*** Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South Official Match Day Thread ***

rmreido

1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

Agreed. Most good players have obvious attributes but I wouldn't say Halkett has any defensive ones really. 

He's not quick, his heading and tackling don't stand out and he rarely shows any aggression. 

He always looks good as a makeshift striker though! 

Halkett is 💩 

Another part of the reason we finished bottom last year.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully she would take advice from JJ and Savage who are the senior football people outwith the management team. 

That would be the sensible thing for her to do unfortunately, Budge appears to be devoid of any common sense.

john thomas
1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

Agreed. Most good players have obvious attributes but I wouldn't say Halkett has any defensive ones really. 

He's not quick, his heading and tackling don't stand out and he rarely shows any aggression. 

Not especially defending Halkett , or most other players , but that is simply untrue

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

More front than Blackpool.

Horrendous

DD779802-49FF-4169-A7CD-B2D9C955D468.jpeg

They'd need to pay me more than that to watch it. :mad: 

Kirky Jambo

I get why the club has to charge a ridiculous fee to avoid indirectly shafting season ticket holders.

but does anyone seriously pay £18.50 for the coverage we offer? Nothing against Laurie and Sandison who seem decent and fair but the quality generally is poor, particularly the replays

Just now, everton_jambo said:

I get why the club has to charge a ridiculous fee to avoid indirectly shafting season ticket holders.

but does anyone seriously pay £18.50 for the coverage we offer? Nothing against Laurie and Sandison who seem decent and fair but the quality generally is poor, particularly the replays

I have always found the coverage to be pretty decent. We have seen some real shit ones from other clubs 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

That's JJ in the bad books then.

knowing Ann she will probably bin JJ before neilson.

if that happens all bets are off. 

Firget tomorrow, Im already looking forward to next week's game.

It'll be a tough match but I'm confident that we'll beat Leicester. Otherwise whatsthe point? I'd be as well watching Hearts

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

knowing Ann she will probably bin JJ before neilson.

if that happens all bets are off. 

No doubt. The corners will be filled in before Neilson is binned.

It will be interesting to see if there is a response from the players, if not they have chucked it and want him gone.

skinnybob72

I have no idea what the score will be but I can confidently predict the game will like watching paint dry. 

14 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It will be interesting to see if there is a response from the players, if not they have chucked it and want him gone.

It doesn't matter now, it's beyond rock bottom and I doubt the majority give a toss  - Neilson has made it clear there will be a clear out next season so he's relying on  handful of new signings to deliver something in the remaining games.  Thank christ for the 16 point lead. 

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Regarding Halkett , out of boredom against ayr I counted his challenges , he won 18 out of 19 arial challenges , it was only ayr but that’s not too bad a success rate . 
Im not comparing him ( for obvious reasons ) but the late great Sandy Jardine didn’t show much aggression. 

anyways , normally I’d say I’d take a crap performance but a win , not tomorrow , it better be a win AND a good performance , followed by neilson handing in his resignation ( I can but hope) .

no ****ing excuses tomorrow , not one. 

1 hour ago, everton_jambo said:

We've had some pretty poor match streams in the previous 4 seasons but this year there has definitely been an improvement and the commentary team are by far the best in the league. 

Replays are always an issue even with the regular TV broadcasters.  You watch the Scotland v Austria game yesterday?    Here, the ESPN commentary was abysmal and some of the replays were bizarre.  On the other hand.......it's only $5.95 for a month of live games.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fixtures/_/date/20210328

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Halkett is 💩 

Another part of the reason we finished bottom last year.

He'll be gone in the summer. Nowhere near good enough and along with Poppadom hands, one of the main reasons for shipping so many goals last season. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Regarding Halkett , out of boredom against ayr I counted his challenges , he won 18 out of 19 arial challenges , it was only ayr but that’s not too bad a success rate . 
Im not comparing him ( for obvious reasons ) but the late great Sandy Jardine didn’t show much aggression. 

anyways , normally I’d say I’d take a crap performance but a win , not tomorrow , it better be a win AND a good performance , followed by neilson handing in his resignation ( I can but hope) .

no ****ing excuses tomorrow , not one. 

Aye, I think Halkett is not too bad. 

We have been missing Souttar all season so our defence was always going to be unsettled. 

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

The commentary is a matter of personal taste, personally I like it, but the video coverage is pretty good imo, compares well with the BBC.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

We have been missing Souttar all season so our defence was always going to be unsettled. 

Souttar was as shite as anyone last season though.

