Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, south morocco said:

He’s not a senior player. He’s 20 years old. He’s a young player.

I am treating him as a first team player, as an equal. There are standards if you want to call yourself a starter at this club. Every player today, fell below those standards. By miles. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

Central Belt 1874
1 minute ago, saxondale said:

Clearly had a good game. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs their head checked.

Standards have dropped to an all time low at Hearts and among fans if you think he had a good game, or even if having a good game is relevant following a loss at home in the Championship where we conceded 3 goals to Raith Rovers. 

He's bang average. In a crap team. I'm not writing him off, but he dosent offer enough, like the rest of the team, over a full 90 minutes. 

27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He should take it as a compliment, I am treating him exactly the same way I would treat any senior player. I will hold his performance to exactly the same standards. Raiths midfield had a pretty comfortable game today. 

So you said 😏

1 hour ago, RENE said:

Cant  believe some of the comments on here. His completion rate must have been around 80/90 per cent.  He was our top player AGAIN.  He needs to be signed up now.   

Absolutely this.

In a class of his own today.

Top player today by a distance.Very rarely gave the ball away and always looking to go forward.Very difficult to keep playing like that when the defence is throwing goals away. 1.5 goals against per game makes it very difficult for the players in front of them.

Let's not slate a youngster for the faults of the senior pros around him.

fabienleclerq

Really feel sorry for him with our static team. Boy has vision and a good passing range, needs busy players around him not passengers like Halliday etc. 

Felix Lighter
29 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Standards have dropped to an all time low at Hearts and among fans if you think he had a good game, or even if having a good game is relevant following a loss at home in the Championship where we conceded 3 goals to Raith Rovers. 

He's bang average. In a crap team. I'm not writing him off, but he dosent offer enough, like the rest of the team, over a full 90 minutes. 

He is not bang average. With more mobile, intelligent players around him and in front of him making runs into space he'll pick them out. Great passing and good at creating space for himself. Unfortunately as we saw today the turgid, safety first passing across the back four meant when he did pick the ball up he was looking at a packed opposition half and marked team mates with their backs to goal.

He was average today and nowhere near good enough only thing he has that the other's don't is he's young so should improve 

The whole team was terrible today and he's got to take his part of the blame 

Central Belt 1874
21 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

He is not bang average. With more mobile, intelligent players around him and in front of him making runs into space he'll pick them out. Great passing and good at creating space for himself. Unfortunately as we saw today the turgid, safety first passing across the back four meant when he did pick the ball up he was looking at a packed opposition half and marked team mates with their backs to goal.

Fair comment, but I'm sure we were having this debate when Djoum was here, if only he had better players around him then things could have been different at that time. Theres been almost no quality invested in midfield since then, through successive managers. 

I'd like to see him with more mobile, athletic players around him too, but the way the club has been run this past five or so years, I not confident we will see this. 

I feel just like Djoum, Irving is going to split the support through a combination of little pace and poor players around him. 

Felix Lighter
13 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Fair comment, but I'm sure we were having this debate when Djoum was here, if only he had better players around him then things could have been different at that time. Theres been almost no quality invested in midfield since then, through successive managers. 

I'd like to see him with more mobile, athletic players around him too, but the way the club has been run this past five or so years, I not confident we will see this. 

I feel just like Djoum, Irving is going to split the support through a combination of little pace and poor players around him. 

Oh for a Colin Cameron or Paul Hartley right enough. In the meantime I'm hopeful Gino and GMS get up to speed and can provide an outlet for him.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, jambocub said:

He was average today and nowhere near good enough only thing he has that the other's don't is he's young so should improve 

The whole team was terrible today and he's got to take his part of the blame 

This. Also terribly one footed its unreal.

Might get better but seeing kennedy move with the ball made me think Irving is miles behind!!!

7 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Might get better but seeing kennedy move with the ball made me think Irving is miles behind!!!

Next season will be a huge step up assuming we get promoted 

He'll need to improve his overall game pretty quickly if he wants to be a starter in the premier league 

He's certainly not the only player though in that category

6 hours ago, Section Q said:

Don't agree with this at all. Always seems willing. To me his biggest flaw is thinking he's the best player on the park. Gordon could have done better for two of the goals. Could our lack of energy in the first hour be down to our aging players...?

I think "Seems" is  an appropriate description.

Pasquale for King

Really needs an energetic ball winner beside him to free him up to play further forward and find those passes in between the lines from ten yards not forty. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Felix Lighter said:

Oh for a Colin Cameron or Paul Hartley right enough. In the meantime I'm hopeful Gino and GMS get up to speed and can provide an outlet for him.

I mentioned on another thread that we chose Halliday who is similar to what we have over someone like Jackson Irvine. 

6 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

They are 2 completely different kind of players. Stupid comparison. 

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

They are 2 completely different kind of players. Stupid comparison. 

Of course they are different kinds of players but Irving at times looks uncomfortable on the ball when its on his bad foot.

Never mind though, aye he's brilliant coz he's young and scottish and at hearts so best not slate him.

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Really needs an energetic ball winner beside him to free him up to play further forward and find those passes in between the lines from ten yards not forty. 

A pre injury peter haring type.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Yep, or maybe a Gomis / Blackie / Brellier. Someone who can mix it physically, has the legs, and will do the job safely in possession in the deep lying area. With that type of player I think we would see a transformation in both Irving and Halliday as, whichever combination of them and the forwards is playing, they’d have more licence to get forward and create, not have it playing on their minds what’s going on behind them. 

But in addition to that, and more importantly tbh, the CB situation needs a solution. One thing that would be handy would be is, if Haring has lost a yard, maybe he can slot in at Center half. I just don’t know if physically he could cope with it though. 

Quite simply, Irving is a decent prospect. He has a major skill/ability of vision and passing. That alone isn't enough to compete at better levels. He is one footed, doesn't tackle or defend well and doesn't work hard enough out of possession. These though are skills/attributes that can be worked on. He is only 1 element of a team. We should have players around him to compensate for his weaker areas and complement him, yes, but he has to work on these developments too. Many on here are making him out as a panacea but he should not have too much expected of him. 

With Irving you can see improvement in his game every season, Obviously he isn't the finished article yet but he never hides and always looks to get us forward and plays it forward when most play it sideways or backwards.

Please sign on andy! 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Haring even now,must be a better option than Poepescu 

You would think so but that first half vs Dundee was alarming. He was chasing shadows. It would be brilliant if he is able to slot in there, but I’m not about to hold my breath. 

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When you get a decent player on your hands you have to keep him. If we don't, it's another few years of throwing contracts at Halliday, Bozanic, Damour, Martin, Tziolis, Lee and the likes

15 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Like I said, if you genuinely think that, you need your head checked.

A player can have a good game even if the rest were rubbish.

Us conceding 3 goals was nothing to do with Irving.

wattie exploited
16 hours ago, billybalfour said:

Top player today by a distance.Very rarely gave the ball away and always looking to go forward.Very difficult to keep playing like that when the defence is throwing goals away. 1.5 goals against per game makes it very difficult for the players in front of them.

Let's not slate a youngster for the faults of the senior pros around him.

spot on half our team is gash :rifle:

2 hours ago, saxondale said:

Like I said, if you genuinely think that, you need your head checked.

A player can have a good game even if the rest were rubbish.

Us conceding 3 goals was nothing to do with Irving.

Course it's to do with him it's a team game and he was a part of that terrible hour or so that we had yesterday

We created nothing for an hour and conceded 3 

Our whole team bar gordon were terrible until we scored 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He might still get back to that we have to give him time. 

Some people get so blinded by the result and general performance. Irving, particularly first half yesterday, was absolutely fantastic and any suitors watching would be mightily impressed. 

Edited by Bill Bones

wattie exploited
On 18/01/2021 at 18:34, gashauskis9 said:

Thank **** for Stendel and Robbie putting faith in the lad.  He’s been one of few shining lights for us in the last 2 years and one of the best technical players we’ve ever produced.  

We should enjoy him while we have him.  This lad will captain his country one day.  

definitely one of the best players that have come through the hearts academy in recent years :rifle: 

Glamorgan Jambo

Thought he had an excellent game yesterday. Always looking up and trying to

make space and the forward pass. The only one of our central midfielders that is currently undroppable. 

Really hope we can get this deal done. It’s the right place for his career for the next couple of seasons. 

7 hours ago, jambocub said:

Course it's to do with him it's a team game and he was a part of that terrible hour or so that we had yesterday

We created nothing for an hour and conceded 3 

Our whole team bar gordon were terrible until we scored 

That way of thinking is unfair and incorrect.

A single player can quite easily play well during a period where most, or even all, of the players do not play well.

Hence why a manager may for example express his/her disappointment with a result or team's performance, but single out one or two players that played well or get pass marks. This happens all the time.

And your final sentence just contradicts yourself.

I thought he had a good game yesterday. One of the few who did. I would definitely like to see Hearts get this boy signed to a long term contract. At the moment, he is the glue that is holding the team together. He is the one who is linking everything up by getting on the ball and spreading passes around. Promising.

Edited by No Idle Talk

I thought he was our best player by a distance. Maybe not hard on that showing but no reflection on him. His pass inside the full back for ginnely to cross was excellent. of course he has areas to improve on but he is only 20. no brainer to get hims signed up.

iwasthere1954
On 22/01/2021 at 12:30, Smith's right boot said:

I never have Tbh. 

