Pizza ovens

graygo

mrmarkus1981

I've used mine once. The weather hasn't been good enough. Making round pizza is a tough gig, couldn't get it right

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• milky_26

• allyby

• Bozi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I've used mine once. The weather hasn't been good enough. Making round pizza is a tough gig, couldn't get it right

All about practice mate...im no expert but loads better now than at first...

Made the Poolish last night and will make the dough with it around lunchtime for tonights pizzas......Nduja and mushroom for me  

• 1 month later...

New out is the Ooni Karu 16, bit expensive though at £700 a pop, I think Ooni's prices are way overboard now.

Dean Winchester
1 hour ago, allyby said:

New out is the Ooni Karu 16, bit expensive though at £700 a pop, I think Ooni's prices are way overboard now.

Doesn't even include the gas attachment so you need to shell out another £100 nearly if you want to use gas :lol: 

Started buying frozen pizza dough balls in Tesco. 

Quality. Leave them oot the freezer for 4 hours to prove in their wee bags. Each dough ball good for a 12inch pizza.  Roll it with a rolling pin and you are hot to trot. So much easier and still very tasty. 

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Got a email from Ooni’s today telling me my ovens been delayed to early July now. Summer will be over by the time it arrives. 

That's the trouble with emails and the lack of face to face business in general. You can't tuck a couple of £20s into its breast pocket to ensure you get the service you're after.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I'm getting the new karu 16. My pro 16 is stuck on the evergiven so they have offered a 20% discount on original order or 40% store credit or upgrade to karu 16 at no extra cost. I have to say their customer relations are top class, any problems with ovens they replace with no problem but you are paying a premium in the beginning I suppose. 

Edited by jackal

On 16/06/2021 at 21:35, Sarah O said:

Started buying frozen pizza dough balls in Tesco. 

Quality. Leave them oot the freezer for 4 hours to prove in their wee bags. Each dough ball good for a 12inch pizza.  Roll it with a rolling pin and you are hot to trot. So much easier and still very tasty. 

If you're going down the frozen route worth trying these, very good and a snip at about £18 delivered.

https://www.thomasridley.co.uk/country-range-doughballs-270g-03356.html

• 3 weeks later...
highlandjambo3
13 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Finally got ours delivered. Any recommendations on a good table for it for the garden?

Build one……I built this for my new barrel BBQ, total cost of material was about £50 from B & Q.  Top is plastic with garden posts treated and sealed at the base with flat roof weather coating…..it’s solid, 3 people could stand on this easily, it will last for years:

10A18BA4-55A0-4957-A543-1C75ED346AF6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dean Winchester said:

Finally got ours delivered. Any recommendations on a good table for it for the garden?

as highland jambo says build your own, if you dont want to or unsure about doing it any cheap sturdy table wil do as long as it is big enough

i know this says £75 but something like this would work

https://www.diy.com/departments/denia-wooden-table/1561082_BQ.prd

11 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

There is next to no heat comes out below my oven but it is gas, Koda 16. I sit it on one of these no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTM4HNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7ZVME5072M9R5AG6CMZ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This one isn't available but there are loads of similar alternatives, I'll build one one day.

8 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

There is next to no heat comes out below my oven but it is gas, Koda 16. I sit it on one of these no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTM4HNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7ZVME5072M9R5AG6CMZ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This one isn't available but there are loads of similar alternatives, I'll build one one day.

mine is wood/charcoal and same with no heat coming out below my oven

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Cooked first pizza on Sunday. It cools remarkably quickly once you got temperature up. 

Biggest difficulty I had was turning the pizza in the oven. 

Just got dough from a local Italian resteraunt, might make my own dough tiday though, 

Making your own dough is great, just get decent flour...I get my stuff from CQS at Kirkiliston [Italian wholesaler]..., just emailed them on the off chance they would sell to an individual, cracking stuff at wholesale prices!!

