Smoking

Fire_At_The_Disco

Fire_At_The_Disco

Hi guys, I smoked for 37 years and last Sunday decided to throw my smokes in the bin and give it up. 
Well that’s me 6 days in and had some beers tonight and it’s absolutely fine....easy actually. I gave up cold turkey so no devices or patches and it’s been great. I wish I had this sudden genius idea to just toss them years ago. Anyway just putting it out there if anyone wants to pick my brains or needs some support to kick it just give me a shout. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fire_At_The_Disco

• Marvin

• davemclaren

• Auldbenches

Work Friend of my wife quit with her husband a few years ago. They put what they'd spend in a savings account and now (pre covid) they're cruising the Caribbean every year. 

You'll save a *** fortune!! 

Auldbenches
42 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Hi guys, I smoked for 37 years and last Sunday decided to throw my smokes in the bin and give it up. 
Well that’s me 6 days in and had some beers tonight and it’s absolutely fine....easy actually. I gave up cold turkey so no devices or patches and it’s been great. I wish I had this sudden genius idea to just toss them years ago. Anyway just putting it out there if anyone wants to pick my brains or needs some support to kick it just give me a shout. 

Got one in my mouth as I type and despise the fact that it's got me.  

I will one day but you feel like you are jumping off a cliff just throwing them away.  I tried vaping but couldn't do it without some Tobacco as back up.  

Why the sudden motivation?  

Looking for inspiration.  

Doctor FinnBarr
13 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I will one day but you feel like you are jumping off a cliff just throwing them away.  I tried vaping but couldn't do it without some Tobacco as back up.  

Looking for inspiration.  

Keep doing it mate, we're paying for these fecks to complain about us

Be careful about complacency.

It's easy to assume you've conquered it, but the addiction can creep up on you. The mind can play all sort of tricks.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

On July 12th...some day eh😂 I quit 5 years ago. Like you I’d smoked for donkeys years. I don’t know what happened but something clicked and I’d attempted to stop numerous times before. I’ve never hardly thought about a smoke since and honestly I hate the smell too. 
You’ll be sound man💪🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

It's the easiest thing in the world to give up.

I attempted to give up hundreds of times knowing full well I didn't want to, when I decided properly that I was probably killing myself and getting niggly coughs and chest infections, I gave up overnight. 

It really was that simple.

3 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Well done!  Your health, and the health of the people around you, will be better.  The financial savings are a bonus.

6 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Looking for inspiration.  

Almost exactly how I feel. Never vaped. Have 3 a day during week but 10/15 weekend drinking. Hate it... But love it. I smoke b&h and partner smoked silk cut silver. Think if she wants to give up that would be a start for me. Probably costs £60 a week 😔

Fire_At_The_Disco
6 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Looking for inspiration.  

It was on my mind for months and years mate. I looked into it and seen that the only true way to give up with a higher success rate is cold turkey. If you can get over the 1st 3 days of the physical withdrawal then that means all the nicotine is out the body and your quit becomes mental only. I nailed a phrase Never take another puff as I know that one puff will make me an addict again. It’s a great saying and I’m honestly very confident that I’m keeping this quit. If you use patches or vapes then you are still using nicotine and your chances become much less. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
7 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How much do you reckon you'll save each week?

I shit you not, just 6 days in, I was literally throwing away a new car every 3 years 

E0CDE1D8-DA16-4F7B-8A83-E046A724DDD8.jpeg

Fire_At_The_Disco
8 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Almost exactly how I feel. Never vaped. Have 3 a day during week but 10/15 weekend drinking. Hate it... But love it. I smoke b&h and partner smoked silk cut silver. Think if she wants to give up that would be a start for me. Probably costs £60 a week 😔

Mate I was the same, honestly I was the absolute worst. It’s a no-brainer, get past the 1st 3 days and it becomes mind over matter. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well done!  Your health, and the health of the people around you, will be better.  The financial savings are a bonus.

Absolutely Maple, I’m now looking forward to the rest of my life instead of worrying about my health. It’s also like having nearly £400 a month I never knew I had. I’m gonna enjoy spending that. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
5 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I attempted to give up hundreds of times knowing full well I didn't want to, when I decided properly that I was probably killing myself and getting niggly coughs and chest infections, I gave up overnight. 

It shocked me mate, I actually crushed a near full pack, binned them and went to bed knowing I was not going to smoke again. What a sense of freedom, I’m embracing it now. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Work Friend of my wife quit with her husband a few years ago. They put what they'd spend in a savings account and now (pre covid) they're cruising the Caribbean every year. 

You'll save a *** fortune!! 

Looking forward to the money tbh😀

Auldbenches
18 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I'm about £35 a week.  I'd be saving nearly 150 a month.  You would love it if you were given that as a monthly pay rise.  I'm trying to find tbe inspiration to stop.  The health side hast scared me so maybe focusing on the money will help. 

