Racial abuse of players

Swanny17

Think it’s 4 reports I’ve read in the last week alone of racial abuse being directed at football players on social media which is absolutely shameful.

How do the authorities, both the police and in football, begin to put an end to this kind of sub-human behaviour? 

Can and should clubs be doing more? 

One thing that needs to change quickly is the introduction of far more severe punishment for those found guilty of such conduct.

So depressing that this behaviour still exists. 😡

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sow Easy

• JJ93

• Heartsofgold

• Wee Mikey

1 minute ago, Swanny17 said:

Think it’s 4 reports I’ve read in the last week alone of racial abuse being directed at football players on social media which is absolutely shameful.

How do the authorities, both the police and in football, begin to put an end to this kind of sub-human behaviour? 

Can and should clubs be doing more? 

One thing that needs to change quickly is the introduction of far more severe punishment for those found guilty of such conduct.

So depressing that this behaviour still exists. 😡

The companies that run things like Twitter need to be tighter. Open an account with no proof of identity and off you go, abusing anyone you fancy completely anonymously. 

More needs to be done by platforms to identify those responsible

As long as cowards feel they’re hidden they’ll continue 

Scum

Jail them. Name and shame them. Ban them from all social media for life , and introduce some sort of racist register and put them on it.   For starters 

***** need to sort their heads out. I always thought this shit would just fade away over time but the tacit acceptance by influential politicians has assured it thrives into the 21st century. Filthy shit. 

Edited by GinRummy

south morocco
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The companies that run things like Twitter need to be tighter. Open an account with no proof of identity and off you go, abusing anyone you fancy completely anonymously. 

Agreed. Although difficult, social media in general needs to be regulated more robustly. It’s forever evolving and these companies are making lots of money..

lets hope that we've got more intelligent over the years, anyone who defines a person but how much pigment is in their skin is too dumb to support Hearts.

Mental to think, in 2021, racism and sectarianism are both still a thing. 

So many idiots. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

People should need ID when signing up to social media.

It's cancerous at the moment

I don't agree about the ID requirement. Big Tech already has way more ways of watching us than it should. 

Twitter gives cowards a.place to abuse people anonymously. Unfortunately there will always be people like this in society. Having said that society is night and day compared to what It was like when I grew up in the 80's.

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Jail them. Name and shame them. Ban them from all social media for life , and introduce some sort of racist register and put them on it.   For starters 

We had someone on this forum a fortnight ago with an outrageous racial slur against Morelos. He is still an active member of the forum. If those who could take action, don’t take action, it’ll never be beaten 

Sadly, it's too easy for some to do it and get away with it, behind a faceless account.

Then again, there's still been plenty of recent incidents inside stadiums too. 

Incredibly bizarre behaviour nonetheless.

Ian Wright recently left a thread up on Twitter so people could see the reality of it. It wasn’t just little snide comments, it was sustained abuse of the most foul kind, mixed up with a lot of threats of violence against him and his kids. I knew it went on commonly but to actually see the scale of venom and hatred was genuinely shocking. And to make it even more crazy it was because he’d posted something criticising racism. 

52 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I don't agree about the ID requirement. Big Tech already has way more ways of watching us than it should. 

I can't see it ever being sorted then. People hide behind a fake profile and a VPN and there's not a great deal anyone can do

If we are talking about social media outlets then lets...

Name and shame the posters....no one should have complete anonymity on Twitter for example

Put firms like Twitter/Facebook under real restrictions with major fines if they break them

The vast majority of this can be dealt with by government legislation and those outlets who must collate info and not allow anonymous sign ups

The cowards will soon stop and whilst there will always be a few who will not, they can be identified and dealt with

Much as I'd wish this would stop 100% of those people it will not given the skills and knowledge of many regarding web use etc but its a start

loveofthegame
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

People should need ID when signing up to social media.

It's cancerous at the moment

Totally agree. Until we get to this point, absolutely nothing will change. At its best, Twitter can be great for news and banter but at its worst it’s an absolute cesspit.

All to common these days unfortunately, no accountability for Twitter / Facebook etc . Sometimes even on our threads the trolling and comments are sad to read, harassment and bullying by faceless keyboard warriors 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We had someone on this forum a fortnight ago with an outrageous racial slur against Morelos.