As always, you tube has the answer for the recipes....look up a Poolish recipe - need to start it 24hrs in advance though

And get a turning peel, I thought it was maybe a gimmick as I already had a shovel type peel to take the pizzas out - but the circular turning peel is the answer for turning it when its in the oven....

We do pizzas nearly every weekend now, but steaks are excellent in it as well, as is chicken tikka etc

2 minutes ago, moz said:

Making your own dough is great, just get decent flour...I get my stuff from CQS at Kirkiliston [Italian wholesaler]..., just emailed them on the off chance they would sell to an individual, cracking stuff at wholesale prices!!

As always, you tube has the answer for the recipes....look up a Poolish recipe - need to start it 24hrs in advance though

And get a turning peel, I thought it was maybe a gimmick as I already had a shovel type peel to take the pizzas out - but the circular turning peel is the answer for turning it when its in the oven....

We do pizzas nearly every weekend now, but steaks are excellent in it as well, as is chicken tikka etc

yep flour is key, make sure you get 00 flour. also the ooni website has some easy dough recipes

• 1 year later...

Getting a pellet fired pizza oven and can't wait to (put on 5 stone) make some lovely homemade pizzas, anyone have any tips, hints or advice on which wood pellets to buy? 

Ahhhh we have the gas Ooni (so this isn't pellet advice) the pellets just seemed a complete faff hence the gas, we fire it on and leave it to get to temp without having to keep an eye on it and battle keeping the temperature, and the tidy up is a piece of piss.

- I'd make batch's of home made dough and freeze

- I'd have 2 peels, one for making them on and 'launching' and a second round one for turning the pizza in the oven

- Don't be tempted to fire a pizza on when it's not up to temperature

- Don't get your peel wet or you're in for a torrid time launching

- Don't launch if you have any doubts about it coming clean off the peel

- Don't launch with round things as a topping (olives for example), because they all race to the back and burn, slice anything to keep it in place

- Enjoy being tubbier

- The pizzas are unreal

Ooni owner. 16” gas.

As above and some sound advice regarding shooting.

First few attempts resulted in everything on top going in the oven with the base left firmly on the peel.

This results in lots of smoke, black marks on the stone and extreme hunger and frustration.

Use plenty of flour or semolina when making the pizza up and plenty on the peel. 

A wee tip I learned.

When about to shoot the pizza lift an edge up and gently blow. This lifts the pizza base off the peel. Shoot it straight away and it will go in the oven nicely.

Ooni pellet oven for me. 

I buy the ooni pellets and use them tbh, probably others out there but much the same. 

Ooni also do sourdough base doughballs, if you cant be ersed making your own these are outstanding!

Make your own pizza sauce and enjoy what you are about to create. 

You wont look back. 

Edit - Instead of flour I use semolina (what dominoes use) for the peel, pizza never ever sicks. 

Edited by mbhmfc

Ooni karu 12 owner here, wood and optional gas attachment I mainly use charcoal to start and blocks of wood and it works great. I would suggest getting an IR thermometer to make sure your oven is up to temperature before you start the cooking.

The blow technique (behave) where you lift the edge of yiu pizza and lightly blow under it just before you are going to transfer it to the oven helps in stopping it sticking. 

Got the Karu I think it's called. Wood fired. 

Made dough a few times, pain in the arse. Started buying ready made dough balls in the supermarket frozen section. They are magnificent and cut down on so much effort. 

You can also buy dough balls from the chilled aisle, also brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Got the Karu I think it's called. Wood fired. 

Made dough a few times, pain in the arse. Started buying ready made dough balls in the supermarket frozen section. They are magnificent and cut down on so much effort. 

You can also buy dough balls from the chilled aisle, also brilliant. 

Is the frozen stuff you get the northern dough company stuff? If so I've not tries their beer crust one but their standard one is good

Just now, milky_26 said:

Is the frozen stuff you get the northern dough company stuff? If so I've not tries their beer crust one but their standard one is good

Maybe, I can't remember the brand. Get it in Tesco though. 

