• JudyJudyJudy

• John Findlay

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Could do with a bit of the escapism right now. Not so much films but I have recently developed an unhealthy desire to watch mindless TV quiz programmes. Serves the same purpose I suppose 😂

Very true. I have  a stick on my telly where i can basically watch any film. Ive started from the 1920s and now at 1950 !!! Watched a few great oldies lately. Particularly like " film noir " films , with Bogart etc.

" The Maltese Falcon " and " Dark Passage " the other night. Watched a 1950 film last night " Caged" which was excellent about a woman in jail Groundbreaking for its time of the depiction of prison and how it can dehuminise people.  Watched several brilliant Burt Lancaster films too. He was another incredible actor and that voice.  Oh tell me about the mindless tv quizes lol BUT the " Beat the chaser" is actualy really good. Its been quite exciting  the last few nights. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very true. I have  a stick on my telly where i can basically watch any film. Ive started from the 1920s and now at 1950 !!! Watched a few great oldies lately. Particularly like " film noir " films , with Bogart etc.

" The Maltese Falcon " and " Dark Passage " the other night. Watched a 1950 film last night " Caged" which was excellent about a woman in jail Groundbreaking for its time of the depiction of prison and how it can dehuminise people.  Watched several brilliant Burt Lancaster films too. He was another incredible actor and that voice.  Oh tell me about the mindless tv quizes lol BUT the " Beat the chaser" is actualy really good. Its been quite exciting  the last few nights. 

I like the old Cagney films as well. 

Never seen any for a longtime.

N Lincs Jambo

That's one of those I've been watching. Can't be arsed with tipping point though. 

Middle daughter home now from uni and not looking like she's going back for a while - cue all the Harry Potters again plus the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

JudyJudyJudy

" The Grifters"

1990 is a brilliant neo film noir. It stars Anjelica Huston , John Cusack and Annette Bening.  It about a trio of hustlers and con merchants and has a very dark plot .  Has to be seen to be believed and for some of you lads on this there is a really   saucey scene in it with Bening when she seduces Cusack.   Its really a great plot and is like an old film noir film with dangerous " broads" and men who fall for them and lose everything... " a femme fatale . It wasn't underrated as such as was nominated for a few Oscars and Huston should have walked off with the Oscar but got beat by Kathy Bates for " Misery" which was a good performance but not as good as Huston i feel.  

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I like the old Cagney films as well. 

Never seen any for a longtime.

Yeah as i said i have this stick and it links me to a site so i can basically get any film on it. Its great.  I have loads of DVDS but never watch them as I got rid of my DVD and CD player years ago.  Yes Cagney was top notch too. 

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, JamesM48 said:

" The Grifters"

1990 is a brilliant neo film noir. It stars Anjelica Huston , John Cusack and Annette Bening.  It about a trio of hustlers and con merchants and has a very dark plot .  Has to be seen to be believed and for some of you lads on this there is a really   saucey scene in it with Bening when she seduces Cusack.   Its really a great plot and is like an old film noir film with dangerous " broads" and men who fall for them and lose everything... " a femme fatale . It wasn't underrated as such as was nominated for a few Oscars and Huston should have walked off with the Oscar but got beat by Kathy Bates for " Misery" which was a good performance but not as good as Huston i feel.  

One old film i've never watched but really should is The Third Man. Set in post WW2 Vienna (a place I know very well) when the city was divided, like Berlin, into 4 occupation zones. Have you seen that one?

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

That's one of those I've been watching. Can't be arsed with tipping point though. 

Middle daughter home now from uni and not looking like she's going back for a while - cue all the Harry Potters again plus the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

No I havent sank to watching the " Tipping point"...its a bloody arcade game really lol 

" The Grifters"

Annette Bening is stunning in Grifters. Also a very good film.  

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, N Lincs Jambo said:

One old film i've never watched but really should is The Third Man. Set in post WW2 Vienna (a place I know very well) when the city was divided, like Berlin, into 4 occupation zones. Have you seen that one?

Ofcourse. The great Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten.  Loved the end scene and the rousing music.  Forever famous for that great speech from Harry Lime: 

" After all it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."  

Superb. 

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Ofcourse. The great Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten.  Loved the end scene and the rousing music.  Forever famous for that great speech from Harry Lime: 

" After all it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."  

Superb. 

I think i need to watch that one. Great quote!

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Annette Bening is stunning in Grifters. Also a very good film.  

Yes its in my top 5.  I like the homage to " The Maltese Falcon" when Lily * Huston is in the lift and goes  down it . Its a copy of the scene when Mary Astor does the same in Falcon.  Yes she is a superb actress. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, N Lincs Jambo said:

I think i need to watch that one. Great quote!

It is and says a lot doesnt it ? 

A film that baffled me that it didn’t make a bigger impact was Free Fire. It’s like a Tarantino type film but without the self indulgent script. Good dialogue, great design, constant action, and an excellent cast. Also unlike a lot of modern films it doesn’t outstay its welcome by being too long. 

1 hour ago, The Natural Order said:

If you liked that try "Another Earth". 2011 Brit Marling Film.