PortonianJambo
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not to bad??You’re having a laugh.He’s slow, we’ve lost countless silly goals this season that our central defenders, of which he’s one of course, should have dealt with.He comes up for our corners, and rarely, if ever, wins in the opposition box.He threatens to put long throws into the box and rarely does so.I think he looks heavier than when he joined us.His attempted clearances leave us in bother.He passes across the back more often than not, when he should be taking the ball forward, which I do think he’s capable of, but doesn’t do.

PortonianJambo
Just now, PortonianJambo said:

Not too bad??You’re having a laugh.He’s slow, we’ve lost countless silly goals this season that our central defenders, of which he’s one of course, should have dealt with.He comes up for our corners, and rarely, if ever, wins in the opposition box.He threatens to put long throws into the box and rarely does so.I think he looks heavier than when he joined us.His attempted clearances leave us in bother.He passes across the back more often than not, when he should be taking the ball forward, which I do think he’s capable of, but doesn’t do.

portobellojambo1
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I'm the same, I've been a bit confused at times by the comments passed about him on here. He was very good for us when he first arrived, was always playing in the central defensive position, and had John Souttar alongside him. And he chipped in with goals when we were attacking. I think it was the Evening News I read something in recently which said that when he is playing alongside either Popescu or Berra he is effectively doing the job of two people. And you notice at many of our corners, free kicks in recent times that Popescu seems to have been the man that was the target for such things, but his problem is that if he tried to head a brick wall he would miss it, or put it over the bar.

Anyway, as for tomorrow I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting anything particularly positive unfortunately. The one thing that all involved must really be pleased with is the fact that due to this pandemic there will be no fans in the stadium. Tomorrow had the potential to get very nasty and very vocal.

lost in space

This match is not important.

If we win 8-0, it will make no/ little difference to many/most supporters.

Neilson has to go.

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, PortonianJambo said:

Not to bad??You’re having a laugh.He’s slow, we’ve lost countless silly goals this season that our central defenders, of which he’s one of course, should have dealt with.He comes up for our corners, and rarely, if ever, wins in the opposition box.He threatens to put long throws into the box and rarely does so.I think he looks heavier than when he joined us.His attempted clearances leave us in bother.He passes across the back more often than not, when he should be taking the ball forward, which I do think he’s capable of, but doesn’t do.

It’s Friday night and we’ve all had a long week so forget my post and let’s not argue 😂

We do, as a squad, look very unfit though. 

PortonianJambo

While I’m on about slow defenders, I should add that Berra (age/ injuries catching up) and Haring (injuries too) are not quick enough as defenders.Popescu is, is prepared to bring the ball forward, but needs to pick his moments when he should do so, and not leave us short without cover at the back.Also loses control due to lack of concentration.But as a central defender, he’s the quickest we’ve got - unless you play Michael Smith there.

Rick Sanchez

Halkett or Popescu ain't what we require. Embarrassing to admit but I can't help but admit that I've been jealous of Aberdeen over recent seasons.

They typically bottle big games but can usually despatch of the lesser teams. Halkett was great in the final against Celtic but I wouldn't trust him on a standard Saturday afternoon at Hamilton.

I think Aberdeen will miss McInnes and stability tbh. I would gladly sacrifice a couple of big game wins for a steady 3rd or 4th and not getting the utter piss ripped out of us by diddy teams.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm the same, I've been a bit confused at times by the comments passed about him on here. He was very good for us when he first arrived, was always playing in the central defensive position, and had John Souttar alongside him. And he chipped in with goals when we were attacking. I think it was the Evening News I read something in recently which said that when he is playing alongside either Popescu or Berra he is effectively doing the job of two people. And you notice at many of our corners, free kicks in recent times that Popescu seems to have been the man that was the target for such things, but his problem is that if he tried to head a brick wall he would miss it, or put it over the bar.

Anyway, as for tomorrow I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting anything particularly positive unfortunately. The one thing that all involved must really be pleased with is the fact that due to this pandemic there will be no fans in the stadium. Tomorrow had the potential to get very nasty and very vocal.

I think he played with Souttar in our first 11 league games and we won 1 of them, not sure if that’s doing great?

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, PortonianJambo said:

While I’m on about slow defenders, I should add that Berra (age/ injuries catching up) and Haring (injuries too) are not quick enough as defenders.Popescu is, is prepared to bring the ball forward, but needs to pick his moments when he should do so, and not leave us short without cover at the back.Also loses control due to lack of concentration.But as a central defender, he’s the quickest we’ve got - unless you play Michael Smith there.

Pace definitely isn’t his problem, just the lapses in concentration and he can be hotheaded. Cummings gave him a dunt and the obligatory chat and he lost it for about 15 minutes and fouled him a few times and was booked. He’s a bit like a poor mans young Zal but older and not as good. 

