JC7. The legend!

copa-mundial

Going on from the G.O.A.T. Thread. 

I wanted to give JC his own. 

Yes football is an always changing game. Different formations, different tactics etc... but back in JC's day, football seemed so simple. Natural wingers crossing or making chances for the striker. 

Our frontline of him, Robbo, Crabbe, Foster, and Bannon. Not forgetting Iain Ferguson for a spell too. The amount of goals between them all. Incredible. 

In my honest opinion. Colquhoun was sublime! He would float past defenders with ease. The ball stuck to his feet. His movement off the ball, his link up play. It was all just a joy to watch. 

I'd recommend any young Hearts fan to watch old videos of him. You'll see why all us older generation speak of him in such high regard!

As a kid at the time. I loved going to Tynecastle to watch Hearts. But I would always ask my Dad "is Colquhoun playing today?"

It was him I wanted to see.

I loved as the team come out the tunnel, he would always be the last Hearts player out. As he got to line. He would always jump up to do a header, then make his way to his position. This must have been his superstition. 

Then you would see what he became famous for, and how most of us know him. The number 7 jersey! Tucked in at the front. Out at the back. (Admit. We all emulated this in the park. What Hearts fan didn't.) 

The wee man is easily my favourite ever Hearts player. Yes I love both Robbo and Rudi, with Neil McCann close behind. JC is a clear winner. 

I'm so happy I got to see him play!

Thanks for the memories John Colquhoun. 

I'll leave you with your thoughts on him to share, and what I think was his best Hearts goal. 

He was brilliant. Kicked off the park every game but never let it get to him. A real legend for us. When he left to go to Millwall I was in tears. What a player and a privilege to of seen him. That goal v Motherwell in the Cup at a torrential Tynecastle when he ran from inside our half and scored remains one of my favourites 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Good thread!

What a fantastic wee player he was.  

He was part (an integral part) of the ‘modern day’ Terrible Trio.

If only he had scored in Munich.  🤷🏿‍♂️

been here before

Goal v Motherwell was something else. We had a great view fron the Shed. A special goal from a special player.

Got booted inside out and upside down most weeks but just got up and on with it again.

Best player Ive ever seen im a maroon jersey.

Im not usuall one for pofcasts or whatever theyre called but there was one on here recently by, I think, Amaruso Lets It Run which is a fantastic indepth interview with Colquhoun.

As the screachy lassie in the Shed used to ear peircingly wail  "Cum oan J.C".

I had three favourite players during the 80's. First it was Henry. Then it was JC. And I finally finished up with Robbo.

I've always had a thing for wingers and I suspect it was really JC that started it. Watching a player take the ball and dribble past three or four defenders is just really exciting to watch. And JC was a master at it. During the mid 80s he must have been easily the most fouled player in Scottish Football. Every week defenders would try to defend him fairly and then kick him off the park when they inevitably failed. Players these days simply wouldn't get away with dishing out the treatment JC used to be subjected to. I think it took it's toll on him to be honest. It felt like every season he would start off like a house on fire and would be tearing full backs to shreds but by the time you reached the last quarter of the season he couldn't reach that level so often. Six months of being fouled over and over again, week after week, will take it out of your legs I suppose.

As well as being a great dribbler and a great crosser, I always thought he was a stylish looking wee guy on the park as well. The long hair, the shirt hanging out his shorts at the back. He just looked the  part. 

The two goals I will always remember him for are the one against Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 1986. A peach of a volley in an otherwise not too exciting match. And the goal he scored earlier on that season in a 0-1  win up at Pittodrie. I had never seen us win at Pittodrie until that day so it's a moment that really stuck with me. I remember travelling home on the bus after that match and people actually starting to talk about winning the league as though it was something that could happen! It was very exciting and a huge moment in that season.

I have loads of good memories of JC. Definitely one of my faves that's for sure.

SectionDJambo
36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good thread!

I think I recall Alex MacDonald calling Colquhoun, Crabbe and Robertson the Tynie Terrors. A play on their size and where they played.

56 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

Yes football is an always changing game. Different formations, different tactics etc... but back in JC's day, football seemed so simple. Natural wingers crossing or making chances for the striker. 

Our frontline of him, Robbo, Crabbe, Foster, and Bannon. Not forgetting Iain Ferguson for a spell too. The amount of goals between them all. Incredible. 

In my honest opinion. Colquhoun was sublime! He would float past defenders with ease. The ball stuck to his feet. His movement off the ball, his link up play. It was all just a joy to watch. 

I'd recommend any young Hearts fan to watch old videos of him. You'll see why all us older generation speak of him in such high regard!

As a kid at the time. I loved going to Tynecastle to watch Hearts. But I would always ask my Dad "is Colquhoun playing today?"

I loved as the team come out the tunnel, he would always be the last Hearts player out. As he got to line. He would always jump up to do a header, then make his way to his position. This must have been his superstition. 

Then you would see what he became famous for, and how most of us know him. The number 7 jersey! Tucked in at the front. Out at the back. (Admit. We all emulated this in the park. What Hearts fan didn't.) 

The wee man is easily my favourite ever Hearts player. Yes I love both Robbo and Rudi, with Neil McCann close behind. JC is a clear winner. 

I'll leave you with your thoughts on him to share, and what I think was his best Hearts goal. 

exactly how I remember things.

The pitches were awful and the fouls were brutal yet he just got up time after time and ran at players again.  Everyone wanted to be like JC 

Definitely worth a thread of his own, and great comments above.   JC was worth the admission price alone.  After seeing his first few games for us, I remember saying to my Celtic pal at work how amazed I was that his team agreed to sell him.   His running,  dribbling and crossing style seemed different to anyone I'd seen at Hearts. What a guy.    Loved his brilliant airborne  lob over Bandy  at ER after cleverly flicking the ball over 2 Hibs players on the halfway line. 

For a wee guy who got  kicked to b*ggery every week, he seemed to bounce back quite quickly from the few injuries he had.   Even in his 2nd spell, he was a joy to watch.     And even now, it's amazing to think that Hearts (under Mercer) were able to attract players of his calibre in the 80s and early 90s. 

Terrific footballer. 

Very consistent for a wide player, always a goal threat and many were spectacular. Fearless, brave, unbreakable, shirt tucked in at the front...the image of JC, Robbo's turn and strike and big Davy's towering headers and runs from defence are seared into my mind. 

All three effortlessly makes the Hearts XI of my time. Probably always will.

Edited by martoon

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Good thread!

yep. So near but yet so far. A baw hair

ToadKiller Dog

A great player ,my favorite as a kid .

But I see these days he has become the Head of the mafia a fascistic neoliberal in cahoots with the Guardian newspaper according to the football is fixed blogger .

That certainly is some career advance .

Hearts legend is footballs top gangster 😆 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

We have conspired to overcomplicate the beautiful game, thats for sure. JC....legend.

The Treasurer

One of those rare players that was loved by all Hearts fans, and with good reason.

Fantastic player that never got the recognition outside of Tynecastle that he deserved

JC was one of the finest players I’ve ever seen wearing a Hearts strip , gave 100% every game and sometimes even after getting booted up and down the pitch . A classic Scottish football player , a winger who went down the line rather than cutting in . 

One wee point of order on the thread , all the names posted were great/fine players but no mention of Sandy Clark in amongst the forwards , 😡

Superb player.

Mind being at the piggery when he scored a couple of crackers.

My favourite goal is that Motherwell goal, beating half their team before slotting past the keeper.

11 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

Watching that video reminds you of how good a player Bannon was. And Jordan will never be forgiven for selling Scott Crabbe!

Edited by Rudy T

39 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

JC was one of the finest players I’ve ever seen wearing a Hearts strip , gave 100% every game and sometimes even after getting booted up and down the pitch . A classic Scottish football player , a winger who went down the line rather than cutting in . 

One wee point of order on the thread , all the names posted were great/fine players but no mention of Sandy Clark in amongst the forwards , 😡

Sandy gets a few shouts on the GOAT thread.

Салатные палочки

I didn't see much (or any at all) of JC first time round but I remember him signing again from Sunderland and he quickly became one of my favourite players of all time.  Whether he was as good as he was first time round I don't know.    

27 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Sandy gets a few shouts on the GOAT thread.

just me having my first grump of the morning 😃😃

Brilliant wee winger. 

Heart of a lion and banged in his fair share of goals. 

