Centre half problems go far beyond Berra

R1874

I've been moaning about Halkett for a while.

3 managers seem to be blind to how shite Halkett has been.

The rumour was Levein didn't go for Gallacher because of his conviction and we chose to go for Halkett. If true, Levein chose the wrong one.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• davemclaren

• pettigrewsstylist

As an ex defender, surely Robbie must be thinking about throwing Haring in at CB, he’s running out of options in there. 
Can’t be any worse than what’s on show at the moment

The Mighty Thor
26 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Halkett isn’t the problem. Our midfield is utterly incapable of playing defensively and covering the CB’s. This coupled with the fact that some erse has told the players to pass backwards whenever an opponent comes near you, means that the defence is under constant pressure.

Halkett is the constant in 2 seasons of defensive frailty. 

Shite facing the ball and worse when he's facing his own goal (generally watching the player he was 'marking' slot the ball past our keeper)

The defense is constantly under pressure because it can't defend. 

5 minutes ago, paul cook said:

As an ex defender, surely Robbie must be thinking about throwing Haring in at CB, he’s running out of options in there. 
Can’t be any worse than what’s on show at the moment

Agree - think our defence is biggest problem at the moment.  Can't keep a clean sheet....and having a defender as a manager it surprises me.

Lots of work needed there.

Italian Lambretta
6 minutes ago, Gards said:

Agree - think our defence is biggest problem at the moment.  Can't keep a clean sheet....and having a defender as a manager it surprises me.

Lots of work needed there.

I think its Stevie Wonder in the dugout not Robbie Neilson

Berra great servant but sad to say he's done, Halkett was promising when brought in from Livi but been found out over last 2 years, smith and Kingsley are ok but ageing, time to invest in our back 4 i think, supporting hearts over 35 years, had some great centre halfs, Jardine, levein, pressley, big zaliukus, Macpherson, bruno pasquale, Webster and even wilson 2014, sad to say totally lacking now at the back and leadership, we need defenders now who will push us up the park and table to promotion 

bigsuperslim1874
10 minutes ago, Boghell51 said:

Berra great servant but sad to say he's done, Halkett was promising when brought in from Livi but been found out over last 2 years, smith and Kingsley are ok but ageing, time to invest in our back 4 i think, supporting hearts over 35 years, had some great centre halfs, Jardine, levein, pressley, big zaliukus, Macpherson, bruno pasquale, Webster and even wilson 2014, sad to say totally lacking now at the back and leadership, we need defenders now who will push us up the park and table to promotion 

Kingsley is only 26 or something?!?

In the league cup haring and kingsley played ch.  They owned it 👍.   I'd take a crack at haring and Popescu or kingsley with Haliday at left back. 

Not many options to be fair. 

We seem to be losing goals resulting from opposition players coming in from the wings and/or along the byline.     

Pasquale for King

I think he might need to go to 3 at the back with a combo of Halkett/Haring/Kingsley/Smith/Popescu playing centrally if he can’t get anyone signed in the next week. 

Pasquale for King

Seeing Berra knocked to the ground by their CF in the first half and no reaction from anyone was worrying, way too soft with these types of players. 

HillmanHearts

While it’s pretty obvious our two central defenders have limitations, they are still good enough individually for this league.

Our defensive pishness is primarily down to our coaching / tactics/ set up.

Im certainly not saying “Robbie out” but we are totally shit at defending crosses or set pieces.

Our coaching staff need to ****ing focus on sorting that out.

Don’t be so arrogant to think it doesn’t matter in this league.

been here before

Must be worth chucking Wighton in the defence.

Cant be any worse than what we've got, carries a bit of a threat going forward. Could be our Sergio Ramos.

5 hours ago, R1874 said:

Halkett and Berra doesn’t work

Halkett and Popescu doesn’t work

Halkett and Smith didn’t work

Halkett and Clev didn’t work

Halkett and Souttar didn’t work 

For some reason I’m starting to notice a pattern

Halkett: not good at tackling and slow. Far too easy to get round him. Falls over far too often. Average on ball. Looks like scoring an OG every game

Popescu is a nothing signing. Berra is done, we all know it

Centre half situation goes far far beyond Berra. Berra is bad but don’t use him as scapegoat for all our problems there

If we aren’t signing a cb then options are a) put Haring there b) put Kingsley there c) recall Hamilton and let him play