Who was that Jimbo? I missed that. What was said? If you quote their username it's within the rules I think. I'm genuinely interested in knowing who said poster is. Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, smiler said:

Who was that Jimbo? I missed that. What was said? If you quote their username it's within the rules I think. I'm genuinely interested in knowing who said poster is. Cheers. 

The £20m man. 

Seymour M Hersh
59 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I can't see it ever being sorted then. People hide behind a fake profile and a VPN and there's not a great deal anyone can do

I'm pretty sure the tech companies have the ability to shut them down they just don't seem to have any enthusiasm to do so. Considering some of the stuff they allow on their platforms what's a few racist shitehawks in the UK to them. 

I don't see it as news when it's emanating from anonymous social media accounts that can be opened and closed same day from anywhere. The BBC are just encouraging these trolls by making it headline news. 

Edited by JackLadd

Unfortunately, social media is all too easy to abuse and send vile messages. Folk can get access to a message board of the unreachable superstars. I'm fairly sure that Trolls do it as a badge of honour to see who could offend the most. Name, shame, jail and a square kick in the Davina McCalls.  Effin Cretins/Scum.

May add agree with @fila  

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

If we are talking about social media outlets then lets...

Name and shame the posters....no one should have complete anonymity on Twitter for example

Put firms like Twitter/Facebook under real restrictions with major fines if they break them

The vast majority of this can be dealt with by government legislation and those outlets who must collate info and not allow anonymous sign ups

The cowards will soon stop and whilst there will always be a few who will not, they can be identified and dealt with

Much as I'd wish this would stop 100% of those people it will not given the skills and knowledge of many regarding web use etc but its a start

Twitter/Facebook own the politicians.

They’ll determine who or what is deemed appropriate or inappropriate thank you very much.

Trump still banned on Twitter.

The Iranian leader still weekly Tweeting for Israel and Jews to be wiped from the earth.

Racism/bigotry/hate here for ever.

Just be thankful there’s way more good people than evil ones. 

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

It's a sad exercise of free speech. 

Same goes for calling people "gammon" which, to some, seems an acceptable form of racial prejudice. 

Is that some new fangled term? Never heard it before.

1 hour ago, smiler said:

Not my place to name and shame mate . It happened and the admin team were made aware and presumably dealt with it as they saw fit.

Edited by JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Is that some new fangled term? Never heard it before.

I've seen it said by loads of lefties on Twitter to insult white people. These particular people are so absurd that they think that it is fine to be racially prejudiced towards white people and claim that everything is racist.

I'm so fed up of it all. I wish people would just stop talking about the colour of peoples skin. Hardly anyone cares - but the constant talking about it is making it worse and making people care about it when they otherwise wouldn't.

To be honest, as horrible as racism is, calling someone a monkey or something is just a word and akin to calling them any other insulting swear word. And that is how it should be perceived - just another pointless insult. Some people get a thrill out of the obscenity of being racist and it eggs them on - it's just words and they're pointless. 

It doesn't help when outlets such as the BBC run so many non stories on race. Most people just don't care about it - and that is the way it should be.

A_A wehatethehibs

When they get fans back in the stadiums I reckon there’ll be substantial boos for the weekly “take a knee”. Will be ugly scenes 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

When they get fans back in the stadiums I reckon there’ll be substantial boos for the weekly “take a knee”. Will be ugly scenes 

Oh indeed but that isn't necessarily prejudicial. The taking the knee as a form of solidarity with BLM is not something I agree with at all.

I would support a gesture that said - get racism and politics out of football. BLM is not the organisation that many naively thought they were.

There was recently a black footballer (I have forgotten who) who essentially said the same thing. It is astonishing that the whole of football authority has gotten behind an organisation without doing due diligence on them.

The whole thing seems bizarre to me (as well as very disturbing).   Are the ar5shole haters who post stuff like that actually doing it to their own black players  when they miss an open goal  ?

Agree with the posters who want the social media companies to publish as much real-life info they have about these people to shame them.    Unfortunately these companies seem to worship the god of an "anything goes" internet, so it will take governments to pass laws to make them do it. 

Not sure if this is possible........ but one thing the wealthy black players could do is employ a P.A. to proof-read incoming posts and delete the racist ones before the player sees them, and pass the details to the police/moderator etc.

