What do fans expect from club, manager, structure, style of play?

Bongo 1874

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Ribble

• SectionDJambo

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Well none of those questions are covered on any other thread.

:lol:

Just want to know what others thoughts are? 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just want to know what others thoughts are? 

Just read every thread on psge 1 then, they all end up the same.

Honesty would be a good start.  Call a spade a spade.  If we're crap like last night, say so.  No need to name culprits, but just admit that we weren't good enough for what Hearts fans expect.   Stop blaming the refs.    

Coach  players how to shoot accurately from 20-25  yards on the run. 

Overall, get Hearts playing an attacking high-energy style.   To quote George Burley before we'd even kicked a ball back in summer of 2005 - "I'm a 3-2 manager, not a 1-0 manager".      Personally, I can accept defeats so long as we've given it a right good go and  players have shown adequate hunger and desire to  attack the opposition goal.   

Club: ambition that matches the clubs potential

Manager: man manager that can improve players through coaching and identify appropriate targets. Able to know how players work together on a football field

Structure: Match of youth and experience but focus on improving players at the right side of 25; sporting director; realistic targets for a head coach that if not achieved, they can expect to be replaced. Also constantly review coaching, with scope to bring in coaches that are not always the head coach's choices (eg where it is obvious the team is failing)

Style: attack minded, imaginative, progressive. Movement, pace and variety of attack. Aggressive and passionate.

Edited by Riccarton3

Getting the ball played forward on the ground a bit quicker would do for a start. This boring possession side to side football is not good to watch. 

12 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Club: ambition that matches the clubs potential

Manager: man manager that can improve players through coaching and identify appropriate targets. Able to know how players work together on a football field

Structure: Match of youth and experience but focus on improving players at the right side of 25; sporting director; realistic targets for a head coach that if not achieved, they can expect to be replaced. Also constantly review coaching, with scope to bring in coaches that are not always the head coach's choices (eg where it is obvious the team is failing)

Style: attack minded, imaginative, progressive. Movement, pace and variety of attack. Aggressive and passionate.

Agree 100%. Very well put.

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Thoughts? 

Just win the league and be back up for the fans getting back in. It must be soul destroying playing against shite like QotS in the freezing cold with no fans there to keep your spirits up. 

Next season is when the fun begins and I expect Robbie to have a very good side assembled for a shot at the title. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Just win the league and be back up for the fans getting back in. It must be soul destroying playing against shite like QotS in the freezing cold with no fans there to keep your spirits up. 

Next season is when the fun begins and I expect Robbie to have a very good side assembled for a shot at the title. 

Bit early for the hard stuff, no?

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Title? 

I expect much much more than we’re getting.

We’ve been brutal in the majority of matches for far too long. We haven’t played consistently well, over a sustained period, since we had that lengthy run at the top of the league under CL.

Barring the occasional match it’s been a downward spiral in terms of performances since then.

We just aren’t ver6 good to watch.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, let's no try a leg meantime and we'll judge him properly next season.🤔

I expect the managers and players to be accountable.

Too many times we fail/struggle against teams with a 5th/10th of our budget.

That will be allowed to continue whilst some fans accept the bare minimum as being good enough.

In all seriousness a philosophy of play that isn’t vague like “I like attacking football”. Everyone does, that’s a given. But how you go about it is they key. Stendel for example had a clear philosophy of how he wanted to play, but it’s also clear from what happened that there’s a culture in Scottish football that’s averse to it (which is strange since high pressing fast paced one touch football is something that promotes all the attributes we look for).

Neilson seems somewhat vague in his philosophy. He wants wingers, but doesn’t manage a style that uses them

effectively. And his substitutions are odd. McEneff should have replaced Halliday, Irving or Walker giving his natural position and abilities - but he replaced a winger (who although hadn’t played well was playing better than the winger on the other side) which made our shape lopsided and narrow. Then when he does bring on an attacking player it’s not the tried and tested Naismith but it’s the underwhelming Henderson - then brings Naismith on with only 10 minutes to go.

If you want two deep midfielders so that your wingers can get further up then have two midfielders that have energy and can break up play (like McEneff and Haring) who will also look to play passes forward. 

What we’re seeing on the pitch is not matching what is being said in press conferences.

