The goals yesterday

Tom Hardy’s Dug

19 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Halkett needs punted! He's getting found out at this level, at fault for two of the goals we conceded.

He was solid at this level for Livy.

Popescu was initially at fault for the 3rd when a horrendous touch lost the ball on the halfway line.

Edited by Thomaso

I thought for the corner we conceded leading to the first (haven't watched a replay) that Berra hesitated when the ball was there to be won.

I really don't know what Kingsley was doing with their first pen.  You have to just let the man go and hope he fails to find a man.

23 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Halkett needs punted! He's getting found out at this level, at fault for two of the goals we conceded.

To be fair Smith was turned inside out down the left by that young lad (number 21) and then left a leg in that led to their 2nd penalty. Wouldn't advocate getting rid of Smith would we?

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

We will see , but referees aside we should have more than enough. It’s the motivation aspect and poor application from kick off that concerns me. Sort that out and we shouldn’t be concerned with the poor standard of refereeing

Don't  get me wrong, I'm making no excuses for the team just stating what I posted prematch in the light of his influence on the game.

13 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Get the impression Beaton was dying to point to the spot yesterday. 

No excuse for a piss poor performance though 

We'd surely have known that going into the game so why give Beaton the chance? For the 2nd Pen Smith made 2 mistakes in the build up which put him in the position to concede the penalty, 1st was weak clearance and then second getting too close allowing himself to be turned easily. Do better with either and there isn't the opportunity for Beaton to give the pen.

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

We'd surely have known that going into the game so why give Beaton the chance? For the 2nd Pen Smith made 2 mistakes in the build up which put him in the position to concede the penalty, 1st was weak clearance and then second getting too close allowing himself to be turned easily. Do better with either and there isn't the opportunity for Beaton to give the pen.

Yip, crap defending twice gave him the opportunities. 

Our defending is absolutely howling at the moment. 🙁

17 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Just watched these with the replays.

Slag us all you want overall 2 of Raith’s goals were big ref errors.

The second penalty was clearly a legit tackle - Smith got a foot in first and a clear connection with the ball.

3rd goal was offside.

We might have been “shit” but even without out the “world class wonder goalie” saves from JM, on legit goals yesterday it should have been 2-1 to us.

I might be going mental but I'm struggling to see the offside for the 3rd goal.  Players seem to maybe be claiming a handball...?

Penalty nothing like one - Smith doesn't even touch him and the ref is looking right at it.  Mind you, as others have pointed out, much like their first penalty and then the 3rd goal, their wingers are just running by us like we're not their.  Body shape, support, aggression, all wrong.  SO we've let them get in the box, and we're chasing them in.  You're in danger there.

Remember how many penalties we got in the Champ last time with Nicholson and King in particular driving into the box and being brought down.  It's a good tactic.

The Old Tolbooth

We have 4 centre halves, the only half decent one is out with a long term injury, and the other three are utter bomb scares, it's really simple, sort this problem out and the league is there to be won in a canter. 

Their first penalty on Saturday was a stonewaller, the second one was never a pen but Beation isn't good enough to call it any different, but I felt he had his whistle in his mouth and was pointing to the spot before the tackle was even made, he couldn't wait to give it! That said, we gifted them a 3 goal lead, you can't do that and expect to win games. 

17 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Just watched these with the replays.

Slag us all you want overall 2 of Raith’s goals were big ref errors.

The second penalty was clearly a legit tackle - Smith got a foot in first and a clear connection with the ball.

3rd goal was offside.

We might have been “shit” but even without out the “world class wonder goalie” saves from JM, on legit goals yesterday it should have been 2-1 to us.

These are valid points on the actual goals but it doesn't hide the fact we looked very uncomfortable every time they ran at us.  

Having done the nerdy thing of freezing the frames, it is clear to me that

- Smith got the ball before there was any contact (which does not automatically mean no penalty, but it was incredibly soft)

- strong suspicion that third goal was scored off the guy's hand (is there a view from behind the goal?). Certainly, if you look at the upward trajectory of the ball after it bounced through Gordon there is no way that the goal was scored with the guy's foot, but it might have bounced off his thigh (or his hand, as the Hearts players argued).

No idea where the idea of offside came from. 

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Popescu was initially at fault for the 3rd when a horrendous touch lost the ball on the halfway line.

Catalogue of errors for the third 🙁

Third goal captured from Hearts TV. The ball is still travelling from our right to left at this point. Something made it change direction. Oh well.

946861622_raithgoal.png.eb2757474898cbbc4e9f5b306bf8f372.png

13 hours ago, bobby bombscare said:

I have a few thought on this so i'll be sure to get some abuse over some part of it but here goes.

1. Penalties - The first penalty was a stone wall pen, no arguing there. The second was not but Smith should never have been in the position where he was having to make that type of tackle in the box (I'll expand on this later). We had a far more convincing penalty claim up our end when boyce was taken down (not as stone wall as the one Gordon saved, but more convincing than the smith one.) which leads me on to the next point.