Cannot persist with these 3 clowns

Spot on thats the issue right there. What annoys me is we are dominating possession. One lob up the park and the defence crumbles. Then they sit deep and just let us struggle to break them down.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, R1874 said:

Halkett and Berra doesn’t work

Halkett and Popescu doesn’t work

Halkett and Smith didn’t work

Halkett and Clev didn’t work

Halkett and Souttar didn’t work 

For some reason I’m starting to notice a pattern

Halkett: not good at tackling and slow. Far too easy to get round him. Falls over far too often. Average on ball. Looks like scoring an OG every game

Popescu is a nothing signing. Berra is done, we all know it

Centre half situation goes far far beyond Berra. Berra is bad but don’t use him as scapegoat for all our problems there

If we aren’t signing a cb then options are a) put Haring there b) put Kingsley there c) recall Hamilton and let him play

Cannot persist with these 3 clowns

I’ve been saying it for a while, Cruyff pointed ho bad he was last season and since then I’ve watched him make gaffe after gaffe. 
I think we need to go to a 3 there with Smith/Kingsley/Haring involved. As bad as they are Hamilton is not the answer and I don’t think he can be recalled. 
We still have time to get a loan in. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

What on earth has happened to our defence. It’s not like we are playing against top notch teams and they did fine against Hibs and Celtic but are doing awful in the Championship. 

They didn’t really, they gave a few chances to Hibs that were missed and Celtic missed a plethora of chances, go watch it again if you don’t believe me. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Berra than you said:

Such s strange one as I think he tends to play better when the whole team defends Infront of him - maybe why he was good at livi. Against teams where we are expecting to have more of the ball he makes countless errors. That handball he gave away towards the end of the game was laughable.

I got moaned at for swearing at my phone when that happened, nobody near him. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, jamborod said:

Know this isn't much help short-term but (genuinely) when was the last time we brought a decent centre-back through the youth set-up into the first team?

Berra 

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think he might need to go to 3 at the back with a combo of Halkett/Haring/Kingsley/Smith/Popescu playing centrally if he can’t get anyone signed in the next week. 

Just 3 at the back? 

With the amount of goals we concede, I'd be looking to go for 7 at the back next week :lol:

Pasquale for King
Just now, tian447 said:

Just 3 at the back? 

With the amount of goals we concede, I'd be looking to go for 7 at the back next week :lol:

To be fair drawing them onto us whilst tightening up and using GMS/Ginnelly pace might just be the best way to beat Raith. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

Simple we need a quality centre half.

Just the one, who’s he going to play with? Two required for next season if not now. A loan would be good until the summer. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

While it’s pretty obvious our two central defenders have limitations, they are still good enough individually for this league.

Our defensive pishness is primarily down to our coaching / tactics/ set up.

Im certainly not saying “Robbie out” but we are totally shit at defending crosses or set pieces.

Our coaching staff need to ****ing focus on sorting that out.

Don’t be so arrogant to think it doesn’t matter in this league.

I would mightily surprised if we practice crossing and defending crosses considering how bad we are at both. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

To be fair drawing them onto us whilst tightening up and using GMS/Ginnelly pace might just be the best way to beat Raith. 

Let's see:

• 7 at the back

• No midfield, pointless anyway. 

• 2 wingers and a striker in a revolutionary 7-0-2-1 formation. 

Get the ball, launch it long, out toward Gino or GMS who are playing on the wings. 

Boyce in the middle waiting for the service. 

I'd actually fancy our chances doing that, I think we've cracked it. Do you want to take the title as first team manager, or would you prefer to be my assistant? :lol:

Pasquale for King
Just now, tian447 said:

Let's see:

• 7 at the back

Get the ball, launch it long, out toward Gino or GMS who are playing on the wings. 

I'd actually fancy our chances doing that, I think we've cracked it. Do you want to take the title as first team manager, or would you prefer to be my assistant? :lol:

Ass Man please and I can take over when you’re institutionalised. You would need to be the good cop though, and I will need to grow my hair 😆.  

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Halkett is the constant in 2 seasons of defensive frailty. 

Shite facing the ball and worse when he's facing his own goal (generally watching the player he was 'marking' slot the ball past our keeper)

The defense is constantly under pressure because it can't defend. 

I said this in his first season when people were hailing him as the next great captain of the team and the abuse i got was unreal. I think Gallagher was partnered with him when he was at Livi (could be wrong) but think he was getting carried a bit there. The same when he first came to us. Souttar covered for him by tracking back to save his mistakes quite a few times before injury. 