PortonianJambo
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s Friday night and we’ve all had a long week so forget my post and let’s not argue 😂

We do, as a squad, look very unfit though. 

Agree, it’s been a “long” week, because we want to rectify what happened “up north”.

Three points is all I want tomorrow.Last minute penalty will do, but would rather it was more comfortable and over in our favour by half time.

Just let’s get into the PL, and worry about next season when it comes.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Halkett or Popescu ain't what we require. Embarrassing to admit but I can't help but admit that I've been jealous of Aberdeen over recent seasons.

They typically bottle big games but can usually despatch of the lesser teams. Halkett was great in the final against Celtic but I wouldn't trust him on a standard Saturday afternoon at Hamilton.

I think Aberdeen will miss McInnes and stability tbh. I would gladly sacrifice a couple of big game wins for a steady 3rd or 4th and not getting the utter piss ripped out of us by diddy teams.

They do usually have about 6 CHs as he likes to put more defenders on as the game goes on, more defensive than Neilson and Levein. 

PortonianJambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pace definitely isn’t his problem, just the lapses in concentration and he can be hotheaded. Cummings gave him a dunt and the obligatory chat and he lost it for about 15 minutes and fouled him a few times and was booked. He’s a bit like a poor mans young Zal but older and not as good. 

👍

Hectormasson
17 minutes ago, lost in space said:

This match is not important.

If we win 8-0, it will make no/ little difference to many/most supporters.

Neilson has to go.

Hectormasson
Just now, Hectormasson said:

Could score a hat full in last games makes no odds , he has to go and her with him, & his bootroom staff also,

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We've struggled since Djoum left. 

Djoum was a great player for us yet never appreciated. Rarely wasted a booking, knew where and when to foul and looked after the ball. 

What that does, breaks up momentum, gives your defence a rest and opportunity to organise and at the other end bringing people in. 

It wasn't a glamorous role and quite a few didn't understand it or get it.

But look at the goals conceded since he left. Leaves you chasing games. 

Following the abject displays defensively against Dundee and Raith,  Neilson went cautious. The following Raith game is an anomaly. 

He has gone cautious because our midfield is lightweight, even with Halliday. 

The problems are not really surprising to me. A weak midfield that cant protect a weak central defence, Neilson feared for his job in January, but has hopelessly over compensated. 

Whoever's in charge needs those 4 players, Souttar if staying fit is a good start 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Djoum was a great player for us yet never appreciated. Rarely wasted a booking, knew where and when to foul and looked after the ball. 

What that does, breaks up momentum, gives your defence a rest and opportunity to organise and at the other end bringing people in. 

Following the abject displays defensively against Dundee and Raith,  Neilson went cautious. The following Raith game is an anomaly. 

The problems are not really surprising to me. A weak midfield that cant protect a weak central defence, Neilson feared for his job in January, but has hopelessly over compensated. 

Whoever's in charge needs those 4 players, Souttar if staying fit is a good start 

Spot on, was never replaced properly. He’s not helped himself by playing Irving there who couldn’t tackle a fish supper and does how best work further forward anyway. 
Halliday isn’t great there either and Haring isn’t back to his best. 
We need to sign a real beast in there soon. 

53 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

A very perceptive post.

3 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

The coverage is a disgrace - regular loss of stream and continual drivel from our very own Laurel and Hardy!

29 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Really? 1 game and your judging him? If my memory serves me correctly he played well in the games he got at the start of the season

But was culpable for their winner.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I agree with this. Don’t mind Halkett at all.

He also seems to actually care. That shouldn’t make him exceptional in any way, but I’m afraid it does. The boy was greeting after the Cup final. 

59 minutes ago, PortonianJambo said:

Agree, it’s been a “long” week, because we want to rectify what happened “up north”.

Three points is all I want tomorrow.Last minute penalty will do, but would rather it was more comfortable and over in our favour by half time.

Just let’s get into the PL, and worry about next season when it comes.

I really want 3 points tomorrow but another shite performance and a scrappy 1-0 win will do me. It would be another nail in Neilson’s coffin!

3 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Not looking forward to watching the game tomorrow at all.

Will we come out of the blocks determined, or will they get Robbie sacked?

Will be interesting to see the attitude tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Australis said:

Deffo. Might even be worth a fiver at Hearts 4 or more goals? 👀

12 minutes ago, Australis said:

Think it's fairly certain that QOS will come at us from the start pressing high to try and unsettle us .

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Think it's fairly certain that QOS will come at us from the start pressing high to try and unsettle us .

That works both ways though. 

No logic to this considering the games so far this year. Boyce Hat-Trick incoming. 5-0.... This wine is strong.....

Papers over the cracks tho.