Underrated films

rudi must stay

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Dark City never gets the recognition it deserves.

Very similar themes to The Matrix, which came out a year later.

Jennifer Connelly has never looked better. That's just a bonus to an excellent story.

Try to find the Director's Cut which removes the stupid voiceover track that actually spoils the entire plot before the film even starts.

Agree great film partly spoiled by the opening voice over

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• John Findlay

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen some pretty good Spanish films on Netflix. Ones that spring to mind are Toc Toc, 7 Años and El Bar. If you head into the International films section on Netflix, you can find some gems.

9 hours ago, Cade said:

Dark City never gets the recognition it deserves.

Very similar themes to The Matrix, which came out a year later.

Jennifer Connelly has never looked better. That's just a bonus to an excellent story.

Try to find the Director's Cut which removes the stupid voiceover track that actually spoils the entire plot before the film even starts.

A splendid film.

scott herbertson

Timecrimes 2007 - spanish with english subtitles  - a time travel muystery

I also really enjoyed "woman at war" recently at our local film club, despite my feelings in advance (film about a woman eco terorist in Iceland - sounds dull as hell but was actually great, with a good set of plot twists too)

516sXrwpVwL._SX300_.jpg

image.jpeg.88c41d5a86d0a1222e2d604439c5b180.jpeg

Салатные палочки
12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Reign over me - Brilliant film even if you don’t like Adam Sandler

Hateful 8 - not sure of the reception but of the tarrentino movies this very rarely gets a mention. Brilliant. 

Freddy got fingered - I must be one of the only people who could not stop laughing at this. 

I loved Freddie got Fingered.  Watched it a lot with my mates when it first came out on DVD and we used to quote it all the time.  Watched it again a while ago and although it wasn't the same, I still laughed at a lot of it.  That then led me to watching loads of Tom Green videos on youtube from his 90's show.  

Dead Man's shoes is an awesome movie if you can find it somewhere.

Paddy Considine is a great actor and he is very intense in this.

8 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

"I've got you right there mate!"

25 minutes ago, Gone said:

Inception is somehow underrated

Not sure about that. Often talked about as one of the best movies of all time. 

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Just rewatched Arrival. Beautiful, thought provoking sci-fi if you like that kind of thing. 

Oh that’s an incredible thought provoking film . Wish I had seen in on the big screen . Might rewatch again . Unsure if underrated as it had fine reviews and heaps of Oscar nominations . It’s similar to “ Contact” Amy Adams is long over due Oscar recognition 

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I was about to post A beautiful mind. But it won best picture and 3 other Oscars. :D

Russell Crowe is a superb actor . So commanding on screen . Reminds me a lot of Brando . 

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not sure about that. Often talked about as one of the best movies of all time. 

Di Caprio not winning an Oscar for his part was a travesty

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Anyone remember a fabulous comedy film from the mid 80s starring Denis Lawson (uncle of Ewan McGregor) called Reuben Reuben? 

Great film. 

I think that was Tom Conti in it mate 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I've seen some pretty good Spanish films on Netflix. Ones that spring to mind are Toc Toc, 7 Años and El Bar. If you head into the International films section on Netflix, you can find some gems.

I love Pedro almadovor films . They are madly comic but also serous as well . “ all about my mother “ “ talk to her “ “ the skin I live in “ and many others 

JudyJudyJudy

Unsure if under rated but I love “ the road to perdition “ with Tom Hanks Paul Newman and a creepy eerie performance from Jude Law . It’s incredible film .     Two films definitely underrated are “ The Exorcist 3 “ which is essentially a follow up to “ The Exorcist “ ( forget the laughable Ecorcist 2 ) George c Scott is in it and it really is so scary and has one of the scariest scenes ever in a horror . Heart stopping really . “ Psycho 2 “ was a great sequel to “ Psycho “ . It was a great homage to my favourite director Hitchcock and had so many twists snd turns in it with a creepy yet sympathetic performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates . It’s brilliant and some incredible set pieces in honour of the great Hitch really . 

Edited by JamesM48

13 minutes ago, Gone said:

Di Caprio not winning an Oscar for his part was a travesty

Di caprio wasn't even nominated that year

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

Just before Dead Man's Shoes, Considine starred with Samantha Morton in In America. Great drama about an Irish family in New York. Tugs at the heartstrings! 😪

51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh that’s an incredible thought provoking film . Wish I had seen in on the big screen . Might rewatch again . Unsure if underrated as it had fine reviews and heaps of Oscar nominations . It’s similar to “ Contact” Amy Adams is long over due Oscar recognition 

Absolutely love Contact 👌🏻

Tenaciousdandy
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Reign over me - Brilliant film even if you don’t like Adam Sandler

Hateful 8 - not sure of the reception but of the tarrentino movies this very rarely gets a mention. Brilliant. 