18 minutes ago, franco2209 said:

Aye, let's no try a leg meantime and we'll judge him properly next season.🤔

Not what I said. But carry on with your eternal rage. I expect us to win the the league then put up a good challenge, next season. 

Effort and positivity in open play.

Attempting to win a game, not simply avoid defeat.

Formations that make sense given the pitch, weather and opposition.

Substitutions made at the right time and the right players coming on/off.

I exoect players to die for each other on the pitch , works as individuals and a collective for the cause .Drive each other on and call each other out if they feel some are sand bagging. 

I want a club that everyone is desperate to play for. A manager who is not a one trick pony, a manager who knows what his customer base is, and what is expected of him. A manager who believes in the beautiful game.
As far as structure is concerned. mobile midfielders that move in a forward direction. forwards who are prepared to gamble.
Style of play = More Stendel than Neilson.

Budge and Neilson are robbing fans of hard earned cash dishing up the current putrid stuff. 

SpruceBringsteen

Serious answer - effort. Nothing more, nothing less.

Facetious answer - being able to beat painters and decorators.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Idealistic pish. 

Wake up and smell the coffee. This is Scottish football. 

Hamilton 3 up at Motherwell, Hibs beaten in 2 semi finals but 3rd in the league,  Aberdeen consistently top 4 and in Europe baying for their manager,  Celtic 9 Leagues and 12 trophies crying,  Rangers moaning about drawing at Hamilton yet so far in front they need binoculars to see behind. 

Point being nobody, nobody is ever happy with what they have. 

The nature of how we play football in this country,  entertainment,  you will be hard pushed. 

Stendel tried, he failed, when he failed he joined the club and got a few results too little too late. 

But even his attempts to play on the front foot led to horrific defeats and turgid ones among them. 

The whole thing needs to change,  but no one will vote for it.

Teams know each other inside out, the ultimate goldfish bowl. 

Meanwhile, fans on the internet moan endlessly about style,  passion,  lack of entertainment. 

I've said on other threads and elude to it in this post. 

Find a happy set of fans anywhere. Scottish football is caught in a trap 

Players with freedom to express, working their tits off for eachother.

Probably the nutshell for me.

You can see our players play in zones.

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Mind that pish puff piece in the EEN about the style Neilson “wants to play”? :rofl:

Dinosaur coach, dinosaur football 

Aye, he abandoned that after 1 game :lol:

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Idealistic pish. 

Hamilton 3 up at Motherwell, Hibs beaten in 2 semi finals but 3rd in the league,  Aberdeen consistently top 4 and in Europe baying for their manager,  Celtic 9 Leagues and 12 trophies crying,  Rangers moaning about drawing at Hamilton yet so far in front they need binoculars to see behind. 

The nature of how we play football in this country,  entertainment,  you will be hard pushed. 

Stendel tried, he failed, when he failed he joined the club and got a few results too little too late. 

But even his attempts to play on the front foot led to horrific defeats and turgid ones among them. 

Meanwhile, fans on the internet moan endlessly about style,  passion,  lack of entertainment. 

Says it in a nutshell.  The eternal merry- go- round. 

Byyy The Light
22 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

I want a club that everyone is desperate to play for. A manager who is not a one trick pony, a manager who knows what his customer base is, and what is expected of him. A manager who believes in the beautiful game.
As far as structure is concerned. mobile midfielders that move in a forward direction. forwards who are prepared to gamble.
Style of play = More Stendel than Neilson.

Budge and Neilson are robbing fans of hard earned cash dishing up the current putrid stuff. 

St Mirren biggest game of our season Stendel?

Arguably a more lacklustre and disinterested performance than last night

21 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Idealistic pish. 

Idealistic pish, someone please remind me how Gerrard has rangers playing? 

Byyy The Light
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Idealistic pish. 

Absolutely nailed it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Idealistic pish, someone please remind me how Gerrard has rangers playing? 

Grinding it out for weeks now 

Kidd’s Boots

In reverse order, the following,

A far higher tempo than we have witnessed in the past few weeks and not just for 10-15 mins, which would probably mean a change of formation to 433. Someone asked on the match day thread why Henderson came on ahead of Naismith last night and my view is this. He, Moore and Wighton all brought the energy to start defending far higher up the park than we do without them, chase the lost causes, win 2nd ball, stay on their feet and not give away stupid fouls, and for the 

last 15mins v.QotS we looked like the Hearts team I want to watch.  I'm fine with playing out from the back, and we can play some nice one touch stuff, but the space between the midfield (Halliday and Irvine) and front players in the current system is too much for the triangles needed to play out and get forward. We all know that every team we come up against in this league will be disciplined in blocks of 4&5, but we need to do better to adapt and play through these. 