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that Popescu might actually not be that bad a player. He is mobile, and seems to be solid enough in defence. I think the problem is that he either doesn't get a run of games or that he gets blamed for some of Halketts mistakes. I think he'll also provide goals at set pieces if he gets a sustained run in the team. I will admit he was a bit shaky in the Hibs game but he is still young enough for us to develop him!

I'm not normally one for decrying players or calling for a clear out but if i was to see 2 more centre backs come in to the team between now and next season, i would be neither surprised or disappointed. I would like to see Harring given another go at the CB position (his natural position before joining us) once back up to match fitness. Call me crazy, but I think a Harring Popescu paring would perform best in the CB positions from what we have!

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ass Man please and I can take over when you’re institutionalised. You would need to be the good cop though, and I will need to grow my hair 😆.  

I can be the good cop, no problem, looking forward to being hounded out after a bad result and leaving you to pick up the pieces :)

Calebs Grandad

I don’t think many defenses would hold out against Raiths forward line given these guys were playing at Ebbsfleet and also Hayes and Yeading only a season ago. 

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Musemic said:

Good centre backs often come in pairs (Miller/McLeish, Jardine/Levein etc etc)

The year before he joined us Halkett got in the SPL team of the year having formed a pretty decent centre back partnership with Declan Gallagher. I doubt Gallagher would be interested in coming to us but there's no harm in asking (he is ooc at the end of the season iirc)

Livi look ok defensively because they played in a team where everybody defends.

The season Halkett got the plaudits, he was playing in a back 5, so you'd probably need a trio of players rather than a pair, so you probably need Lithgow as well.

For the kind of club we are, we need to be playing a 4 and we need need players that are comfortable with that.

I think we'll deal with the centre back position in the summer and bring in players that look good playing in a 4.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I can be the good cop, no problem, looking forward to being hounded out after a bad result and leaving you to pick up the pieces :)

The moaners will love me as I will be slaughtering the useless ***** more than any of them, the happy clappers or “real” Hearts fans will need Budge to hold their hands during games. 
Then I will spontaneously combust in a Derby. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

I don’t think many defenses would hold out against Raiths forward line given these guys were playing at Ebbsfleet and also Hayes and Yeading only a season ago. 

Hahahahaha 👍🏽

Berra than you
33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I got moaned at for swearing at my phone when that happened, nobody near him. 

I just can't understand what caused him to do it. Bizarre

SectionDJambo
18 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Can you imagine the reaction if we had signed players from those clubs?

And yet they ran our defence ragged for about an hour.

But it’s not just the defence. Where was the protection from our midfield? A midfield which wasn’t supporting much in an attacking sense either. Huge gaps up both wings and in the middle of the pitch, which Raith Rovers had a great time running through.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I just can't understand what caused him to do it. Bizarre

Just a below par football player playing for the biggest team he ever will. Not even sure if Livi will take him back when he hopefully leaves us in the not too distant future. 

5 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

The bigger issue isn't the Centre half's - I don't rate Halkett, but we can't expect 2 guys to defend against a whole team.

the secondary defending done by the 2 full backs and the midfield hasn't been good enough - Smith is usually far better than he was today, but Kingsley is often posted missing when we loose goals (especially the last few games and the penalty today was a joke) - it's like defending with a man down and he needs to up his game for the championship never mind the premiership. 

The contribution to defending from the midfield was also poor - Irving,  Halliday, GMS and Frear, Naismith all need to do much better.

✔️:greatpost:

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Let's see:

• 7 at the back

Fairly sure Levein already tried 7 at the back.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The moaners will love me as I will be slaughtering the useless ***** more than any of them, the happy clappers or “real” Hearts fans will need Budge to hold their hands during games. 
Then I will spontaneously combust in a Derby. 

We can but dream. 😄

35 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Popescu was abysmal today

His initial impact was somewhat disastrous but he won a lot in the air to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Imagine where we would be without Craig Gordon 🙈

It would be the same as when we had the hologram in goals last season.  That game today we would of lost by 2 or 3.

Gordons already saved us at least 4 points not to mention the semi.

our defence is shocking in a division full of part time players. The games against the better teams we have lost. 
what’s terrifying is that it’s been the same under Levein, Stendell and now again Neilson.  
smiths decent, but Berra and Halkett are nowhere near good enough and the less said about Popescu the better. Kingsley form has worryingly dipped as well.  And with little to no protection from the likes of Halliday we see it getting worse