• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Ribble

• sadj

What went wrong for him compared to last season? I remember people here saying he could be a good replacement for CL based on how well he was doing with them.

Maybe realised he had taken them as far as he could and decided for the benefit of the club to leave and give them time to get a new manager in and give that new man time to salvage their season. Novel concept that.

Hampden Demolition

A good manager that has went through a bad spell. He done a lot of good things at Motherwell and clearly has an eye for a player.

Just now, naeclue said:

I’m one of those who thought he’d be a good fit for Hearts, think he’s squeezed out as much as as possible at Motherwell. Still rate him.

I agree. Although Robinson also signed Elliott Frear...

Neil Dongcaster
8 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Think there must be a lot going on behind the scenes. Best bet is money problems !

Doubt it. Very well run club who have raked in decent fees recently.

7 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Think there must be a lot going on behind the scenes. Best bet is money problems !

The sales they've made since he's been there have cleared the clubs external debt. But I wonder if it's something like being told Campbell is away in January so they can get some cash for him, and Robinson's had enough. 

Worst record in the top flight if you look at the last 6 games.

Motherwells form in 2020 has been largely dogshit.

Probably best for him to go.

Edited by Bunny Munro

8 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Remember just over a year ago there were people on here screaming out for him to get the Hearts job. 

Maybe he thinks he has taken Motherwell as far as he can? 
He done really well for them and would have been a damn sight better for Hearts than Levein or Stendel that’s for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

A good manager that has went through a bad spell. He done a lot of good things at Motherwell and clearly has an eye for a player.

I agree

7 minutes ago, naeclue said:

I’m one of those who thought he’d be a good fit for Hearts, think he’s squeezed out as much as as possible at Motherwell. Still rate him.

Same. Working with the squad at Hearts I could see him doing well.  That said, I'm happy with Neilson being back at the club.

Rare you get a manager walking away when he realises it's no longer working. Fair play if thats the case. Some would sit it out and take every penny from the club.

The last time he was going to resign, he went 'stuff it, I'm putting the young players in'.

He got lucky then. His luck has run out. Which can happen when you sell your best players and it turns out your youth system is a bit more ordinary. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Rare you get a manager walking away when he realises it's no longer working. Fair play if thats the case. Some would sit it out and take every penny from the club.

Maybe aware that they have no money to pay him a severance payment. Who knows.   Certainly something very wrong at Motherwell just now 

A bit surprised. He did well for them and seems to have a natural enthusiasm when he talks football. It may be that he's mentioned to their board who he'd like to get in during the transfer window and they've told him it isn't going to happen, and fair play to them. With the Covid situation i expect, like every other club, every penny has to be monitored closely. 

34 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Remember just over a year ago there were people on here screaming out for him to get the Hearts job. 

33 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

29 minutes ago, naeclue said:

At the time he was the best candidate for the job, just shows how quickly things turn around in football 

Managers and coaches definitely have a certain shelf life these days, after 3 years it appears they lose the power and influence among the players, the days of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean are long gone 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

They lost players again in the summer. Tait for example left for St Mirren, though no superstar, you lose the consistency. 

Motherwell have chopped and changed so much inevitable it takes a toll. Lack of consistency killed us last season 

Just now, neilnunb said:

Would love Motherwell to go down. Been far too long since they tasted relegation. 😁

Maybe long-term but there's a few others i'd like to see relegated long before them, like Hamilton, St Mirren and even St Johnstone. Hamilton's stadium is pish and not top league level, St Mirren hang on the coat-tails of the old firm, Smeltic in particular and St Johnstone have little to no supporters which brings nothing to the Premier League, plus they are willing to bend over for the old firm boaby and allow them to turn McDermaid Park into an almost home game, selling tickets for three stands to them. None of them would be missed in the Premier. 

36 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Said after the killie game that they need fresh blood, clearly been told he's getting hee haw to spend in jan

The timing as the transfer window opens seems more than a coincidence.

A few clubs beginning to feel the pinch?