Hate it but it's got a grip of me 

Auldbenches
25 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

It was on my mind for months and years mate. I looked into it and seen that the only true way to give up with a higher success rate is cold turkey. If you can get over the 1st 3 days of the physical withdrawal then that means all the nicotine is out the body and your quit becomes mental only. I nailed a phrase Never take another puff as I know that one puff will make me an addict again. It’s a great saying and I’m honestly very confident that I’m keeping this quit. If you use patches or vapes then you are still using nicotine and your chances become much less. 

It's the thought of it rather than the reality.  I think it will just be like having having the cold for s few days and then it's gone.    

Did you plan ahead or just sort if that day?  

I'll get there as I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a smoker. 

The most stupid thing mankind has ever consumed.  

Auldbenches
5 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Was the difference just actually meaning it rather than the thought of stopping?  

I even tried that Alan carr book and the best thing in it was bot to see Your self as an ex smoker but a non smoker.  A cheap bit of psychology but you can see how it helps.

So the answer is really wanting to stop? 

Well done. Its a disgusting habit. Both by parents smoked when i was growing up (no one cared about second hand smoke in the 90s) and I think that had a positive impact on me and my sister as we are both non smokers.

Edited by Jamie Walker Tash

Gave up years (decades) ago.

Was going up the Mound upstairs on a bus one winter’s morning - it was cold and wet, everyone was smoking and they were wearing winter coats that were wet and stunk of that & fag smoke (mine included).  The windows were smoky and fogged up and with all the coughing and hacking it was like a chest ward.

Looked at the cigarette and thought ‘**** this, what am I doing?’.  Stopped there and then.

Fire_At_The_Disco
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

It's the thought of it rather than the reality.  I think it will just be like having having the cold for s few days and then it's gone.    

Did you plan ahead or just sort if that day?  

I'll get there as I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a smoker. 

The most stupid thing mankind has ever consumed.  

Before you go to bed tonight just Bin any cigs and get rid of any other smoking related shit. 
Go to bed and get up and don’t smoke, it really is that simple, hard yes but also simple. 
I was the worlds worst 25 a day for 37 years and stopped just like that

Also remember that anything you done as a smoker you can do equally well if not better as an ex-smoker 👍

Edited by Tambo_The_Jambo

I’m a non smoker but good luck to you.

My old boss gave it up years ago. I mind him quiting the day after a budget.

Instead of buying fags, he put what money he would spend on them into a jar.

After about a year or so, he had enough money in it to completely redo his kitchen.

The money you’ll save is incredible.

Well done to the folks who have given up. 👏

Well done in advance to those who are going to. Get stuck into the challenge and you’ll do great. 👍

I always found that the first few weeks are the easiest, then it's as if my mind is trying to catch me out.

Been off them 3 months now. Even walking past others smoking doesn't bother me.

My main test is always the same, when having a drink with my mates. As soon as Jim half pissed and I smell the baccie (tipped fags dont do it for me), that's when i usually give in.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I shit you not, just 6 days in, I was literally throwing away a new car every 3 years 

E0CDE1D8-DA16-4F7B-8A83-E046A724DDD8.jpeg

Well done to you for stopping.

Fortunately I’ve never smoked but knew the price of cigarettes.

The money saved is astronomical.

Obviously the health hid extremely important.

I would imagine it’s hard but keep at it.

Considering the worries you’ve had through this COVID-19.

Good luck.

Auldbenches
2 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Before you go to bed tonight just Bin any cigs and get rid of any other smoking related shit. 
Go to bed and get up and don’t smoke, it really is that simple, hard yes but also simple. 
I was the worlds worst 25 a day for 37 years and stopped just like that

Also remember that anything you done as a smoker you can do equally well if not better as an ex-smoker 👍

There isn't one single disadvantage in giving up.  

I have tried a couple of times and lasted 2 days.   The first day when you think you are up for it aren't that bad.  I need to avoid shops for a few days as passing the bacci counter got me the last time. 

Thanks for the advice at a good time.  

Have you not been a bit grumpy?  

12 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I went cold turkey on the fags 18 years ago. There are times when you really need one but the craving only lasts 5 mins, get over that then you forget why you even started in the first place. The savings can go to FOH or a holiday if you stick the fag money in a jar, you'll see how quickly it fills up. Keep it up and well done 👍

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I’m a non smoker but good luck to you.

My old boss gave it up years ago. I mind him quiting the day after a budget.

Instead of buying fags, he put what money he would spend on them into a jar.

After about a year or so, he had enough money in it to completely redo his kitchen.

The money you’ll save is incredible.

I used to enjoy a cigarette however the Jewish blood in me made me give up when they went over £5 for a pack of 20. 😂 Thank Christ too when you see how much they cost today.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, superjack said:

I always found that the first few weeks are the easiest, then it's as if my mind is trying to catch me out.

Been off them 3 months now. Even walking past others smoking doesn't bother me.

My main test is always the same, when having a drink with my mates. As soon as Jim half pissed and I smell the baccie (tipped fags dont do it for me), that's when i usually give in.

