Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

He has been in the first team squad for how long now? I'm guessing getting on for two years. I have been singing his praises for most of that time, and I'm claiming some right to do so having watched football players for the best part of 60 years. He's still only 20 so there is plenty of scope for him to get even better. We should be pushing the boat to get him.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

You have to wonder at Neilson's judgement sometimes with his omission at Dundee

No you don't. Putting Peter Haring in was a perfectly fair enough call, he was brought into the side for his experience and quality. After Irvings hiccup against Ayr as well, a bad lack of concentration that cost us a goal. 

We're only 11 games in and it's perfectly fair for the manager to be trying various different midfield combinations.

But unfortunately, Haring was alarmingly off the pace in that game... to the extent that it has shocked a lot of folk, there are now questions for Haring. Neilson showed excellent judgement hooking him at half time in that game. 

21 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I'm a massive fan of Irving but he had one of his poorest games the previous week so I wasn't surprised to see him left out that night. Having seen how the game went everyone clearly wishes he had started.

29 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I agree. I was disappointed when I saw his starting lineup which was designed to try and not lose the game which backfired.

The difference once Irving came on was massive and should be a learning curve for Robbie.

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

He has been in the first team squad for how long now? I'm guessing getting on for two years. I have been singing his praises for most of that time, and I'm claiming some right to do so having watched football players for the best part of 60 years. He's still only 20 so there is plenty of scope for him to get even better. We should be pushing the boat to get him.

Spot on! I’d rather we pushed the boat out for a very talented lad we have seen playing and who came through our system rather than the likes of Damour and some of the other rubbish we have signed in recent years!

7 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I'm a massive fan of Irving but he had one of his poorest games the previous week so I wasn't surprised to see him left out that night. Having seen how the game went everyone clearly wishes he had started.

But it seems the done thing with managers now to take players out after 1 poor game. Levein did it all the time. 

Irving should be getting the chance to play through more ineffectual games. See if he responds in the next one, let him get used to different types of games and scenarios.  How else does a player learn?

This isn’t a pop at you btw😁, just get miffed at managers now feeling like they need to change the team so often. 

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree. I was disappointed when I saw his starting lineup which was designed to try and not lose the game which backfired.

The difference once Irving came on was massive and should be a learning curve for Robbie.

That negativity in big games away from home is Robbie’s weakness.

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

This. 

Irving has always had to battle his way in to the team ahead more ‘senior’ players. He had work to get in Levein’s team, then McPhee’s, then Stendal’s, and now Robbies.  He’s plays well in one game only for a senior player to get a nod in the next game. 

Irving needs game time in men’s football to get better and this should be the factor in signing the contract. If Robbie/Hearts don’t trust him as first team starter then why stick around. He won’t improve on the bench or in reserve games. 

Sorry but this shite needs knocked on the head. Irving is playing the most football of his career to date. He started the first game of the season, he started the cup final, he's been involved every week when he's been fit (he was out with concussion 5 or 6 games ago) whether starting or from the bench, there is clear daylight between him and Peter Haring - Irving is on 593 league minutes vs Haring 344 minutes. Andy has been a major part of the first team since day 1 of Neilson arriving. 

And not only is he playing the most football, he is playing the best football of his career to date. A big slice of credit for his current form gets given to Robbie Neilson and Lee McCulloch, they are both winners, and Andy Irving is starting to look like a winner. Last season he played 18 times in the league, 14 starts 4 from the bench, and won just 3 of the games. He'll be embarrassed by that and rightly so. But he's well on his way to putting that right. 

But there are still some gaps in his game where sometimes you think, an experienced guy wouldn't have done that, where he maybe just takes 1 risk too many. Which is why Haring was put in a few times, or Lee-Halliday was tried on 1 or 2 occasions. 

But the bottom line is, this "Irvings no getting enough games" is absolute shite and needs binned.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But it seems the done thing with managers now to take players out after 1 poor game. Levein did it all the time. 

Irving should be getting the chance to play through more ineffectual games. See if he responds in the next one, let him get used to different types of games and scenarios.  How else does a player learn?

This isn’t a pop at you btw😁, just get miffed at managers now feeling like they need to change the team so often. 

