Jump to content

Underrated films


rudi must stay

Recommended Posts

Roxy Hearts

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JamesM48

    29

  • John Findlay

    19

  • Dawnrazor

    15

  • Tazio

    14

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlimOzturk

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 
 

His best particular films IMO 

 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

 

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

 

 

.......however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Class of 75

I thought Split Second was a good film. Set in a flooded London where Rutger Hauer plays a cop on the hunt for a demon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.

He is also obsessed with making films based on graphic novels as he’s a complete comic geek. Joe was a very good film by him and possibly one of his best ever in terms of more serious work. He has just presented a documentary series for Netflix about the history of bad language. First time I’ve ever seen a presenter overact as much.
And miraculously his hair appears to have grown back, thick, black, and lustrous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.


Explains a lot. Doesn’t excuse his utterly tragic over acting in some of the films. One film I managed to get through was Grandiose (sp) 

 

He played some sort of creepy as **** husband but the over acting made what was meant to be a suspense film into something more comedy 😂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:


Explains a lot. Doesn’t excuse his utterly tragic over acting in some of the films. One film I managed to get through was Grandiose (sp) 

 

He played some sort of creepy as **** husband but the over acting made what was meant to be a suspense film into something more comedy 😂 

I liked him in The Rock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:


Explains a lot. Doesn’t excuse his utterly tragic over acting in some of the films. One film I managed to get through was Grandiose (sp) 

 

He played some sort of creepy as **** husband but the over acting made what was meant to be a suspense film into something more comedy 😂 

Season of the Witch was about the time I watched one of his films, I liked that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 
 

His best particular films IMO 

 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

 

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona are very good films if his. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamie Walker Tash

No sure if it would be considered underrated but The Day After Tomorrow is a great film.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Iron Sky.

 

It's complete shite in the very best kind of way.

Best viewed with a few bevvies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Iron Sky.

 

It's complete shite in the very best kind of way.

Best viewed with a few bevvies.

Love it. I went to watch it a few weeks ago and it’s not on Netflix or Amazon Prime anymore. Raging. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm thinking of another film. Where Cusack plays a psychopath who is in prison, whom Kidman falls for.

Sorry John I didn’t mean to write a rather blunt “ no “ reply I was actually going out when I messaged you so didn’t have time to look it up . I recall it’s a very odd film  with a dubious pissing scene in it 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
16 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

 

Never no. Seen it enough times its great, another Nolan film I really like is Insomnia 

Yes insomnia was great . Really creepy performance from robin Williams 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 
 

His best particular films IMO 

 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

 

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Yes I really like him too . He’s a really good actor and really awful too at times which is hard to accomplish ! I think he had just had hard luck in chosen crap roles . As well as a good action guy in films he plays the goofy type romantic nerd really well in films like “ moonstruck “ and “ Peggy sue got married “ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

“ Peggy sue got married “ is really underrated . It’s similar to “ back to the future “ Kathleen Turner gets hit on head and goes back to her teenage high school years . Then she has to decide whether she will married her high school sweetheart ( Nicola Cage) who she did ( but this time she may not ) as she knows he turns out to be a waster but a lovable one at that time . It’s a lovely film about what you would do if you went back in time and what would you change or not ? Very thighs provoking as well as funny . There’s a great moving scene when she meets her dead grand parents again . A great film 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sorry John I didn’t mean to write a rather blunt “ no “ reply I was actually going out when I messaged you so didn’t have time to look it up . I recall it’s a very odd film  with a dubious pissing scene in it 😂😂😂

Not a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

 

Great film 👍. Good to see it getting some praise

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

Decent film considering it was Caine who was the star.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Decent film considering it was Caine who was the star.

I know what you mean. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Roxy Hearts

Rush is a good film about F1 regarding the rivalry between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. Good performances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore

Late to this but I always thought U Turn (1997) was a hidden gem that not many people had heard of. Directed by Oliver Stone and with Sean Penn in the lead role, it’s the story of a small time hustler driving to Vegas to pay off Russian gangsters when his car breaks down in a small hick town in the Arizona desert. The townsfolk are a strange and dodgy bunch and everything starts going wrong almost immediately. It’s also got a great cast. 
 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0120399/

Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
19 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 
 

His best particular films IMO 

 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

 

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

You better steer clear of The History of swear words. :facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk
22 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Me myself and Irene 


Amazingly funny film. One Jim Carey’s finest comedies. 
 

the first scene he changes into Hank is amazing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Late to this but I always thought U Turn (1997) was a hidden gem that not many people had heard of. Directed by Oliver Stone and with Sean Penn in the lead role, it’s the story of a small time hustler driving to Vegas to pay off Russian gangsters when his car breaks down in a small hick town in the Arizona desert. The townsfolk are a strange and dodgy bunch and everything starts going wrong almost immediately. It’s also got a great cast. 
 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0120399/

Yeah seen this probably a few years after it came out, enjoyed it, good Morricone soundtrack too I think.

