (Presumably when he played for Celtc the big tadger never had any concerns with perceived referee bias.)

I think nowadays they are at times incompetent and unacceptable for their mistakes. The likes of Andrew Dallas is officiating above his abilities because of his father. The sfa old boys club. They won't promote better older refs and throw poorer guys up the ladder. I have a mate who's cat 3....its a common opinion.

Scared of giving things against the old firm but for years Peter lawell etc has pulled the strings in Scotland  so yeah inevitable 

Prince Buaben

Referee's have clearly been into football and support teams before climbing the ladder and unfortunately those alliances don't just disappear and subconscious bias can appear as they get higher up the ladder.

In England everything is professional and officials have to declare all football history and are allocated games accordingly.

would never happen here though. Too much common sense.

loveofthegame

I mean it isn't rocket science. We live in a country where unfortunately the overriding majority of football fans are OF fans, referees are all football fans, therefore ergo most referees will be OF fans (whether the SFA and said referees are willing to admit it or not).

That'll never change in Scotland. We are a small country dominated by two teams. The only way to change it would be to bring in English/overseas refs and even then they would be swayed when refereeing the OF due to the huge support of such clubs and the pressure they can apply. That happens in every league in the world I'd imagine (e.g. Man Utd getting more penalties than other teams down south, etc.).

4 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

Referee's have clearly been into football and support teams before climbing the ladder and unfortunately those alliances don't just disappear and subconscious bias can appear as they get higher up the ladder.

In England everything is professional and officials have to declare all football history and are allocated games accordingly.

That's the sticking point, that's what insults us all. 

Things remain the same because they want it to remain the same. 

29 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

I mean it isn't rocket science. We live in a country where unfortunately the overriding majority of football fans are OF fans, referees are all football fans, therefore ergo most referees will be OF fans (whether the SFA and said referees are willing to admit it or not).

That'll never change in Scotland. We are a small country dominated by two teams. The only way to change it would be to bring in English/overseas refs and even then they would be swayed when refereeing the OF due to the huge support of such clubs and the pressure they can apply. That happens in every league in the world I'd imagine (e.g. Man Utd getting more penalties than other teams down south, etc.).

The idea of non Scottish refs for a trial season would be interesting....

fabienleclerq
19 hours ago, rory78 said:

If that happened Levein should've named the official 

Bobby madden against Hamilton at Tynecastle iirc. 

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Prince Buaben said:

Near impossible if they only have weegies refs up here! 

Prince Buaben
10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Near impossible if they only have weegies refs up here! 

True mate.

Surely refs all over Scotland thought that don't support those 2 that deserve a chance. Not just the ones that live in Strathclyde and Lanarkshire

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

True mate.

Surely refs all over Scotland thought that don't support those 2 that deserve a chance. Not just the ones that live in Strathclyde and Lanarkshire

I think it would dilute the problem but fife for example Is chock full of the of fans aswell.