His goal in the cup semi against Dundee United was sublime. 

Every week he would take a kicking and always be back in the next game. 

Abiding memory was after 1986 when he came out of the Rutland Hotel and walked round all the fans greeting his eyes out. 

A one off was JC. 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

just me having my first grump of the morning 😃😃

It's allowed, I get the grump on when these threads appear, looking back at those teams, then thinking about the recent dross appearing in maroon😀

Booted left, right and centre and  carried off in games, yet always recovered in time for the following week. If he was still playing today, he'd probably test positive for Covid 19 on the Friday, but have recovered by the Saturday and still manage to play!! 

His lob over Leighton at Easter Road was sublime. One of those you watched go in, but didn't realise it was a goal until the ball just nestled in the bottom corner. Followed by scenes of absolute bedlum in the away end. 

21 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Brilliant wee winger. 

Heart of a lion and banged in his fair share of goals. 

His goal in the cup semi against Dundee United was sublime. 

Every week he would take a kicking and always be back in the next game. 

Abiding memory was after 1986 when he came out of the Rutland Hotel and walked round all the fans greeting his eyes out. 

A one off was JC. 

Probably the best winger in the league and managed a grand total of 2 Scotland caps, disgrace!

Brilliant wee player and for those too young to have seen him well you missed a treat.
Looking back I'd say for a flair player he was so consistent, hard to think you'd give him less than a 7/10 in any match.

33 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It's allowed, I get the grump on when these threads appear, looking back at those teams, then thinking about the recent dross appearing in maroon😀

Fully agree , 😀

23 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Probably the best winger in the league and managed a grand total of 2 Scotland caps, disgrace!

Yip, a crying shame he only won two caps. 🙁

One of a gang of impressionable players on myself as I started going to games in the 80s.  

Crossing.

Not underhit whipped in stuff you see now. It seemed like he used to hang the ball up perfectly every time for Big Sandy to attack, if not, it caused panic.  It helped that we generally had good players anyway who knew where to be but some players seem to struggle with crossing now?

Imagine telling JC to keep the ball and don’t lose it, or turn back and just keep possession.  

32 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I knew it was bad, but. It that bad.  

I shouldn’t be surprised, though.  

Tosh McKinlay was at his best with us, and got none.  As soon as he joined Celtic, he got a call up. 

Edited by Paolo

6 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I knew it was bad, but. It that bad.  

I shouldn’t be surprised, though.  

Tosh McKinlay was at his best with us, and got none.  As soon as he joined Celtic, he got a call up. 

Mike Galloway is another one, left for Celtic and was capped.

I don't think Sandy Clarke was ever capped, Crabbe was only at U21 and Robbo got 16, that's 600+ goals and less than 20 caps between then. 

I started getting taken  along to about 2 or 3 games a season in the early 90s (maybe late 80s) and whilst everybody knew Robbo was fantastic, I thought JC was phenomenal.

I forgot how many games he played for us, 345 over two spells according to Wiki with 66 goals, a good ratio for a winger. I loved him, just like everybody else. One of my saddest memories of him was his last appearance (I think it was). He just couldn't get into the game, I was in the enclosure down by the school end (H?), not my usual place, and it was likely that it was the first half as we were attacking that end. I got a really close look as he struggled to get into the game, he just couldn't get near the ball. I think he was subbed and went to St. Johnstone soon after where he only played half a dozen games. He was 34 by then so he had a good career for a winger.

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I didn’t think I needed to name names in my ‘Terrible Trio’ comment above.

I was, of course, referring to JC, Robbo and big Sandy.

Im always eternally grateful we were offered Davie Provan and said ‘Nah we’ll have JC instead’ twice the player for half the money.

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Brilliant wee player and for those too young to have seen him well you missed a treat.
Looking back I'd say for a flair player he was so consistent, hard to think you'd give him less than a 7/10 in any match.

I think that's why he seems to be universally loved by all Hearts fans who were privileged enough to witness him in action.

Always gave 100%, rarely had a poor game, could create and score goals and was so exciting to watch.  Also, no matter how much punishment he took back in the days when football was still a contact sport, he always seemed to bounce back, rarely missed a game through injury.

Compare that to the typical modern day player, who'd never be out of the treatment room after taking some of the punishment that JC did.