 

 

On 04/01/2021 at 22:36, JWL said:

Calibre. Film about a couple of guys that go shooting in the highlands then it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

Aye enjoyed this, been a few lads trips to the Highlands, never going shooting!

 

Wake in Fright is one of my fave films and underrated I feel.  Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and hunting in the story too!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I P Knightley
On 05/01/2021 at 17:26, dougal said:

A couple of films which didn't seem to get much notice were The Accountant starring Ben Affleck and The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan. Never going to win any awards but good enjoyable action films. Think they were both on Netflix.

Seconded. I completely harmless action movie.

 

I have a soft spot for the film because I ended up attending the premiere of it in Leicester Square and managed to make a nuisance of myself on the red carpet, meeting Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick and having a brief chat. I pointed out to them that I'm a real accountant so I was looking forward to a damn fine movie. The 6 foot 5 bouncer who I also had a chat with was a trainee accountant which, I think, was the lucky coincidence that stopped me from being thrown out into the night!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo

Ava on netflix, get's 5.4/10 on IMDb so is underrated in my eyes. 

Easy watching action movie with a few decent actors thrown in. 

Doesn't drag on either. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

Cracking old film this...Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young, Will Patton

 

1987

6587C35E-B0E4-47A8-ABEE-D801CA0D0BA2.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cracking old film this...Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young, Will Patton

 

1987

6587C35E-B0E4-47A8-ABEE-D801CA0D0BA2.jpeg

Agreed very good thriller with a good twist. Jagged Edge is another.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed very good thriller with a good twist. Jagged Edge is another.

Spoiler

You’ve just ruined it🤣

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:
  Hide contents

You’ve just ruined it🤣

 

🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2021 at 11:01, JamesM48 said:

“ Peggy sue got married “ is really underrated . It’s similar to “ back to the future “ Kathleen Turner gets hit on head and goes back to her teenage high school years . Then she has to decide whether she will married her high school sweetheart ( Nicola Cage) who she did ( but this time she may not ) as she knows he turns out to be a waster but a lovable one at that time . It’s a lovely film about what you would do if you went back in time and what would you change or not ? Very thighs provoking as well as funny . There’s a great moving scene when she meets her dead grand parents again . A great film 

:oohmatron:

Btw it's a ****ing disgrace that this was left more than 24 hours for me to highlight!

Another vote for The Castle just a funny, quotable and lovable film 🙂

I like Coen Brothers films and LOVED the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 6 short Western tales, I quite happily watch and rewatch a tale or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cracking old film this...Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young, Will Patton

 

1987

6587C35E-B0E4-47A8-ABEE-D801CA0D0BA2.jpeg

Enjoyed that film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

🤣

Spoiler

Uri lay blew it John🤣

 

Edited by luckyBatistuta
Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

Ok, the ending was pish, but ‘What Lies Beneath’ is a decent on the edge of your seat horror. More about what you don’t see and what might happen, than just blood and guts. Only got 6.6 on IMDB, but I think it’s slightly higher than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

Any ‘Evil Dead’ film for me, brilliant stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
22 minutes ago, RobboM said:

:oohmatron:

Btw it's a ****ing disgrace that this was left more than 24 hours for me to highlight!

Another vote for The Castle just a funny, quotable and lovable film 🙂

I like Coen Brothers films and LOVED the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 6 short Western tales, I quite happily watch and rewatch a tale or two.

lol never notice it. LOL yes Coen brothers are geniuses really.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay

The long good Friday. Bob Hoskins as an East End villain who has upset the IRA. Helen Mirren plays his wife/ molly.

Two very familiar faces from TV and film right at the very end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Enjoyed that film.

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

Agreed. Apart from undersiege 2.

Absolute Power with Hackman and Eastwood is an enjoyable thriller.

Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The long good Friday. Bob Hoskins as an East End villain who has upset the IRA. Helen Mirren plays his wife/ molly.

Two very familiar faces from TV and film right at the very end.

Bob Hoskins was a very good actor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed. Apart from undersiege 2.

Absolute Power with Hackman and Eastwood is an enjoyable thriller.

Hackman is one of my favorite actors. Great film career. Commanding presence on screen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

You’ll like this then

 

 

E10102F4-9CA6-496F-B952-21ED0F041A30.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’ll like this then

 

 

E10102F4-9CA6-496F-B952-21ED0F041A30.jpeg

Might give it a try.  i like Liam Nesson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Might give it a try.  i like Liam Nesson. 

One of his better ones imo, watched it a couple of weeks ago. I’d already seen it, but it came on the tv and I ended up watching it all again and I’m not a big fan of his films.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

Another good one.

Mississippi Burning was also excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’ll like this then

 

 

E10102F4-9CA6-496F-B952-21ED0F041A30.jpeg

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...