Centre half problems go far beyond Berra

R1874

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The moaners will love me as I will be slaughtering the useless ***** more than any of them, the happy clappers or “real” Hearts fans will need Budge to hold their hands during games. 
Then I will spontaneously combust in a Derby. 

"And with 65 minutes gone in the first Edinburgh Derby of 2021/22 season, it's Hibernian 0, Hearts 6.  Hearts are on the attack again... And what's this? The Hearts Manager is running onto the pitch.... He's taking his trousers off and... by God, he's thrusting in the general direction of the Main Stand. He's really going at it, and some of the Hibs players are taking offence at the gesture, but play continues. They're running up to him now, and... oh no, the Hearts manager has decked one of the Hibs players.  What horrendous scenes here at Easter Road.  But play goes on, and.... Yes.... Yes!  It's a 7th goal for Hearts!  Hearts have scored again, effortlessly...and the Hearts Manager is now mooning the Home Dugout. Thank God that this was an evening kick off, and we're after the watershed, because this is bordering on the obscene..."

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• davemclaren

• pettigrewsstylist

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

"And with 65 minutes gone in the first Edinburgh Derby of 2021/22 season, it's Hibernian 0, Hearts 6.  Hearts are on the attack again... And what's this? The Hearts Manager is running onto the pitch.... He's taking his trousers off and... by God, he's thrusting in the general direction of the Main Stand. He's really going at it, and some of the Hibs players are taking offence at the gesture, but play continues. They're running up to him now, and... oh no, the Hearts manager has decked one of the Hibs players.  What horrendous scenes here at Easter Road.  But play goes on, and.... Yes.... Yes!  It's a 7th goal for Hearts!  Hearts have scored again, effortlessly...and the Hearts Manager is now mooning the Home Dugout. Thank God that this was an evening kick off, and we're after the watershed, because this is bordering on the obscene..."

Are you a mind reader? Always wanted to buy the club, put myself on the bench at ER, come on at 90 minutes and deck some Hibs ***** then walk off 😆

John Gentleman
6 hours ago, Jambos1983 said:

Its bizarre. He was outstanding and very quick when at livi. We sure we've signed the right player?

Our management team (team's) have tolerated obesity. That shouldn't happen at a professional football club.

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

What on earth has happened to our defence. It’s not like we are playing against top notch teams and they did fine against Hibs and Celtic but are doing awful in the Championship. 

We are however, playing against teams that know if you run at our CB's they'll panic and foul you or just make a james hunt of it. and if you get past them, well, you're off to the races as they're not catching you.

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

What on earth has happened to our defence. It’s not like we are playing against top notch teams and they did fine against Hibs and Celtic but are doing awful in the Championship. 

Totally rode luck against Hibs and conceded 3 against a Celtic that are in freefall.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Blaming the defence is an easy excuse. Yes Propescu is a bombscare and Halkett should have done better but the Fact is we were outplayed by a better team for 80 minutes. Our midfield was incapable of tackling and apart from Irvine, pathetic at passing. We desperately need a fit defensive midfielder. Halliday is a disgrace and Haring isn’t fit. We should be looking at moving Smith either into central defence or holding midfield.

Calebs Grandad
12 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Can you imagine the reaction if we had signed players from those clubs?

And yet they ran our defence ragged for about an hour.

But it’s not just the defence. Where was the protection from our midfield? A midfield which wasn’t supporting much in an attacking sense either. Huge gaps up both wings and in the middle of the pitch, which Raith Rovers had a great time running through.

It is a big worry the damage these guys inflicted on us. 

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Stuart Findlay on a pre contract should be our number one priority.

Yep, big improvement on the left side of the CB pairing. 

Souttar still to come back, but he’ll have been out for a long time so no guarantees he’ll be the same player. Safe to say though, with a right sided CB we need a big improvement. Gallagher might be a good shout. We should be aiming to have Scotland internationals in our team.

Maybe Savage will have some idea of who to look at though. We need some real character in at the back.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I tried to make the point when we signed Popescu that he had been part of a gash St Mirren defence.

Naturally such concerns were pushed aside by the SUPER FANS who back everything the club does.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I tried to make the point when we signed Popescu that he had been part of a gash St Mirren defence.

Naturally such concerns were pushed aside by the SUPER FANS who back everything the club does.

Yawn!!!

6 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Blaming the defence is an easy excuse. Yes Propescu is a bombscare and Halkett should have done better but the Fact is we were outplayed by a better team for 80 minutes. Our midfield was incapable of tackling and apart from Irvine, pathetic at passing. We desperately need a fit defensive midfielder. Halliday is a disgrace and Haring isn’t fit. We should be looking at moving Smith either into central defence or holding midfield.

Did you see the goals we lost? Absolutey naff all to do with the midfield. 

RustyRightPeg

Scary that only 3 years ago we had the best defence in the country. How times change.

Defensively, our spine is weak, including our midfielders. 