I'll take structure to mean introduction of Director of Football. Do we need it? Yes. Will we see positive results from it? Yes but the timescales  need to realistic and achieveable, and will require patience from the support. Should this be a long term strategy? Absolutely.

My understanding is that RN is Head Coach not Manager. The expectations on the Head Coach are high, and given his record in this league they should be. Our current league position only shows how many, not the how, but for me, the how is equally important. The demands that we should have on his performances, particularly in the media and criticism of conditions, pitches etc etc are falling far far short of what we should expect from our Head Coach. His experience in this role should be making him a better figure head than he currently is.

The expections from the club are harder to summarise in the current circumstances.

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Grinding it out for weeks now 

I mean when you have a goal difference that is +61 and zero league defeats well, that's some way to grind it out. 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Honesty would be a good start.  Call a spade a spade.  If we're crap like last night, say so.  No need to name culprits, but just admit that we weren't good enough for what Hearts fans expect.   Stop blaming the refs.    

Coach  players how to shoot accurately from 20-25  yards on the run. 

Overall, get Hearts playing an attacking high-energy style.   To quote George Burley before we'd even kicked a ball back in summer of 2005 - "I'm a 3-2 manager, not a 1-0 manager".      Personally, I can accept defeats so long as we've given it a right good go and  players have shown adequate hunger and desire to  attack the opposition goal.   

Reading the Burley comment just reminded me of what Jeffries used to say...."if you score two, we'll score three!" 

On what you'd expect from a Hearts team...i expect passion, energy, enthusiasm and getting forward to threaten. The 80s saw Alex MacDonald put together a team that hated to lose games. I always remember him in an interview in the press when he was asked...."how come you have such a good derby record against Hibs?" to which he replied.."oh, that's easy, we just dinnae like them!" He knew how to motivate. Into the 90s and Joe Jordan was different. His style of football was just to be happy to win 1-0 with no entertainment. In fact, some of the football i've witnessed over the last few years is actually very Jordan-esque. Wouldn't have looked out of place at Hearts these last few years. After mucking about with Sandy Clark and Tommy McLean we got Jeffries in. We played a much more attacking style and it paid off more often than not. Levein's first spell continued that style. He managed similarly to how he and his team-mates played under McD, get the ball forward and let the opposition worry about us but he became a bit more cautious towards the end though, a trait that he seems to have grown more fond of as the years went by. Robbo tried in his short spell but players were needing replaced. Then Burley. Back to what Hearts fans expect from their players...attacking first, defending less. Then a new revolving door was installed at Tynecastle.

Moving to more recently, I believe Stendel wanted to adopt a similar McDonald/Jeffries/Burley style, you could feel a response in the stands which had got it's voice back after the dullness of Cathro/Levein times. Ultimately he was treated shoddily so we'll never know, sadly. 

My only expectation is to win the Championship and get promoted.

After that , we all know how poor this squad is so considerable reinforcements will be required just to be competitive in the top division. I'm not reading anything into the games against Hibs & Celtic this season.  A challenging two years ahead and a lot of money required to improve that  squad. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I mean when you have a goal difference that is +61 and zero league defeats well, that's some way to grind it out. 

It's the 4 games Bongo. Most of that tally in the first 18. 1 0 against Hibs St Johnstone and now Kilmarnock and 1 1 at Hamilton. 

3rd set of games teams are working it out coupled with a more desperate need for points and the scrap.

Seen it for too long my friend 

Cory McNamara

What do fans expect from club, manager, structure, style of play?

Attacking football / style, improvements, solid players who want to play for Hearts, honesty in actions. 

I live in the real world and expect nothing.

Just want to get back into Tynecastle to watch the team I love play.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Aye the old firm will be running scared of our title challenge next season 😂

30 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I live in the real world and expect nothing.

Just want to get back into Tynecastle to watch the team I love play.

Very much so, but unfortunately football doesn't work like that. 

Very much so, but unfortunately football doesn't work like that. 

Actually it does and no frothing at the mouth on here will change anything. That point has been proved many many times over the past few years.