Well lets look at the evidence. He was dropped for Dundee for the experienced Haring, after being poor vs Ayr, then he came on at half time and completely changed the game in Hearts favour. Then he's started again vs Alloa and been man of the match. 

To me that looks like, pretty much, a good bit of management actually? You're talking about, how does a player learn but if you look at what's happened... he's learned? He's come back after Ayr and taken a big step forward. 

Whereas, we could've started him vs Dundee, he would have been on the pitch for that first half when Charlie Adam played us off the park, and it might have gone another way for him. He might have played badly again and his confidence could've taken another dent. So no, managing a young players form is not just about playing him every week no matter what, sometimes they need to be taken out of the team and coached.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well lets look at the evidence. He was dropped for Dundee for the experienced Haring, after being poor vs Ayr, then he came on at half time and completely changed the game in Hearts favour. Then he's started again vs Alloa and been man of the match. 

To me that looks like, pretty much, a good bit of management actually? You're talking about, how does a player learn but if you look at what's happened... he's learned? He's come back after Ayr and taken a big step forward. 

Whereas, we could've started him vs Dundee, he would have been on the pitch for that first half when Charlie Adam played us off the park, and it might have gone another way for him. He might have played badly again and his confidence could've taken another dent. So no, managing a young players form is not just about playing him every week no matter what, sometimes they need to be taken out of the team and coached.

I know they need time out to assess, take stock and refresh.  In hindsight it didn’t look like good management bringing in Haring who had a shocker. 

We had no player on the park in the first half who could take the ball, retain it and do something effective. 

But it’s all ifs and buts, I know. Tbh, my point covers a long period going much further back and not solely attributed to Irving.  

Edited by Debut 4

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sorry but this shite needs knocked on the head. Irving is playing the most football of his career to date. He started the first game of the season, he started the cup final, he's been involved every week when he's been fit (he was out with concussion 5 or 6 games ago) whether starting or from the bench, there is clear daylight between him and Peter Haring - Irving is on 593 league minutes vs Haring 344 minutes. Andy has been a major part of the first team since day 1 of Neilson arriving. 

And not only is he playing the most football, he is playing the best football of his career to date. A big slice of credit for his current form gets given to Robbie Neilson and Lee McCulloch, they are both winners, and Andy Irving is starting to look like a winner. Last season he played 18 times in the league, 14 starts 4 from the bench, and won just 3 of the games. He'll be embarrassed by that and rightly so. But he's well on his way to putting that right. 

But there are still some gaps in his game where sometimes you think, an experienced guy wouldn't have done that, where he maybe just takes 1 risk too many. Which is why Haring was put in a few times, or Lee-Halliday was tried on 1 or 2 occasions. 

But the bottom line is, this "Irvings no getting enough games" is absolute shite and needs binned.

TBF I was referring Irving’s game time over 2 years. Yes he’s playing now... and I hope it stays that way. 

But if Robbie brings in another defending Midfielder what should Irving think. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Debut 4 said:

I know they need time out to assess, take stock and refresh.  In hindsight it didn’t look like good management bringing in sharing who had a shocker. 

We had no player on the park in the first half who could take the ball, retain it and do something effective. 

But it’s all ifs and buts, I know. Tbh, my point covers a long period going much further back and not solely attributed to Irving.  

- a good bit of man management i should have said, specifically talking about Irving. 

And who among us expected that shocker from Peter Haring. Nobody. 

As I say I feel a lot of folk seem to be having a dig at Neilson over Irving, but for me it's the other way round, Irving has been overall brilliant this season so in my book, you give a manager credit when a young player shows this type of good form. 

27 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

TBF I was referring Irving’s game time over 2 years. Yes he’s playing now... and I hope it stays that way. 

I wouldn't call Irving a defensive midfielder so I don't think he'd be that bothered.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Well, we need another midfielder, definitely, we need 2 actually, you need 4x Premiership quality centre mids to challenge for 3rd in the Premiership which is the standard at Hearts. You need different qualities for different games, you need ball winners, passers, box to box, utility men. You don't go into the season with Irving-Halliday as your only options, that's for sure.  