As the OP has said our defence has been abysmal for over a year now and one thing has remained constant, Halkett. Berra has been in and out and is done, clear to see. 

If the coaching staff cannot see that we are in need of at least 3 centre backs, and  a couple of defensive minded centre midfielders, then we are quite frankly ****ed.  As much as I want us to go back up, it would be a miserable with this crop of players.

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This, although our midfield is not strong enough imo at winning the ball back but it’s certainly the CB ‘S that is our main problem.

41 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nonsense. How do you think their attack was able to pressure our defence. Midfield is meant to win tackles, protect defence and link with attack. That’s basic football. Adams went through midfield as if it didn’t exist. Much the same happened on Saturday, against Alloa and Dunfermline.

3 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Nonsense. How do you think their attack was able to pressure our defence. Midfield is meant to win tackles, protect defence and link with attack. That’s basic football. Adams went through midfield as if it didn’t exist. Much the same happened on Saturday, against Alloa and Dunfermline.

2 of the 3 are blatantly defensive mistakes. 

The first is a short corner which was not closed down quick enough. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Yawn!!!

Coming from the most boring poster on here, I take that as a compliment.

You have a near 100 per cent record when it comes to backing the wrong horse. Another one who’s happy with our mediocrity.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

2nd goal the laddie ripped Smith a new one before he lumbered back to fell him. 

3rd goal the same laddie ripped the absolute pish out of Halkett this time.

You'd have thought after the 2nd goal they would have tumbled to it. 

On 23/01/2021 at 17:09, Leveins Battalion said:

Hallkett is an overweight,slow,Crap passer,can’t read the game,no presence.Utter phoney of a CB.

He has even stopped scoring goals. 

That was about his biggest value tbh. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 23/01/2021 at 17:09, Uncle Buck said:

We need two new centre halves and hopefully a fit Souttar next season. Halkett and Berra are hopeless but Popescu is a joke.

Souttar has been incredibly unfortunate with injuries. He's still got an opportunity in this squad though should he regain fitness  given we the current defence is utterly dreadful. He should keep his chin up. 

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Coming from the most boring poster on here, I take that as a compliment.

You have a near 100 per cent record when it comes to backing the wrong horse. Another one who’s happy with our mediocrity.

I bow to your telepathic powers, which must be hard to apply with the burden of prejudice and bitterness that's rotted your brain.

Able to see into my mind and conclude that I am happy with mediocrity!!!  Just because I'm not a wrist slasher like your good self, don't presume to tell me what I'm happy about.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sandison said in commentary that he thought Halkett was going to foul him out wide, Webster/Pressley/Berra and act good CH all do that when they get drawn out of position against a quick player. Just more proof that Halkett isn’t up to it. 
Having watched it again Smith does get the ball but from where the ref was it looks like a penalty. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Smith will need to move to centre on Tuesday. Doesn't matter who plays at right back as long as they're quick. 

We could do with him in midfield too but we will probably need our best FBs to try and nullify Kennedy whatever side he plays. 

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sandison said in commentary that he thought Halkett was going to foul him out wide, Webster/Pressley/Berra and act good CH all do that when they get drawn out of position against a quick player. Just more proof that Halkett isn’t up to it. 
Having watched it again Smith does get the ball but from where the ref was it looks like a penalty. 

The pen one was a joke. 

Smith's headed clearance was pish. Then he got skinned but even then you'd think Halkett would have narrowed the angle and forced the boy wide. It was schoolboy stuff. 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We could do with him in midfield too but we will probably need our best FBs to try and nullify Kennedy whatever side he plays. 

Needs wiped out early doors. 

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Scary that only 3 years ago we had the best defence in the country. How times change.

Defensively, our spine is weak, including our midfielders. 

As the OP has said our defence has been abysmal for over a year now and one thing has remained constant, Halkett. Berra has been in and out and is done, clear to see. 

If the coaching staff cannot see that we are in need of at least 3 centre backs, and  a couple of defensive minded centre midfielders, then we are quite frankly ****ed.  As much as I want us to go back up, it would be a miserable with this crop of players.

We cant go back up with this squad. It would be a disaster.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

The pen one was a joke. 

Smith's headed clearance was pish. Then he got skinned but even then you'd think Halkett would have narrowed the angle and forced the boy wide. It was schoolboy stuff. 

Smith was awful the whole game, his passing and crossing was worse than ever. More and more folk seeing what you did early doors with Halkett, just need the manager to notice it now. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

We have a quality CB in Peter Haring, we need to play him there alongside Halkett Tuesday and see what happens 

We don’t really, fully fit he’s a quality DM, at CH he’s Austrian 2nd division standard. Still better than what we have though. 

19 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

We have a quality CB in Peter Haring, we need to play him there alongside Halkett Tuesday and see what happens 

Yes Haring should be played there. 

Really wonder how his fitness is though after not seeing him after his 45 mins at Dundee. 

Makes you think there might be a problem with him again if he can't get into a poor back four or a crap midfield. 