35 minutes ago, naeclue said:

Thought this at the time. It did seem clear his agent was pushing him at the time as the resources at Motherwell were low then he was at his peak

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Thought this at the time. It did seem clear his agent was pushing him at the time as the resources at Motherwell were low then he was at his peak

I could be wrong here but... didn't i read or hear somewhere that he was open to the Hearts job but said he wouldn't be interviewed for it as they already know what he's about or something to that effect? A sort of come and get me or don't waste my time type thing.

vlad on the tyne

Achieved alot at motherwell to be fair on a small budget and probably should have been the manager to replace levein. Don't think we would have been relegated if he was. 

30 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

wont get any dole money, 😵

A manager can only do so much at a selling club. Motherwell, St Johnstone, Killie, Hamilton, St Mirren managers are all in the same boat...It's why Scottish football is a poor product. 

Just now, vlad on the tyne said:

Achieved alot at motherwell to be fair on a small budget and probably should have been the manager to replace levein. Don't think we would have been relegated if he was. 

Achieved a lot? in 3 years he's finished 7th, 8th and then 3rd in a unfinished season where 5 of the unplayed 8 would have been against the teams around/above them so every chance they wouldn't have finished in 3rd had the season been played to a finish. The achievements he did have were in 17/18 when they won 4 games that they would have been classed as underdogs to reach 2 cup finals. 

12 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

13 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I could be wrong here but... didn't i read or hear somewhere that he was open to the Hearts job but said he wouldn't be interviewed for it as they already know what he's about or something to that effect? A sort of come and get me or don't waste my time type thing.

He was linked with job before levein left and the rumour was his agent had leaked that which don’t think budge liked 

10 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd imagine the club know fine well what he's all about and that's the reason we went nowhere near him. 

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

I'd imagine the club know fine well what he's all about and that's the reason we went nowhere near him. 

Yep, you could be right but if it had been or was true then it shows either a lack of respect to Hearts or arrogance on his part one way or the other.

vlad on the tyne

Depends how you want to dress it up. The wage structure he operated under was way smaller than ours. He got to two cup finals and managed to give Scott and turnbull the game time that made them serious money. He also signed the centre half we should have from Livi. 

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Did he not have some sort of complaint about beating up his wife or GF at Waverley at the time? or was that dealt with? Cannot see Ann Budge having much time for a guy who puts the boot into his woman...

Depends how you want to dress it up. The wage structure he operated under was way smaller than ours. He got to two cup finals and managed to give Scott and turnbull the game time that made them serious money. He also signed the centre half we should have from Livi. 

Could have swore Hearts played in the 2019 and 2020 Scottish cup finals without Steven Robinson at the helm.

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

A manager can only do so much at a selling club. Motherwell, St Johnstone, Killie, Hamilton, St Mirren managers are all in the same boat...It's why Scottish football is a poor product. 

Totally, the teams you mentioned are only interested in surviving in top league no real ambitions.

Just now, Spellczech said:

Did he not have some sort of complaint about beating up his wife or GF at Waverley at the time? or was that dealt with? Cannot see Ann Budge having much time for a guy who puts the boot into his woman...

Think that was afterwards (they had the fight at the christmas market) and would have only added to what Hearts will have known about his 'character'

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yep, you could be right but if it had been or was true then it shows either a lack of respect to Hearts or arrogance on his part one way or the other.

Doubt there was any real interest from either side

vlad on the tyne
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Could have swore Hearts played in the 2019 and 2020 Scottish cup finals without Steven Robinson at the helm.

Fair point but his budget was no where near ours and the draws we got did you not expect that outcome? Because I did. 

Fair point but his budget was no where near ours and the draws we got did you not expect that outcome? Because I did. 

You expected us to beat Rangers in the QF 2020?

1 minute ago, Chaps said:

Tommy Wright must be a stick on for the job.

....then i really would like to see then relegated. Can't stand that whinging bawbag. Showed respect to every other club in post-match interviews than he ever did Hearts. I see him as more....Hibernian-esque with a chip on his shoulder than as  the manager of anyone else. Maybe this is why i despise St Johnstone more now as opposed to decades of indifference towards them. Leave him to sit at home locked in his study reading some shitey fantasy novel while twirling his hair wondering if it's needing re-dyed yet. 

Sorry...over the top there. Not really a fan as you can probably tell.

1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Whilst I didn’t want him here you can’t deny their signings have been decent under him

Whiny wee shite though