So, Irving should think, I am going to have to step up my game again because judging by Gary MacKay Steven coming in, Smithy signed up for next season, Louis Moult on the cards, there's more of that quality to follow, we have just cleared the decks of a lot of wage thieves so the fans will expect some serious quality in the building. Irving should be buzzing that he's been such a big part of things under Neilson but we will expect him to kick on and be pushing for a call up to Stevie Clarkes squads. That's the performance levels we need. Hearts is a club where 1st in the Championship is not much of an achievement.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

I wouldn't call Irving a defensive midfielder so I don't think he'd be that bothered.

He's maybe meaning the introduction of a defensive mid instead of someone to attack Alongside  Irving?

Edited by Riccarton3

59 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

That negativity in big games away from home is Robbie’s weakness.

It is although hopefully once he has a team made up of the players he wants and trusts he will change that mindset.

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Spot on! I’d rather we pushed the boat out for a very talented lad we have seen playing and who came through our system rather than the likes of Damour and some of the other rubbish we have signed in recent years!

Seems obvious, doesn't it?

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Spot on

Thank **** for Stendel and Robbie putting faith in the lad.  He’s been one of few shining lights for us in the last 2 years and one of the best technical players we’ve ever produced.  

We should enjoy him while we have him.  This lad will captain his country one day.  

11 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Thank **** for Stendel and Robbie putting faith in the lad.  He’s been one of few shining lights for us in the last 2 years and one of the best technical players we’ve ever produced.  

We should enjoy him while we have him.  This lad will captain his country one day.  

:asiancat:

12 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’d love to see him captain us!  I want to see him develop and play regular for the next 3/4 seasons . 

Allowayjambo1874
23 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I absolutely get what you are saying but want to put a different slant on this. I agree with you when I saw the line up v Dundee with Irving missing the first thing I thought was ‘he’s getting dropped because of the **** up v Ayr’.  However, tin hat on, I think this is ‘lazy’ management. Robbie should be coaching this out of him and making him learn from the error, not dropping him. Every man and his dog sees Irving right now is our most effective midfielder, dropping him felt like cutting of our nose to spite our face. Why wasn’t Smith dropped after making a screw up at the end v Ayr, why is Berra not dropped after Dundee debacle? It’s not as easy to say to an experienced pro ‘your dropped after screwing that up’ but it is to a laddie. You see it all the time in matches, managers tend to sub the young inexperienced player in a match first, almost no matter what is going on.

Just think dropping Irving in his current form was a stupid move. 

I will go get the tin hat ready! 

4 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I absolutely get what you are saying but want to put a different slant on this. I agree with you when I saw the line up v Dundee with Irving missing the first thing I thought was ‘he’s getting dropped because of the **** up v Ayr’.  However, tin hat on, I think this is ‘lazy’ management. Robbie should be coaching this out of him and making him learn from the error, not dropping him. Every man and his dog sees Irving right now is our most effective midfielder, dropping him felt like cutting of our nose to spite our face. Why wasn’t Smith dropped after making a screw up at the end v Ayr, why is Berra not dropped after Dundee debacle? It’s not as easy to say to an experienced pro ‘your dropped after screwing that up’ but it is to a laddie. You see it all the time in matches, managers tend to sub the young inexperienced player in a match first, almost no matter what is going on.

Or Michael smith cost us a goal vs Ayr or ginelly trying a nutmeg on the edge of the box vs Alloa that led to their goal. Players make mistakes especially the ones who have the largest possession stats.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

As I said in the post it's just about looking at the evidence of what's happened. He's had a lapse against Ayr, which has led to the manager looking to the experienced Haring for the next game, which was a big away game where you'd think a bit more experience would help you. Perfectly fair decision... you'd expect big Pete to come in and stroll it wouldn't you? But then, an absolute shocker.  

Irving stepped back in the team and 45 mins vs dundee, 90 vs Alloa - he has played arguably his best 135 minutes of football this season. That's what you call taking your chance. 

So when you look at man management it's about looking at the outcome. Irving to me, each time he's come out the team he has come back stronger, quicker, a bit sharper and more focused. To me though, it looks like Dundee might be the real turning point where, Irving has made his statement now, he is clearly ahead of Haring in the pecking order for the moment but he knows now after that, that if he goes another 4 or 5 games, if he drops off again and has another slack performance, he might be out the team again. That's how you raise a young players consistency levels. 