Give up the bevy, win win. more cash in pocket.

I've known many smokers over the years who have quit, or tried to.

The ones who cut back and cut back, trying to get to zero, always failed.  The ones who succeeded were the ones who went cold turkey.

manaliveits105
13 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Have your bins been emptied yet and if not where do you live ?

Jambo-Jimbo

I smoked upwards to 30 a day for about 25 years, I had tried to stop several times, but after a few weeks always fell by the wayside, in the end it took a heart attack to give me the kick up the arse that I needed, that and unlimited support from the NHS in the form of an open ended approach in the form of patches, gum etc, there was no set time limit or even plan to ween me off the cigs, it was however long and whatever it takes.

In June it will be 10 years since I stopped.

Салатные палочки

I tried many times to stop over the years but I missed it loads. So now I've basically swapped my addiction to tobacco to an addiction to an e-cig. I have saved loads though over the years. Probably spend about £30 a month on juices, coils etc but still a saving. 

Well done though man and keep it up. When work colleagues walk past me after having a fag I'm actually disgusted that I used to smell like that. 

SectionDJambo

The biggest incentive you should have in not starting to smoke, or giving up completely, is the knowledge that you will not be financing some of most despicable companies known to man.

They are knowingly peddling death and disease. Up until fairly recently, their brands were everywhere in the public eye, from sports sponsorship to advertising their product as being synonymous with glamour and an exciting lifestyle. They still openly attract the young to their product, in the third world, by using advertising methods that have long since been banned by many western governments.

Back in the day, servicemen were given cigarettes in their ration box, and it was an acceptable thing to smoke cigarettes anywhere. It was regarded by many as the working man's luxury. So it was understandable why many people took up smoking. These days, why young people start smoking, given their cost and hazard to health, is mystifying to me. 

I know that some would argue that alcohol brings more misery and death to people. But that doesn't make it right what cigarette companies have been doing to millions of people for years.

1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I had my last ciggie on 3 Jan. Also stopped cold turkey. Will power is all you need

Well done loon 👍

been here before

I read somewhere that smoking is the only legal thing that if done correctly will go on to kill around 70% of its participants.

Greedy Jambo

Back in the day, they used to think smoking was healthy, doctors would hand them out to patients etc. 

That's the history lesson over for today. 

Neilson oot. 

35 minutes ago, been here before said:

I read somewhere that smoking is the only legal thing that if done correctly will go on to kill around 70% of its participants.

I’m now curious how you can do it incorrectly. It’s a pretty basic process to be fair. 

been here before
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m now curious how you can do it incorrectly. It’s a pretty basic process to be fair. 

Dont inhale, ligjt the wrong end, i dont know... Im not a smoker.

Mind you Ive just seen a clip of Miranda so now seems a good time to start. How much is a pack of 20?

crunchy frog

This is good, I'm liking this,a positive thread. I am a smoker who wants to quit so all positive replies are giving me help here. Mind over matter is right.

A Boy Named Crow

My mate and his missus were fairly committed smokers,  until about six years ago.

He knows the date of his last smoke, and that he's now over 2,000 days. One if the things that helps him is the idea of the signs you get in factories "x days since our last accident" or the like.  He never wants the count to go back to zero.

My dear old mum smoked from when she was about 14. When she was in her mid sixties the doctor told her to stop immediately as she was showing signs of emphysema. She came home, told us she had to stop, finished the pack she had (she doesn’t like to waste money) and that was that. Never had or craved another one, she’s 90 in a couple of months. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
24 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

This is good, I'm liking this,a positive thread. I am a smoker who wants to quit so all positive replies are giving me help here. Mind over matter is right.

Frog it’s no easy and no one should ever say it is .....but it’s also not hard, throw them away, go to bed wake up, don’t smoke, eat and repeat .....I’m living my life . Tonight’s drink of choice is a bramble 😂

magic roundabout

Well done the OP its not easy!

I was in similar situation....Smoked 20 a day for 35 years!!  Gave up 9 months ago (albeit I'm  vaping).  I use a tracker app which helps with the motivation.  So for I've saved £2,488 and "Regained life" of 41 days 

Doctor FinnBarr
36 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

Well done the OP its not easy!

I was in similar situation....Smoked 20 a day for 35 years!!  Gave up 9 months ago (albeit I'm  vaping).  I use a tracker app which helps with the motivation.  So for I've saved £2,488 and "Regained life" of 41 days 

So, what you going to do with 41 days of "regained life"? Do you know when the 41 days begin?

Auldbenches
10 hours ago, been here before said:

Dont inhale, ligjt the wrong end, i dont know... Im not a smoker.

Mind you Ive just seen a clip of Miranda so now seems a good time to start. How much is a pack of 20?

Watching Miranda would have me snorting Tobacco.  Janey godley.  Now that's a genius...

The first step to quitting is....    not having that cigarette first thing in the morning (when you get up). If you get over that initial craving, then its fairly easy to quit.