A  poster mentioned the "taking the knee" thing.   I can't see what good its doing now, even though the motive was  100% correct.  Maybe once fans are allowed back in limited numbers, it might flush out the racists who boo it, and CCTV  & club/police can take action ?

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not my place to name and shame mate . It happened and the admin team were made aware and presumably dealt with it as they saw fit.

Fair enough mate 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

I've seen it said by loads of lefties on Twitter to insult white people. These particular people are so absurd that they think that it is fine to be racially prejudiced towards white people and claim that everything is racist.

I'm so fed up of it all. I wish people would just stop talking about the colour of peoples skin. Hardly anyone cares - but the constant talking about it is making it worse and making people care about it when they otherwise wouldn't.

To be honest, as horrible as racism is, calling someone a monkey or something is just a word and akin to calling them any other insulting swear word. And that is how it should be perceived - just another pointless insult. Some people get a thrill out of the obscenity of being racist and it eggs them on - it's just words and they're pointless. 

It doesn't help when outlets such as the BBC run so many non stories on race. Most people just don't care about it - and that is the way it should be.

Thanks for the reply mate, it just sounds all so fecked up though. PS, never watch the BBC unless we have a Friday night game.

2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

It's a sad exercise of free speech. 

Same goes for calling people "gammon" which, to some, seems an acceptable form of racial prejudice. 

I'm glad to see someone else make this point. It is absolutely valid.

2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

So calling a black person a monkey is akin to calling them an arse, in your opinion? 

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So calling a black person a monkey is akin to calling them an arse, in your opinion? 

TBF Dave, JJ said it was just another pointless insult.

3 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Yeah that's right, no one cares about race, well not when it doesn't affect them. Conscious and unconscious bias is alive and well and people of colour have plenty to be unhappy about. Racist language and tropes perpetuate this bias and it needs to be constantly called out. The rise of populism has given some people with latent racist and xenophobic views a platform to publicly express them. The way things have gone backwards in the last 5 years is eminently depressing. 

7 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Don't talk fecking shite. 

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Arsehole, Prick, Dick Barsteward and see you next Tuesday are insults insults for all. But when you put skin colour, Facial features, Nationality and religious beliefs in front of said word, well that changes the whole conversation. 

And arguing its only words is like your excusing these people and possibly yourself to use them. Utter shite. I embarrassingly still slip into it myself from time to time, when I fancy a Chinese. it's Plain wrong. And deserve the bawbooting from my Mrs. 

So sad that it only took a few posts on here before we had the first one to support racism. As someone else said, it's easy to say racism isn't a big deal when you're not affected by it.

All abuse is hurtful whether you are Black or white, fat or perceived ugly. At least if someone says it to your face, you can establish the amount of time it would take to close the space and sort it out yourself.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

So sad that it only took a few posts on here before we had the first one to support racism. As someone else said, it's easy to say racism isn't a big deal when you're not affected by it.

My family in South Africa has been shot by black people for being white. 

Want to tell me again how white people are not affected by racism? 

6 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm glad to see someone else make this point. It is absolutely valid.

Thanks. Yet there are some senseless zombies who still can’t think clearly and see this. 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Mental to think, in 2021, racism and sectarianism are both still a thing. 

So many idiots. 

How many were actually abusing him?  There will always be racist individuals i'm afraid and from all walks of life and all races. They just need shut down and prosecuted as quickly as possible.

30 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

My family in South Africa has been shot by black people for being white. 

Want to tell me again how white people are not affected by racism? 

Oh my God. You actually use South Africa to back up your views. The most racist country of the 20th century. And by racist I mean anti-black/brown racism. At least I now understand where you get your views from

10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Jimmy, I'm going to disagree with you here. It is your place to name and shame, as it is all our places.

It's because they are not shamed and named that they continue and get away with it.

I know it's the old I am not a grass etc etc.

The bottom line is these people should be grassed.

11 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm pretty sure the tech companies have the ability to shut them down they just don't seem to have any enthusiasm to do so. Considering some of the stuff they allow on their platforms what's a few racist shitehawks in the UK to them. 

they will have the ability but if they start to mas ban people their user numbers will plummet and that would affect their share price. That for them is the important thing, their value and money rather than their moral duty to help in the fight against racism