Allowayjambo1874
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As I said in the post it's just about looking at the evidence of what's happened. He's had a lapse against Ayr, which has led to the manager looking to the experienced Haring for the next game, which was a big away game where you'd think a bit more experience would help you. Perfectly fair decision... you'd expect big Pete to come in and stroll it wouldn't you? But then, an absolute shocker.  

Irving stepped back in the team and 45 mins vs dundee, 90 vs Alloa - he has played arguably his best 135 minutes of football this season. That's what you call taking your chance. 

So when you look at man management it's about looking at the outcome. Irving to me, each time he's come out the team he has come back stronger, quicker, a bit sharper and more focused. To me though, it looks like Dundee might be the real turning point where, Irving has made his statement now, he is clearly ahead of Haring in the pecking order for the moment but he knows now after that, that if he goes another 4 or 5 games, if he drops off again and has another slack performance, he might be out the team again. That's how you raise a young players consistency levels. 

Good points and hopefully this is the turning point for him, I don’t think we can afford to keep dropping him. He’s really important especially now that Lee has gone.

wattie exploited
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:asiancat:

has great potential for sure give him a run of games and get him signed up much better than what we have got at present 

4 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

has great potential for sure give him a run of games and get him signed up much better than what we have got at present 

His passing ability is brilliant. 

Brick Tamland

His vision and range of passing is on a different level. I also liked how he wasn’t intimidated by Adams and gave him as good as he got. To me, he is growing into a top class midfield player who can score goals and that is what we need but so does every other team so I would love to see him with us for a few more years and then see the boy get a big money move. 

14 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

His vision and range of passing is on a different level. I also liked how he wasn’t intimidated by Adams and gave him as good as he got. To me, he is growing into a top class midfield player who can score goals and that is what we need but so does every other team so I would love to see him with us for a few more years and then see the boy get a big money move. 

Spot on.

My very fave thing about how he plays is that first touch which always looks to give him space. His awareness of what's around him is amazing.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Spot on.

My very fave thing about how he plays is that first touch which always looks to give him space. His awareness of what's around him is amazing.

I like when he gets closed down he does a safe pass to the center back, moves a couple meters, gets the ball back and looks for the pass again. 

4 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

I like when he gets closed down he does a safe pass to the center back, moves a couple meters, gets the ball back and looks for the pass again. 

And his body shape, on the half turn, will allow him to look forward first for the next pass.  Kid's got it (and from what I've heard, the attitude to match), we need to make sure he goes as far as he can in the game.

3 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on. He looked like he was getting to Adams.

And if Adams had been booked each time he should have, he'd have got about 6 yellow cards!

That game was pretty good indicator that Irving should be one of first names on teamsheet.  It probably did him no harm medium-longterm to be sub that day actually!

Time to get worried....when a player is focused on improvement and knows there is a contract waiting but has not signed it the warning signs are there

A new contract is on the agenda, although Irving is focused on continuing his improvement for now, and Neilson believes there’s more to come from the academy graduate.

He said: “I’m pleased with the way Andy is progressing. There’s no doubting his ability on the ball, his left foot is like a wand sometimes. On the physical side of the game and defensive side, I can see him progressing very quickly.

Malinga the Swinga

Thing is, if he wants to sign new contract he will, if he wants to leave, he will. 

Only do so much and rest up to player. 

wattie exploited
21 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

best passer of a ball and will only get better with a run of game time ! 

6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thing is, if he wants to sign new contract he will, if he wants to leave, he will. 

Only do so much and rest up to player. 

He knows and has been advised he is good enough to play first team every week and needs it for his development.  He plays and we want him enough wages wise he signs.

We baws this up many people have to be help accountable. 

Guest ToqueJambo

It's a while since we've had a midfielder who can fairly regularly rattle them in from distance like he can, on top of his other attributes. Jamie Walker at his peak was probably the last.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Neil Dongcaster
4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's a while since we've had a midfielder who can fairly regularly rattle them in from distance like he can, on top of his other attributes. Jamie Walker at his peak was probably the last.