It's expected. 

If they are young and play well, they won't sign an extension ( Patterson and Hickey). 

If they are OK, they might stay on but not have much of an impact. 

It's a bit shit Tbh. 

Of course the problem we now have is the young guys are hardly getting a chance.

wattie exploited
On 24/01/2021 at 08:39, TypoonJambo said:

Haring even now,must be a better option than Poepescu 

last game haring played he had a nightmare :rifle:  

hopefully it was a one off as we really have missed him the last year and more but still think it will be a while before he is even close to being fully fit again :rifle:

7 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

last game haring played he had a nightmare :rifle:  

hopefully it was a one off as we really have missed him the last year and more but still think it will be a while before he is even close to being fully fit again :rifle:

The lack of reserve football is probably a kick in the nuts for big Pete in particular.

Big man so obviously looks rusty but it's a catch 22. We basically aren't good enough to have him ease his way in.

With that in mind, hopefully a light load this season, a full preseason and we get our Pete back properly for the Prem

Edited by TheBigO

13 hours ago, hisnameis said:

I thought he was our best player by a distance. Maybe not hard on that showing but no reflection on him. His pass inside the full back for ginnely to cross was excellent. of course he has areas to improve on but he is only 20. no brainer to get hims signed up.

Agreed!  I couldn't believe some saying he was average.  Especially first half, he was very good.

wattie exploited
18 hours ago, TheBigO said:

The lack of reserve football is probably a kick in the nuts for big Pete in particular.

Big man so obviously looks rusty but it's a catch 22. We basically aren't good enough to have him ease his way in.

With that in mind, hopefully a light load this season, a full preseason and we get our Pete back properly for the Prem

how much longer is his contract ?

18 hours ago, TheBigO said:

the best way to ease Haring back in, is at centre back and let him get some minutes in his legs.

He was fantastic on the ball but god awful

off it. Their midfield ran through us at will. Needs to massively improve his defensive side of the game.

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

He was fantastic on the ball but god awful

off it. Their midfield ran through us at will. Needs to massively improve his defensive side of the game.

this is where I’m at. He is our best midfielder by some distance, he actually the best passer of a ball that we have had for a long time. But he does need to improve his work rate of the ball. 

but then, so does everyone else with exception of a couple

Edited by kingantti1874

Really like Andy but he needs to really be on it every game as his contribution off the ball isn't great, potential to be seen as a luxury player or even a risk in certain games. 

It's alright having the technical ability but if guys like Darian McKinnon are running you off the park it's a concern. 

Makes me wonder if he could play as a 10 with two workers behind him. He's got the eye for a pass and clearly has a decent strike, plus the boys playing there now are hardly lighting it up! 

50 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Maybe he's stalling as he has the vision to see most of the squad are pish.

I wonder if he’s waiting to see who we are bringing in to see if it will affect the amount of game time he gets.

4 minutes ago, Rory Mcilroy said:

Really like Andy but he needs to really be on it every game as his contribution off the ball isn't great, potential to be seen as a luxury player or even a risk in certain games. 

It's alright having the technical ability but if guys like Darian McKinnon are running you off the park it's a concern. 

Makes me wonder if he could play as a 10 with two workers behind him. He's got the eye for a pass and clearly has a decent strike, plus the boys playing there now are hardly lighting it up! 

Spot on mate, i would like to see Irving pushed forward in to the number 10 role (at the expense of Naisy or Walker) as his vision and passing are far superior to any other player in our current team. Throw in the fact that the laddie can realy strike a ball and will also chip in with goals and its a no brainer. However I feel with Armand's arrival that Irving will play as one of a two man centre midfield with Boyce playing more as a deeper lying forward and Armand spear heading the attack. If this is the route Robbie chooses to go down he will need a partner for Irving in the centre of the park who is very mobile, can get about the park and can sniff out danger before it happens. This would allow Irving more freedom to dictate and control the pace of the game. I am also hoping that Robbie does not sacrifice GMS or Ginnelly to squeeze Naisy,Boyce and Armand into his starting eleven.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

If this is the route Robbie chooses to go down he will need a partner for Irving in the centre of the park who is very mobile, can get about the park and can sniff out danger before it happens. 

Scot Robinson from Livvy on a pre-contract might not be the worst move for a more dynamic midfielder who can sniff out a goal. As you say we only have ponderous central mids, and Walker doesn't do that getting about the park thing.

Made it look easy tonight. Easily the most technically gifted player I've seen us produce. Looks like a new and fitter Barry Ferguson. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )