The goals yesterday

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Just watched these with the replays.

Slag us all you want overall 2 of Raith’s goals were big ref errors.

The second penalty was clearly a legit tackle - Smith got a foot in first and a clear connection with the ball.

3rd goal was offside.

We might have been “shit” but even without out the “world class wonder goalie” saves from JM, on legit goals yesterday it should have been 2-1 to us.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We didn't bother waking up until we were 3 goals down that's the biggest take from yesterday.Shocking again 

Exactly 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The second penalty was clearly a legit tackle - Smith got a foot in first and a clear connection with the ball.

3rd goal was offside.

We might have been “shit” but even without out the “world class wonder goalie” saves from JM, on legit goals yesterday it should have been 2-1 to us.

That's the thing, everything that the opposition hits seems to go in. 

Gordon made one save, the penalty!

MacDonald made 4/5 saves, some very good ones and we hit the bar. 

We either need to be more clinical or not give away shite goals so 1 or 2 goals is enough to win. 

Dunfermline was similar,  we missed a few good chances, they scored from a corner and a deflection. 

The slow start is a concern as is the ability not to concede when it's 0-0. That's my biggest issue. 

Smith's looked a penalty first up so not really complaining.

Asst sjould have spotted hand.

Per Dundee if it had been 4 or 5 ahead, could you complain.

That is down to the manager and the players.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Smith's looked a penalty first up so not really complaining.

Asst sjould have spotted hand.

Per Dundee if it had been 4 or 5 ahead, could you complain.

That is down to the manager and the players.

Smith clearly got the top of his foot to the ball first before contact with the player - you can see the ball deviate slightly.

Ref was in a shite position and does actually always want to give any team we play the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, rmreido said:

Exactly,  the slow starts are the issue, big time, get that right, then matches will be won with ease. 

Can’t argue with that. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just watched the goals again on YouTube. For the third goal, Halkett has the speed and anticipation of a tank. I’d rather play a bag of cement than him.

As for Berra, he actually is a bag of concrete 

Kidd’s Boots
43 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Just watched the goals again on YouTube. For the third goal, Halkett has the speed and anticipation of a tank. I’d rather play a bag of cement than him.

As for Berra, he actually is a bag of concrete 

Halkett's lack of pace turned a 6 on 3 situation for us into the goal. Smith was drawn to the ball as was Kingsley leaving his man unmarked. How the lad Kennedy got the ball through Gordon as well as these 3 is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

That's the thing, everything that the opposition hits seems to go in. 

Gordon made one save, the penalty!

MacDonald made 4/5 saves, some very good ones and we hit the bar. 

We either need to be more clinical or not give away shite goals so 1 or 2 goals is enough to win. 

Dunfermline was similar,  we missed a few good chances, they scored from a corner and a deflection. 

The slow start is a concern as is the ability not to concede when it's 0-0. That's my biggest issue. 

The slow starts have been an issue all season with the exception of only a couple of games. 
Nobody is saying we have to be 2 up inside 10 mins but we should be controlling the play with a quick tempo going forward. We knock it round the defenders 20 times until we find ourselves behind. 
It’s happened so many times yet still nothing has been done to alter things unless the players are ignoring the manager. 

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

3rd goal was offside.

But that's an argument for VAR. 

At the time the 3rd goal wasn't obvious. Very difficult with the penalty too. I thought Smith still caught him on side of leg though it was soft. Tough for ref. If it wasn't a penalty Kennedy cheated. Not refs fault. 

You should also look at all the errors. 3 or 4 errors led to the penalty. Third goal was bad and that includes Craig Gordon.

And I'd say the first goal was even worse. The lead up where we lost possession as well as 2 or 3 chances to clear the ball from corner if players had been sharper. 

Shame as otherwise we deserved to win game. 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

3rd goal was offside.

Second penalty is a maybe - had it happened up the other end we'd be screaming for it

Not sure about third goal being offside but certainly looks to be a handball.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Smith clearly got the top of his foot to the ball first before contact with the player - you can see the ball deviate slightly.

Ref was in a shite position and does actually always want to give any team we play the benefit of the doubt. 

The refs decision is one of two things. Guessing or cheating. 

Get the impression Beaton was dying to point to the spot yesterday. 

No excuse for a piss poor performance though 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But that's an argument for VAR. 

At the time the 3rd goal wasn't obvious. Very difficult with the penalty too. I thought Smith still caught him on side of leg though it was soft. Tough for ref. If it wasn't a penalty Kennedy cheated. Not refs fault. 

You should also look at all the errors. 3 or 4 errors led to the penalty. Third goal was bad and that includes Craig Gordon.

And I'd say the first goal was even worse. The lead up where we lost possession as well as 2 or 3 chances to clear the ball from corner if players had been sharper. 

Shame as otherwise we deserved to win game. 

Not ignoring the bad stuff - I don’t think they were that difficult reffing decisions to get right personally though.

Often takes me a few watches - but the handball was blatant and the path change of the ball for pen was pretty obviously from Smith’s tackle.

Remember Beaton is supposed to be a “pro” ref. One ref mistake leading to a goal - I guess, shit happens.

2 mistakes leading to goals? 

haveyouheard1874

First goal  we lose ..oh what

Second was a soft Pen

Third a comedy of error's

Great goal for 3-1

3-2 was a tad fortuitous but required and no much luck after as Jamie played a blinder

Though why do we have to  go behind at times before looking as a team

Just saying 

Need to smash these ~~~~~ on Tuesday 

Raith got their opportunities because they fought for them. Fighting to get in good positions causes these potential, debatable moments. 

You can include their build up to the missed penalty aswell. 

At the scored one, and as an experienced player, Smith should know better in that instance not to tempt a pen when his positioning wasn’t in his favour. Also skinned in the build up but that’s his weak point as a defender. 

Bad day.  Nothing else you can say. 

Edited by Debut 4

Excuses excuses, my goodness I watched the highlights too and i thought we looked utter pony and got pumped by an average rat rovers team! To go 3 down to raith at home is utterly atrocious, That just should not be happening, However after watching berra, halkett and popescu I can see why we are conceding 10 goals a game, All 3 of them are utter pish! would be better off playing a statue as CB.

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Both pens - our player is behind the attacking player trying to challenge. Not a good look

Aye.  Funny though, this has been happening a lot across football everywhere , I’ve noticed watching a lot on tv.  It’s quite bizarre. Players seem more panicky. 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

At home to Raith Rovers we should not be relying on the ref.

Correct.

Although since teatime yesterday this has become the accepted view. 

The ref cheated us out of a sure fire 3 points. 

5 years of shite hoofball has got to some people's minds.

First goal was a good finish, penalty looked a pen at first before all of the angles and Beaton view was blocked. Third goal was hand ball but the only angle that was clear was behind the goal 

Said before the game we will not be winning with Beaton.

He is not the ref on Tuesday, we will win.  (Sorry, wrist slashers but you'll be upset).

2 hours ago, Musemic said:

Second penalty is a maybe - had it happened up the other end we'd be screaming for it

Not sure about third goal being offside but certainly looks to be a handball.

No way you can tell from the coverage that it was offside or a handball.

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

First goal was a good finish, penalty looked a pen at first before all of the angles and Beaton view was blocked. Third goal was hand ball but the only angle that was clear was behind the goal 

Was there any coverage from behind the goals?

bobby bombscare

I have a few thought on this so i'll be sure to get some abuse over some part of it but here goes.

1. Penalties - The first penalty was a stone wall pen, no arguing there. The second was not but Smith should never have been in the position where he was having to make that type of tackle in the box (I'll expand on this later). We had a far more convincing penalty claim up our end when boyce was taken down (not as stone wall as the one Gordon saved, but more convincing than the smith one.) which leads me on to the next point.