Hope not but it is a concern imo. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Needs wiped out early doors. 

We barely tackle anyone these days never mind put a reducer in on anyone. This young guy Kennedy can’t have been a surprise to them. 

StevenNaismith

We have spoken to Declan Gallagher’s agent but he has his heart set on a move to Celtic. Him alongside a fully fit John Souttar would be an excellent pairing. Hopefully Lennon gets his jotters and the new managers doesn’t fancy Gallagher.

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We barely tackle anyone these days never mind put a reducer in on anyone. This young guy Kennedy can’t have been a surprise to them. 

Changed days indeed. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

We have spoken to Declan Gallagher’s agent but he has his heart set on a move to Celtic. Him alongside a fully fit John Souttar would be an excellent pairing. Hopefully Lennon gets his jotters and the new managers doesn’t fancy Gallagher.

More chance of that than a fully fit Souttar unfortunately. 

StevenNaismith
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

More chance of that than a fully fit Souttar unfortunately. 

Not true. I spoke to John last week and he’s miles ahead. He could probably be back for the last 2 months of the season but the club don’t want to rush him at all to give him as much time to recuperate as possible. Achilles injuries are really complex, you’ll never know if it’ll be completely fine or not but he’s running loads and with no pain or discomfort at all. Even going so far as to look into whether his running style may be having an impact and trying to adjust that. He’s a determined guy and I fully expect him to return and blossom. By far and away the best defender at the club and one of the best in the country.

16 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We should be using this league as a quick way to assess potential signings. Worked for Rangers for decades, poaching anyone who did well against them.

On 23/01/2021 at 17:08, Swanny17 said:

We badly need 2 new CHs ASAP.

We should be going all out for Dunne. 

hurray! Jimmy Dunne gets another mention. I still can't believe why he'd swap the EPL and £6-8k a week basic for us :)

We have had so many bad or sub standard signings you can't just blame the defence.  Naismith was just on the radio a few days ago battering the drum that we have a 'top end of the SPFL table team'  NO WE DONT, we have:

1. A top class but aging keeper

2. 2 decent full backs

3. A garbage central defence

4. One decent central midfielder who is still young and needs more help

5. 2 decent wingers

6. An aging attacking midfielder who's stray passes are becoming tiresome but is still capable

7. A striker who's close control is getting worse as every game goes past, however he can bag goals.

This is not good enough to be top half of the SPFL

Edited by brux

On 23/01/2021 at 17:06, R1874 said:

Halkett and Berra doesn’t work

Halkett and Popescu doesn’t work

Halkett and Smith didn’t work

Halkett and Clev didn’t work

Halkett and Souttar didn’t work 

For some reason I’m starting to notice a pattern

Halkett: not good at tackling and slow. Far too easy to get round him. Falls over far too often. Average on ball. Looks like scoring an OG every game

Popescu is a nothing signing. Berra is done, we all know it

Centre half situation goes far far beyond Berra. Berra is bad but don’t use him as scapegoat for all our problems there

If we aren’t signing a cb then options are a) put Haring there b) put Kingsley there c) recall Hamilton and let him play

Cannot persist with these 3 clowns

Any combination of our current cb's should really be good enough for the league we're in. The shocking defending on Saturday started further up the pitch and the only one of our midfielders to get a pass mark was Irving, all the rest are just too posh to press.

RustyRightPeg
6 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We cant go back up with this squad. It would be a disaster.

That’s my thinking. We’re borderline worse than last year and so lucky the league we are in is pish.

I’m glad we’ve got our #9 now but he’s been a free agent since July so fingers crossed he’s up to speed quickly. 

I’ll reiterate my point in that our spine (CB’s and CM’s) are weak. Irving is class technically but needs someone to cover the yards for him off the ball. Halliday still looks miles off it and Haring is what you’d expect for someone who was out for over a year. An Adao like player in the middle of the park is what we need just now, if folk remember him from a couple of years back. 

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

That’s my thinking. We’re borderline worse than last year and so lucky the league we are in is pish.

I’m glad we’ve got our #9 now but he’s been a free agent since July so fingers crossed he’s up to speed quickly. 

I’ll reiterate my point in that our spine (CB’s and CM’s) are weak. Irving is class technically but needs someone to cover the yards for him off the ball. Halliday still looks miles off it and Haring is what you’d expect for someone who was out for over a year. An Adao like player in the middle of the park is what we need just now, if folk remember him from a couple of years back. 

He had been playing for a Turkish side. I think we may have bought him or he secured his release from his contract. 

Michael Smith was also awful on Saturday, probably his worse game for us. 

But the area of the pitch where we are losing most of the goals is at centre back.  We need players who can read the game and who have the pace to get us out of trouble. Soapy might be one of those guys when fit, but none of the other 3 meet that criteria. 

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He had been playing for a Turkish side. I think we may have bought him or he secured his release from his contract. 

Ah, I skimmed the article and saw left Blackpool in the summer, apologies. 👍🏽