Centre half problems go far beyond Berra

R1874

Halkett and Berra doesn’t work

Halkett and Popescu doesn’t work

Halkett and Smith didn’t work

Halkett and Clev didn’t work

Halkett and Souttar didn’t work 

For some reason I’m starting to notice a pattern

Halkett: not good at tackling and slow. Far too easy to get round him. Falls over far too often. Average on ball. Looks like scoring an OG every game

Popescu is a nothing signing. Berra is done, we all know it

Centre half situation goes far far beyond Berra. Berra is bad but don’t use him as scapegoat for all our problems there

If we aren’t signing a cb then options are a) put Haring there b) put Kingsley there c) recall Hamilton and let him play

Cannot persist with these 3 clowns

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• davemclaren

• tian447

Diadora Van Basten

What on earth has happened to our defence. It’s not like we are playing against top notch teams and they did fine against Hibs and Celtic but are doing awful in the Championship. 

Whitecapjambo

Halkett got absolutely rinsed for that 3rd goal. Was never balanced and the wee lad didn't even have to do anything to cruise past him.

Edited by Whitecapjambo

Agreed. We were poor today but one of the many issues was that Raith defended far better than us. 

They made a number of key blocks and interceptions while Raiths forwards seemed to walk through our back line at will. 

We need two new centre halves and hopefully a fit Souttar next season. Halkett and Berra are hopeless but Popescu is a joke.

Just now, Swanny17 said:

We badly need 2 new CHs ASAP.

We should be going all out for Dunne. 

Dunne is out of our teach. We do need to solidify the central defence if we get promoted. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Snuffed out Halkett as shite after about 2 league games last season. Stevie Wonder could see it. 

yep. 

I liked the look of the boy Murray from Dunfermline no a Davie Weir or Paul Ritchie but would be a lot better than we have at the moment.

1 minute ago, Swanny17 said:

We badly need 2 new CHs ASAP.

We should be going all out for Dunne. 

No chance to get Jimmy back. The CHs cause calamity and indecision most weeks with not one of them taking command. Berra’s passing out from the back is woeful and puts the player receiving the ball under instant pressure . As well as new CHs we desperately need some creativity in the middle of the park . Irving is decent but so slow on the ball , wants too much time to find the right pass - that’s the way it looks but it’s maybe just no one is giving him options - good left peg but players start reading him too easily . 

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Snuffed out Halkett as shite after about 2 league games last season. Stevie Wonder could see it. 

Such s strange one as I think he tends to play better when the whole team defends Infront of him - maybe why he was good at livi. Against teams where we are expecting to have more of the ball he makes countless errors. That handball he gave away towards the end of the game was laughable.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

How did Halkett get in the team of the year that season at Livi.

Played as a back 3 , Gallagher and Lithgow made him look good.

Agreed. Not only could our full backs not defend today but we don’t have a single reliable CH at the club. I’m not counting Souttar by the way because he is irrelevant. 

pettigrewsstylist
18 minutes ago, Whitecapjambo said:

Halkett got absolutely rinsed for that 3rd goal. Was never balanced and the wee lad didn't even have to do anything to cruise past him.

It was woeful.

pettigrewsstylist
14 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

About 5000 pies ago.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hallkett is an overweight,slow,Crap passer,can’t read the game,no presence.Utter phoney of a CB.

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's dogshite. 

Fat, slow, no technical ability and the heart of a mouse. 

An absolute fraud. 

Diadora Van Basten

1st penalty Kingsley got skinned in one on one situation.

2nd goal Smith got skinned then unlucky as his recovery tackle appeared to get the ball.

3rd Popescu takes a dreadful touch under no pressure. Halkett absolutely skinned then no one marking the one Raith attacker.

With Smith, Kingsley and Halkett one on ones they don’t even look like they are trying to make a tackle like it’s not their job.

Whole defence was shocking today.  This season seemed like a chance for Halkett to show he could perform consistently well and cut out the mistake per game.  Unless there is a big turnaround it looks obvious he'll be back up at best for next season.

Berra looked shaky from the start today, seemed to unsettle everyone else.

Know this isn't much help short-term but (genuinely) when was the last time we brought a decent centre-back through the youth set-up into the first team?

Edited by jamborod
spelling

56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You’ve been consistent since day one with this despite abuse from myself and others. 

1 hour ago, Whitecapjambo said:

It was tearful to watch tbh.  As poor as a piece of defending your likely to see. 
Popescu tried to though 

Edited by 1971fozzy

A_A wehatethehibs

We need 1 if not 2 Center halves in before the end of the window I have been saying it throughout the transfer window thread. Blows me away that CB hasn’t been a priority for Robbie until it’s nearly too late. Just like what happens in games, we start playing after it’s too late. 

We are looking absolutely threadbare. 

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Its bizarre. He was outstanding and very quick when at livi. We sure we've signed the right player?

Any team that has any pace in their forward line can score against us. A competent, reasonably fast Ch is where our January transfer priority should be.  Schoolboy defending today. 

WheatfieldWarrior

The bigger issue isn't the Centre half's - I don't rate Halkett, but we can't expect 2 guys to defend against a whole team.

the secondary defending done by the 2 full backs and the midfield hasn't been good enough - Smith is usually far better than he was today, but Kingsley is often posted missing when we loose goals (especially the last few games and the penalty today was a joke) - it's like defending with a man down and he needs to up his game for the championship never mind the premiership. 

The contribution to defending from the midfield was also poor - Irving,  Halliday, GMS and Frear, Naismith all need to do much better.

I’d be going for Jason Kerr in the summer, he’d only have a year left on his deal at St Johnstone and at 23/24 he’ll improve despite already being better than we have

To be honest Halkett has been shit since he first came the guy has no positional sense of where he is and constantly leaves his defence exposed.He got leeway with supporters cause he scored a few goals.

I had my doubt about Halkett early last season. Berra was always last man and Halkett was 30 yards away playing catch-up. It wasn't a partnership then and isn't now. 

Berra's legs are gone but still generally win a lot in the air. Halket brings nothing at all, in fact he probably costs us goals every game by being out of position.

Liam Gordon having a stormer for St Johnstone tonight and a consistent defender.

Another young player we released cos someone at Hearts decided he wasn’t good enough 

I thought Popescu played well after his error for the 3rd goal, which was admittedly a bad one. Won most headers and they were not getting past him at all. Gordon had nothing to do after the 3rd goal, he was more in danger of hyperthermia than conceding another. Looks like Berra is injured again, but I'd play Popescu ahead if him even if he was fit.

Edited by tynewater

All 3 cb’s we have are chronic. Shame for Berra as he was a very decent defender but is clearly finished. The other 2 are just woeful and shouldn’t be anywhere near a club like ours. 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Because he was good for them. And even looked a good passer of the ball. I was delighted he signed. In a Hearts shirt he looks a different player, one thing he worrying doesn't look is confident. But with Berra beside him demanding the ball and doing f all with it that maybe explains why and those are our best tactics and have been for years 

2 hours ago, jamborod said:

Know this isn't much help short-term but (genuinely) when was the last time we brought a decent centre-back through the youth set-up into the first team?

Berra. First time round

I think halkett would be fine in the right partnership. Ie with another CB that is happy to sit and read game (Gallagher at livi I suppose)

Maybe like an Igor Rossi type.

He can be good going forwards at times and is generally good in the air. (Best statistically in the league this season).

I'd like Stuart Findlay 

2 hours ago, Jambos1983 said:

Its bizarre. He was outstanding and very quick when at livi. We sure we've signed the right player?

Good centre backs often come in pairs (Miller/McLeish, Jardine/Levein etc etc)

The year before he joined us Halkett got in the SPL team of the year having formed a pretty decent centre back partnership with Declan Gallagher. I doubt Gallagher would be interested in coming to us but there's no harm in asking (he is ooc at the end of the season iirc)

Halkett isn’t the problem. Our midfield is utterly incapable of playing defensively and covering the CB’s. This coupled with the fact that some erse has told the players to pass backwards whenever an opponent comes near you, means that the defence is under constant pressure.