2. Refs - The reason they got both pens and so many decisions and we never got any decisions really is because Robbie went after the ref after we lost to Dundee. We've seen time and again that whenever you go after a ref (Levein, Lennon, Gerrard, Robbie etc.) you get nothing from any of the other refs for the next few weeks. I mean, the ref couldn't wait to yellow then red card Robbie. Sorry but that's what happens whenever a manager or club is critical of one of the refs, they always do it so we were never getting a decision from the word go.

3. Goals Conceded - i can accept the first goal. They got luck of the bounce as the ball deflected off everyone in the box and then their boy hit a sweet little back heel that even Gordon wasn't expecting. It was agood goal and luck went their way for it. However the second 2, even if they both shouldn't have been goals, were totally our fault! Actually.. they were both Halketts fault. 

For the second pen, Smith got beat for pace (fair enough)and started tracking back. However, halket was then 1v1 with the boy and rather than pushing him out towards the sideline or standing in front and making a tackle, he just pointlessly ran diagonally towards the penalty spot and just let the boy drive straight at goal. I mean if smith was able to make the tackle from the back after starting behind, you're telling me Halkett couldn't have at least tried to usher him out or put in a safer tackle when facing the ball? Second pen is on Halkett. Ref shouldn't have had the opportunity to make the decision, even if it was the wrong one.

Finally, the third goal. Halkett, again. Aye, the ball hit his arm and was never a goal. How did Halkett get beat so easily? Like, really? The boy beats him like he is a sunday league player, we all moan about berra but that was absolutely embrrasing, he made the boy look like messi. 

so aye. 1 good goal and the other goals came from a poor CB pairing. I'm not defending Berra.. but i just don't see how people rate Halkett over him. We had a solid defence until Halkett turned up. Our defence has been shaky since the day he arrived until now. I don't think that's a coincidence. Him and Berra shouldn't be near the first team, end of. Popescu is the best of the 3.. and we all know Popescu isn't up to it either.

2 good CB's and we cut the number of goals we concede by at least half.

49 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

No way you can tell from the coverage that it was offside or a handball.

You can clearly see it was handball and the players reactions tell you that..never offside but hand ball yes

6 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

We didn't bother waking up until we were 3 goals down that's the biggest take from yesterday.Shocking again 

This

1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

I have a few thought on this so i'll be sure to get some abuse over some part of it but here goes.

1. Penalties - The first penalty was a stone wall pen, no arguing there. The second was not but Smith should never have been in the position where he was having to make that type of tackle in the box (I'll expand on this later). We had a far more convincing penalty claim up our end when boyce was taken down (not as stone wall as the one Gordon saved, but more convincing than the smith one.) which leads me on to the next point.

2. Refs - The reason they got both pens and so many decisions and we never got any decisions really is because Robbie went after the ref after we lost to Dundee. We've seen time and again that whenever you go after a ref (Levein, Lennon, Gerrard, Robbie etc.) you get nothing from any of the other refs for the next few weeks. I mean, the ref couldn't wait to yellow then red card Robbie. Sorry but that's what happens whenever a manager or club is critical of one of the refs, they always do it so we were never getting a decision from the word go.

3. Goals Conceded - i can accept the first goal. They got luck of the bounce as the ball deflected off everyone in the box and then their boy hit a sweet little back heel that even Gordon wasn't expecting. It was agood goal and luck went their way for it. However the second 2, even if they both shouldn't have been goals, were totally our fault! Actually.. they were both Halketts fault. 

For the second pen, Smith got beat for pace (fair enough)and started tracking back. However, halket was then 1v1 with the boy and rather than pushing him out towards the sideline or standing in front and making a tackle, he just pointlessly ran diagonally towards the penalty spot and just let the boy drive straight at goal. I mean if smith was able to make the tackle from the back after starting behind, you're telling me Halkett couldn't have at least tried to usher him out or put in a safer tackle when facing the ball? Second pen is on Halkett. Ref shouldn't have had the opportunity to make the decision, even if it was the wrong one.