2. Refs - The reason they got both pens and so many decisions and we never got any decisions really is because Robbie went after the ref after we lost to Dundee. We've seen time and again that whenever you go after a ref (Levein, Lennon, Gerrard, Robbie etc.) you get nothing from any of the other refs for the next few weeks. I mean, the ref couldn't wait to yellow then red card Robbie. Sorry but that's what happens whenever a manager or club is critical of one of the refs, they always do it so we were never getting a decision from the word go.

3. Goals Conceded - i can accept the first goal. They got luck of the bounce as the ball deflected off everyone in the box and then their boy hit a sweet little back heel that even Gordon wasn't expecting. It was agood goal and luck went their way for it. However the second 2, even if they both shouldn't have been goals, were totally our fault! Actually.. they were both Halketts fault. 

For the second pen, Smith got beat for pace (fair enough)and started tracking back. However, halket was then 1v1 with the boy and rather than pushing him out towards the sideline or standing in front and making a tackle, he just pointlessly ran diagonally towards the penalty spot and just let the boy drive straight at goal. I mean if smith was able to make the tackle from the back after starting behind, you're telling me Halkett couldn't have at least tried to usher him out or put in a safer tackle when facing the ball? Second pen is on Halkett. Ref shouldn't have had the opportunity to make the decision, even if it was the wrong one.

Finally, the third goal. Halkett, again. Aye, the ball hit his arm and was never a goal. How did Halkett get beat so easily? Like, really? The boy beats him like he is a sunday league player, we all moan about berra but that was absolutely embrrasing, he made the boy look like messi. 

so aye. 1 good goal and the other goals came from a poor CB pairing. I'm not defending Berra.. but i just don't see how people rate Halkett over him. We had a solid defence until Halkett turned up. Our defence has been shaky since the day he arrived until now. I don't think that's a coincidence. Him and Berra shouldn't be near the first team, end of. Popescu is the best of the 3.. and we all know Popescu isn't up to it either.

2 good CB's and we cut the number of goals we concede by at least half.

No abuse from me as it’s an interesting analysis. 
Especially interesting is your thoughts on dealing with the refs. 
After a lifetime of watching, err shall we call them dubious decisions, it’s extremely hard not to call it out as cheating but maybe you’re right that if our manager does it then it becomes a self defeating circle. 

bobby bombscare
31 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

No abuse from me as it’s an interesting analysis. 
Especially interesting is your thoughts on dealing with the refs. 
After a lifetime of watching, err shall we call them dubious decisions, it’s extremely hard not to call it out as cheating but maybe you’re right that if our manager does it then it becomes a self defeating circle. 

i totally agree. it is cheating and it is a clear bias. It's not right that they do it but it happens.

Just another reason why people don't take Scottish football seriously i'm afraid. But the best option is even if you disagree, say nothing. Otherwise you'll be singled out!

From the lowlife lowlights it was a shockingly-poor performance in the first half but a considerably better one in the second; very unfortunate not to actually win the game during this half. A great performance from Jamie MacDonald though.

It's obvious - I hope to Neilson too - that major changes are required in how we start games and our first-half tactics and approach.

8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

To be fair Smith was turned inside out down the left by that young lad (number 21) and then left a leg in that led to their 2nd penalty. Wouldn't advocate getting rid of Smith would we?

No because we know it was just a poor game from Smith, Usually smith is a 7/10 every week. Halkett on the other hand seems to always have poor games.

On 24/01/2021 at 19:37, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Smith clearly got the top of his foot to the ball first before contact with the player - you can see the ball deviate slightly.

Ref was in a shite position and does actually always want to give any team we play the benefit of the doubt. 

That ref is a clown, this is a pure fact, , he dislikes us and is now obvious.

but there is no procedure to complain about him, hired by clowns though, will never change.

Edited by Harry Potter

Seymour M Hersh

Going by the highlights after we are 3 down we had enough chances to at least draw the game. Jamie Mac always plays a blinder against us. 

23 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Touch like an elephant😦,

28 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Touch like an elephant😦,

Yes, Popescu was horrendous there, but it was handball, see my picture above. 

Once bandaged, Popescu won lots of headers. Perhaps there's a player there? We have to hope so. St Mirren mate of mine thought he was wonderful. 

Remember some of Zal's early blunders? I used to groan when his name was on the team sheet. Soon changed my tune. Maybe we should sign Csaba as defence coach?

1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Yes, Popescu was horrendous there, but it was handball, see my picture above. 

Once bandaged, Popescu won lots of headers. Perhaps there's a player there? We have to hope so. St Mirren mate of mine thought he was wonderful. 

Remember some of Zal's early blunders? I used to groan when his name was on the team sheet. Soon changed my tune. Maybe we should sign Csaba as defence coach?

Forgot about his head injury, was maybe a bit harsh there.