Freddy got fingered - I must be one of the only people who could not stop laughing at this. 

Reign over me is a great film, got it on blu Ray, Sandlers best acting performance by a mile 

Another great film (Kevin spacey film though)

K-Pax. 

Keeping on the sci fi/ alien theme -  District 9 is brilliant also. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, dsk1210 said:

It was on the TV a couple of years ago.

Strange film but worth watching.

The siege of Jadotville 

film based on fact about the Irish in peacekeepers in the Congo in the 70, not too much claret. Decent story. Was on you tube think it’s on Netflix now

Good thread, lots I’ll be checking up on.

Cinema Paradiso - not underrated as it won all the awards going,  but you cannot find it anywhere.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I think that was Tom Conti in it mate 

Spot on James, it was Tom Conti, my mistake!

14 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

The Castle- Australian Comedy, absolutely brilliant. 

Absolute classic film with many catchphrases I still use today.

Another great Aussie film is "Kenny".  About a guy who runs a portaloo business for festivals/exhibitions etc.  Some of his sayings are fantastic as well.  Not to be confused with the 'Kenny' dalgleish movie.

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, redjambo said:

El Bar is brilliant. And very witty. 

Weakened Offender
33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was on the TV a couple of years ago.

Strange film but worth watching.

Personally think it's one of the best British films in the past 30 years. 

Russell Crowe is a superb actor . So commanding on screen . Reminds me a lot of Brando . 

He's class. 

12 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

A ghost story

Calvary

The Guard

The Way

Crazy Heart

Gods and Generals

Big Fish

Dogma

The Guard is a fantastic film. 

The Natural Order
18 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Just rewatched Arrival. Beautiful, thought provoking sci-fi if you like that kind of thing. 

If you liked that try "Another Earth". 2011 Brit Marling Film.

The Natural Order

I love Pedro almadovor films . They are madly comic but also serous as well . “ all about my mother “ “ talk to her “ “ the skin I live in “ and many others 

"The Skin I Live In" is an incredible film. It was the first Almodovar film I seen and only seen it by accident. Had some spare time and nipped into the cinema but all the screens were showing some shit like Harry Potter, Twighlight, Hunger Games or something. That was the only other film they had on.

Boston Jambo
14 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Anyone remember a fabulous comedy film from the mid 80s starring Denis Lawson (uncle of Ewan McGregor) called Reuben Reuben? 

Great film. 

Excellent movie, but it was actually Tom Conti in the lead role.

Gowan McGland: Deprived of their support, her breasts dropped like hanged men.

N Lincs Jambo
8 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

Excellent movie, but it was actually Tom Conti in the lead role.

Gowan McGland: Deprived of their support, her breasts dropped like hanged men.

Yeah JamesM48 pointed that out a bit earlier. I stand corrected - it was indeed Tom Conti. I must have got confused with Local Hero even though there is no real similarity in plot line. Still an excellent movie as you say.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Absolutely love Contact 👌🏻

Yes its great. Quite emtional too. 

1 hour ago, Gone said:

The Prestige

Only got round to watching it recently and it's one of my favourite Nolan films

Its very underrated 

1 hour ago, westbow said:

Good thread, lots I’ll be checking up on.

Cinema Paradiso - not underrated as it won all the awards going,  but you cannot find it anywhere.

Brilliant film. I still " nearly" when the older Mario finds the old kissing film reel and watches it alone in the cinema. Its beautily filmed  and has a stirring score by Enio Morricone 

1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Spot on James, it was Tom Conti, my mistake!

Thats ok. He was nominated for an Oscar for it. 

53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He's class. 

Yes a great actor. So commanding on screen. 

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

"The Skin I Live In" is an incredible film. It was the first Almodovar film I seen and only seen it by accident. Had some spare time and nipped into the cinema but all the screens were showing some shit like Harry Potter, Twighlight, Hunger Games or something. That was the only other film they had on.

Yes its brilliant. Basically a homage to Hitchcocks " Vertigo" Outstanding. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Yeah JamesM48 pointed that out a bit earlier. I stand corrected - it was indeed Tom Conti. I must have got confused with Local Hero even though there is no real similarity in plot line. Still an excellent movie as you say.

Im bit of film buff, One night a mate went through who won Oscars ( Best Actor and Actress)  each year from the beginning of them in the 1920s to present day  and I got a high percentage of them right.  I love the escapism of films. 

N Lincs Jambo
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Im bit of film buff, One night a mate went through who won Oscars ( Best Actor and Actress)  each year from the beginning of them in the 1920s to present day  and I got a high percentage of them right.  I love the escapism of films. 

Could do with a bit of the escapism right now. Not so much films but I have recently developed an unhealthy desire to watch mindless TV quiz programmes. Serves the same purpose I suppose 😂