I think people also overlook the fact the lad is 6’2. Charlie Adam looked really uncomfortable when Andy imposed himself in the Dundee game.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I think people also overlook the fact the lad is 6’2. Charlie Adam looked really uncomfortable when Andy imposed himself in the Dundee game.

Also, when Irving came on, Adam was done. Blowing out his, fat arse. 

Bazzas right boot

I like Irving, he has a good range of passing and has been decent for us, some very good games sprinkled with poor games. 

Too many players get over hyped on here them just to fall away. The list is endless. Hope he's not another one. 

I'm far from convinced yet, if he's as good as some make on here he should be a stand out most games for us, he's not even been automatic first pick for us this season. 

That will change now Lee has gone and at the level we are at he'll get a run and he needs to show what he can do. 

I want him to stay, he has potential, but he's far from the finished article atm. 

wattie exploited
On 18/01/2021 at 12:28, Thomaso said:

100% this :rifle:

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I like Irving, he has a good range of passing and has been decent for us, some very good games sprinkled with poor games. 

Too many players get over hyped on here them just to fall away. The list is endless. Hope he's not another one. 

I'm far from convinced yet, if he's as good as some make on here he should be a stand out most games for us, he's not even been automatic first pick for us this season. 

That will change now Lee has gone and at the level we are at he'll get a run and he needs to show what he can do. 

I want him to stay, he has potential, but he's far from the finished article atm. 

Neilson has not made him an automatic pick - many including me thinks he should have been.

Nobody is saying he is the finished article - but he has massive potential and that is why we need to get him into a 5 year contract so that in a couple of years he may well be the finished article, and we will get the benefit.

Edited by Thomaso

On 20/01/2021 at 09:57, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on. He looked like he was getting to Adams.

He was indeed - hence the reason Adam tried to niggle him to put him off his game - he failed!

A_A wehatethehibs
28 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Neilson has not made him an automatic pick - many including me thinks he should have been.

Nobody is saying he is the finished article - but he has massive potential and that is why we need to get him into a 5 year contract so that in a couple of years he may well be the finished article, and we will get the benefit.

5 year contract is too long for a player that’s as of now, proved very little above championship level. I think it’ll be a 2 year deal on the first team average wage, with an option to extend at any time by a further 1-2 years and upgrade his wages. Incentivise his growth. I was right about Kingsleys deal, let’s see who’s right this time. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 18/01/2021 at 04:28, Thomaso said:

Definitely this. We've tried taking punts with long contracts for Damour, Martin and Oshaniwa. We should take a chance on a youngster now, even a 3 year deal with an extension option could be good but try to get a clause in there so we have a good chance of a fee. We've always been very fair with our youngsters so it would be good for one of them to trust we'll do the right thing by them as well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Heard the same about numerous others on here. 

If we get him on a five year deal and he's average, folk like yourself will be the first moaning. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

5 year contract is too long for a player that’s as of now, proved very little above championship level. I think it’ll be a 2 year deal on the first team average wage, with an option to extend at any time by a further 1-2 years and upgrade his wages. Incentivise his growth. I was right about Kingsleys deal, let’s see who’s right this time. 

Sense. 

If the lad thinks he can get more elsewhere then fair doos, thanks and bye. 

Hopefully he signs but all he has is potential. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sense. 

If the lad thinks he can get more elsewhere then fair doos, thanks and bye. 

Hopefully he signs but all he has is potential. 

Other clubs will be quite happy for Hearts to sign him and show faith in him. They will see that as Hearts taking a risk on a not-finished-article youngster, rather than using our financial advantage to focus on buying the best quality in the division.

But IMO we will do both. Get Irving signed up and hand him Lee’s #8 jersey. Back the lads talent and incentivise him. And then look to bring in a real athlete who will dominate physically as well.

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I haven't heard anyone claim Irving is the finished article. He's had about 30 games for us and of course he's going to have some poorer ones as he learns the game. But surely you seen enough of him, his reading of the game to make space for himself, his dig when it gets physical, his shooting from range and his excellent passing to realise he's got what it takes?

He's a cut above most of the academy graduates we've seen. Only Hickey looked better in my opinion.

I'll be gutted if he doesn't sign on again.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )