Michael Smith

kingantti1874

He kept cutting back last night. Why wasn't he hitting the line for crosses with that big lump of wuid standing like a monument in the 18 yard box all night. Gnando has seriously persuaded that he is pish

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Cruyff

• jambopilms

Michael smith has been utterly shite for the majority of his time here. I’ve been shot down for calling him and Naismith a waste of a wage for the last couple of years on here.

The most tragic thing about it, was that despite being woeful he was/is many fans ‘first name on the team sheet’ and a ‘solid performer’.

A sign of how poor we’ve become when a negative player of such limited ability becomes one of our most reliable/favoured players.

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, communist said:

Michael smith has been utterly shite for the majority of his time here. I’ve been shot down for calling him and Naismith a waste of a wage for the last couple of years on here.

The most tragic thing about it, was that despite being woeful he was/is many fans ‘first name on the team sheet’ and a ‘solid performer’.

A sign of how poor we’ve become when a negative player of such limited ability becomes one of our most reliable/favoured players.

yep. If anything shows how low the bar was set

10 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

So have we seen the light yet? 

ps Logan > Smith

Every day of the week. Smith can go with the majority of them for me. 

Another example of where a player has either not improved or regressed under Neilson’s coaching regime. This cannot be allowed to continue or we are headed for real trouble next season. 

Michael Smith was irritating as **** last night. 

His constant back passing was beyond a joke. 

We could get anybody to do what he is doing, as soon as an opponent gets within ten yards of him back he goes. 

davemclaren
Just now, luckydug said:

Michael Smith was irritating as **** last night. 

His constant back passing was beyond a joke. 

We could get anybody to do what he is doing, as soon as an opponent gets within ten yards of him back he goes. 

Very disappointing last night. However, the midfield didn’t help him much imo. 

The Treasurer
23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Very disappointing last night. However, the midfield didn’t help him much imo. 

I thought he looked totally frustrated at the lack of movement/options in front of him.

Forced time and again to either pass sideways or backwards as no-one was looking for the ball in an attacking position.

This has been a problem all season and longer, especially away from home

davemclaren
Just now, The Treasurer said:

I thought he looked totally frustrated at the lack of movement/options in front of him.

Forced time and again to either pass sideways or backwards as no-one was looking for the ball in an attacking position.

It’s been a problem for several seasons in my book. 

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

I think he used that as a cop out far too easily imo. He looked like he had never played football before imo. Couldn’t protect the ball, makes space or take someone on. Offered nothing and hasn’t done for a while. 

Smith is a half decent right back who will probably do a job next season. Not the greatest but not the worst player we’ve got. Let’s face it bar Gordon and possibly Boyce we could replace every other player and not even notice they’ve left. 

The lad from Ballymena has done well for himself, is he world class, no. He is international class.

Brilliant passionate player, we got great shifts out of him.

Seems off it at the moment, he puts in a power of work though.

The Treasurer
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think he used that as a cop out far too easily imo. He looked like he had never played football before imo. Couldn’t protect the ball, makes space or take someone on. Offered nothing and hasn’t done for a while. 

Not been his best season with us,no doubt about that, but he's far from being the worst player in the team (not a high bar I know).

I'd still say he's one of the last players (along with Gordon and Boyce) that needs replaced

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

Not been his best season with us,no doubt about that, but he's far from being the worst player in the team (not a high bar I know).

I'd still say he's one of the last players (along with Gordon and Boyce) that needs replaced

Disagree for the money he is on I’d get rid. Logan has came in and looked a better player which to even say out loud sounds ridiculous. 

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Disagree for the money he is on I’d get rid. Logan has came in and looked a better player which to even say out loud sounds ridiculous. 

Think we'll agree to disagree.

I thought Logan has looked well off the pace

Pasquale for King

I’ve never rated him as he’s always went backwards and sideways, awful passer and crosser too. 
Consistent no doubt about that, looked good in poor teams.  Can’t expect him to do much if the team isn’t performing. 
Hopefully he’s not suffering from

Covid related issues.

grumpyespana

What has happened to Michael Smith there was times last night he should have been bombing forward but turned back with the ball only thing I can think off is he is obeying team orders.

1 hour ago, grumpyespana said:

What has happened to Michael Smith there was times last night he should have been bombing forward but turned back with the ball only thing I can think off is he is obeying team orders.

Not the first time. Remember the cup tie at Easter Rd when Paterson clearly told not to cross the half way line.

Robbo-Jambo

Michael Smith has gone so downhill in the last three or four months it's unreal. 

Could say the same about Kingsley before he got injured. He started brilliantly and regressed alarmingly. 

Even Naismith looked like an amateur player when he came on last night. 

Why are all these decent payers all of a sudden becoming shite? 

Tactics, set up, training methods, not motivated etc.?? 

Probably a bit of each and all these issues lay at the door of our clown of a manager. 

I remember in the 2 2 debacle v hibs. I was in the gorgie stand.  Just after half time gavin Reilly broke  from our defence in to the hibs half.  Got just over the half way line then stopped to pass the ball backwards. Think it's down to tactics , if you can call them that

Batistuta87

Very disappointing last night. Far too negative, too many backward passes, which has been the case for a few games now. 

Clerry Jambo
3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Would normally agree T but last night he never attempted to run into space when it was available. To be honest he just looked like a player who is thinking " had enough of this shite"

3 hours ago, grumpyespana said:

can you remind me of any game where he has been bombing forward, beating men and getting crosses into the box? I don’t think it’s ever happened. And I don’t think it’s team orders, he just doesn’t have it in him to get past a man, and doesn’t want to risk a forward pass. Even if his direct opponent is a part time footballer of extremely limited ability he still doesn’t fancy himself to beat anyone, tragic.

His best position he’s played for us was at CH for me.

Offers absolutely zero going forward and is mediocre at defending the wide areas.

Thanks for your service Michael but I’ve endured enough of shitebags in maroon jerseys the last few years. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Very disappointing last night. Far too negative, too many backward passes, which has been the case for a few games now. 

the whole season imo

Smith has been poor in recent weeks.  Not so much the general play but this consistent turning back when he gets the ball.  He has been one of our best players over last few seasons but now being sucked in to the no risk, safety first play we are subjected to.  

As I said in the match thread he is playing like a man that knows if he makes forward runs he doesn’t have the gas to get back so he’s playing it safe to avoid that scenario. It’s nonsense people saying he’s always been shit but he seems to be one of those players that their decline in fitness and conditioning has happened so quickly it’s visible to all. 

This season he has constantly stood square on to whoever he receives the ball from. This makes it natural for him to play the ball square or back. It's almost like a habit he has developed or been coached to do

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

As I said in the match thread he is playing like a man that knows if he makes forward runs he doesn’t have the gas to get back so he’s playing it safe to avoid that scenario. It’s nonsense people saying he’s always been shit but he seems to be one of those players that their decline in fitness and conditioning has happened so quickly it’s visible to all. 

agreed, he has certainly not always been shit. But he has been shit this season. Seems that is broadly accepted now..

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Michael Smith has gone so downhill in the last three or four months it's unreal. 

Could say the same about Kingsley before he got injured. He started brilliantly and regressed alarmingly. 

Even Naismith looked like an amateur player when he came on last night. 

Why are all these decent payers all of a sudden becoming shite? 

Tactics, set up, training methods, not motivated etc.?? 

Probably a bit of each and all these issues lay at the door of our clown of a manager. 

We do perform (more often than not) like a team that wants the manager gone!

But Alloa 6-0...........

51 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the whole season imo

Apart from the first goal of our league campagne. 

Looks a different player now though. 

Covid could well be the reason for his regression. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Apart from the first goal of our league campagne. 

Looks a different player now though. 

Covid could well be the reason for his regression. 

yep fair observation 

I like Smith, for me he’s been a very solid 7/8 out of 10 RB for many a season and to say he has been shite in all that time is a bit silly.

That being said, this season he has been a 5/6 out of 10 and its hard to tell if thats fitness or tactics based on this team’s utterly horrendous performances.

Just now, grumpyespana said:

I just think he's knackered. Really is as simple as that.  Not only (at his age) has he played nearly every game including Cup ties, he's been away with Northern Ireland as well. To me he looks like he needs time away and get himself ready for the next campaign. The season can't end quick enough from what i can see. Hasn't helped that Brandon (who needs booted out to find a new club/challenge incidentally) has been injured for most of the season......again! Hearts had a chance to go and get Steven O'Donnell in to challenge him and rest him now and again but we didn't. Typical Hearts really. If we had we might not've had to rush through an end of season loan for Logan, decent enough player though as he is. Lack of foresight has been an issue at Hearts for the last five years.

No Idle Talk

I have noticed a decline in his game in the last few months. He looks slower and makes more mistakes than he did before. Hopefully it is just a form thing and not an age thing.

Lonewolflins
15 hours ago, communist said:

True story , bang average full back .

I think he’s a safety first traditional style right back. 

If he was a left back I’d be desperate to hold onto him but right back isn’t that difficult a position to get right. 

I’d like us to give Cammy Logan a shot. Smith is solid, but his lack of risk taking in going forward is pretty bad. 

Good player , part of the issue is he was built up by some to be a great player  ,can play centre defence , midfield etc ,  due to how crap our squad has been and continues to be . 

Glamorgan Jambo

He got the season off to the right start with his goal back Dundee first game of the season.

Has not been  at his best for weeks. Long Covid maybe. Tactical instruction last night looked a contributing factor too.

The season’s  over now and he has a contract until the end of next season. Hope he comes back with all guns blazing in August.

2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Today is his last game at Tynecastle, going back down south in the summer.

Would explain form of last few weeks if move was going on in the background. Always likely to move this summer, we will get some cash for him and his from/attitude hasn’t really recovered from being overlooked for the captaincy. Hit him hard as he was the obvious candidate when Berra fell out with Stendel. 

StevenNaismith
26 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Would explain form of last few weeks if move was going on in the background. Always likely to move this summer, we will get some cash for him and his from/attitude hasn’t really recovered from being overlooked for the captaincy. Hit him hard as he was the obvious candidate when Berra fell out with Stendel. 

It’s nothing to do with that, his family have moved back down south so he wants to go too. He’s actually quite gutted to be leaving but family is more important than football.

Niemi’s gloves
28 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

It’s nothing to do with that, his family have moved back down south so he wants to go too. He’s actually quite gutted to be leaving but family is more important than football.

Seems strange that he signed an extended contract through to next summer as recently as January. Maybe forgot to tell his wife what he was doing?

2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

More to it than that. The plan for the move down south after he finished with us has been in the works for about 2+ years. Built a house from scratch just outside Bath near his wife’s family. Signed a new contract three months ago so he isn’t leaving voluntarily unless he is really hacked off with us. Certainly not leaving without a fee I’d imagine unless management team don’t want him next season.  Time will tell. 

jamboinglasgow
5 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Today is his last game at Tynecastle, going back down south in the summer.

Will take that with a pinch of salt as there is always talk of him moving down south every window.

But if true, on a Hearts point of view, its downside to lose an experienced player who performs normally conistantly. Though he is not proving as effective at right back as he used to, and may make more sense for the club to get a new centre back rather than use him there.

Edited by jamboinglasgow