Finally, the third goal. Halkett, again. Aye, the ball hit his arm and was never a goal. How did Halkett get beat so easily? Like, really? The boy beats him like he is a sunday league player, we all moan about berra but that was absolutely embrrasing, he made the boy look like messi. 

so aye. 1 good goal and the other goals came from a poor CB pairing. I'm not defending Berra.. but i just don't see how people rate Halkett over him. We had a solid defence until Halkett turned up. Our defence has been shaky since the day he arrived until now. I don't think that's a coincidence. Him and Berra shouldn't be near the first team, end of. Popescu is the best of the 3.. and we all know Popescu isn't up to it either.

Good post 👍

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Said before the game we will not be winning with Beaton.

He is not the ref on Tuesday, we will win.  (Sorry, wrist slashers but you'll be upset).

We will see , but referees aside we should have more than enough. It’s the motivation aspect and poor application from kick off that concerns me. Sort that out and we shouldn’t be concerned with the poor standard of refereeing

Beaton couldn’t wait to give either penalty. Whistle has gone nearly before boys have hit the ground.

Definitely not the reason we lost the game though. I’d have been screaming for the second one

The hearts Tv coverage had a view from behind the goal. Probably "telling" that Raith are choosing not to include it in their highlights. The view of the 2nd pen from behind gives a much clearer indication that he dived but the boy managed to get in behind two of our supposed best players more than once. Its poor defending which allowed us to be in those positions and the ref is unsighted in both. Whether bad luck or poor positioning I dont know but our defence was so poor it was embarrassing. 

8 hours ago, bobby bombscare said:

Agree with majority of what you say mate but Smith just never got outpaced. He got easily beat by getting too close from behind in the first instance.  

He should have the experience not to sell himself like that. Being well into the game by that time It was clear Kennedy was a strong wee b***** and had been running at us and using his body to bundle past our players. 

ToadKiller Dog

We looked the more nervy from the off first half , how many moves we had first half where the ball forward was hit too hard .

I also get the sense that our "take yer medicine "stuff has also had more of a positive effect on some of our opposition players than our own.

We shouldn't be losing 3 goals at home to anybody before any reply however they come about .

Hackett needs a quicker energetic defender beside him Berra isn't that anymore .

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

We looked the more nervy from the off first half , how many moves we had first half where the ball forward was hit too hard .

I also get the sense that our "take yer medicine "stuff has also had more of a positive effect on some of our opposition players than our own.

We shouldn't be losing 3 goals at home to anybody before any reply however they come about .

Hackett needs a quicker energetic defender beside him Berra isn't that anymore .

Halkett is a massive part of the problem, he’s just not a good defender.  Our defensive record since he arrived at hearts has been horrendous. And he’s played with multiple partners. 

bobby bombscare
42 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree with majority of what you say mate but Smith just never got outpaced. He got easily beat by getting too close from behind in the first instance.  

He should have the experience not to sell himself like that. Being well into the game by that time It was clear Kennedy was a strong wee b***** and had been running at us and using his body to bundle past our players. 

we were playing a risky game because we were trying to claw back the goals. He was playing really far up the park so quite likely he was tired hence playing close defence. Smith had a poor game to be honest and some of his passing was pretty dire! but the whole point is that on the occasion that the RB and LB are beat, they then face the CB's as the last form of defence. Right now, our CB's are so poor that if you get past the smith or kingsley, you're pretty much guaranteed a goal. At least Smith got beat trying to win the ball. Halkett just made a b-line for the penalty spot and offered an open goal on a plate.

ToadKiller Dog
37 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Halkett is a massive part of the problem, he’s just not a good defender.  Our defensive record since he arrived at hearts has been horrendous. And he’s played with multiple partners. 

Agree but I don't see him being replaced anytime soon.

Still stewing about Jamie Walkers "tap" from outside the box. Kicked the dug harder! Was on target too. More power and that was in.

Auntie had baws though!

1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Halkett needs punted! He's getting found out at this level, at fault for two of the goals we conceded.