Make a Neopolitan pizza dough by making a poolish first.  Absolutely outstanding flavour and texture...  https://www.thepizzabubble.com/neapolitan-pizza-dough-with-poolish/neapolitan-pizza-with-poolish-recipe

Use either a perforated metal peel or a wooden peel to launch your pizza.  You need to add more flour (or semolina) on a solid metal peel for launching, which can add a burnt flavour to the base, which ruins it.

Use good quality tinned tomatoes for making the sauce.  Mutti brand chopped tinned tomatoes are excellent as they contain 99.8% tomatoes.  Almost all other tinned tomatoes are only about 60-65% tomatoes.  Much more flavour with the Mutti brand.  Better still, buy DOP San Marzano.

If you're making a Canzone, don't make it too high as it can catch fire!  I learned that the hard way!

28 minutes ago, Bozi said:

This is all golden, made dough loads of times but glad to be making the splash, gas fired is interesting but commited now 

I've not got one but used a few in lodges/cabins I've stayed in as well as eaten those cooked at friends houses etc. Personally, I much prefer the pellet ones. The gas ones are boring imo.

Edited by Taffin

Still got mine, still using it fairly regularly, still loving it.

Had a Dominoes pizza a week ago down in Blackpool, never again.

Had a pizza in a restaurant in Florence before the game, wil do it again.

• 4 months later...

Officially Summertime so the Ooni will be coming out of hibernation later today.

2 day poolish dough on it's final proof.

IMG_20230326_100959530_HDR_copy_1224x1632.jpg

Mark_Mywords
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Officially Summertime so the Ooni will be coming out of hibernation later today.

What a great idea using upside down bowls.  Never thought of doing it that way.

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Mark_Mywords said:

What a great idea using upside down bowls.  Never thought of doing it that way.

:thumbsup:

Need to poke a pinhole in the tubs though or the expanding gases blow them off. 👍

Mark_Mywords
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Need to poke a pinhole in the tubs though or the expanding gases blow them off. 👍

Cheers for that. :) 

I bought an Ooni one and found out it's harder to make a decent Pizza than it looks. 

Now it lives in the shed beside all the other shite I thought was a good idea at the time. :lol:

indianajones
4 hours ago, graygo said:

Do you freeze these? 

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Do you freeze these? 

Yes, I'm using 3 today and freezing 3.

Into the fridge overnight then about 5 hours at room temperature to defrost.

indianajones
27 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes, I'm using 3 today and freezing 3.

Into the fridge overnight then about 5 hours at room temperature to defrost.

Sounds good. I need to get one of these ovens. 

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Sounds good. I need to get one of these ovens. 

They're great but I'm planning to cook at 5 and the wind's picked up and it's got awfy grey. 😟

Wish I had waited and got the new electric Volt from Ooni so that I could cook inside today.

mrmarkus1981_1
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I bought an Ooni one and found out it's harder to make a decent Pizza than it looks. 

Now it lives in the shed beside all the other shite I thought was a good idea at the time. :lol:

Same, expensive ornament 😂😂😂

18 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Anyone got the Volt, and if so, what do you think of it?

Wish I did, ended up cooking in the garage yesterday with the doors open as it was pissing down and blowing a hoolie.

Reviews I've seen on a couple of Facebook groups I'm a member of are pretty much unanimously good for the Volt, bloody expensive even with the trade in, a trade in that lets you keep your old oven. 😄

On 26/03/2023 at 10:55, graygo said:

Any more photos??!!

(Yes, I'm a pizza pervert, I like seeing other creations!)

Edited by Armageddon

4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Any more photos??!!

(Yes, I'm a pizza pervert, I like seeing other creations!)

Don't shoot me for the pineapple, the wife insisted on it, she also prefers cheddar to mozzarella. Weirdo.

IMG_20230326_184002994_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230326_182652844.jpg

IMG_20230326_180953065.jpg

IMG_20230326_175102044.jpg

Peakybunnet
22 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Ditto, can never get the temperature right