Sorry to disagree but this was one of the worst films I've watched, one of those trendy modern independent films where damn all happens and it's all "atmosphere". Coincidentally, although perhaps not, Brit Marling's "Sound of My Voice" was also one of the worst films I've watched.

rudi must stay
49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A film that baffled me that it didn’t make a bigger impact was Free Fire. It’s like a Tarantino type film but without the self indulgent script. Good dialogue, great design, constant action, and an excellent cast. Also unlike a lot of modern films it doesn’t outstay its welcome by being too long. 

It was alright but the directors other stuff is incredible. Kill List is a great looking film and Sightseers was brilliant too, even his film Happy New Year Colin Burstead, which is on iPlayer constantly fitted in great with his filmography, I think Wheatley is a very clever bloke and a right good director so I have been meaning to give it another go and I think I will soon. Maybe I expected too much from it...

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Another film I like that fits great with this thread is Momento. Very underrated 

Double post 

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

It was alright but the directors other stuff is incredible. Kill List is a great looking film and Sightseers was brilliant too, even his film Happy New Year Colin Burstead, which is on iPlayer constantly fitted in great with his filmography, I think Wheatley is a very clever bloke and a right good director so I have been meaning to give it another go and I think I will soon. Maybe I expected too much from it...

Sightseers is a fantastic film, I even enjoyed High-Rise. I would also recommend nobody ever watches A Field In England. 

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sightseers is a fantastic film, I even enjoyed High-Rise. I would also recommend nobody ever watches A Field In England. 

Tried that a few times. Very atmospheric 

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

If you liked that try "Another Earth". 2011 Brit Marling Film.

Is that who did the OA?

Adam_the_legend
20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I thought Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson was decent.

Payback was a brilliant Mel Gibson movie. Not sure if underrated but certainly didn’t get the attention I think it deserved. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Payback was a brilliant Mel Gibson movie. Not sure if underrated but certainly didn’t get the attention I think it deserved. 

👍

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Another film I like that fits great with this thread is Momento. Very underrated 

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Double post 

Posted twice so you wouldn't forget it? :D

Some strong ideas here for my movie watching, which has become very stale. Keep them coming! Afraid I have nothing to contribute that I can think of but will definitely be looking back for some Jimmy Cagney films. Angels with Dirty Faces and White Heat were among my favourites as a teenager when they used to get shown on the telly.

A couple of films which didn't seem to get much notice were The Accountant starring Ben Affleck and The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan. Never going to win any awards but good enjoyable action films. Think they were both on Netflix.

The Natural Order
1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Is that who did the OA?

Yes, that's her although I've not seen The OA.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Have you watched the version which has the sequence of events in chronological order? 

John Findlay
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

" The Grifters"

Annette Benning is superb in that film. 

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Have you watched the version which has the sequence of events in chronological order? 

Never no. Seen it enough times its great, another Nolan film I really like is Insomnia 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Never no. Seen it enough times its great, another Nolan film I really like is Insomnia 

Worth a watch. The DVD had this as one of its extras. 

Insomnia is very good and Robin Williams played a great role. 

rudi must stay
12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Worth a watch. The DVD had this as one of its extras. 

Insomnia is very good and Robin Williams played a great role. 

👍

JudyJudyJudy
45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Annette Benning is superb in that film. 

I think they all were. It was almost a debut film for her and she was fairly on fire and sassy as hell in the role of Myra. Brilliant

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think they all were. It was almost a debut film for her and she was fairly on fire and sassy as hell in the role of Myra. Brilliant

John Cusack is an underrated actor.

Superb with Dan Ackroyd in Grosse point blank, along with his sister Joan and Minnie Driver.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Superb with Dan Ackroyd in Grosse point blank, along with his sister Joan and Minnie Driver.

Yes he has. Never really fullfilled his potential for whatever reason really.  I was just thinking that Annette Bening played a femme fatale in " The Grifters" and more recently she played the ultimate femme fatale  Gloria Graham in " Film stars dont die in Liverpool".  Its the kind of part Graham would have easily got her teeth into.  " Gross point blank " good too. He was also in a film where he played a serial killer but cant recall the name. It was great. Ill look it up. 

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Its called " The Frozen Ground" with Nicolas Cage too. its pretty good. Not brilliant but good enough 

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Its called " The Frozen Ground" with Nicolas Cage too. its pretty good. Not brilliant but good enough 

Is Nicole Kidman in that too?

John Findlay
Just now, JamesM48 said:

No 

I'm thinking of another film. Where Cusack plays a psychopath who is in prison, whom Kidman falls for.

Carl Fredrickson

I was going to suggest Arlington  Road & The Game but others have done so. 

My recommendations would be:

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Glory (first film I mind seeing Denzal Washington in)

No Country for Old Men

Burn After Reading

I will stop at that. 

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm thinking of another film. Where Cusack plays a psychopath who is in prison, whom Kidman falls for.

The paperboy

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 

His best particular films IMO 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

.......however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.

I thought Split Second was a good film. Set in a flooded London where Rutger Hauer plays a cop on the hunt for a demon. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.

He is also obsessed with making films based on graphic novels as he’s a complete comic geek. Joe was a very good film by him and possibly one of his best ever in terms of more serious work. He has just presented a documentary series for Netflix about the history of bad language. First time I’ve ever seen a presenter overact as much.
And miraculously his hair appears to have grown back, thick, black, and lustrous.